✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

iPhone 4S

rudy_o

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's os5 like?

Really cool, although the Reminders app is a huge disappointment to me. But the new way for the device to deal with notifications is great. And there's a lot of little details to make everything a little bit easier.

Really cool, although the Reminders app is a huge disappointment to me. But the new way for the device to deal with notifications is great. And there's a lot of little details to make everything a little bit easier.

I agree. Except, I never had any high expectations for the Reminders app.

apple should have released iphone 5 but apparently it was really not...and the 4s doesn't make any huge difference comparing to iphone 4.. the feature, application even the outfit look just like iphone 4. the only thing that makes difference is there's an additional voice system called siri, better resolution camera for 8 mp, and twice faster for browsing.....that's what i have seen from several videos review on youtube. let me know if i'm wrong. this is just my opinion :D peace out!

• 4 weeks later...

:nod:

Your better off buying another phone,unless your rich,I got a samsung galaxy SII for $400NZD,the iphone 4s was $1256.

The galaxy does everything the iphone does,actually the galaxy has superior specs.

Yes, the iPhone costs more, but it's precisely because it can do A LOT more than other phones (just compare the damn applications stores) and in a better way... the few times I used a Samsung Galaxy, it felt like using a rusty tractor.

:nod:

Yes, the iPhone costs more, but it's precisely because it can do A LOT more than other phones (just compare the damn applications stores) and in a better way... the few times I used a Samsung Galaxy, it felt like using a rusty tractor.

Who cares about the app store???

What else can it do that the S2 can't?

The Apple App Store simply has a lot more apps, that's a lot more ways to improve your phone, and the apps in the App Store can do more because the iPhone, with its chip, is more powerful. Now I only compared 1 app, and it was a game, Doodle Jump, but you could totally feel the difference, the game isn't the same.

And I'll add to this that the iPhone display since #4 is absolutely breathtaking, pictures and videos are incredible too...

All this to say that yeah, iPhone users pay more, but it's for real quality. Samsung Galaxys are nice phones, and indeed they're cheaper, but it simply can't be compared to the iPhone.

I'm going to be honest and say I now think the iPhone is an overhyped pile of shit, it's only good for people who want to waste their time downloading and messing about with stupid apps that are nearly all completely pointless, all the Apple fanatics seem to say iOS 5 is great and there's so much more on it but I haven't noticed any difference on my iPad, although to tell the truth I hardly use it, Apple make great computers and I wouldn't think of getting anything else but I'm really not fond of the iPhone, there are quite a few Android phones that are more powerful and have better cameras.

it's only good for people who want to waste their time downloading and messing about with stupid apps that are nearly all completely pointless

There's a lot of pointless stuff, I won't deny that. But there's a lot of good stuff too, practical, beautiful, entertaining. Funny sometimes, even some pointless stuff!

Don't get me wrong, I don't spend hours finding and downloading apps. I always have the same 30 apps in my phone, I just download new ones from time to time. I could totally live without iPhone of course, but my everyday life isn't the same with those apps that I always carry with me.

all the Apple fanatics seem to say iOS 5 is great and there's so much more on it but I haven't noticed any difference on my iPad

iOS 5 is indeed cool, I agree that it's not the best update Apple ever did - iOS 4 was way better - but it's nice. The Notification Center and all the new notifications stuff is totally cool. iMessage, the multi-touch gestures and the Newsstand must be really nice for the iPad. And I enjoy all the little things, with the Camera app especially : taking a picture right from the lock screen, using the volume + button to take it... Little stuff, but making things easier.

And all of this is from an update. A free update. To me, that's not bad at all.

although to tell the truth I hardly use it

Well go use iMessage, Newsstand and the multi-touch things, and get notifications !

there are quite a few Android phones that are more powerful and have better cameras.

I highly doubt that.

Powerful = just look at the big games on iPhone. Things like Infinity Blade, Dead Space, Modern Combat 3, Real Racing, NFL Rivals... I'm not a gamer, I don't have any of those, but still... Those games need a hell of a chip. And like I said, even Doodle Jump is more developed on iPhone than on Android.

Cameras = what makes you say that? Megapixels? Doing great pictures isn't just about megapixels. They're important, of course, but actually, if you have too much megapixels, they can make the picture worse than it should be. The iPhone 4S has 8 megapixels, but it has 4 or 5 great optics, a backside illumination sensor, stuff to make the colors look good... I was highly disappointed the day I took pictures with my dad's Samsung.

There's a lot of pointless stuff, I won't deny that. But there's a lot of good stuff too, practical, beautiful, entertaining. Funny sometimes, even some pointless stuff!

Don't get me wrong, I don't spend hours finding and downloading apps. I always have the same 30 apps in my phone, I just download new ones from time to time. I could totally live without iPhone of course, but my everyday life isn't the same with those apps that I always carry with me.

iOS 5 is indeed cool, I agree that it's not the best update Apple ever did - iOS 4 was way better - but it's nice. The Notification Center and all the new notifications stuff is totally cool. iMessage, the multi-touch gestures and the Newsstand must be really nice for the iPad. And I enjoy all the little things, with the Camera app especially : taking a picture right from the lock screen, using the volume + button to take it... Little stuff, but making things easier.

And all of this is from an update. A free update. To me, that's not bad at all.

Well go use iMessage, Newsstand and the multi-touch things, and get notifications !

I highly doubt that.

Powerful = just look at the big games on iPhone. Things like Infinity Blade, Dead Space, Modern Combat 3, Real Racing, NFL Rivals... I'm not a gamer, I don't have any of those, but still... Those games need a hell of a chip. And like I said, even Doodle Jump is more developed on iPhone than on Android.

Cameras = what makes you say that? Megapixels? Doing great pictures isn't just about megapixels. They're important, of course, but actually, if you have too much megapixels, they can make the picture worse than it should be. The iPhone 4S has 8 megapixels, but it has 4 or 5 great optics, a backside illumination sensor, stuff to make the colors look good... I was highly disappointed the day I took pictures with my dad's Samsung.

You are aware there are some Android phones that are definatly more powerful than the iPhone spec wise?, I think there might even be some Quad core ones already out,iMessage was an afterthought and isn't anything to write home about, it certainly isn't the rival to BBM that people claimed it would be.

I'm not saying overall the iPhone is a bad phone but overall it isn't the best and is by no means the Holy Grail of phones like Apple would like to have everyone believe, and overall alot of Android phones are just as good and some perform better, as for me I recently got the new BlackBerry Bold and it runs just as fast as an iPhone, it also has a battery that lasts more than 5 minutes, plus a keyboard I can type on, secure email,and a free international messaging service that comes in very handy for me, and enough actually useful apps to keep me happy as I don't want to sit aging people or making fart noises on my phone.

Well I'm glad we all have the stuff we like!

I am just totally in love with the retina display, iCloud, the Camera, iOS, the iPod in it... and the Apple apps : Pages, Keynote, iMovie, even find my phone, find my friends...

About chips : no quad core things yet, HTC edge should be the first, one day...

it also has a battery that lasts more than 5 minutes

I have to agree that the 4S battery wasn't good when I bought it. But since iOS 5.1 it's all normal again.

plus a keyboard I can type on

Oh come on. That sounds like my grandma.

No, sorry for that :D

I know this is gonna sound very cliché : to me BlackBerrys are cool, but they're limited. Nice for work, people say, but I would still rather work my iPhone than any BB. Plus keyboards tend to break fast... especially when there's a wheel...

secure email

I think that also came with iOS5

and a free international messaging service that comes in very handy for me

Now that must be VERY cool. But that came from your mobile phone company, right?

as I don't want to sit aging people or making fart noises on my phone.

Me neither. ;) I just downloaded a 'Mustache' app once. I had to confess that.

Well I'm glad we all have the stuff we like!

I am just totally in love with the retina display, iCloud, the Camera, iOS, the iPod in it... and the Apple apps : Pages, Keynote, iMovie, even find my phone, find my friends...

About chips : no quad core things yet, HTC edge should be the first, one day...

I have to agree that the 4S battery wasn't good when I bought it. But since iOS 5.1 it's all normal again.

Oh come on. That sounds like my grandma.

No, sorry for that :D

I know this is gonna sound very cliché : to me BlackBerrys are cool, but they're limited. Nice for work, people say, but I would still rather work my iPhone than any BB. Plus keyboards tend to break fast... especially when there's a wheel...

I think that also came with iOS5

Now that must be VERY cool. But that came from your mobile phone company, right?

Me neither. ;) I just downloaded a 'Mustache' app once. I had to confess that.

My BB doesn't have the wheel it's touchscreen with a keyboard too:

blackberry-bold-9900-front-1.jpg

I'm not knocking you for liking the iPhone I just find it slightly annoying how some people can get about them, like the rest of us are missing out if we don't have one and were all fools for buying another product.

BBM doesn't work from your phone company it is linked to the handset and goes completly over RIMs servers, one thing I find very very useful with it is that it is linked to the actual phones unique pin not your phone number so when I go to visit my family in the US, I can remove my sim card from the UK and put a pre paid one from the US in my phone and I still can talk to everyone for free without having to change anything or re add anyone or give out different numbers etc.

I much prefer typing messages on a keyboard than on a touchscreen and the Bold keyboard is ergonomically perfect, and the rest of the phone is touchscreen or you can navigate it via the buttons like a normal phone if you prefer.

The iPhone does have a great screen and the one thing I really liked about mine was that I could have an iPod and a phone in one device but using it in the gym as an iPod would just further reduce battery life and I couldn't fit all my music on it so I'm cool with having 2 seperate devices now.

No I know you're not and even though it can look like I'm a bit agressive about all this - sorry for that -, I'm not saying that everybody should own an iPhone or something. Totally not. ;)

What I just really dislike is when people start saying or implying that iPhone is shit because Android stuff have 'the exact same things', which isn't true, and are cheaper, therefore buying an iPhone is the stupidest, pointless thing you could ever do. I know a lot of people buy the iPhone because OMG ITS SO SHINY but there is more than that!

Great trick about texting from the US for free! I didn't realize but in a way iMessage will be cool for that for me too, I have family in Germany.

I think as an actual communication tool I much prefer BlackBerry, it also seems most business people are still the same and nearly all younger people in the UK seem to prefer them too, but that's not to say everyone should get one.

Yes Android phones do offer everything the iPhone does more or less but I do get why people have an iPhone, if you look at it without the Apple hype and marketing yes it still is a good product, it's just some Apple fans seem to think everyone else should have one which irritates me, don't get me wrong I like Apples products, I personally prefer their computers alot to a Windows based one but that doesn't mean I think everyone else should get one, and there's nothing wrong with Windows, just a Mac suits me better and some software I use is Mac only.

Well actually about businesses I was certain too that Blackberry was mostly used, but a French blog posted this this morning and I was really surprised to see that iPhone was now leading...

ipass.jpg

I agree about Macs/Windows, it all depends on what use you make of a computer. Same here, I have to use Mac only software, but my brother needs a lot of games, so he switched from Mac to Windows.

I think on a Worldwide scale BlackBerry are still the leading business phone but they have definatly been in decline over the past few years, although their meant to be releasing some very new and powerful phones next year so hopefully that will get them back on track.

BTW I'm intrigued how does that Siri thing work and like how much can it actually do for you?, I admit that does sound pretty cool.

From what the blog says it looks like the chart was a worldwide one but I can't be 100% sure.

Well Siri is fun, but... here in France it's still a funny gadget, not that much useful. It doesn't recognize the language perfectly - I spend a loooooot of time repeating stuff...! And with long SMS/Mails you always have to correct it - and we don't have all the features yet, a few of those are missing but they will come in 2012. For example we don't have Google Maps and places integrated yet. I still use it everyday though, mostly for scheduling meetings - that one is very useful and works great -, the weather, the clock - setting the timer while cooking : awesome ! - and the iPod, even though my library is full of English names :\ ...

Now in the US, it must be amazing. Siri recognizes English way better, knows a lot more stuff, can do much more searches on the web and bring the results back without going to the browser, ask for directions, places around you... I can't wait to see that coming here.

Overall I think it's nice, but it's just the beginning, it needs time. Apple says it's just a beta version and in a year or 2, with great improvements, it'll probably be really cool.

So can you just ask it to type a text for you and stuff?, I saw the advert on the Apple site and did think it looked like something I would probably love for about a week, then forget about and not use, but some people seem to say it's fantastic so I don't know, one of my friends is getting her new iPhone next week so I will check it out then, do you have to program it to your specific voice though or does it just recognize anyones?.

Yes! It works great with SMS & mails because you can use only your voice. From the lockscreen you tell Siri who you want to write to, Siri will ask you what you want to say, show you the text and ask a confirmation, in case there's something wrong. I have to say I rarely use that, my texts and mails are usually long and need correction. And you have to say "comma", "dot" and everything... And I pause a lot during the dictation to think about what I have to write, so Siri thinks I'm done and stops too soon... I know it's not a 'first world problem', but still, it's annoying :lol:

But basically, anywhere where there's a keyboard, in any app, there's a little microphone button if you want Siri to write. I could have written this message here in Coldplaying with Siri.

About the voice no it can understand everyone. But I read somewhere that with time it gets used to your voice and gets better and better at understanding you.

Now I have a question - how would you call Siri in English ? 'He' in Europe and 'she' in the US, or 'it' everywhere ?

And guess what, I just saw this morning that Android was working on a Siri-like-thing for Android phones... This is just... :facepalm: It's always the same. Get your own innovations, guys...