✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

iPhone 4S

rudy_o

10-4-2011iphone4stop.jpg

What's this? The second coming of the iPhone 4? Sure enough, Tim Cook just pulled the covers off of the hotly-anticipated iPhone 4S here in Cupertino, making 2011 the first year in the company's current stint in the smartphone business that it chose to launch three new handsets (Verizon's CDMA iPhone 4 included, of course). On the outside the 4S looks exactly like its predecessor, but on the inside it's "all new." Apple has jammed a dual-core A5 CPU inside alongside a new dual-core GPU that supposedly boosts graphics performance by up to 7x. Up front is the same 3.5-inch Retina display we've all come to know and love, and around back is a glass plate. Those antennae around the sides (which caused many users so much trouble) have been revamped and iOS will intelligently switch between two different sets on the fly to avoid dropping calls no matter how you hold it. Those antennae are connected to a dual-mode GSM and CDMA radio that will let Apple's handset roam the globe while enjoying either 14.4Mbps HSPA+ or EV-DO Rev. A.

iPhone 4S

On the back is also a new camera that sports an 8-megapixel camera with a backside illuminated CMOS sensor for better low-light performance. The lens now comes packed in a new 5-element assembly with a hybrid IR filter and sports apertures down to f/2.4. The improved visuals extend to video performance as well. The 4S can record 1080p video and has a new image signal processor for image stabilization and facial recognition, making the handset's camera comparable to many point-and-shoots. The camera is also quite a bit faster than many other smartphone shooters, needing only 1.1 seconds before being ready to take the first shot and only half a second between successive images.

The 4S is also the first Apple handset to come packing Siri virtual assistant tech baked in. Just tap the mic on the keyboard (just like on Android!) and start talking to enter text, check the weather, get directions or perform web searches.

As far as battery life, you're looking at eight hours of talk over 3G, and 14 hours of 2G, while web browsing over 3G cuts off at six hours. Using WiFi you'll get a respectable nine hours of web, video playback tops out at 10 hours and music at 40 hours. The 4S will come in both black and white, starting at $199 for 16GB and $299 for the 32GB, but the big news is a new 64GB model coming in at a whopping $399. You'll be able to pre-order this friday, October 7th, and it'll start shipping on October 14th in the US, Canada, Australia, UK, France, Germany, and Japan. Oh, and Apple is welcoming Sprint to the family here in the States, while Vodafone, O2, Orange, T-Mobile and Three will all be carrying it in the UK.

What say you? I am now contemplating whether I should get one or just buy a Samsung Galaxy S2. Or maybe I should just get an iPhone 4 for only $99 if there's not much difference relative to iPhone 4S, idk.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What say you? I am now contemplating whether I should get one or just buy a Samsung Galaxy S2. Or maybe I should just get an iPhone 4 for only $99 if there's not much difference relative to iPhone 4S, idk.

I'm thinking the same thing. I'm wondering if I should just save $100 and get iphone 4. I was underwhelmed by 4s. I was surprised that there wasn't a complete redesign when we waited for over a year this time.

I'm thinking the same thing. I'm wondering if I should just save $100 and get iphone 4. I was underwhelmed by 4s. I was surprised that there wasn't a complete redesign when we waited for over a year this time.

Yeah, agreed. I think the problem was that they delayed the announcement until this month instead of keeping it at i think June. Most people thought that this delay would obviously mean that they're doing a whole new re-design rather than a few little updates. I was pretty annoyed that they only announced the 4s.

Personally, i think this iphone 4s is for all those people who have never had an iPhone before but want to get one. I couldn't imagaine many 3gs or 4 users upgrading

That's me. :| But I'm thinking of getting an iPhone 4 though. :|

Same here! :laugh3: This will be my first smartphone ever and I'm thinking about getting 4 instead of 4S. I'm kind of wavering now that I figured out the $100 iPhone 4 is only 8 GB. I would prefer 16 GB or 32 GB (I have a 16 GB touch right now) and if I want that I'd have to get 4S.

:P

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

Seriously, there aren't too much differences between iPhone 4 and 4S. :uhoh:

Don't you feel like giving Samsung Galaxy S2 a shot? I heard it is just as good as iPhones but I'm not too sure how true it is. I'm more fond of iPhones though.

I want to give Android a shot, but I don't want to get locked into a 2 year contract and then end up hating the phone when I know for a fact that I will like iPhone. I just don't know much about droid. :shrug: And I know there aren't a lot of differences. :P I'm looking at storage space.

I want to give Android a shot, but I don't want to get locked into a 2 year contract and then end up hating the phone when I know for a fact that I will like iPhone. I just don't know much about droid. :shrug: And I know there aren't a lot of differences. :P I'm looking at storage space.

SAME HEREEEEEE.

But well, iPhone 4 only has 8GB of storage. :\ I wonder if that's enough...

I broke my iPhone 4, and it's my birthday tomorrow, so I'll buy a 4S. I saved some money.

The 4 is a great phone, but 8GB just isn't enough. I had a hard time keeping space for video recording with 16GB, because I always put a lot of music in it. Plus if you like games, the most amazing ones use a lot of space.

Plus I really like that Siri thing :smug: And, of, course, the new camera.

What about a Berry?, I used to hve an iphone 4 and am quite a fan of Apple products but phone wise I much prefer a BlackBerry, they have just released some powerful new models including a new full touchscreen version and BB OS 7 is much better, similar to Android in my opinion, plus you get far better battery life,secure work email if that's your thing and BBM!!.

It does amaze me how dedicated Apple fans get so excited about nothing, the next product I will be getting will be one of their re designed Mac Book Pros next year if its not a completly different laptop I will be pissed off because I've put off getting a new one for this reason and my current laptop struggles to run my music software as well as I would like, I'm kind of tempted to get a new one now but if I'm paying out all that money I want something that is differnt style wise to my almost 3 year old one.

I broke my iPhone 4, and it's my birthday tomorrow, so I'll buy a 4S. I saved some money.

The 4 is a great phone, but 8GB just isn't enough. I had a hard time keeping space for video recording with 16GB, because I always put a lot of music in it. Plus if you like games, the most amazing ones use a lot of space.

Plus I really like that Siri thing :smug: And, of, course, the new camera.

Yeah I'm thinking that I'm going to get a 4s because I know I need at least 16 GB to hold all my stuff.

What about a Berry?, I used to hve an iphone 4 and am quite a fan of Apple products but phone wise I much prefer a BlackBerry, they have just released some powerful new models including a new full touchscreen version and BB OS 7 is much better, similar to Android in my opinion, plus you get far better battery life,secure work email if that's your thing and BBM!!.

Blackberry is alright... but when it comes to music player, we all know that Apple does it better. I wouldn't want to carry a phone and maybe an iPod everywhere. iPhone has both features combined, so, yeah. :shrug:

Yeah I'm thinking that I'm going to get a 4s because I know I need at least 16 GB to hold all my stuff.

I'm still undecided...

Blackberry is alright... but when it comes to music player, we all know that Apple does it better. I wouldn't want to carry a phone and maybe an iPod everywhere. iPhone has both features combined, so, yeah. :shrug:

I'm still undecided...

I don't mind carrying 2 devices, my music won't fit on an iPhone so I have a Classic iPod and also I find it better because playing music doesn't drain your phones battery, I can appreciate the appeal of having it all in one though so would say if that's important to you then get an iPhone, for the actual function and use of a phone a BlackBerry is much better for me, I guess it doesn't help that about 70% of the people I talk to alot are on BBM:laugh3:.

If apple have announced the new iPhone in October, are they going to announce the 2011 range of iPods?

They did. It was at the same event that they announced iPhone. I think the iPods all look the same, but they improved the software (similarly to the way iPhone 4s looks like 4 but has some different features). I also think they've lowered the prices of the iPods a little. Otherwise, they're pretty much the same. No new form factors or new surprise iPods that are even smaller than the nano.