✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[8-Oct-2011] Coldplay @ FNB Stadium, Johannesburg, South Africa [FILMING PART OF PARADISE VIDEO]

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When they do soundcheck, it's the responsibility of any bands sound people to make sure even the sound from the nosebleed seats are working well, and twist and tweek the problems, the organisers have nothing to do with it, to bring into the conversation that its 1/3 world country and that's why this stadium had issues over Japan, Australia, USA, Brazil, ect is stupid, I have been to BAZILLION shows in the USA that have had sound issues. Oh well everyone has their own opinions about it, so be it.

This is the 2nd time you've called my opinion, based on my life experience, stupid. That doesn't sit well with me. You might be a nice person, I do not know you, but you don't come across as such.

How many stadium events have you attended on the African continent? I attend quite a few every year. If you think that a stadium in Soweto, SA, has the same sound installations as Wembley or MSG, then there isn't much you and I can discuss. My reality is quite different. To say that Coldplay sound people could have twisted and tweeked the problems in 1 or even 2 soundchecks is both simplistic and naive.

Just so you know, you don't have to defend SA from me. The whole continent is part of who I am. But I'm also honest. So if that makes me stupid in your eyes, so be it!

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Sound-problems-delay-rally-20110501

OK, I wrote about my own experience last night, it's a bit long, so the actual convert review starts about halfway down, if anyone wants to read it: http://thefangirldiaries.blogspot.com/2011/10/coldplay-concert-in-johannesburg-south.html

Thank you for a LOVELY review of what sounded like an EPIC day for you. So nice of you to share it with us. I am seeing them in December and it's got me even MORE excited now!

Those elephant heads are awesome! LOL..

When they do soundcheck, it's the responsibility of any bands sound people to make sure even the sound from the nosebleed seats are working well, and twist and tweek the problems, the organisers have nothing to do with it, to bring into the conversation that its 1/3 world country and that's why this stadium had issues over Japan, Australia, USA, Brazil, ect is stupid, I have been to BAZILLION shows in the USA that have had sound issues. Oh well everyone has their own opinions about it, so be it.

I'd be willing to bet there were bad sound spots in the venues of all those countries as well though. It is the responsibility of the band's sound crew to make sure the overall sound is the best it can be, but often in large venues (which generally speaking were not designed for concerts.) sound is not so good, especially in the back. Here in suburban Chicago, our 30,000 seat amphitheater has notorious sound problems because local ordinance requires that they have a sound system of significantly lower power than a venue of that size really needs. I don't know what the situation in SA is like, but I'd say there's a good chance the shows were never going to sound excellent in the venues that were played.

OK, I wrote about my own experience last night, it's a bit long, so the actual convert review starts about halfway down, if anyone wants to read it: http://thefangirldiaries.blogspot.com/2011/10/coldplay-concert-in-johannesburg-south.html

Beautiful! I'm glad you had a wonderful time. Yes these 2 concerts must have been huge for many music lovers in SA.

I'd be willing to bet there were bad sound spots in the venues of all those countries as well though. It is the responsibility of the band's sound crew to make sure the overall sound is the best it can be, but often in large venues (which generally speaking were not designed for concerts.) sound is not so good, especially in the back. Here in suburban Chicago, our 30,000 seat amphitheater has notorious sound problems because local ordinance requires that they have a sound system of significantly lower power than a venue of that size really needs. I don't know what the situation in SA is like, but I'd say there's a good chance the shows were never going to sound excellent in the venues that were played.

U2, political rallies, etc, had sound issues in these venues as well.

Exactly

U2, political rallies, etc, had sound issues in these venues as well.

Exactly my point. Although I will also say that I've never attended a stadium concert anywhere that had what I'd consider truly good sound from the "bad" seats.

Exactly my point. Although I will also say that I've never attended a stadium concert anywhere that had what I'd consider truly good sound from the "bad" seats.

Your point is very well taken! Believe me when I say that the fact that the venue was FNB stadium in Soweto, SA didn't help matters. It's not something that Coldplay sound techs could just twist and solve in 1 sound check.

Just thought I'd share quickly...

I was listening to a radio station here in Cape Town today, and they were talking about the bad sound at the Coldplay concert down here. They had a sound engineer on, and he said that the acoustics of both stadiums (FNB and Cape Town Stadium) are both shocking and NOT SUITED FOR CONCERTS, and that it could not be helped. He said it was a known problem to organizers and the band, and that no matter how much sound checking was done it could not be helped at all.

:)

Just thought I'd share quickly...

I was listening to a radio station here in Cape Town today, and they were talking about the bad sound at the Coldplay concert down here. They had a sound engineer on, and he said that the acoustics of both stadiums (FNB and Cape Town Stadium) are both shocking and NOT SUITED FOR CONCERTS, and that it could not be helped. He said it was a known problem to organizers and the band, and that no matter how much sound checking was done it could not be helped at all.

:)

A little local knowledge is always helpful before jumping to conclusion. TY.

Golden Circle Vids--

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MagYEs8Fipw]The Parlotones (Live- JHB 2011) [Coldplay Opening Act] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggDaAh9R9Ak]Coldplay (Live-JHB 2011) [Part 1] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W925IV0A0WY]Coldplay (Live-JHB 2011) [Part 2] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJmPK-nWKIc]Paradise Video Shoot (Coldplay Live JHB 2011) - YouTube[/ame]

Good use of Every Truetype is a Wisefont :DD