✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[24-Sept-2011] Coldplay @ Atlanta's Music Midtown Festival

getithom

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wish I could go with you guys. but it's a wensday night and I have school. it is only a 20 minute drive. I'm not gonna spend $55 dollars to stand in the field after school, I'll surely be tired

so I'll just wait for the next tour

I'm pretty sure it's Saturday night...

Does anyone knows at what time coldplay will be performing?? I am flying from Costa Rica BUT my plane lands at 400pm the same day of the show / festival ... Will I have enough time to get to the show??

If you don't have to go to a hotel and drop off luggage, you could probably be at the site by around 6:30 and 7 if you take the train (forgot what it's called in Atlanta). It drops you off just blocks from the park and then it's about a 15 minute walk into the gates if I remember correctly.

I would assume they would not start playing earlier than 8:00 pm....

If you don't have to go to a hotel and drop off luggage, you could probably be at the site by around 6:30 and 7 if you take the train (forgot what it's called in Atlanta). It drops you off just blocks from the park and then it's about a 15 minute walk into the gates if I remember correctly.

I would assume they would not start playing earlier than 8:00 pm....

It is called the MARTA, and I would agree with this assessment. There are varying opinions on the safety of the MARTA but I've ridden on it plenty, and have never had any issues with it.

• 2 weeks later...

This Show needs more excitement!!!

But to address a few points. With regards to the VIP and $55 ticket:

You will be able to get to the front with the $55 ticket I'm sure. The regular vip ticket, (which I ended up getting b/c they were a present) I believe has the same GA access as the $55. What is curious would be what the SUPER VIP section will be like, which I may try to "sneak" my way in, but I'm sure it will be impossible. It says that the Section is behind the stage, but there has been some rumblings that they may actually be on the stage (rumors from a source in ATL, but who knows).....

To coldplaymom (questions from another thread, but probably should have been addressed here). I plan on staying in a hotel downtown friday and saturday and walking. When I went to see Paul McCartney in the same place a few years back I took the MARTA from a hotel a little further north, and had no problem.

In my opinion, many people will take the MARTA since parking will be very very tough to come by.

This Show needs more excitement!!!

But to address a few points. With regards to the VIP and $55 ticket:

You will be able to get to the front with the $55 ticket I'm sure. The regular vip ticket, (which I ended up getting b/c they were a present) I believe has the same GA access as the $55. What is curious would be what the SUPER VIP section will be like, which I may try to "sneak" my way in, but I'm sure it will be impossible. It says that the Section is behind the stage, but there has been some rumblings that they may actually be on the stage (rumors from a source in ATL, but who knows).....

To coldplaymom (questions from another thread, but probably should have been addressed here). I plan on staying in a hotel downtown friday and saturday and walking. When I went to see Paul McCartney in the same place a few years back I took the MARTA from a hotel a little further north, and had no problem.

In my opinion, many people will take the MARTA since parking will be very very tough to come by.

Thank you so much! I have a couple more questions for you. Is this venue kids' friendly? I'm taking my boys 12 (well 13 in a few days) and 15. We have general entrance tickets. How soon should we show up to get as close as we can to the stage?

We live about 25 miles north of the city, and usually stay at the Omni (CNN Center) for the 4th of July. But it seems a bit far from Piedmont Park. What other hotel would you recommend?

I've been enjoying Chris Take Over of the 99X radio station on 9/29/2005. I bet he has no time to do that kind of stuff now. The festival dates are so bunched up. I'll check with the radio station though. I'd really love to meet him.

Thank you so much! I have a couple more questions for you. Is this venue kids' friendly? I'm taking my boys 12 (well 13 in a few days) and 15. We have general entrance tickets. How soon should we show up to get as close as we can to the stage?

We live about 25 miles north of the city, and usually stay at the Omni (CNN Center) for the 4th of July. But it seems a bit far from Piedmont Park. What other hotel would you recommend?

I've been enjoying Chris Take Over of the 99X radio station on 9/29/2005. I bet he has no time to do that kind of stuff now. The festival dates are so bunched up. I'll check with the radio station though. I'd really love to meet him.

We are staying at the Courtyard Mariott and planning on walking. It should be a solid 20 minute walk. As far as what time to get there, that's up to you, since there will be music starting in the early afternoon.

The Black Keys take the stage from 7 - 8:15 and then there's a break (cage the elephant is playing from 8:15-9:15 on the other stage) and Coldplay starts at 9. There is no telling how the crowd will be, but if you want to be close, I would think be near the stage an hour before Black Keys, and when they end, folks may leave to allow for you to get closer. All a guess of course.

As for age friendliness of the place, I saw no problem when I saw Paul a few years back. However, festivals are a different bird. The Park is huge, and the closer you get, the "rowdier" it will become, but if you stand back, there should be no problem at all. It may be something you just have to feel out when you get there.

We are staying at the Courtyard Mariott and planning on walking. It should be a solid 20 minute walk. As far as what time to get there, that's up to you, since there will be music starting in the early afternoon.

The Black Keys take the stage from 7 - 8:15 and then there's a break (cage the elephant is playing from 8:15-9:15 on the other stage) and Coldplay starts at 9. There is no telling how the crowd will be, but if you want to be close, I would think be near the stage an hour before Black Keys, and when they end, folks may leave to allow for you to get closer. All a guess of course.

As for age friendliness of the place, I saw no problem when I saw Paul a few years back. However, festivals are a different bird. The Park is huge, and the closer you get, the "rowdier" it will become, but if you stand back, there should be no problem at all. It may be something you just have to feel out when you get there.

Thx again for your insight. I feel much better after a little research. Our Marta station, North Springs, is about 20 min from our home, conveniently on GA 400. So we'll park there and catch a ride to the park. We've lived in this area for 12 years now but have never been on Marta. So it'll be a little adventure in itself for the boys. Marta offers 24 hr free parking which is nice.

We'll then sit down Midtown and have a nice meal before entering the park at around 3p. There are no re-entry to the park, so we'll just have to endure The Joy Formidable, Manchester Orchestra, and the Black Keys (I hear they're quite good), all for a chance to have a very good spot and enjoy Coldplay at 9:15p. Oh the excitement!

Anyone heard of any rumblings on a setlist change? Surely it will not be the same setlist from the summer festivals with a brand new single out and talk of them rehearsing new material.

I just really really hope that the setlinst for this show will not be the same as what is used in the MX Tour. I am really hoping to see a different show when they tour!!

I actually hope the setlist isn't too different from the festival shows I've seen, especially Glastonbury. Just shove Paradise in there somewhere, and I'll be happy.

The problem with seeing Coldplay live now, is they have 'too' many songs that they have to play because of their popularity. You can't not play Fix You, Yellow, The Scientist, Clocks, Viva la Vida, In My Place, among several others; and then you have to play a lot of your new stuff.

Anyone heard of any rumblings on a setlist change? Surely it will not be the same setlist from the summer festivals with a brand new single out and talk of them rehearsing new material.

I just really really hope that the setlinst for this show will not be the same as what is used in the MX Tour. I am really hoping to see a different show when they tour!!

Since they have a couple of gigs before they get to ATL, I'm sure we'll know the new setlist. In fact, we should know tonight during the ACL streaming. Though I can see them work Till Kingdom Come in the ACL setlist and perhaps GA On My Mind in ATL.

For those who might not know, ATL holds a special place in Coldplay's hearts. Chris has said that in 2001, they were performing in US festivals with these heavy metal bands. The metal heads didn't like Coldplay being so soft that they were abusing them, throwing objects at them on stage, booing them, etc. Chris really wanted the band to pack up and go back home, but their manager at the time convinced them to try 1 more gig at the Tabernacle in Atlanta. So they did and had the greatest experience. For that he says Atlanta will always be very special to them.

After watching the show last night it seems like Paradise and not Up in Flames, so we still get Everything's Not Lost, which is a great song live! So I'm happy about that.

I don't know if they'll play Georgia on my mind, since they played it at the last show they did in Atlanta. During the Viva tour they sang it when they came to the outdoor venue (can't remember the name, it seems it changes all the time), but they did not play it when they played Phillips Arena during the early part of the tour (to my recollection).

In any regards, after watching last night, I'm more pumped!! Only a week away :D

Wow, This event is in 5 days, I think the Atlanta Media is underestimating ow big this event will be. I see no reference in the news to this, but yet Coldplay will be in Atlanta for the first time in years. Also, the addition of young the giant, cage the elephant, the black keys, and Manchester orchestra -one would think at least half a million people will be out there.

Wow, This event is in 5 days, I think the Atlanta Media is underestimating ow big this event will be. I see no reference in the news to this, but yet Coldplay will be in Atlanta for the first time in years. Also, the addition of young the giant, cage the elephant, the black keys, and Manchester orchestra -one would think at least half a million people will be out there.

99X has been talking about it every day for 2 months now.

What a difference a week makes! Atlanta has gotten a bit colder, especially at night. We'll need to dress warmly for the concert.

Wow! Good point! What is the weather forcast for Saturday? Any rain? I'm guessing if I go for the early shows it will be pretty hot and then get cold?

Other random question for the locals.. is there a bar near the enterance where I could watch the Georgia v. Ole Miss game? I'm thinking it starts at 12:00 and after Ole Miss (my team) is losing by about 30 I can just walk to the park....

How early is everyone planning on getting there? Are you going to get there early and spend the whole day getting as close/staying as close to the stage as you can, or what?

I'm trying to make up my mind what I should do. I'm going with my boyfriend, who doesn't like Coldplay (he only agreed to go because I started crying when he said he wouldn't go at first... haha) and he won't wanna stand in one spot for the entire day without any peepee breaks. I obviously wanna get as close as I can but I don't really wanna separate from my boyfriend, so I'm not sure what we'll be doing yet. :thinking: