✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Themes/Motifs in Mylo Xyloto

Brent

I think the gravity theme is related to the losing theme. He feels lost, which is another way of saying that he feels that his feet are not on the ground. This is not literally, of course, but means that he doesn’t understand his own feelings and thoughts. The gravity is a way of expressing this feeling of losing touch of the ground.

Is there anyone that thinks that the rebel boy/girl couple theme (probably unconsciously) has to do with 1984 even more than the White Rose Movement? They sing about the one eye following you (Big Brother) and how they rebel against society like Winston (= Mylo) is in the book. Winston has this thing going on with Julia (=princess of China/Xyloto) who he thinks is a rebel too, but their relationship is troublesome to say the least.

I definitely believe in starting again as being a theme of Mylo Xyloto.

In the BBC Steve Llamacq interview with Chris and Jonny a dream analyst interpreted the album as being "Don't Give up". I couldn't help but relate to this and really agree that the album says this.

The next is very long and personal. You have been warned.

Just now I listened to Us Against the World to hear the lines "So whatever you do, don't let go," as I'm struggling with some things. This song being followed by Every Teardrop is a Waterfall (with M.M.I.X. as the transition) suddenly gave me almost an epiphany in relation to the meanings, moods and order of these songs. Almost 8 months ago, one of my best friends died in a tragic accident. A very sad time followed and I cried for days right after and every now and then. Grief hurts less with time.

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall was released around my graduation from high school. It was a time of happiness but I also had mixed emotions in relation to my friend. One of the things I remember the most clearly about my summer was rocking out feeling pure joy to ETIAW. It made me feel on top and great about celebrating life while still looking back on memories and how I'd gotten through the hardest part (no pun intented).

So hearing Us Against the World, which I wish I could share with him, suddenly felt like hearing my experiences of the time shortly after his death explained completely. "Like a river to a raindrop I lost a friend." It makes my eyes tear, I must admit. Then ETIAW comes on and reminds me that you can "hurt me bad, but still I'll raise the flag."

Sorry, I know this is very long and personal but I felt the need to let it out, because I got a bit down tonight. It made me miss talking to said friend. I turned to Mylo Xyloto for help and found some help to an unexpected degree. I just felt like letting this off my chest and to show gratitude for the amazingness of Coldplay and their music.

To conclude, yes, to start again is an important theme of MX along with don't give up.

I'm very sorry for your loss. We work our way through grief in many ways. I'm sure the guys would be very pleased to know that one of their songs helped you heal.

I'm very sorry for your loss. We work our way through grief in many ways. I'm sure the guys would be very pleased to know that one of their songs helped you heal.

Thank you very much. It actually took a while before I could listen to Coldplay properly after the accident because I could associate every song to my friend, our past and my feelings towards him and his death. I forced the music upon myself, though, and eventually it soothed more than it hurt me.