✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Differing Attitudes Towards X&Y

Guest howyousawtheworld

Having Markus Dravs and Brian Eno and getting to know their production techniques even more can only result in good things.

I believe more in Chris and other guys rather this two. Eno isn't a man, who delayed album again and again.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X&Y is not flawless, and it certainly has its own disadvantages, which have already been mentioned. It is overproduced and repetitive, and feels like a bunch of singles etc. But really, these flaws and mistakes just make you feel people behind the space-y tunes and banging drums. Artists never draw anything absolutely symmetric, because it would look unnatural. Same thing here, imperfection make you feel the reality of the feelings. I am sure that Chris wrote about the things he really felt at the time. This makes me love the album for years now.

well even though fix you is my favorite song, i think viva is my favorite album. as a whole the album just seems to bleak to me, but i do love many of those songs. i love swallowed in the sea but it does seem a little to unoriginal. the hardest part got a little old to me, talk is still pretty good, speed of sound reminds me too much of clocks for some reason (but i like speed of sound more).

Guest howyousawtheworld
well even though fix you is my favorite song, i think viva is my favorite album. as a whole the album just seems to bleak to me, but i do love many of those songs. i love swallowed in the sea but it does seem a little to unoriginal. the hardest part got a little old to me, talk is still pretty good, speed of sound reminds me too much of clocks for some reason (but i like speed of sound more).

Really? Speed of Sound had a bigger impact on me when it was first released than Clocks but that said Clocks is still just as majestic as when I first heard it back in 2002. Speed of Sound wore off pretty quickly and I think it did on the band itself. It's the one song of theirs that has gone unnoticed during their live performances for me personally.

speed of sound is not that good and fix you... I think I listened to that song too much or something like that because I dislike it. Same happens with Lovers in Japan, I just like it because of the butterflies :freak: it's not an amazing song.

Whenever I think of my favourite Coldplay albums, I automatically put X&Y as my least favourite. But when I actually think about it, I realize that a lot of my favourite Coldplay songs are on X&Y!

I would say that Low, Twisted Logic, and Square One are low of my list of favourite Coldplay songs, but Swallowed in the Sea, Til Kingdom Come, and What If are just brilliant. :heart:

I'm not really well versed in musical theory, and for me, appreciating music is completely instinctive. I don't spend a lot of time analyzing why I like and relate to it. Having said that, X&Y is my least favorite of the 4 albums because I personally don't feel much connection to many of the songs on the album aside from a message. The reason why I think I like it less is because I find some of the lyrics a bit simplistic when compared to the others.

Guest howyousawtheworld
speed of sound is not that good and fix you... I think I listened to that song too much or something like that because I dislike it. Same happens with Lovers in Japan, I just like it because of the butterflies :freak: it's not an amazing song.

Oh my LORD Lore! I find Lovers In Japan is Coldplay's finest moment since Amsterdam! That song just runs on rails like a, well a Japanese bullet train! It is just absolutely gorgeous, acoustic or the album version. Jonny's distorted guitar seems to descend from heaven and Will's drumming just dances along to the beautifully written melody! Simply gorgeous!

Sorry for the over enthusiasm - I just adore the song!

I forgot to tell ,

THe hardest part . most people dont like it

i love it! :D

youve made this thread famous howyousawtheworld :P

Oh my LORD Lore! I find Lovers In Japan is Coldplay's finest moment since Amsterdam! That song just runs on rails like a, well a Japanese bullet train! It is just absolutely gorgeous, acoustic or the album version. Jonny's distorted guitar seems to descend from heaven and Will's drumming just dances along to the beautifully written melody! Simply gorgeous!

couldnt agree more :wacko:

Its one of their greatest.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I forgot to tell ,

THe hardest part . most people dont like it

i love it! :D

youve made this thread famous howyousawtheworld :P

Love The Hardest Part! I even like the album version better than the live VLV tour version!

Love The Hardest Part! I even like the album version better than the live VLV tour version!

me too! :cheesy:

it seems like a lot of other people think the album version is too "upbeat" and doesn't do the lyrics justice like the VLV tour version, but i think -- well, first of all, i don't think it's actually that upbeat, maybe the tempo is a bit fast, but the melody itself is still pretty heart-wrenching. plus, in the live version, some of the piano bits are missing or toned down, like the part in the chorus in between Chris's vocals, and the tune at the very end of the song in the album version.

Acoustic is better. I think it's too common, typical catchy song :uhoh:. Amsterdam is like a million times better (That's my favorite coldplay song :heart:)

I'm no fan of Be Here Now. Other than D'You Know What I Mean and Don'T Go Away the rest I can forget. It's Oasis's least impressive moment.

strongly disagree. i love it. my big mouth, i hope, i think, i know, and the girl in the dirty shirt are all standouts for me. it's too long and too big though, like x&y, which i also love.

The other day I was in a coldplay mood and listened to Parachutes first, then Prospekt's March and AROBTTH. After that I decided to listen to X&Y and it was so boring compared to Parachutes and AROBTTH, I mean I skipped most of the songs and just listened to Square One, White Shadows and Swallowed in The Sea.

In my opinion is their weakest album. At this moment I think it's boring.

The Twisted Logic tour was better than the album itself.

that's exactly what i think xD

Whenever I think of my favourite Coldplay albums, I automatically put X&Y as my least favourite. But when I actually think about it, I realize that a lot of my favourite Coldplay songs are on X&Y!

I really think that's because the album has no cohesion. A lot of the songs are great but they don't really fit to be in an album.

Plus, i think they named the album after the weakest song. The great songs in X&Y have nothing to do with the theme of the album.

i think X&Y wasn't treated fairly or taken seriously by the public and media in its day, for example an animated frog got number one over speed of sound in the uk and i think ireland as well. I like the album, not my favourite but i don't skip the songs when i have it on.

I also absolutely love the hardest part album version! I just think its amazing, and it becae one of my favorites right off the bat! It was a total shock when I heard that the boys were not too happy with it. And even more that there was so many fans that didn't appreciate it. I love the lyrics and along with the" upbeat" melodies. The combination is just great.

Sorry to ramble on about it but that's just how much I love it :P

X&Y is easily my favourite album. X&Y, for me, has very few tracks that I can bear not to have. Parachutes has its share (High Speed, We Never Change and Life is for Living especially), AROBTTH has Daylight, A Whisper and In My Place, and VLV has 42 and Reign of Love. But the only song that I could do without on X&Y is Low, and even then it's still a pretty decent song.

And the album has some ebb and flow to it; it starts off with the brilliance of Square One, Fix You and Talk, and then gets all mellow-like with A Message and Swallowed in the Sea, and then gets SUPER EPIC again with Twisted Logic, one of my favourite Coldplay songs of all time (as are White Shadows and Fix You). Whereas, say, VLV has LIT and COL (both great songs), but then delve into this stupor of boring/not very good songs, like 42 and Lost!. But it gets good once Violet Hill kicks in.

X&Y is a great album. I can see why people don't like it, but it's my personal favourite :D