✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[4-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ Emirates Stadium, London, UK

Tash

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2011 was a monumental year for Coldplay. Written off as a tired non-entity they stunned the world at Glastonbury by upstaging U2 and Radiohead in one fell swoop. The performance was heavy on hits, but it was powered by tender moments, pinpoint choruses, and a sense of inclusiveness that Chris Martin has become adept at fostering. A day-glo make over and a number one album later, and a revamped Coldplay are once again the nation’s ubiquitous stadium headliner. Tonight, Chris Martin an co. round off their latest UK tour with a third sold out night at Emirates stadium. Far from cultivating a personal bond with a crowd of thousands, Coldplay 2.0 overawe their audience through sheer abundance. A forced fireworks display and the first of many blast of confetti welcome a band who appear dead set on pandering to an already reverent crowd. At times the glitz and glamour assault proves irresistible. A stadium sized “In My Place” and the seething euphoria of “Paradise” make time stand still as the crowd bellow and bounce in unison. Unfortunately, more often than not, the maximalist bombast is a distraction. Bouncing balloons and lingering confetti strip “The Scientist” of its solemn beauty, while the understated but irrepressible punch of “Yellow” drowns in syrupy smultz and self-adulation. The cruelest fate is reserved for “Violet Hill”. Reworked for the arenas, it is rendered bereft of poignancy as its piercingly intimate finale (“If you love me, won’t you let me know”) is turned into a needy and unnecessary call for applause. The night’s finest moments come when Coldplay strip away their seemingly endless arsenal of gimmicks. “Viva La Vida” stands on it’s own two feet, creating a feeling of gleeful union as the crowd belt out the track’s timeless refrain long beyond its four minute run time. “Warning Sign” circumvents the pomp and circumstance altogether, creating intimacy in even the densest and most distant corners of the Emirates (a trick which “Us Against The World” beautifully recreates during the Simon Pegg assisted encore). For its part the light show is spectacular, and the luminous Mylo Xyloto wristbands leave the crowd speechless during a celebratory airing of “Charlie Brown”. It proves a shrewd piece of misdirection as even this, the most reverent of crowds, is hardly taken by the more transient efforts “Major Minus”, “Princess Of China”, and “Hurts Like Heaven”. Tonight’s show doesn’t have the feel of vintage Coldplay performance. There are no teary eyed lovers, and no one leaves believing Chris Martin was singing to them alone. Instead, Coldplay offer something more synthetic; the warm buzz of a Las Vegas review. The grand ceremony, the luxurious excess, and cosy feeling of crowd pleased, but not moved. It’s impossible to do anything but admire Coldplay’s utilitarian ambition to put smiles on faces, sadly in 2012 it comes at a high cost as poignancy and tranquility are ruefully jettisoned. [thanks David Hayter] http://www.strictlyrandl.com/features/live-review-coldplay-emirates-stadium/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=live-review-coldplay-emirates-stadium

[ame=http://www.flickr.com/photos/andreasbillman/sets/72157629998212511/show/]Coldplay[/ame]

My photos from Coldplay 4th June Emirates.

My friends and I arrived at 11am and we got the barriers front row! It was my sixth concert, first time I ever got front row. I had seen Coldplay at the o2 in December so was worried about it being too similar but no. THAT WAS INCREDIBLE. they really got the crowd into it and the songs were great. Great day

Hi ... does anyone know the tape music list played after Rpbyn and before Coldplay came out? Was about 4-5 songs played none of which I knew except the JayZ track, but were excellent. Anyone know what they were?

Took a group of folks to Emirates on the 4th to see them...from those who were disciples to those who hadn't a clue. Not one went away unimpressed.....how could you? No matter how elitist or abstract your musical tastes are, if you didn't go away from that event with a warm glow, you must be made of stone.

One thing I could not understand (and I never do) is why on earth so many folks would get up half way through a £70 quid+ ticket set of that entertainment value to buy a bundle of burgers and Maltesers! One bloke in our row either hadn't eaten in a week especially to upset the rest of the row or was so hen pecked by the females around him that he must have been up and shuffling a dozen times. Don't get it.

Anyway anyone who can help me with the names/artists/song of the warm-up tape would be greatly appreciated. cheers

My somewhat alternative childhood meant that I didn’t really start listening to music until I was a teenager. When I did, Parachutes was one of the first albums that I bought.

Monday evening was the last evening of the London shows and luckily for us it wasn’t raining. We arrived shortly before Robyn, who was supporting, started. I can’t say that she was particularly good, or in my opinion the best choice to support Coldplay, but hey the rest of the show was good!

The concert, in true Coldplay style, was great and as to be expected everyone continued singing the Paradise chorus well after the encore and Chris Martin and the guys had gone. I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t stuck in my head for the rest of the evening as well.

[thanks Ethna Brave]

http://ethnabrave.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/the-jubilee-weekend-street-parties-rain-beer-and-coldplay/

What a great band and what a great night. Stunning show – loved the blown ‘confetti’, the light up wrist bands and the giant balloons and lasers! thought the music was brilliant. Singing along to Fix You was bloody great and got lots of people quite emotional.

We were standing in front of the stage, not that far back, and that was the place to be I think, though the view from high up in the chairs as that Youtube vid. shows, must have been good, almost as good as looking up at all their wrist bands blinking in the gods.

Human Nature comments:

Considering how many people were there, as the video shows, surprisingly little hassle or bother – two things I noticed. One: although I’m reasonably tall, I’m not over six foot, and I try to think about where I stand. There are a lot of very tall people who don’t mind at all ‘pushing’ their way through the crowd and then stopping, to stand and enjoy the show right in front of the shortest people they can find, without apparently batting an eyelid.

There are a few people wo really don’t care who they spoil the show for, as long as they themselves are having fun. I saw a group of people near me where one of the blokes (very tall too!) was pissed and lurching about all over the place. He displaced an older couple and then kept bashing into a young girl. When a (short!) young man asked him to please be careful of the girl, he was physically attacked. Moron.

My only close encounter was when a very large girl appeared behind me and started bouncing up and down, sobbing wildly and trying to force her way past me (there was nowhere to go, not even for a massively tall person!) After sobbing and bouncing and pressing her hand into my groin! a few times, her friend dragged her away while she whooped like a hyena. Definitely high!

But, them apart it was a brilliant night, and getting out of London was fun, too, though it took a long time. I’m not a royalist really and had no desire to join in the jubiliee parties, but London was a hoot with all the flags and bunting and the people walking through the streets in crowns and flags, all good natured and having fun. It definitely lifted the spirits.

Looking in the bedecked shop windows at telescreens showing the other concert that was on last night, while the crowds drifted past, I didn’t see a single negative incident. The rain held off, the moon was as full as an owl’s eye and I was happy.

[thanks An Experiment in Normality]

http://sonormality.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/coldplay/

Coldplay[/url]

My photos from Coldplay 4th June Emirates.

My friends and I arrived at 11am and we got the barriers front row! It was my sixth concert, first time I ever got front row. I had seen Coldplay at the o2 in December so was worried about it being too similar but no. THAT WAS INCREDIBLE. they really got the crowd into it and the songs were great. Great day

Great pics,what camera is this taken with?

Haha, either that or Jonny's going to be rather surprised himself,lol.

Hey guys, I'm the one that wrote that Coldplay review, and saw a bunch of hits from this site, so thought I'd check it out. My apologies for the mistake - so it was Jonny was sung the "oh yeah" part at the end? I could've sworn it was Guy. I even had my Coldplay 101 Guide in my pocket! I might've been too busy catching confetti though. Cheers

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za49Jm_FnUs&feature=plcp]Coldplay - Us Against The World [London Emirates Stadium] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQrox3FnO6Q&feature=plcp]Jonny Buckland (last part of In My Place) [London Emirates Stadium] - YouTube[/ame]

Hey guys, I'm the one that wrote that Coldplay review, and saw a bunch of hits from this site, so thought I'd check it out. My apologies for the mistake - so it was Jonny was sung the "oh yeah" part at the end? I could've sworn it was Guy. I even had my Coldplay 101 Guide in my pocket! I might've been too busy catching confetti though. Cheers

Haha, no worries.:) It's been Jonny every night since almost the start of the tour, so I'd be surprised if it was Guy last night, but I haven't seen video...

Haha, no worries.:) It's been Jonny every night since almost the start of the tour, so I'd be surprised if it was Guy last night, but I haven't seen video...

ya, i PROBABLY should've checked the video...it's jonny....ha! okay, i'll update it. cheers for catching the mistake. i'm not perfect - my dad was right :(

thanks, super fans! (man, I haven't been on a fan message board in years - used to be on a radiohead one for about 5 yrs. good times!)

BEST YET

AS OTHERS HAVE SAID ACHING IN PARTS I DONT KNOW WHERE! I HAVE SEEN COLDPLAY TWICE AT THE O2,BOTH WERE AMAZING,BUT THE ATMOSPHERE LAST NIGHT I'VE NEVER EXPERIENCED BEFORE 60.000 FANS MOULDED INTO ONE.IT WAS CLEAR FROM THE START THEY WERE GOING TO HIT THE GROUND RUNNING,INVITE US ALONG AND NEVER LET UP.THEY TOTALLY LIT UP LONDON,AND DOUBLESS COULD HAVE FILLED AND LIT UP 3 MORE STADIUMS.A HUGE THANK YOU TO THE BAND,THEY ALWAYS GIVE 150 % I GET QUITE EMOTIONAL SOMETIMES JUST THINKING ABOUT THEM-BUT THAT'S BECAUSE THEY WORK SO HARD,ARE SO MODEST,AND YET ARE THE BEST BAND ON THIS EARTH MY MILES.A PERFECT NIGHT,BLESS YOU COLDPLAY AMAZED AND EXCITED AGAIN.

LOL. It's fine. Most of us here are diehards and have the current shows and set lists and everything that happens somewhat memorized. Jonny plays guitar(s) and Guy plays bass. Guy is the one Chris most often refers to as "the handsome one." Glad you enjoyed the show.

Hi!

I just came home from London.

I went to the gig on Saturday but then decided to try also on Monday.

I was trying to buy the ticket at the stadium but it seemed impossible at first, there were only touts selling for horrible prices. They were like rats running around trying to buy from people and sell expensively. I was getting desperate but then an Irish guy came to me and asked if I want a ticket. He wanted even less than the face value but I paid him the face value of course.

If he's on the board, thank you so much again!

It was quite late when I got inside, so I decided to go to the same spot as I had on Saturday, which was right at the C-stage.

I think it was better to be so close at least for the two songs than to be somewhere in the middle of the stadium for the whole show.

The show was amazing, it felt a bit different than on Sat. also because of the weather. It seemed like there were much more people, at least where I was standing. On Sat. there was a lot of space to jump and dance and on Mon. I could hardly move. But the energy was fantastic.

I don't have any good pictures so won't bother you with the few I took.

I'll upload them later and put in my sig.

Thanks everyone for pictures and videos!

RITA CRAP

@BRCarter89

Sun setting over the Emirates now. Beautful. Best stadium in the prem? 2nd in England to Wembley? #Emirates #Coldplay

@bugsss1

Choosing robyn as a support act was clever for Coldplay as it makes you more and more desperate for actual music. #coldplay #coldplayfilm

@ptarverjones

Wow! #luckyfamily #coldplay

https://p.twimg.com/AukWk2uCAAAJJuX.jpg

AukWk2uCAAAJJuX.jpg

RITA ORA WAS EVEN WORSE-PARTY/BULLSHIT,GIVE UP NOW BEFORE YOU HUMILIATE YOURSELF EVEN MORE!BUT THEN WE HAD REAL QUALITY-THE BEST IN THE WORLD KIND,

APPRECIATE THEM

Thanks mate :)

Pegg was diabolical, I just want to forget him, and feel so sorry for people who didn't get a proper version of Speed of Sound like we did on Saturday :( No-one from club level up seemed to recognise him anyway, so I really don't get the point. Anyway, I'll shut up about this now! While it certainly wasn't the high point, I need to focus on the rest of the gig which was, as usual, tremendous :)

FOR GOD SAKE HE'S ONE OF COLDPLAYS OLDEST FRIENDS-OK WASN'T THE NORMAL EXCELLENT VERSION,BUT IT WAS FUN,SHOWS YOUR LOYALTY TO THE BAND...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi ... does anyone know the tape music list played after Rpbyn and before Coldplay came out? Was about 4-5 songs played none of which I knew except the JayZ track, but were excellent. Anyone know what they were?

Before 99 problems they usually play "How do I know" by Here We Go Magic.

That's all I know :).