✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[8-Oct-2011] Coldplay @ FNB Stadium, Johannesburg, South Africa [FILMING PART OF PARADISE VIDEO]

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but I can't accept that there are sound problems tonight too. The people paid so much money to spend some time with the band (not so long with regard to the tiny setlist) and they deserve at least good sound.

They should definitely care about the problems and take them serious!

It should be the organizers issue. If it were up to the band, I have no doubt it would be corrected.

It's not the organisers. They have almost nothing to do with the sound setup. It's a sports stadium. It may not be Coldplay directly, but it's their team and they should apologise if it was bad enough to spoil the show for anyone who paid a great deal of time and money to see them, especially since this is the second time running. :\

a bunch of my mates just spent time with chris at a club in joburg called latinova. one friend of mine came down for the cape town concert too, he says cape town was far better, but he asked chris what he thought and he said joburg, maybe cos of the bigger stadium who knows?

It's not the organisers. They have almost nothing to do with the sound setup. It's a sports stadium. It may not be Coldplay directly, but it's their team and they should apologise if it was bad enough to spoil the show for anyone who paid a great deal of time and money to see them, especially since this is the second time running. :\

I don't disagree that they should apologise if there were still sound issues. But I believe it's the organisers responsibility to make sure the venue has the tools to accommodate the bands they invite. I know South Africa is the most developed of all African Nations but it is still a 1/3 world country (and before anyone jumps on me for saying so, I'm African by origins, and I've lived in those conditions). You have to ask yourself why there were no sound issues in Japan, Australia, USA, Brazil, etc.

a bunch of my mates just spent time with chris at a club in joburg called latinova. one friend of mine came down for the cape town concert too, he says cape town was far better, but he asked chris what he thought and he said joburg, maybe cos of the bigger stadium who knows?

Right....:veryangry2:

Coldplay makes Jo'burg Paradise

A blaze of fireworks kicked off British rock band Coldplay's Johannesburg concert at the FNB Stadium in Soweto on Saturday night. Frontman Chris Martin and his band opened the concert with a song from their upcoming fifth studio album Mylo Xyloto, which would be released later this month.

The audience didn't have to wait long to hear some of their old favourites, with Coldplay launching straight into its first top 10 hit single Yellow. In keeping with the theme, the stadium lit up with yellow lights, lasers, large balloons and beach balls, as the crowd sang along.

About 62 000 people packed into the stands and field to witness the band's first tour in South Africa. On Tuesday, Coldplay wowed Cape Town fans. Martin told the Johannesburg crowd that the band's drummer Will Champion had suggested shooting a music video in South Africa, saying: "It's so much sunnier and warmer than where we come from." He then asked the crowd: "Would you like to be in the video?"

The stadium exploded into cheers and screams. Martin explained a minute-long clip would be shot for the end of their new song Paradise.

The band then proceeded to place huge elephant masks over their heads. "When you're not as attractive as Beyoncé you got to do what you can ... please don't put this on YouTube," he joked.

The mood remained upbeat through the set with a Mexican wave of cellphone lights around the calabash stadium. In keeping with the sporty spirit of the weekend, Martin replaced lyrics of God Put a Smile Upon Your Face with: "and maybe give the Springboks the World Cup", to the delight of the crowd.

Coldplay ended the concert with a spectacular three song encore with Clocks, Fix You with the intro to the late Amy Winehouse's Rehab, the new hit Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, and an amazing fireworks display.

http://mg.co.za/article/2011-10-09-coldplay-makes-joburg-paradise/

Right, the folks behind Dan Green are responsible for the sound in my way of thinking.

Well, first off. I heard Coldplay doing there sound check in Cape Town stadium, because I waited in the golden circle line since 9am. To be honest, they didn't really do much of a sound check. In the beginning, they played pre-recorded live versions of each song on the set list and I don't think it had anything to do with Coldplay, probably the organizers. I think it had to do with the organizers or sound techs, because the U2 concert in February at the same stadium also had pathetic sound at the back from where I was sitting. BUT. I also heard Coldplay doing their own proper souncheck, and they didn't really do too much. Just a little silly sounds and stuff. I don't know. I just know that Chris got very cross at the CPT concert during shiver, he asked "what the fuck is that sound???" to some techi who was fiddling around (in front of the whole stadium). So I donno.

Coldplay makes Jo'burg Paradise[/size][/b]

A blaze of fireworks kicked off British rock band Coldplay's Johannesburg concert at the FNB Stadium in Soweto on Saturday night. Frontman Chris Martin and his band opened the concert with a song from their upcoming fifth studio album Mylo Xyloto, which would be released later this month.

The audience didn't have to wait long to hear some of their old favourites, with Coldplay launching straight into its first top 10 hit single Yellow. In keeping with the theme, the stadium lit up with yellow lights, lasers, large balloons and beach balls, as the crowd sang along.

About 62 000 people packed into the stands and field to witness the band's first tour in South Africa. On Tuesday, Coldplay wowed Cape Town fans. Martin told the Johannesburg crowd that the band's drummer Will Champion had suggested shooting a music video in South Africa, saying: "It's so much sunnier and warmer than where we come from." He then asked the crowd: "Would you like to be in the video?"

The stadium exploded into cheers and screams. Martin explained a minute-long clip would be shot for the end of their new song Paradise.

The band then proceeded to place huge elephant masks over their heads. "When you're not as attractive as Beyoncé you got to do what you can ... please don't put this on YouTube," he joked.

The mood remained upbeat through the set with a Mexican wave of cellphone lights around the calabash stadium. In keeping with the sporty spirit of the weekend, Martin replaced lyrics of God Put a Smile Upon Your Face with: "and maybe give the Springboks the World Cup", to the delight of the crowd.

Coldplay ended the concert with a spectacular three song encore with Clocks, Fix You with the intro to the late Amy Winehouse's Rehab, the new hit Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, and an amazing fireworks display.

http://mg.co.za/article/2011-10-09-coldplay-makes-joburg-paradise/

thanks for the resume! :)

and thanks to all for the beautiful pics! :D

Setlist

Mx

Hurts like heaven

Yellow

In my place

Major Minus

Lost

The scientist

The hardest part

Kingdom come

Paradise

Shiver

Violet Hill

God put a smile upon my face

Politik

Viva la Vida

Charlie Brown

Life is for living

encore

Clocks

Rehab- amy winehouse tribute

Fix you

Every teardrop is a waterfall

Thats the setlist although im not too sure about the bits in the middle between major minus and violet hill... The one on the home page is far from correct they changed the order of the songs around. I was there

OK, I've just flown home from the Joburg concert, and I am still speechless. I queued from 1pm, and got to the barrier near the end of the ramp. I was completely blown away. I'm not sure what I was expecting from this concert, but the band surpassed every expectation I could have ever had. It was absolutely phenomenal and without a doubt the best live concert I have ever seen. I plan to write a blog post about it later, and I'll post the link here, along with photo's.

The elephant heads were absolutely hilarious, and i have a video of part of it, which I will try to upload as well. I heard complaints about the sound, but from where I was, it was perfect.

I don't have the order of the setlist right, but the songs were:

MX/Hurts Like Heaven

Yellow

In My Place

The Scientist

Lost!

Violet Hill

Viva La Vida

Politik

The Hardest Part (acoustic)

Til Kingdom Come (acoustic)

Major Minus

Charlie Brown

Paradise (and video shoot)

Shiver

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

Life Is For Living

Encore:

Clocks

Rehab/Fix You

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

Also, there were two pianos, the painted one was on the main part of the stage, and another plain one was at the end of the ramp, and was used for The Hardest Part and Til Kingdom Come, when Will played it for a bit.

Right order of the setlist

MX/Hurts Like Heave

Yellow

In My Place

Major Minus

The Scientist

Violet Hill

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (techno-- I thought it sounded like Tokyo)

Paradise

The Hardest Part

Mexican Wave

Till Kingdom Come

Politik

Viva la Vida

Charlie Brown

Life is For Living

Encore:

Clocks

Rehab (Amy Winehouse Tribute)

Fix You

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall

it was amazing

The Parlotones were a good opening act, I'm glad the boys trusted them :DD

I don't disagree that they should apologise if there were still sound issues. But I believe it's the organisers responsibility to make sure the venue has the tools to accommodate the bands they invite. I know South Africa is the most developed of all African Nations but it is still a 1/3 world country (and before anyone jumps on me for saying so, I'm African by origins, and I've lived in those conditions). You have to ask yourself why there were no sound issues in Japan, Australia, USA, Brazil, etc.

When they do soundcheck, it's the responsibility of any bands sound people to make sure even the sound from the nosebleed seats are working well, and twist and tweek the problems, the organisers have nothing to do with it, to bring into the conversation that its 1/3 world country and that's why this stadium had issues over Japan, Australia, USA, Brazil, ect is stupid, I have been to BAZILLION shows in the USA that have had sound issues. Oh well everyone has their own opinions about it, so be it.

is this about right then:

Mylo Xyloto
Hurts Like Heaven
Yellow
In My Place
Major Minus
Lost!
Shiver
Violet Hill
God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
Paradise
Paradise (music video shoot)