✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Differing Attitudes Towards X&Y

Guest howyousawtheworld

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got some really interesting points, howyousawtheworld. :wacko:

I'll be honest. I'm not a fan of X&Y overall as an album. :blank: Please don't kill me.

When it comes to the melodies, I only really like a few songs off of the album. I really can't explain why the melodies of certain songs either annoy me or don't get any reaction out of me.

I just couldn't connect with X&Y that much, despite all the emotion that's pouring out of Chris' lyrics (songs of wonderment, loneliness, love, etc.). :\ And while the falsetto can be gorgeous, it just got on my nerves on this album (which is the opposite for AROBBTH, funny enough). Like you said, it's a bit excessive.

That's pretty much exacty how I feel about X&Y too.

It's still my least favourite.

I don't feel like any Coldplay album, excepting Viva, has been big enough to get much response from most Americans. AROBTTH had massively succesful songs here, but no one cared about the band at the time of it's release.

That said, I think X & Y got a pretty muted response from critics and probably very divided amongst Coldplay fans (as we see here). However, any casual listener will probably think of the singles from the album and I think most people reacted positively to them here.

I think X & Y is bloated and overproduced. And as I like a lot of music by bands who include tons of production, I would say it was poorly overproduced. I don't think it's Coldplay at their best. I like where Eno and Dravs brought them back to.

X & Y seems a singles album to me as well. Oddly enough, when I consider Coldplay songs I would listen to on a single listen without listening to an album straight through, there are just as many on X & Y as any of the albums. But as an album experience, I think it drops the ball.

Well, who said it was criticized more than other?

http://www.metacritic.com/person/coldplay

X&Y got the same score from critics alongside Parachutes and Viva. It sold more copies than Viva. Also thats because of piracy and down trend in CD sales rather quality, but still.

IMO X&Y the most easy listening Coldplay album. Speed of Sound, Talk, Square One, Hardest Part, Low, all has fantastic melodies and sound. It's not a monolith like AROBTH, but it's for sure has more from band than Viva. X&Y has a nerve, energy, emotions. Something Viva with all impressive sound mixing lacks.

And frankly I would prefer LP5 without Eno input.

I would say that parachute is the best Coldplay album ever, the album I will not bother to hit the skip button, but what else can I say, I'm a fan and critics are everywhere, who cares about them when your enjoying the rest of the music this band have been produced.

AROBTTH is my favorite album hands down. The ironic thing about saying this is that the only CP song that I can't even listen to is on it (A Whisper). I love every song other song though. Politik & Amsterdam may be my favorite CP songs ever. X&Y was good (and the tour was amazing!) but it ranks #3 to me. There are quite a few tracks that I like.......Square One, Low, Talk, White Shadows and A Message are the greats on there for me. I don't even like Fix You at all but I DO love to hear it performed live. VLV I really loved, another one that I can listen to from begining to end. LIT is just as amazing as an opener. My mother in law and husband are big fans as well and they both agree that X&Y is their favorite :)

1. AROBTTH

2. VLV

3. X&Y

4. Parachutes

Personally, i don't like too much X&Y becasue it has no cohesion. I think Square one is a great song but not to open the album and i think that was the biggest mistake with this album. It gives the impression that you will listen to electronic, futirist space-y(?) songs and then you find A message, Fix You, The hardest part, Swallowed in the sea and to finish; til kingdome come. Plus, i think Low, Twisted Logic and X&Y are really weak songs.

This is just my opinion and sorry for the poor english xd

Guest howyousawtheworld

I am incredibly grateful for X&Y. I think the songs elevated Coldplay when performing live - I mean those songs just sounded sublime live unlike many with songs from VLVODAAHF which seemed very complicated live at times. It's still my favourite album but it's not their best I can easily say. However for anyone starting out with Coldplay - this is the album they have to buy first.

I notice that alot of fans bash the VLV album more than X&Y...i am a fan and I understand that VLV was favored by wannabe fans for the single VLV...but some fans think Coldplay changed ...but coldplay changes for all of their albums musically and to say viva la vida is different is downright messed up...in 42 dont you hear the X&y tones? DAAHF is the improved version of FixYou...Violet Hill was the beginning of coldplay, the only difference is the beats and musical ranges..so I dnt understand how VLV changed coldplay..in my opinion x&y and parachutes are joint also as my favorite album

Guest howyousawtheworld
I notice that alot of fans bash the VLV album more than X&Y...i am a fan and I understand that VLV was favored by wannabe fans for the single VLV...but some fans think Coldplay changed ...but coldplay changes for all of their albums musically and to say viva la vida is different is downright messed up...in 42 dont you hear the X&y tones? DAAHF is the improved version of FixYou...Violet Hill was the beginning of coldplay, the only difference is the beats and musical ranges..so I dnt understand how VLV changed coldplay..in my opinion x&y and parachutes are joint also as my favorite album

42 is a fantastic song but it's presence on VLV is unwanted I feel. I totally agree with you on it sounding X&Yish as I've always felt that. It would have been perfect on X&Y but is out of place on VLV. I would have moved that to Prospekts March in all honesty and replaced it with Rainy Day or Prospekt's March, two much more VLV sounding song. VLV is a better album musically, that I have no doubts about, but it doesn't generate the warmth X&Y does.

Good point but we can't tell coldplay to fix the order of the songs and some fans have to consider that....Coldplay wanted to make their album less repetitive and thats what they did...my only problem with vlv is that don't you notice that Chris was losing his voice or it cracked constantly? For LP5 I have hope because chris in christmas lights sounded beautiful and fresh once again

Guest howyousawtheworld
Good point but we can't tell coldplay to fix the order of the songs and some fans have to consider that....Coldplay wanted to make their album less repetitive and thats what they did...my only problem with vlv is that don't you notice that Chris was losing his voice or it cracked constantly? For LP5 I have hope because chris in christmas lights sounded beautiful and fresh once again

There wasn't really a track with amazing, passionate, piercing, clear as black ice singing which made AROBTTH so good. That's what the last two albums have lacked a bit.

True, Very True, Brian Eno has to get out of the picture, I mean cool he helped Coldplay in Viva La Vida and the album turned out to be one of Coldplay's boldest albums, but now Eno is more involved lyrically and musically, so its like goodness this is going to be An Eno album not Coldplay....Have you listened to the unreleased songs Bloodless Revolution/Fall of Man..those songs belonged in VLV...I'm a tad scared about LP5 now lol

I am incredibly grateful for X&Y. I think the songs elevated Coldplay when performing live - I mean those songs just sounded sublime live unlike many with songs from VLVODAAHF which seemed very complicated live at times. It's still my favourite album but it's not their best I can easily say. However for anyone starting out with Coldplay - this is the album they have to buy first.

I totally agree about X&Y elevating Coldplay Live!!! This was a cool thread!!!:)

Guest howyousawtheworld
True, Very True, Brian Eno has to get out of the picture, I mean cool he helped Coldplay in Viva La Vida and the album turned out to be one of Coldplay's boldest albums, but now Eno is more involved lyrically and musically, so its like goodness this is going to be An Eno album not Coldplay....Have you listened to the unreleased songs Bloodless Revolution/Fall of Man..those songs belonged in VLV...I'm a tad scared about LP5 now lol

Those demos were from December 2005 and were just musings for VLV. I'm probably more confident for this Coldplay album than the last one. Having Markus Dravs and Brian Eno and getting to know their production techniques even more can only result in good things.

I prefer the 3 other ones.

I'm not gonna say anything new, but to me, there are amazing songs -Square One, Fix You, Swallowed in the sea- and good songs -What If, White Shadows, Talk, Low, Til Kingdom Come- that can make my day if I'm in a 'X&Y Period' mood.

On the other hand, I hate for example the song X&Y. I find it boring every single time... It's too much for me. Too 'Coldplayish' in a bad way.

I think that like Chris Martin said (I don't remember where I read it) : X&Y was about getting bigger for the band... it settled Coldplay's kind of music and brought them to arenas... and Viva was about getting better (but that's something else to discuss, even if I still agree :D).

Guest howyousawtheworld
@Howyousawtheworld overall, this has to be one of the best threads ever when it came down to albums :)

Oh thanks a lot! :) It's great to get a really good insight from other fans over their music.

The other day I was in a coldplay mood and listened to Parachutes first, then Prospekt's March and AROBTTH. After that I decided to listen to X&Y and it was so boring compared to Parachutes and AROBTTH, I mean I skipped most of the songs and just listened to Square One, White Shadows and Swallowed in The Sea.

In my opinion is their weakest album. At this moment I think it's boring.

The Twisted Logic tour was better than the album itself.

interesting points.

i find x&y strikingly similar to be here now. on the exterior, x&y and be here now are each band's 3rd album following a critically-acclaimed and well-loved 2nd album. there was massive pressure to produce a big 3rd album, to legitimise their newly found status as england (and world's) biggest band. because of the similarities, it's easy to force other comparisons on each album. largely, the comparisons are appropriate.

each band seemed to use the formula of sticking with what worked before and pushing it to (or beyond) excess. the routes taken were quite different. oasis came through band turmoil, rushed recording, and mountains of cocaine to put out a bloated record. coldplay battled self-justification of their success (and probably band turmoil as well, but not to the extent of having to work with the brothers gallagher) to put out their own slightly-bloated-but-not-as-much-as-be-here-now record. oasis were over-confident, coldpaly were probably not confident enough. coldplay were guilty of a bit of over-production and about two songs that should've been b-sides. even so, they're both great records that i've listened to hundreds of times each.

what's important is the fact that both albums include really great songs. some of each band's best work come from those two albums.

i reckon coldplay could've used the creative advice of mr phil harvey, but he had gone crackers off to australia.

Guest howyousawtheworld

I'm no fan of Be Here Now. Other than D'You Know What I Mean and Don'T Go Away the rest I can forget. It's Oasis's least impressive moment.