✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Radiohead

Hot Topic: Coldplay (and Radiohead)

Today’s Smackdown is about Coldplay, but for me, you can’t talk about Coldplay without also talking about Radiohead. 40 years ago it was the Beatles or The Stones. Now it’s Coldplay or Radiohead – two British rock bands with big ambitions, grand ideas, and apparently unlimited time to muck around in the studio.

Coldplay sells more records. Radiohead gets more love from the critics. Both have obsessive fans who puzzle over every cryptic lyric. But Radiohead is work. Listening to Radiohead can be tiring, and yes, even tiresome. The egghead allusions to 20th century classical composers like Olivier Messiaen, the oblique storytelling, the paranoia of Thom Yorke’s characters… it can all be a bit too much. Of course it can also be simply brilliant. But Coldplay? I like Coldplay. Their music just washes over you. And there’s the problem: It’s like, well, like the prog rock version of smooth jazz, and Radiohead is Miles Davis – all edgy and cool, and melodic in ways you might not expect.

I have no doubt that Chris Martin and the rest of Coldplay (go on, name them if you can) work, and work hard, at what they do. Their records are pristine, beautiful, and there’s always at least one song that makes me want to give them another chance. And I was keen to hear what Brian Eno’s production would do for them this time around. Answer: it makes the songs sound better - without actually making the songs better. You want a ballad, listen to “Pyramid Song” from Radiohead’s Amnesia. It won’t sell many iPods, and no one really knows what it all means, but it’s a helluva lot more interesting than any of Chris Martin’s plaintive wailing.

http://blogs.wnyc.org/soundcheck/2008/07/03/hot-topic-coldplay/

Stuff I learnt about Radiohead from last Tuessday:

1 - London Overground is crap

2 - David's sense of direction is crap (I ended up doing a rather lovely loop of the western section of Victoria Park)

3 - Radiohead fans are mad, I walked past the compound on the Wednesday morning around 10:15 and there was already a good 25 or so fans sitting down

4 - The camera I was using died so no lovely photos :(

5 - Bats for Lashes were good

Overall a good gig, I have been to better though.

Stuff I learnt about Radiohead from last Tuessday:

1 - London Overground is crap

2 - David's sense of direction is crap (I ended up doing a rather lovely loop of the western section of Victoria Park)

3 - Radiohead fans are mad, I walked past the compound on the Wednesday morning around 10:15 and there was already a good 25 or so fans sitting down

4 - The camera I was using died so no lovely photos :(

5 - Bats for Lashes were good

Overall a good gig, I have been to better though.

1) The overground is bad? Crikey, try the Underground at 5pm. I almost died.

2) True Bloke. No asking for directions I hope?

3) Thats why my teacher wouldn't let me go to watch it when I was up there, they're all crazy!

4) Gutted.

5) I must have a listen to some more of their stuff...

I can understand that. Some days its FPT, others its House of Cards, sometimes 'Noid 'Droid

Anyone who says that is an idiot. HoC is in no way even close to being their finest work. Don't get me wrong its not bad, but mentioning it in the same sentence as Fake Plastic and Android is just plain wrong!! :laugh3:

Anyone who says that is an idiot. HoC is in no way even close to being their finest work. Don't get me wrong its not bad, but mentioning it in the same sentence as Fake Plastic and Android is just plain wrong!! :laugh3:

sorry, its got a personal connection with me so I love it.

Oh okay, I'll let you off then! :P

I'm looking forward to seeing the video to it...

I too am excited, yet not excited at the same time. I really like the song and Im afraid the video might take away that personal connection cause everytime I listen Ill only think of the video (same thing happened with many other songs). That's also why I refuse to watch the Clocks music video...

*waits to have tomatoes thrown at him*

^ is there any chance you could upload those videos for me? I've tried looking elsewhere, but they're all in a crappy format. WMV would be awesome, I'm not sure if you convert them to that though...

Thanks in advance hopefully!

^ is there any chance you could upload those videos for me? I've tried looking elsewhere, but they're all in a crappy format. WMV would be awesome, I'm not sure if you convert them to that though...

Thanks in advance hopefully!

Sorry, I really dont know how:embarassed:

I suck at uploading things

If you have iTunes you can get all 10 vids for $7.99, a fantastic deal!

Sorry, I really dont know how:embarassed:

I suck at uploading things

If you have iTunes you can get all 10 vids for $7.99, a fantastic deal!

I would do, but I have a Zune not an iPod, so the video's wouldn't work on it :(