✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Themes/Motifs in Mylo Xyloto

Brent

One of the things I love about Coldplay is their ability to write a beautifully cohesive album that really rallies upon a theme: Viva la Vida was wound around revolution (both personal and political), X&Y contained ruminations about Chris' personal life and deepest concerns.

These themes are uplifted, too, by repetitive motifs like Chris' obsession with gravity and his feet not touching the ground (like Viva's "Now My Feet Won't Touch the Ground"). This is reflected in his lyrical content from Parachutes until now.

I think we know enough about MX by now that we can start discussing this.

One thing I've noticed is the motif of "starting over" or being reborn. According to the Q Mag's track-by-track, for example, Up With the Birds contains the lyrics:

The birds, they sang at break of day/Start again, I hear them say

Sounds great to me!

And in Us Against the World Chris sings:

Morning comes bursting the clouds, again

(As in, a new day is born)

then later:

If we could float away/fly up to the surface and just start again

I think there's a lot of potential to hear this kind of stuff in LP5, both on the surface and far below it. This is by far my favorite part of the release of a new Coldplay album!

Thoughts? :D

I agree. There is an energy to this album that seems to revolve around starting over or improving things. I also like that there is an antagonistic moment with Major Minus. That within that song we hear an opposite of the "starting over" concept. It gives the story contrast. Im anxious to hear how the rest of the album ties into the story we already know.

Call me crazy, but I think that Mylo Xyloto is a continuation of the rebellion theme in Viva. The album itself is inspired by Anti-Nazi movements, and of course, Graffiti, the urban way of expressing yourself.

Viva wasn't a story, but Mylo is, so Side A (The first 7 tracks ending with ETIAW) is the story of the rebellion in Viva, mentioned in "Us Against the World" and especially in "Charlie Brown", with MMIX/ETIAW being the celebration song of their victory.

Unfortunately, Side B (The last 7 beginning with MM) is the story of how it all fell apart under the consequences of the leaders' selfish actions, as mentioned in "Princess Of China" and "Up In Flames". Should I assume that "Mylo Xyloto" himself is the person that drives the rebels apart, that would mean Mylo Xyloto is an outsider. An "Alien", metaphorically speaking. If that's true, "Major Minus" could be about how he was watching the leaders' every move, and "U.F.O." could be about how he came to the new republic and drove the rebellion against the rebellion (i hope that makes sense :laugh3:). Grafitti, the urban way of expressing yourself, is a major theme to Side B, the thoughts and hatrid of the people in the original resistance, spreading their influence onto the walls of the city.

So, Anti-Nazi Movements and possibly even Viva itself inspired Side A's tracks, while Grafitti inspired Side B.

That's my theory. :D

Chris really obsessed with gravity.

No more keeping my feet on the ground

LIT II

Now my feet won't touch the ground

Gravity

Solid ground

Things are always lost (or not lost), coming undone and missing.

But btw the UATW lyrics goes "Oh morning come bursting the clouds, AMEN" I supose.

Call me crazy, but I think that Mylo Xyloto is a continuation of the rebellion theme in Viva. The album itself is inspired by Anti-Nazi movements, and of course, Graffiti, the urban way of expressing yourself.

Viva wasn't a story, but Mylo is, so Side A (The first 7 tracks ending with ETIAW) is the story of the rebellion in Viva, mentioned in "Us Against the World" and especially in "Charlie Brown", with MMIX/ETIAW being the celebration song of their victory.

Unfortunately, Side B (The last 7 beginning with MM) is the story of how it all fell apart under the consequences of the leaders' selfish actions, as mentioned in "Princess Of China" and "Up In Flames". Should I assume that "Mylo Xyloto" himself is the person that drives the rebels apart, that would mean Mylo Xyloto is an outsider. An "Alien", metaphorically speaking. If that's true, "Major Minus" could be about how he was watching the leaders' every move, and "U.F.O." could be about how he came to the new republic and drove the rebellion against the rebellion (i hope that makes sense :laugh3:). Grafitti, the urban way of expressing yourself, is a major theme to Side B, the thoughts and hatrid of the people in the original resistance, spreading their influence onto the walls of the city.

So, Anti-Nazi Movements and possibly even Viva itself inspired Side A's tracks, while Grafitti inspired Side B.

Thats a good alternative view point. I guess it comes down to we interpret it individually. I dont think there is a right or wrong interpretation. Obviously, the bands interpretation is the original and we have/will create our own ideas and thoughts!

Thats a good alternative view point. I guess it comes down to we interpret it individually. I dont think there is a right or wrong interpretation. Obviously, the bands interpretation is the original and we have/will create our own ideas and thoughts!

well put! Bet thats what the band wants everyone to do:)

Also, on Major Minus: "its jus-ust-us against the world"

That motif about a boy and girl together fighting is more latent within it.

Love it!

I think the bit in ETIAW "from underneath the rubble sing a rebel song" kind of expands on that too.

That, and I think they send for help in AHT and receive the answer in DLIBYH, then win the final victory in UWTB.

I agree. It also seems that they've taken some of the rebellion elements from Viva and incorporated them into MX.

Clearly, Chris is obsessed with:

1. Gravity

2. Rebellion

3. Asking people if they are okay at concerts

I agree, i think some part is definitely about rebellion and freely saying what you think without worrying about opposing opinions. The fact that the album was based on an anti-nazi movement makes this pretty clear. There are probably maybe one of two more themes though that's the only one that i'm pretty sure on

I also love the themes that can come up in an album. Whether that's a choice phrasing (like now my feet won't touch the ground - which I LOVED, as I felt he used it in saying he was happy because his wife - LITii - his friends - NMFWTTG - and his kids - Strawberry Swing).

It seems like Us Against the World and Every Teardrop is a Waterfall are going to be repeated lines. I'm not sooo crazy about them, but that can change.

Clearly, this album (era) is more interconnected purposefully than the rest. I'll be interested to see what this comes to in the full album.

In my mind Parachutes and AROBTTH, even if they didn't have defined themes, had defined moods - conveyed lyrically and musically. X & Y is clearly very much Chris in husband and father mode, and thinking all about it. Not to mention brother mode.

Viva was such a colorful album in my mind. In a lot of ways I don't see the album as retaining a consistent theme or message. I think we get where his head is pretty clearly, but its a lot of places. But I thought this worked perfectly. While some albums could sound out of place with the great variation, Viva thrived with it, in my mind.

It seems like MX may be similarly colorful, but more consistent in theme. The love story seems quite at the heart. I really can't wait for the whole album to be here. 20 listens in maybe I'll have wrapped my head around themes and another conversation can start.

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely believe in starting again as being a theme of Mylo Xyloto.

In the BBC Steve Llamacq interview with Chris and Jonny a dream analyst interpreted the album as being "Don't Give up". I couldn't help but relate to this and really agree that the album says this.

The next is very long and personal. You have been warned.

Just now I listened to Us Against the World to hear the lines "So whatever you do, don't let go," as I'm struggling with some things. This song being followed by Every Teardrop is a Waterfall (with M.M.I.X. as the transition) suddenly gave me almost an epiphany in relation to the meanings, moods and order of these songs. Almost 8 months ago, one of my best friends died in a tragic accident. A very sad time followed and I cried for days right after and every now and then. Grief hurts less with time.

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall was released around my graduation from high school. It was a time of happiness but I also had mixed emotions in relation to my friend. One of the things I remember the most clearly about my summer was rocking out feeling pure joy to ETIAW. It made me feel on top and great about celebrating life while still looking back on memories and how I'd gotten through the hardest part (no pun intented).

So hearing Us Against the World, which I wish I could share with him, suddenly felt like hearing my experiences of the time shortly after his death explained completely. "Like a river to a raindrop I lost a friend." It makes my eyes tear, I must admit. Then ETIAW comes on and reminds me that you can "hurt me bad, but still I'll raise the flag."

Sorry, I know this is very long and personal but I felt the need to let it out, because I got a bit down tonight. It made me miss talking to said friend. I turned to Mylo Xyloto for help and found some help to an unexpected degree. I just felt like letting this off my chest and to show gratitude for the amazingness of Coldplay and their music.

To conclude, yes, to start again is an important theme of MX along with don't give up.