✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[24-Sept-2011] Coldplay @ Atlanta's Music Midtown Festival

getithom

So, after all this time, I finally got to experience Coldplay live tonight at the festival. One of my best birthday presents yet! Got as close to the front as we could (had a friend with me). The bass was blowing me away at times, but it was a totally awesome, unforgettable experience. "Mylo Xyloto", "Hurts Like Heaven", "Major Minus", "Paradise", "Charlie Brown". . . all the new ones they played sounded great. Yes, even "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall". It was a shame that they didn't play "Us Against the World", but the tribute was nice anyway. I can't wait for them to come back around this way (Alabama/Georgia) again so I can see them for a second time. And, I've got to say, even if you don't like some of the new songs from what you've heard, hearing them live is a totally different experience that changes everything about the song. In the end, you haven't truly heard the song until you've heard it live and in person. Great job to the boys and I can't wait to see what they do next! If anyone wants to know anything about the concert/festival, feel free to ask! Cheers.

Yes all the new stuff sound great live. I was impressed with the teeny boops (and I was surrounded by them upfront) belting Paradise as if there were no tomorrow. The teens love the new songs.

There's no way you'd see them perform live and not like what you see and hear. They were perfect.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay honors R.E.M. at Music Midtown

092411MUSICMIDTOWNCOLDPLAY.jpg

With so many variables going into the return of Music Midtown – How many days should it be? Which artists would attract crowds while not bankrupting promoters? Will people still care about a festival that hasn’t existed for six years? Would the weather cooperate this time? – it’s a bit amazing that Saturday’s event fired flawlessly.

That pesky Mother Nature, who received a chunk of the blame for the fizzling of the well-regarded music festival in 2005, seemed to be apologizing to Peter Conlon and the Live Nation crew, as the sun seared brightly and temperatures hovered at 80 during the day and dipped pleasantly into the 60s by the time Coldplay took the stage.

Though this was a mini version of the Music Midtowns of yore –10 bands instead of dozens, one day instead of three – and the lineup was heavy on alternative rock acts popular among twentysomethings and the musically curious, it was enough to attract tens of thousands of people.

Throughout the day, bands performed on two stages set about 200 yards apart – The Postelles, Walk the Moon, Band of Skulls, Young the Giant and Cage the Elephant on the slightly smaller Great Southeastern Music Hall Stage and The Constellations, The Joy Formidable, Manchester Orchestra, The Black Keys and Coldplay on the massive Electric Ballroom Stage.

While the younger indie bands drew impressive crowds, by the time Chris Martin and Co. arrived at 9:15 p.m. – Jay-Z’s “99 Problems” played over the speakers moments before they took the stage – it was obvious that Coldplay’s star power was the significant draw of the event.

In many ways, Coldplay was the perfect headlining choice. They’re a tremendously popular band, but not U2 or Paul McCartney mega-size. They’re stocked with an arsenal of hits, but not super-poppy and, thus, not polarizing. And, as evidenced from what appeared to be about 40,000 people lining the Meadow at Piedmont Park, their crossover appeal among generations is admirable. (Organizers didn’t release official crowd numbers as of midnight. We’ll update when we have that info.)

During the opening trio of the new “Hurts Like Heaven” and classics “Yellow” and “In My Place,” the newly buff Martin skittered around the stage, racing from his graffiti-sprayed upright piano to the mic stand, acoustic guitar strapped high on his chest.

“Thank you for everything you had to do to be here,” he said. “We publicly love playing Atlanta.”

The quartet sounded crisp and beautifully layered throughout their 80-minute set. Their stage setup was surprisingly elaborate considering they’ve only done a handful of dates this summer to promote the Oct. 24 release of “Mylo Xyloto” – including Friday night at the I Heart Radio musical buffet in Las Vegas.

Lasers, spastic lights and a massive video screen in addition to the two that flanked the stage for all of the acts highlighted many songs, and during the clip-clopping “Lost!” a cascade of colorful inflatable balls was unleashed into the audience (and these are a loyal bunch – one fan near the front had staked out her spot at 11:45 a.m. and another had been stationed since 1 p.m.).

Though the band played a handful of tunes from “Mylo” – and they all sound like instant hits – Martin, guitarist Jonny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion didn’t neglect their catalog, even revamping “God Put A Smile Upon Your Face” into a locomotive-powered rocker.

Perhaps the rougher edge was a response to those who poke fun at Coldplay’s soft underbelly. But the band’s introspective side has produced some of its best material – “The Scientist,” “Yellow” and “Fix You,” their majestic anthem of hope poking through despair played during Saturday’s encore.

Coldplay also veered from their usual set list to say thanks to a musical influence – R.E.M.

Calling the band one of his favorites of all time who “for some crazy reason have finished,’ Martin said, humbly, that he and Coldplay wanted to play a song, “with the most respect in the world, to show how much they meant to us.”

With that came a lullaby-like rendition of “Everybody Hurts,” which didn’t sound overly rehearsed – as it shouldn’t.

Martin spent plenty of time hunched over his piano keyboard like the Peanuts’ Schroeder, but his most important playing came with the opening melody of “Viva La Vida.”

Still the band’s most lush song – and that’s saying something for these guys – it sounded slightly over modulated during Saturday’s show, odd considering the sound was so clean otherwise. But that didn’t deter the audience from singing along with the beloved “whoa-oh-oh-oh-ohhhh-a” refrain.

Coldplay closed its main set with the pensive piano ballad “Life is for Living” before returning with the melodically rich “Clocks,” the aforementioned “Fix You” and the crazy-catchy “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall,” its new reigning anthem that was capped with a flurry of fireworks.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-music-scene/2011/09/25/coldplay-honors-r-e-m-at-music-midtown/

What's up. New here, first Coldplay show after 150+ shows by other bands...blown away. Been following extensively since the Rock im Park / Rock am Ring shows. Great great promo run so far for MX, stoked for the album. Had so much fun at the show. My gf lives a mile away so we just walked :)

Here's my video of Everybody Hurts:

Coldplay - Everybody Hurts (R.E.M. Cover) (Acoustic) - YouTube

pics on my Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/musicmark

Setlist report of "it was like ACL" isn't right...

Music Midtown setlist:

MX

Hurts Like Heaven

Yellow

In My Place

Major Minor

Paradise

Lost!

The Scientist

Violet Hill

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

Everybody Hurts (REM Cover) (Acoustic/piano)

Politik

Viva La Vida

Charlie Brown

Life Is For Living

Encore:

Clocks

Fix You (Georgia On My Mind intro)

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

Hope this helps!

Very touching tribute. Welcome to the world of Coldplay Love <3! There is nothing/no one like

them! Thanks for the video and comments!

Thanks for the warm welcomes! I look forward to contributing here more as the MX cycle continues :)

I'll post a review of the show from our perspective shortly. I got only a few other video clips but I didn't get the Fix You intro - it's out there though.

Slight setlist correction for you..... I misplaced The Scientist in my post.

It came after God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (and right before the REM cover), not where I originally had it.

Amazing show. They were the best I've ever seen them. Perhaps it's because one of their idols from REM was in the front row, Peter Buck. It was awesome seeing him there.

Their cover of Everybody Hurts at the show was beyond amazing.

Also, Chris I've never seen Chris this energetic before and he was looking at the audience very weirdly, but in a playful manner and it was funny.

JONNY was going CRAZY, I have NEVER seen him like this before and I've watched all of the recent festival steams.

Also, they changed what plays on the screen a little and it's pretty cool.

I've seen the boys before, but THIS performance, was the best thing I have EVER seen.

I sense that the MX tour is going to be off the charts.

Oh... They played Everybody Hurts......

That must be one of the most beautiful songs ever written and now it's been sung by the most gorgeous voice in the world..........:cry:

Wow, I'm in serious tears... It's one of those days.

I'm so jealous of everyone who experienced that moment live.

Edit: I'm sorry, I totally fangirled.

I was blown away by this show. I had only ever been to one other Coldplay show and ended up being stuck in the back. While that one was great, it can't even compare to this one. We got there at around 12 and waiting to secure our spot at the front, so we had fantastic places. The show was unreal and say what you want about their "new direction songs" they are UNBELIEVABLE and so much fun live. I'm not a huge fan of Paradise, but their live arrangement was great. I can't wait to see them again!

Here are my pics:

Coldplay Music Midtown Festival 2011

I didn't get the beginning of Georgia On My Mind. Thought he was going to do Winehouse so I didn't get my camera out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85bQk5bcxLc]Coldplay - Georgia On My Mind - YouTube[/ame]

Some Fix You:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpSYO8WbymU]Coldplay - Fix You Music Midtown 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

Every Teardrop:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_LDje0OWEU]Coldplay - Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall Music Midtown 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

Here's the bow which was previously mentioned. I think they point at Peter Buck, then Chris kisses the ground right before walking off:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVbhYAC244]Coldplay Bowing at Music Midtown 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

We ended up on the road 10 hours later than planned due to a chain of crappy events. We got to the show much later than we wanted to, and ended up in the back of the crowd for Coldplay's performance. Even though I wasn't close to the stage, the show was still amazing. Chris is really good at making everyone feel like they're part of the show even if they're watching from a mile away.

I was pretty surprised when they covered REM... it was really good! I was a little sad they didn't play Us Against the World, but the REM tribute was pretty great.

Atlanta was a major pain to drive to, being 6 hours away from where I live, but I'll definitely see them in ATL next time they play. Chris said how much they love playing Atlanta, and it definitely showed, which made it a great experience.

On a side note... I wonder what the people flying into ATL thought when they saw all the laser lights out their airplane window. ;)

I mostly just lurk to myself here, and don't come out to say much. But seeing Coldplay Saturday at Music Midtown was absolutely amazing. I know a lot of people have seen them before, and this was my sixth time: I can easily say that this was the best I have ever seen them. Maybe it had to do with the fact that after seeing them five times before, I was finally at the front. Coldplay's stage set-up is huge; like it's meant to have an effect on people who are all the way in the back of the crowd just as much as it's giving those in the front a reaction...but up close it's insane. Because everything is so magnified at that close distance, you almost feel like you're on the stage itself for a moment.. That just took my breath away.

Then again, maybe it had to do with the crowd. It was also the first time I went to a Coldplay show and everyone around me was a giant, huge Coldplay fan-nerd like me. To my left, to my right, in front of me, behind me....Everyone was talking about Coldplay's music, Coldplay shows, the new album. I saw tons of homemade shirts... I couldn't believe it! There were a group of guys to my left who were dying to hear Charlie Brown in person. These guys sang all the words, didn't fuss at all the jumping and were just friggin' happy. It made the experience a bazillion times more beautiful.

I left the park that night thinking "well damn, it is great to be a Coldplay fan." The band could feel the love and they let it show in their set. I can't wait for this thing to officially kick off, 'cos after getting back from Coldplay, everyone and everything is no fun, lol.