✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why I am not giving up on Coldplay, yet.

Saket

I don't think it's looking grim. It's just different. I've been a fan from the beginning and while they have become more commercial, I also expected it. I find I tend to like the changes between albums. Good read though.

Let's just say the mood in the fan camp and even the critics (http://www.nme.com/news/coldplay/59172) is not very hopeful.

I am waiting for 24th October.

I don't see why anyone would give up on Coldplay over just one or two songs.. It's just ridiculous and I also think it's important to keep in mind this is indeed an album band. Even if their singles were pretty good before, the era, and the album experience as a whole is what matters.

Let's just say the mood in the fan camp and even the critics (http://www.nme.com/news/coldplay/59172) is not very hopeful.

I am waiting for 24th October.

Oh hello, I am one individual quoted in the fan reaction column. That is my two cents though. I just don't think ETIAW or Paradise have been up to par.

Sorry, that NME article is a fan reaction column. I meant this: http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=140&p=11097&title=coldplay_paradise_review&more=1&c=1

And that column is the first time I've actually agreed with NME in an age. What the author says is more than right.

All this aside though, it doesn't mean I'm giving up Coldplay. Far from it. Coldplay are still one of my favourite bands and I grew up listening to them. If I were suddenly to shun them from my life then that would just be stupid as through them I've got some amazing memories and friends.

But I am very dubious about this direction. I will give it a chance, I will listen to Mylo Xyloto (heck, I've preordered the limited-edition pop-up album). And maybe I won't like it as much as I've liked the previous albums, and maybe it will dim my love for current them a bit... But my Coldplay love and passion will always stay strong. I may just have to pretend that VLV was the last album they released, that's all.

I may just have to pretend that VLV was the last album they released, that's all.

Let's just say that this album turns out to be as bad as some are predicting it to be.. It shouldn't mean that Viva was the last record. U2 came out of "Pop" to reclaim the best band in the world position with "All That You Can't Leave Behind".

So can Coldplay with another record, IF in fact this turns out to be a disappointment.

Let's just say that this album turns out to be as bad as some are predicting it to be.. It shouldn't mean that Viva was the last record. U2 came out of "Pop" to reclaim the best band in the world position with "All That You Can't Leave Behind".

So can Coldplay with another record, IF in fact this turns out to be a disappointment.

Oh no, you're very right. These are all very hypothetical 'if' moments.

-If MX is as bad as it has the potential to be right now from what we've heard... Then I will just say VLV was the end of Colplay

-If they then come out to record something else fantastic that makes me eat my words then I will just pretend MX didn't exist.

-If I end up being completely wrong about MX, then I will make an apology.

Atleast we still have Charlie Brown, Us Against the World and Hurts Like Heaven that we know are on the album and know are pretty damn good... hell we have the studio version (Partly) of Charlie Brown and I think that it will be the song taken away from this era. Now we should be hearing Up in Flames and Don't Let It Break Your Heart pretty soon too. UiF is Chris' baby so if that bad then its a really bad sign, DLIBYH is a total mystery so we'll have to see.

I do agree though that as singles they were poorly picked, or picked to garner fan base/ popularity. They are not bad songs... just poor coldplay songs. Had they just been songs on the album it would not have been a big deal... They should have just picked Charlie Brown...

Edit: Really this is two meh songs out of 14, we know at least 4 out of the remaining 12 are pretty damn good.

The signs right now, for a die-hard fan is looking grim. The vibe around the built up to the album is that of doubt, fear and uncertainty.

My two cents:

http://the-secret-chords.blogspot.com/2011/09/why-i-am-not-giving-up-on-coldplay-yet.html

Nice blog... you reassured me. I think that the fans have reasons to be concerned—much the way I felt when I first heard "discotheque" by U2. The only reason I'm disappointed is that bands don't churn out albums as quickly as they used to. So even Coldplay deserves a mulligan... but then we wait three more years for LP6!

I totally, 100% agree with every single positive comment on this thread.

They deserve TRUE fans, and anyone that sticks with them through their need to become more mainstream is such. I fully respect and support Princess of China (which people need to realize was MADE to have her in it, that live version was NEVER meant to be-in a sense).

And it is completely necessary for a band to change with the times: I have a very large comment describing the way i feel in the 30second Paradise clip I posted. Here it is if you'd care to read it.

However based on the fact this is a fansite I don't understand why people would bother sticking around if they "hate the new Coldplay". I'm guessing everyone that thinks that was hoping MX would be different and more like the "old Coldplay". The things is, is that Coldplay will NEVER be the same as they were. They're changing with the times, which is actually A GOOD THING, because the only reason any 60s-80s band is doing well and releasing albums is because they've changed they're sound.

Try listening to a U2 or Rolling Stones album from the 21st century and compare it to their first stuff. I'll tell you now U2 still does well with their fan base, I heard a figure recently that said they're the best Concert Ticket Selling Band right now. Hopefully (assuming they stick together) Coldplay will have changed a bit with the times too, just enough to have a strong fan base 30 years from now.

The signs right now, for a die-hard fan is looking grim. The vibe around the built up to the album is that of doubt, fear and uncertainty.

My two cents:

http://the-secret-chords.blogspot.com/2011/09/why-i-am-not-giving-up-on-coldplay-yet.html

great article. i am very very VERY worried right now. I have been coldplay:24-7 ever since i heard the rumors that lp5 would drop christmas, 2010. and now, all this madness... however, this article convinced me that this album could still be great.:) so far the tracks: MX, HLH, CB, UATW, PoC, MM, i have all loved. large chunk of the album, so perhaps this will be Achtung Baby:)

Nice blog... you reassured me. I think that the fans have reasons to be concerned—much the way I felt when I first heard "discotheque" by U2. The only reason I'm disappointed is that bands don't churn out albums as quickly as they used to. So even Coldplay deserves a mulligan... but then we wait three more years for LP6!

Thanks! I still think we shouldn't term this as "mulligan". Crazy Coldplay fans like us are very impatient, and rightly so.. When you have your favorite band release a record after almost 3 years in the making and the singles are not as good as you expect them to be, frustration is bound to built up. But the wise thing to do right now is to wait till 24th October and then decide whether this is a Achtung Baby or Pop. (The prospect for "The Joshua Tree" seems very distant though)

great article. i am very very VERY worried right now. I have been coldplay:24-7 ever since i heard the rumors that lp5 would drop christmas, 2010. and now, all this madness... however, this article convinced me that this album could still be great.:) so far the tracks: MX, HLH, CB, UATW, PoC, MM, i have all loved. large chunk of the album, so perhaps this will be Achtung Baby:)

Thanks again.. Don't Panic!

I totally, 100% agree with every single positive comment on this thread.

They deserve TRUE fans, and anyone that sticks with them through their need to become more mainstream is such. I fully respect and support Princess of China (which people need to realize was MADE to have her in it, that live version was NEVER meant to be-in a sense).

And it is completely necessary for a band to change with the times: I have a very large comment describing the way i feel in the 30second Paradise clip I posted. Here it is if you'd care to read it.

However based on the fact this is a fansite I don't understand why people would bother sticking around if they "hate the new Coldplay". I'm guessing everyone that thinks that was hoping MX would be different and more like the "old Coldplay". The things is, is that Coldplay will NEVER be the same as they were. They're changing with the times, which is actually A GOOD THING, because the only reason any 60s-80s band is doing well and releasing albums is because they've changed they're sound.

Try listening to a U2 or Rolling Stones album from the 21st century and compare it to their first stuff. I'll tell you now U2 still does well with their fan base, I heard a figure recently that said they're the best Concert Ticket Selling Band right now. Hopefully (assuming they stick together) Coldplay will have changed a bit with the times too, just enough to have a strong fan base 30 years from now.

Can we just define what a fan is for your sake? A fan is someone who enjoys/enjoyed the music. We are not people that follow like blind sheep and like every single decision and direction that the band takes. We are allowed to criticise the music or the direction if we so like.

Most of us don't 'hate the new Coldplay' as you said, most of us dislike what we're hearing and are concerned. There is a massive difference. Only a few people have gone as far to hate/disown them at the moment. So please don't generalise and put us on your spectrum which only has 'love' and 'hate'.

Because we are less likely to just accept anything Coldplay put out does not make us any less of true fans. It makes us independent human beings. If you want to be hive minded and just blindly accept that-- then that's fine. But it does not make you any of a better fan than any of us.

Yes, it is necessary for a band to change with the times. None of us are saying it wasn't. But what we are saying is to us, this isn't evolution of Coldplay's sound. We know what beautiful music they can write and how their lyrics can touch us and they settle for overproduced pop and 'para-para-paradise' and 'wa-wa-wa-waterfall'. Moving to Mars showed glimmers that Coldplay are still able to write these kinds of tracks and they are choosing not to and to demote things like this to B-sides?

Whatever happened to Don Quixote? Wedding Bells? Famous Old Painters? Christmas Lights? Those showed the right sort of evolution.

We are true fans. You are true fans. That's that.

Can we just define what a fan is for your sake? A fan is someone who enjoys/enjoyed the music. We are not people that follow like blind sheep and like every single decision and direction that the band takes. We are allowed to criticise the music or the direction if we so like.

Most of us don't 'hate the new Coldplay' as you said, most of us dislike what we're hearing and are concerned. There is a massive difference. Only a few people have gone as far to hate/disown them at the moment. So please don't generalise and put us on your spectrum which only has 'love' and 'hate'.

This hits the nail on the head. No one is trying to split the Coldplay camp into "old fans" and "new fans." After hearing the recent output, people are concerned about the direction the band is taking. The fans worry that it doesn't mark a maturation in sound, that it's actually a regression. The world isn't black + white; similarly, if we dislike a song, that doesn't mean we hate Coldplay.

Take this analogy: Friends generally support our actions. But good friends also tell us when we're in the wrong so we can fix it before it's too late. Bad friends on the other hand turn a blind eye and continue to tell us everything is great.

I like the friends analogy but when it comes to music, there is no clear right or wrong. It´s way too subjective. In retrospect there could be more agreement on what worked and what didn´t, and even then people still have different responses (see X&Y). So no I don´t think Coldplay needs anyone to tell them they are doing wrong: they should be allowed to express their music as they see fit. It´s fine for people to dislike the new material but I don´t think it´s fine for them to try to turn their disliking into a definition of what´s good or bad music

even if they are an "album band" horrible songs like paradise and etiaw are on the album, and in the context of an album i can't stand songs like these ones.

I don't think "Paradise" is a horrible song (in my opinion). Well, when "Brick By Brick" by Arctic Monkeys came, it wasn't that impressive but it fits in "Suck it and See" quite nicely. So, let's hope same goes for Mylo Xyloto as well.

That was a very well-written article--I wholeheartedly agree with everything that was said. I think it's true that some of us set our expectations a little too high for Paradise--I mean, the second singles are always Coldplay's best, are they not? (see "Yellow", "The Scientist" "Fix You", "Viva la Vida" [no, not the best single necessarily, but look at its chart positions]).

It would be ludicrous for fans to 'give up on Coldplay' after just two songs--especially when taking into consideration that they are an album band in the truest sense. I really don't think that fans are 'giving up' per se, but are rather voicing their disappointment and worries a bit more than usual.

I know I haven't given up on Coldplay yet (and even if Mylo Xyloto is their worst album by a mile, I'm going to stay confident that their next effort will be better); and unless their next three or four albums are complete and utter flops (which won't happen IMO) my confidence will remain.

Also . . . Paradise wasn't bad necessarily: the lyrics are fairly decent overall (perhaps not for what we've come to expect from Coldplay, but alright nonetheless). But I think it's the lack-luster chorus and synth overload that killed it. The song was great until the chorus.