✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

When you read books,

Zeya

do you turn every page with caution and hold it a certain way so that the book would still look like new after you finish reading it (anal), or do you just read it the way you are comfortable without caring?

I personally always do the latter. I like my books to look like it is well used. I'd just fold some pages that I found interesting to go through again and write things on it when I feel like it. I love looking at books that gives the impression that it has been read over and over again. It gives the feeling that the owner really enjoyed reading it, therefore the content would probably had given an amazing experience to the reader, enough to make them not care about how it will look at the end of the read.

However, I do know people who are so anal with their books, they wrap them with plastic covers and often refuse to lend people their books for the fear of them damaging it. They open the pages just enough for them to read all the words so that the side part of the book that glued every page together doesn't crack (I'm not sure if I explained this right but whatever), and some even have certain ways of sitting down when reading the books cause when you for example lie down, you'd have the tendency to hold the book in a way that can damage it.

Which one are you?

I would do it with my uni books probably, torturing that is, but not with my novels.. never. I'm very anal with them haha. Not to the extent of wrapping them with plastic covers though, that's just pure madness. But I still do care a lot about them. I'd just like them to age forever with me, ya know. Writing on them is just crazy though.. why would I do that? I do write on my uni books excessively (mainly from boredom or just to emphasise important parts for memorising) but not the novels. If I liked a certain part of the book I would just write the number of the page or the line itself in my personal little notebook. I would NEVER bend the page.. man. I can be a bit of an ass when lending my books too cause I know people wouldn't care about them as much, so I won't lend them to just anyone. Yep. And umm, yeah, I feel the same way about my albums & DVDs haha. Too careful with those too.

Although when it comes to some second hand books I got, I do love the rustic feel to them. The yellowish pages, the bended parts, the occasional writings. Sometimes that appeals to me but I won't like it to happen to mine for some reason.

i use to care my books, no write on them, though i 'fold/bend' the corner to know where i am reading or to sign some interesting part, instead of using a proper separator thing cause i have a bunch but all misplaced somewhere.

my most used books end looking old, so if i wouldn't care to use them delicatelly they'll be destroyed after few reads.

normally when i start a good book i end laying so as you said makes me open more the pages.

me and most my friends find it unrespectful if someone write on a book we've lended, one shouldn't damage others property. if i need to highlight something i use to copy it or note the main part on another paper instead of underlining it.

another matter is how i place them, mostly are on proper shelves well placed specially collections (encyclopedia, comics), but at times not, at times they are apparently lost under a pile of papers on my desk, or on a box. to get more room in the shelf some them are placed as _ instead of | as it gives more room that way, my dad finds it weird :| i need more shelves or less books i'm afraid :anxious:

though apparently we won't need all that with the digital, though that destroy the eyesight due to the illuminated computer screen. :\

if I'm reading my books, I don't really care that much but if the books belong to someone else I try to be careful because you never know if the owner is a maniac :P

Now I'm reading some books for my degree exam and I write all over the book because it's mine, but just with a pen I can erase later

I torture my books. I think that somehow I want my books to be damaged so that people can see that they are read.

I handle CD's (+ booklet) with much care, however. Not books.

Same goes for me. I am very particular when it comes to my music stuffs.

I would do it with my uni books probably, torturing that is, but not with my novels.. never. I'm very anal with them haha. Not to the extent of wrapping them with plastic covers though, that's just pure madness. But I still do care a lot about them. I'd just like them to age forever with me, ya know. Writing on them is just crazy though.. why would I do that? I do write on my uni books excessively (mainly from boredom or just to emphasise important parts for memorising) but not the novels. If I liked a certain part of the book I would just write the number of the page or the line itself in my personal little notebook. I would NEVER bend the page.. man. I can be a bit of an ass when lending my books too cause I know people wouldn't care about them as much, so I won't lend them to just anyone. Yep. And umm, yeah, I feel the same way about my albums & DVDs haha. Too careful with those too.

Although when it comes to some second hand books I got, I do love the rustic feel to them. The yellowish pages, the bended parts, the occasional writings. Sometimes that appeals to me but I won't like it to happen to mine for some reason.

Yeah people usually go anal over fictional books, not so much academic ones.

I like writing notes or my thoughts at the moment of what I have just read on the page. I love that after a long while, I come back to the books to find those notes. Sometimes I even write down the meaning of certain words that I don't understand. But I do these only if I have a pen with me while I read.

Rusty books = <3

I don't like reading. :shame:

I should put that as a third option :P

I like keeping my books neat. I don't like the lines at the corners and those crease marks. But I've only wrapped one book so far, that's because it's quite thick, so I don't want it to fall apart.

I love the lines and the crease marks <3

me and most my friends find it unrespectful if someone write on a book we've lended, one shouldn't damage others property. if i need to highlight something i use to copy it or note the main part on another paper instead of underlining it.

Yeah if I was borrowing someone's book I'd make sure I take care of it. I'd only go crazy with my own books.

I hate digital books. I've tried reading from my ipod touch once, never gonna do that again.

Yeah if I was borrowing someone's book I'd make sure I take care of it. I'd only go crazy with my own books.

I hate digital books. I've tried reading from my ipod touch once, never gonna do that again.

i just do that with pdf on the computer as screen is wider, i will never try it in such a smaller screen as an ipod, my eyes will sure die if so :|

do people there write on the public library books?

when i borrowed some of them here were written. :uhoh:

i just do that with pdf on the computer as screen is wider, i will never try it in such a smaller screen as an ipod, my eyes will sure die if so :|

do people there write on the public library books?

when i borrowed some of them here were written. :uhoh:

Yeah maybe I can still do that on my laptop screen, but the joy of reading actual books is that I can move around while reading it.

Where I come from, people write, tear pages and do all kinds of damages on the public library books.

I'm kind of in the middle of anal and not anal. . .

I absolutely love reading and books, so I'm very careful with them. Because I'm careful like them, most of my books are in pristine condition. :blush: But I would never not let a friend borrow them because I'm afraid they might damage it. Although I let my cousin borrow my favorite book once and he accidentally dropped it in a fire, but that's another story. :P

Opposite for me, kind of. I'm conditioned by years of having to return textbooks to schools to treat them nicely, although I'd prefer to be able to highlight them and etc. Have a sincere feeling that'll change in college.

I don't really do bad stuff to my novels or pleasure reading, I never dog-ear the pages and only underline in books I'm reading acadmically, but I don't like hold them super carefully to try not to crack the spine or anything. If they're old I'll be careful. If they're new I'll try to keep them new for like 2 days and then give up. I use bookmarks because marking the pages or dogearing them is fucking horrible and I would never.

I'm tons less anal than like one of my teachers though, had an old 50 cent book from the sixties that my dad bought ages ago I was reading and the teacher told me to put it up and my chair was a few feet away from me so I tossed it casually (making sure it would fly spine first so the pages didn't open and so that it wouldn't flop around midair) and the teacher + half the class basically hissed at me and threatened to claw my eyes out, scariest thing ever. Chill the fuck out guys.

Didn't know people were so anal about keeping books perfect. I don't try to keep my books in any sort of incredible condition. I mean even after I'm done reading a book, it's not like I can't read it again just because it has a tiny crease on page 81. My copy of Lord of the Rings (one of my favorites) has cuts and tears and nicks and dents, but it's still perfectly 100% readable.

I try to be careful with my books, but I'll fold pages and write things down in margins when I want. :wacko: I was rereading one of my books and towards the end found where I'd circled the word 'pickle' in the text. :lol:

Hey that's cute!

Didn't know people were so anal about keeping books perfect. I don't try to keep my books in any sort of incredible condition. I mean even after I'm done reading a book, it's not like I can't read it again just because it has a tiny crease on page 81. My copy of Lord of the Rings (one of my favorites) has cuts and tears and nicks and dents, but it's still perfectly 100% readable.

Yeah that's what I think as well. As long as it's readable, I don't really care.

I'm absolutely careless. I draw on them, write stuff doctors say and I tend to leave them anywhere, sleep on them or turn pages like crazy cos I'm in a hurry and I have a test in 5 mins or something.

Shame, cos some books I use are damn expensive.

lol this sounds like me. I usually read books before I sleep so I'd sometimes sleep on them or it'll fall down on the floor.

Anyway, I've tried being anal with books, but I gave up. It's just too much effort and it's not really worth it.

Usually if someone's too anal I would just not borrow their books cause I'd never be able to take as good care of the books as they do. Plus I'd get annoyed with people who keep on reminding me to take care of their book.