✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

WHAT'S THE STORY OF MYLO XYLOTO?

purplemonkeyz232

Lol CAPS LOCK anyone...

Anyways, I think anyone who wants to read into the concept aspect of the album too much (read: make up a story where one doesn't really exist) will be able to come up with something about two people blah blah.

In my mind, there is a minimalist framework for a story, which really isn't any different than the albums most musicians make. Its about two people finding each other, the being in love part never really hits it home though (Chris has said Us Against the World is more for the band, although it reads as the most obvious love song), and then falling apart and maybe making it back together.

That said, that really is all we get. I knew before the album dropped the concept aspect would be as fuzzy as ever. Clear stories are hard to tell on albums anyways, unless someone is really willing to keep to it. And I can't imagine how hard that would be when you consider how hard it is to write music already.

I don't blame the band for it, but a concept album is usually more defined. This one could be any album because most people write music about love and its related themes.

Lol CAPS LOCK anyone...

Anyways, I think anyone who wants to read into the concept aspect of the album too much (read: make up a story where one doesn't really exist) will be able to come up with something about two people blah blah.

In my mind, there is a minimalist framework for a story, which really isn't any different than the albums most musicians make. Its about two people finding each other, the being in love part never really hits it home though (Chris has said Us Against the World is more for the band, although it reads as the most obvious love song), and then falling apart and maybe making it back together.

That said, that really is all we get. I knew before the album dropped the concept aspect would be as fuzzy as ever. Clear stories are hard to tell on albums anyways, unless someone is really willing to keep to it. And I can't imagine how hard that would be when you consider how hard it is to write music already.

I don't blame the band for it, but a concept album is usually more defined. This one could be any album because most people write music about love and its related themes.

This is totally true. A concept album about love is basically every album ever written! (And despite this fact, I still love Mylo!) :P

PS: I had no idea I had caps lock on until just now! Lol!

Track by track here is how I see a loose story:

MX - Overture

Hurts Like Heaven - Intro to male character

Paradise - Intro to female character

Charlie Brown - They run away together

Us Against the World - Song of intimacy and solidarity for the couple

MMIX/Every Teardrop is a Waterfall - Celebration of the good times of the romance

Major Minus - Conflict between the characters

UFO - Reconciliation after conflict but still tinged with alienation and awkwardness

Princess of China - The break up

Up in Flames - Depression at the end

A Hopeful Transmission/Don't Let it Break Your Heart - Coming out of depression and reclamation of self and positivity after the break up

Up with the Birds - Moving on, a little older, a little wiser, the last 3 tracks apply to both characters but separately so that it relates to the listener, male or female

That's the story I get out of Mylo Xyloto