✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Pitchfork: Albums of the Year 2010

The Escapist

That may all be true. However, I think the one thing that really matters is the music itself. I don't care about all the hype or what other people say. I've went and got albums that other people have hyped up and been highly disappointed. I merely go by what my ears tell me, and that's what should matter more than anything. Kanye's album is fine, but it's not the best I've heard this year, in my opinion.

I do that as well, trust me, I was just looking at it from the perspective of everyone else. Kanye's is still fifth on my list though and I thoroughly enjoy it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone could like an album just for the hype, that would be silly. They would be no better than people who listen to mainstream music, only because their friends are and not because they genuinely like it. Arcade Fire would be a good example to use where the hype was not matched with equally good reviews, many critics finding it not as good as expected, and then coming back at the end of the year, when the hype has died down, and actually enjoying it enough to put it on their end of year lists. I myself, didn't enjoy the album that much at first and it probably took me a whole week or two until I really really liked it. Back to Kanye, I don't believe it was just a hype record, it definitely had something behind it all. I believe a year after it's release critics will realise whether they made a mistake or not. The question is, where would've they put it if it wasn't first? What other albums that has been released this year thoroughly deserved the position more than he did. Sure, there are lots of great albums that individual like, and thats fine, the whole idea of music is for people to listen to music they individually enjoy, but when it comes to an end-of-year list by Pitchfork, I don't think they would be able to put any other album in front of it.

Now you may be thinking that I believe Pitchfork is like God or something, I don't. But the list does matter to a large ammount of people, whether they be part of this forum or not. I do love lists however, and to see how much work they put into their end of year lists, to try and make it work by their standards, I admire. I enjoy looking at the list, to try and see where they went wrong, to see what was right, to see whether or not you predicted some album to be placed where it was. To know that on that list, there would at least be one album that you have listened to and enjoyed. To know that, each album on the list was thoroughly reasoned to get where it was, not just thrown on there in a flurry, is a good thing to know. They may have their haters, like Kanye, but you have to respect them for having the guts to do some of the things they do.

Guest kmm1482

No Black Keys??!?!!! I think The National's album should be much higher!!

I like Kanye and bought his album because of all the hype. I've listened through it maybe twice and several songs on there own a few other times. I don't see it as "perfect" and "Best Album of the Year" at all!

I don't have an opinion Eddie, this year I had no real chance to listen to albums. I guess you know why.

Also Briggs, I get your point, but well, I really thought shitty LP4 got critical acclaim since it was everywhere D:

edit: I did make time to check out a few, including Kanye's (very recently, which I liked) and The Suburbs a few months ago. While Kanye's was good, I could not stand The Suburbs.

Got highly overrated. No offense, I know you're a big fan of AF and you liked Kanye's album a lot, but while those albums are good in their own way, they got overrated.

Whaaaaa?

I have to disagree as far as "The Suburbs" is concerned. That's actually my favorite Arcade Fire album now. I don't really know what it is about it, but it has something that really caught my attention and really showed me how great they are. Not to mention that Win's vocals are much nicer to my ears on this album. I think it's quite great, and when I finally do compile my "Albums of the Year" list, it's definitely going in my top 5.

Whaaaaa?

I have to disagree as far as "The Suburbs" is concerned. That's actually my favorite Arcade Fire album now. I don't really know what it is about it, but it has something that really caught my attention and really showed me how great they are. Not to mention that Win's vocals are much nicer to my ears on this album. I think it's quite great, and when I finally do compile my "Albums of the Year" list, it's definitely going in my top 5.

Who said it's bad?

It's bad in MY opinion. Overrated? Yes. That was the whole point. You, like every AF fangirl/boy, only focused on me saying it's not as good and immediately came and told me that stuff to make me see they're good when all I'm trying to say is that they got overrated :thinking: There's a difference between overrated and good. They're not shit, I like them a lot even if I don't like The Suburbs.

it was pretty over hyped for a not very special rock album, in my opinion...

Funeral and Neon Bible are extremely interesting. They both have very special sounds but The Suburbs, to me was just a normal rock album.

my opinion please don't kill me :P

I love Funeral and Neon Bible too, also, The Suburbs is way too long for my liking D:

Careful :P

Who said it's bad?

It's bad in MY opinion. Overrated? Yes. That was the whole point. You, like every AF fangirl/boy, only focused on me saying it's not as good and immediately came and told me that stuff to make me see they're good when all I'm trying to say is that they got overrated :thinking: There's a difference between overrated and good. They're not shit, I like them a lot even if I don't like The Suburbs.

Wow, way to totally put words in my mouth, Alexa.

Firstly, I'm not the biggest Arcade Fire fan on the face of the planet. In fact, until I gave them a second chance a little over a year ago, I hated them. For you to insinuate that I'm a blind Arcade Fire fangirl is absurd.

Secondly, never did I once attempt to force my opinion on you. I merely stated why I disagreed with you. Tell me where in my post I said, "OOOH LOOK, ALEXA, THIS IS WHY YOU'RE WRONG, AND YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO MEEE." Seriously. All I did was explain why, in my personal opinion, "The Suburbs" is among the best I've heard this year.

I know, did I impose it? I'm telling her I never said AF, as a band, is bad, just that she missed the point cos I only said I think the album got overrated.

Um, no, there was no point to be missed. Once again, you're putting words into my mouth by saying that I said you hated Arcade Fire, because I never even attempted to imply that. Not at all.

Wow, way to totally put words in my mouth, Alexa.

Firstly, I'm not the biggest Arcade Fire fan on the face of the planet. In fact, until I gave them a second chance a little over a year ago, I hated them. For you to insinuate that I'm a blind Arcade Fire fangirl is absurd.

Secondly, never did I once attempt to force my opinion on you. I merely stated why I disagreed with you. Tell me where in my post I said, "OOOH LOOK, ALEXA, THIS IS WHY YOU'RE WRONG, AND YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO MEEE." Seriously. All I did was explain why, in my personal opinion, "The Suburbs" is among the best I've heard this year.

Um, no, there was no point to be missed. Once again, you're putting words into my mouth by saying that I said you hated Arcade Fire, because I never even attempted to imply that. Not at all.

How did I put words in your mouth? I did not. You just did what every Arcade Fire fan has done everytime I disagree with the statement "The Suburbs is an amazing album".

Come, tell me you like it and that it's good as if I was a hater. I know, I get it, you LIKE/LOVE The Suburbs, and you voice your opinion: GOOD, but I have the right to voice my opinion too.

edited. Don't be a b*.

Did I ever once say you had no right to voice your opinion? No. People having different opinions is fine. In fact, until you implied, as quoted in your own words a few posts above, that I was trying to force my opinion on you, I had no problem at all.

For example:

"You, like every AF fangirl/boy, only focused on me saying it's not as good and immediately came and told me that stuff to make me see they're good when all I'm trying to say is that they got overrated"

As I mentioned to you, I'm not like that at all. Also, I don't force my opinions on other people. Am I going to speak my mind when I see something I don't agree with? Absolutely. However, I'm not going to just sit here and dismiss whatever you say just because I don't agree with you. That's just wrong. That, Alexa, is what I meant by you putting words into my mouth. I never meant for you to view what I said as some blind rant by someone who's completely biased in favor of Arcade Fire.

Also, while we're on that topic:

"Come, tell me you like it and that it's good as if I was a hater." (quoted from post above)

It's not part of my personality to treat people as "haters" just because they don't have the same views in terms of music as I do. That's just shallow. I would never go down to that condescending level and patronize people in that manner. I don't see how a surprised reaction equates to "OMG, YOU SUCK." It was just weird because you're one of the only people I've heard say that they don't like "The Suburbs." All of my friends in real life who know them love that album. That's all that I meant.