✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What is your religion?

Telepian

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see what all the different religions that come to this forum are? I'm a Mormon. What is your religion?

i've been baptised and did first communion on the christian roman catholic spanish church and that's it. i refused to do confirmation when i was a teeneger because there were and still are things i don't like of the church i'm part of, i mean in political way. when i was a kid i didn't took religion lessons in school until i was 7 because my dad didn't want me to do the first communion, so i guess my mom was more religious, still i'm a spiritual person as in there's something there, as there is bad and there's good, but i tend to believe more in Zeus than other thing. i have no problem in talking with people of different religions or beliefs, i'm respectful to other people opinions, i guess may be is because my family follow other religions different than mine, as mormon and christian orthodox.

that said i don't go to church often, i still have pending the task of read the bible one day aswell as some Saints books, just for the curiousity and because i've been hearing about them a lot in school and uni, and well i guess all depends on every person personal experience which made them gain or lose faith and all that.

that was a bit long reply :wreck:

i've been baptised and did first communion on the christian roman catholic spanish church and that's it. i refused to do confirmation when i was a teeneger because there were and still are things i don't like of the church i'm part of, i mean in political way. when i was a kid i didn't took religion lessons in school until i was 7 because my dad didn't want me to do the first communion, so i guess my mom was more religious, still i'm a spiritual person as in there's something there, as there is bad and there's good, but i tend to believe more in Zeus than other thing. i have no problem in talking with people of different religions or beliefs, i'm respectful to other people opinions, i guess may be is because my family follow other religions different than mine, as mormon and christian orthodox.

that said i don't go to church often, i still have pending the task of read the bible one day aswell as some Saints books, just for the curiousity and because i've been hearing about them a lot in school and uni, and well i guess all depends on every person personal experience which made them gain or lose faith and all that.

that was a bit long reply :wreck:

There's a lot about confirmation that's weird. I know how you feel about that, though maybe not in the same way, because the Methodist church is a little different than the Roman Catholic church. lol. But it felt wrong for some reason, as did baptism for me, so maybe it was just me being weird. o_O

How is that even possible? You're probably confusing some important terms there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity

YES. I'm well aware of the whole explanation that Catholics ARE Christian

I myself used to argue with "protestants" about it when I was Catholic once pointed out to not be a Christian because of my beliefs. I just didn't want to go in speculations because the church I attend now doesn't really have a denomination & I don't like to call it protestant. the pastor grew up baptist so the church is modeled after the southern baptist beliefs but for the most part is very different, I can't call it non denominational because they say that's not exactly right so instead of going in detail... like I just did, I simply said christian .

sorry for the confusion there.

my church: http://www.elevationchurch.org/

http://www.elevationworship.com/freedownload/ //

edit

"BASIC BELIEFS

Elevation Church aggressively reaches out to people who are far from God. Rather than run from culture, we have chosen to harness it to connect with people and show them God's timeless truths. Although our approach is anything but traditional, we believe in and maintain a conservative theological position."

catholic i've been baptised and first communion but never confirmation .

My grandfather was a Jehovah's Witnesses, and I go to this religion . (but I give up something that I was not agree with the religion) not go in school to be studied Catholicism, (my parents wrote to the school for not studied I have 14 years . before studied Catholicism in school ) . so I'm doing studied the history of religions in school more interesting.

I consider myself that I have no religion because I do not belong to a community that dictate laws.

There's a lot about confirmation that's weird. I know how you feel about that, though maybe not in the same way, because the Methodist church is a little different than the Roman Catholic church. lol. But it felt wrong for some reason, as did baptism for me, so maybe it was just me being weird. o_O

i didn't meant for the confirmation act itself, but do it i understand it means i say yes to all whatever the church comes about, and there's internal things i don't like and i reckon are quite controversional. for instance, i don't understand why women aren't allowed to be priestess (when they once were), and i don't buy the 'purity' excuse or whatever. I remember when i suggested that at my Mormon uncle, the whole family looked me like if i were a witch or something :confused: I think religion shall live to the real situation we are, if women are allowed to do the same work as a man does on any professional field, why not the church?

well it calmed down when i knew after the Pope died, that they are allowed to vote on the chose of the new Pope, although they are not ordered 'Cardenal' and aren't present on the meeting, they send their vote through the male representer of their sisterhood. (sorry if my english is not so accurate about that particular subject).

That's just an example i'm giving.

that's why i personally decided not to do it, off course i wasn't going to do it just cause is a must, or for the party and gifts, as many my friends did -also for if they will marry (as in this time women need to be married, or as if marriage today last for ever) to be allowed to do so in a church as the wedding pictures will look nicer- :wtf: .

That said once i went to the church i did the first communion and had the chance to be welcomed by our area Bishop, -he truly walked to where i was and talked briefly with me and so- was such an experience, but that won't make me go do confirmation. should i?

On the other hand i reckon, if i marry and have kids and baptism them, i'd like a friend of mine from high school which today is a priest, to do the events. I shall be honest, i don't think i'll baptism my kids unless both want to, i'd prefer to allow them decide once they are older, as i consider was my case.

Nobody was arguing. We were just talking about our faiths. No arguments here. And there won't be any. Only people politely exchanging opinions in civil ways.

Christians who bash gay people are basically just people trying to represent a loving God and failing miserably.

Bottom line, people choose violence. If gods or whatever do not exist, people are choosing violence. Maybe "in the name of God" or something, but they are not representative of an entire church or group. If the religion itself were evil, I think that probably all followers would act the same way. But they do not. People within a religion choose how they act. Certain religions may dictate certain things, but if one is going to argue against religion, or say it takes away free will, they'd have to accept that all people have free will, and can then choose to act a certain way either against or for that religion.

I really can speak only for Christianity, though.

:uhoh: I agree with Mad Hatter, there's no arguing going on here. People just say what their religion is, they don't try to oppose their opinion/believe onto the others. This thread is not about discussing the use or evilness of religion. No one has to defend him/herself for following a certain religion or disgarding religion.

my church: http://www.elevationchurch.org/

"BASIC BELIEFS

Elevation Church aggressively reaches out to people who are far from God. Rather than run from culture, we have chosen to harness it to connect with people and show them God's timeless truths. Although our approach is anything but traditional, we believe in and maintain a conservative theological position."

:stunned: I'd say indeed that this sounds anything but traditional. Aggressively, seriously? Do they mean the word in its true form or is this a misunderstanding of what aggression means? Don't they mean assertively?

(aggression = behaviour that is intended to cause humiliation, pain, or harm to others/the practice of making attacks or encroachments - especially unprovoked violation by one country of the territorial integrity of another/hostile, injurious, or destructive behavior or outlook especially when caused by frustration/a forceful action to dominate or master others)

people chose free will when they choose a religion (but not in some countries :-/ )

but once inside people are the laws. when people speak "in the name of God" no respect. superiority in front God or the human being is superior to God .

respect is just to be good for us and the people and respect humanity.

and there's commendemands. that's a basic rule, or rule of life to be good in life but the first and most important, and any respect in a religion.

just one example. the Catholic Church, not axept marriage, with other religions.

many religions, no axept the place of the woman beside the man.

all religions handling money, religion and some asking for money.

religions are an institution, just as the state.

but choose a religion is a personal matter and to communicate freely just love and respect. refer first commendemand .

sure I spoke to time believing . I do not like the word sect comes from the word community. makes reference to restriction free spirit.

:stunned: I'd say indeed that this sounds anything but traditional. Aggressively, seriously? Do they mean the word in its true form or is this a misunderstanding of what aggression means? Don't they mean assertively?

(aggression = behaviour that is intended to cause humiliation, pain, or harm to others/the practice of making attacks or encroachments - especially unprovoked violation by one country of the territorial integrity of another/hostile, injurious, or destructive behavior or outlook especially when caused by frustration/a forceful action to dominate or master others)

I think they just mean in full force, they go out of their way to fight for what they believe in. But no..

not in the sense I'm going to pound you if you don't agree with my beliefs.

I am atheist but my religion is Coldplay :D

cool me too and I choose the bands that make good music. I also I think my avatar relieve the minds, amen

it's pretty boring religions and more is dusty who does not speak,

and the people who wants to have right on the religions :(

I think they just mean in full force, they go out of their way to fight for what they believe in. But no..

has great songs your religion Elevation Church :)

on youtube :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lLrrT5Ra38&feature=related]"Kingdom Come" by Elevation Worship - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Voi3JM8ZA]"Give Me Faith" - ELEVATION WORSHIP - YouTube[/ame]

I want to know why you put the word church inside Elevation Church ?

and you think the church is the religions is not important for God and Jesus ?

I never read the bible I just do not interest me sorry :\

but someone could tell me what it means to "the church" in the Bible, I'm not sure is in Corinthiens, Apocalypse ?

is just questions

omg Lory once again I am completely lost in trying to grab what you are trying to say here. Are you asking why she talks about church? Maybe, because she means church :confused: She was just saying that she is part of Elevation Church. And what is that second question about? Are you asking if she thinks that the church is more important than religion or God?

You haven't read the bible but are asking where it mentiones 'church'?:inquisitive: The idea of a church is that people with the same believe/religion can gather. A church is not the same as a religion. Why would you want to see 'church' being mentioned in the bible? A quote coming close to referring church might be:

Hebrews 10:25

"Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

According to the Bible Jesus went to church as well (synagoge in this case :uhoh:)

Yeah, so as I thought. They probably meant assertive. Having the heart in the right place and stand for what you believe in :smug: I like it that they do services in not dull places in not dull ways. Their approach seems to work, they are one of the fastest growing churches and they got a lot of young people in there.