✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Has Your Opinions changed or stayed upon hearing some of the LP5?

Loki0012

Totally! I thought ETIAW was ok but I was a little concerned about the direction Coldplay seemed to be taking with the new album. The new songs however have completely changed my mind, I think the new album is going in a excellent direction!

I almost thought I've been to this thread before and posted! I completely agree with absolutely everything you write there.

ETIAW is ok to listen to, but if they did a whole album like that, well..

And all the other songs sound great to me! They are Coldplay all over, only with extra spice :D

Guest howyousawtheworld

These songs are stronger melodically than anything on VLV with the exception of Lovers In Japan. Two of them, Charlie Brown and Hurts Like Heaven sound like classic Coldplay pop potentially up there with their massive tunes like Yellow and Clocks. They sound wonderful live but I can't judge anything properly until I've heard the album. Us Against The World is in many ways Coldplay at their very best. Acoustic, stripped back with Chris Martin's stunningly clear and beautiful vocals wrapped round the song. Major Minus is a song in which it's darkness harks back to the AROBTTH era only a bit more rocky. As for ETIAW well the less said about that the better. Of the 4 of the 5 LP5 era songs I've heard I am much more optimistic about this album than the last two. They even threaten to make their last two albums look bland if the live performances of the songs are anything to go by. Previewing new songs live is a genius idea which all bands should do as it gives us more time to digest the new material rather than make rash reviews at the time of an albums release. It worked for Coldplay in 2002 and I'm sure it will work for them this time round. Still after the shell shock of immense disappointment thanks to ETIAW, my optimism for LP5 has been very much restored....and more! But full judgement can only be passed when it's released, but it appears to be on track to be their best work in 9 years.

These songs are stronger melodically than anything on VLV with the exception of Lovers In Japan. Two of them, Charlie Brown and Hurts Like Heaven sound like classic Coldplay pop potentially up there with their massive tunes like Yellow and Clocks. They sound wonderful live but I can't judge anything properly until I've heard the album. Us Against The World is in many ways Coldplay at their very best. Acoustic, stripped back with Chris Martin's stunningly clear and beautiful vocals wrapped round the song. Major Minus is a song in which it's darkness harks back to the AROBTTH era only a bit more rocky. As for ETIAW well the less said about that the better. Of the 4 of the 5 LP5 era songs I've heard I am much more optimistic about this album than the last two. They even threaten to make their last two albums look bland if the live performances of the songs are anything to go by. Previewing new songs live is a genius idea which all bands should do as it gives us more time to digest the new material rather than make rash reviews at the time of an albums release. It worked for Coldplay in 2002 and I'm sure it will work for them this time round. Still after the shell shock of immense disappointment thanks to ETIAW, my optimism for LP5 has been very much restored....and more! But full judgement can only be passed when it's released, but it appears to be on track to be their best work in 9 years.

Well said :smug:

I love dark albums . . . I hope this one carries that theme as well as A Rush Of Blood To The Head did :dance:

The first time I heard Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall I was a bit worried. The beginning started out with no guitar and didn't sound like them. Once Jonny came in though and I heard the rest I knew LP5 would be good. The other songs are just as amazing. I can't wait!

Yeah, I think we all thought that, im a big fan of ETIAW but the first 40 secs or so had me like what the??? :shocked2: then the end is just :D Charlie Brown is a possible classic in the making and perhaps Princess of China.

Yeah, I think we all thought that, im a big fan of ETIAW but the first 40 secs or so had me like what the??? :shocked2: then the end is just :D Charlie Brown is a possible classic in the making and perhaps Princess of China.

the ending is a joke, i never can take that song serious...everytime i hear wa-wa-waterfall i think po-po-pokerface its just embarresing :\

^ I really don't think "Every Teardrop.." and "Poker Face" are alike at all.

But aside from that.

We ALL know you hate the song. And yes, we all think it was underwhelming. Can we move on now please? :thinking:

At first I liked ETIAW, then I found out they used part of another song, and they used auto tune. That's cheating, that's not how you write a song.

Then I heard the other songs and I thought "The new album is going to be really good"

At first I liked ETIAW, then I found out they used part of another song, and they used auto tune. That's cheating, that's not how you write a song.

Then I heard the other songs and I thought "The new album is going to be really good"

If these are your only reasons to not like the song, I suggest you at least reconsider your auto tune issue.

If there is a recording artist today who does not use auto tune in some form, I would be astonished.

You see, it's in songs like ETIAW where its obvious that you shouldn't worry. Because that's when the auto tune was apart of the artists creation. Its when its masking the deficiencies of 50-60 year old singers and simply poor singers, in ways you'd never really pick up on, that you should worry.

Anyone whose voice you think is just them...it probably isnt. Why else would so many recording artists sound different live?

Note, I say all this because I was once someone offended by the use of auto tune. I thought it was a mask. The thing is, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. And in ETIAW, at least, it's not used to make Chris's voice "better". Just to make it different.

AND anyone who would argue that it is acting as a mask in this song, please tell me does Chris's voice usually sound like it has electricity in it??? Cause it does in ETIAW.

There are a ton of Coldplay songs that use auto tune. Strawberry Swing for example. And the unfortunate thing is I think the band do use it to clean up Chris's voice a lot of the time.

Maybe not all the way back on some Parachutes tracks but since and during AROBTTH...they've been using auto tune.

If these are your only reasons to not like the song, I suggest you at least reconsider your auto tune issue.

If there is a recording artist today who does not use auto tune in some form, I would be astonished.

You see, it's in songs like ETIAW where its obvious that you shouldn't worry. Because that's when the auto tune was apart of the artists creation. Its when its masking the deficiencies of 50-60 year old singers and simply poor singers, in ways you'd never really pick up on, that you should worry.

Anyone whose voice you think is just them...it probably isnt. Why else would so many recording artists sound different live?

Note, I say all this because I was once someone offended by the use of auto tune. I thought it was a mask. The thing is, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. And in ETIAW, at least, it's not used to make Chris's voice "better". Just to make it different.

AND anyone who would argue that it is acting as a mask in this song, please tell me does Chris's voice usually sound like it has electricity in it??? Cause it does in ETIAW.

There are a ton of Coldplay songs that use auto tune. Strawberry Swing for example. And the unfortunate thing is I think the band do use it to clean up Chris's voice a lot of the time.

Maybe not all the way back on some Parachutes tracks but since and during AROBTTH...they've been using auto tune.

Agreed. The entire point of auto-tuning is to make a studio recording sound a lot better. Isn't that also called "producing?" :rolleyes:

That's why studio versions sound so perfect.

I agree with what everyone else has said in regards to auto-tuning.

As for the 'using part of another song' it's actually called sampling and the guys have done it a couple of times before:

Talk --- the riff you hear at the beginning was sampled from Kraftwerk's 'Computer Love'

Life In Technicolor / The Escapist --- The background layering was taken from John Hopkin's 'Light Through The Veins'

So sampling from other songs isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

it may be worthless to point this out at this juncture in time, as coldplay will probably make it clear to us soon, but Major Minus IS NOT GOING TO BE A B-SIDE

On Coldplay's website they have it posted as ETIAW/MM. Meaning MM is not demoted to b-side nothingness.

The boy's were pretty clear about A Spell A Rebel Yell being a b-side when they gave it away to NME a few years ago and it doesn't seem to be any different, in clarity, than then.