✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Song rollout effecting enjoyment?

ysthomas

I think I would be enjoying this album more if I didn't know the majority of the songs. Anybody else feel that way? I'm most enjoying Don't Let It Break Your Heart and Up with the Birds, b/c they're fresh. The albums good, I just think I'd enjoy it more if I went into it fresh...I know that is mostly my fault.

That is what I have been saying. People have these preconceived notions of what songs should sound like based on their live counterparts. But they don't always sound the same live as on the record. For example, the live version of Speed of Sound and White Shadows are dreadful, but the studio versions are amazing.

Another example of a song that gains a ton of life live is In My Place...if people heard that live first, they probably didn't like the studio version as much.

Give the album time and I am sure people will realize how good the studio versions of theses songs are. HLH is amazing on this album. It is like an Arcade Fire song on steroids to me.

yeah, hearing the live versions of alot of these songs first threw me off a bit. I soon recovered, and I had to remind myself I chose to listen to the live versions. Ive listened to the album about 4 times now, and Im really loving the flow of it and the story its telling. Just took some adjustments to it on my part! :D

Yeah it's definitely a good point but it still doesn't solve the overproduction at some times. I've listened to the album quite a few times now and while I'm able to get used to it, the vocal effects on HLH are still really unnecessary as well as other things like this on the album.

That is what I have been saying. People have these preconceived notions of what songs should sound like based on their live counterparts. But they don't always sound the same live as on the record. For example, the live version of Speed of Sound and White Shadows are dreadful, but the studio versions are amazing.

Another example of a song that gains a ton of life live is In My Place...if people heard that live first, they probably didn't like the studio version as much.

Give the album time and I am sure people will realize how good the studio versions of theses songs are. HLH is amazing on this album. It is like an Arcade Fire song on steroids to me.

That.

I think a lot of people will feel the same way about having heard 7/8 of the songs. Look at this way though; it's a risky new direction, it's not exactly going to have crept up on us, we've had all summer to know what's been coming.

Radiohead made that mistake this year of "We're releasing an album next week. And it's not the rock epic you thought. And it's eight tracks long. And if you like one half of the record you'll probably dislike the other, or vice versa". And what do you know, most fans hated it.

During the summer if you'd said this I'd have scoffed and told you to be happy about receiving early previews of the album's tracks.

HOWEVER-

Now that the album has arrived, it would have been nice if they'd included a few B-sides (and I swear if one person mentions car kids while quoting this I will END YOU) it would have been a nicer surprise when listening to MX with a few fresher unheard tracks. Even Up in Flames, was it really necessary to play it at a gig where it was almost certain that somebody would out it on YouTube? or to have released the album version of Major Minus on the ETiaW EP? I think it was kind of them to preview songs from the album to stifle the anticipation among the fans, but they ran riot (glowed in the dark) and played too much.

that's my two cents, so sue me.

During the summer if you'd said this I'd have scoffed and told you to be happy about receiving early previews of the album's tracks.

HOWEVER-

Now that the album has arrived, it would have been nice if they'd included a few B-sides (and I swear if one person mentions car kids while quoting this I will END YOU) it would have been a nicer surprise when listening to MX with a few fresher unheard tracks. Even Up in Flames, was it really necessary to play it at a gig where it was almost certain that somebody would out it on YouTube? or to have released the album version of Major Minus on the ETiaW EP? I think it was kind of them to preview songs from the album to stifle the anticipation among the fans, but they ran riot (glowed in the dark) and played too much.

that's my two cents, so sue me.

How true is this??!! :thumbsup: I agree with you, they should've put some B-sides on MX!!

I think I would be enjoying this album more if I didn't know the majority of the songs. Anybody else feel that way? I'm most enjoying Don't Let It Break Your Heart and Up with the Birds, b/c they're fresh. The albums good, I just think I'd enjoy it more if I went into it fresh...I know that is mostly my fault.

I have the same problem..... The only new songs for me are Up In Flames,DLBYH,UWTB,PoC.So I was actually a little disappointed when I first heard the album. Because half of it I have been singing for the past 4 months. The new album doesn't feel very new anymore. I wish they just played 2 new songs during their live performances.

I'm already hoping for an EP like Prospekt's March that contains a lot of unfinished songs or songs that didn't make it to the album.