✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[4-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ Emirates Stadium, London, UK

Tash

One of the best nights of my life.

I have to say a massive thank you to Coldplay...last night was incredible and one of the best nights of my life.

I have pictures but can someone tell me how to upload them?:confused:

Thank you!:smug:

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoyed what I saw but an hour and 19 mins for £200, 6 songs short of Fridays and Saturdays set list and everyone on this forum is happy?? I want 30% of my hard earned back for the 30% of the gig that was cut short.

Enjoyed what I saw but an hour and 19 mins for £200, 6 songs short of Fridays and Saturdays set list and everyone on this forum is happy?? I want 30% of my hard earned back for the 30% of the gig that was cut short.

What was short? Setlist? It was all the same for 3 London shows.

Me and my friend shouted ''WE LOVE YOU CHRIS'' and everyone around us cheered and I think he smiled too!!

Was that you? :D I have a video of that moment, it was during Warning Sign right? He gave a huge smile to you :nice: I'll upload it tonight.

What? Did you leave early? They play the same set list every night.

You obviously left after Paradise - missed out on the C-Stage Performance

and Encore.As other Coldplayers posted, they played the same setlist for their 3 london shows,

so the gig was'nt cut by 30%.

awwwwwwwwwww :D

Auj0i0XCAAA_zz-.jpg

@Kayleidogyn

@coldplay I cannot express my heartfelt thanks enough for Chris Martin visiting my son, Kobe, in @GreatOrmondSt today.

Special K ‏@Kayleidogyn

@SamAtRedmag Totally!!! What a gent!! He brought a bag with book, CD, DVDs, iPod & iTunes voucher!!! I was gobsmacked!!

Chris Martin is such a sweetheart :)

First live Coldplay show and damn it was fantastic! Us Against The World with Will singing the end was really nice, as was Simon Pegg's bit, which filled up the band's walk back to the main stage. The highlight for me, weirdly, was In My Place. I like the song but I was expecting Charlie Brown or something to be my favourite song live. In My Place did it for me though ;) especially with the confetti during the chorus, got some great pics. :D

^^:nod: :wacky:

Thanks for all reviews/pics/videos once again and special thanks to everyone doing the Twitter updates (also in the other live threads). Must have been a long night. :)

@kreukel Backstage at Coldplay, I fell down the stairs and sprained my ankle :( Going back to front row in a bit though!

@kreukel Miller keeps walking by, we said hi and he smiled at us :)

Wait is this Tash? She sprained her ankle? :sad:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JODpwrDY4MU]Coldplay - Princess of China [London Emirates Stadium] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTpZ6RneIzo]Coldplay - Speed of Sound & Simon Pegg [London Emirates Stadium] - YouTube[/ame]

Coldplay played a slew of shows at the O2 Arena in London just 6 months ago, but that didn’t stop them from easily fitting 50,000+ fans in the Emirates in North London for three shows this week. For those fans of the Queen, you had a dilemma on your hands last night, as the Diamond Jubilee concert with Paul McCartney, Elton John and other no names played a show to hundreds of thousands of fans outside Buckingham Palace. Now I’m not saying I chose Coldplay over a former Beatle and a once in a lifetime event – the Diamond Jubilee concert wasn’t announced until after I’d purchased my tickets.

DSCF6771.jpg

One of the more anticipated events of the concert was the Xylobands, the glow in the dark flashing wristband that all concert attendees received. The bands are radio-controlled and cannot be reactivated (or so they think!) once you leave the show, so I am planning to never leave the stadium. Chris Martin said that the Xylobands are costing the band too much money, and they thought about having fans return them but it was deemed unsanitary (by officials, not the band). For a band that I consider to be very fun and fan-friendly, I find that a bit of a surprising statement; that he wants to detract from the fan experience and take away a memento.

Anyway, the wristbands were pretty cool. They glowed for the first 2 songs and then disappeared until the sunset. The crowd seemed to love them, and they really did make an amazing spectacle. Coldplay are known for their elaborate stage shows, often having yellow inflatable balls descending on the crowd (no bonus points if you guess which song this happens in), or huge confetti parties. Monday night’s show was no different.

The show kicked off with Hurts Like Heaven, and as far as puns go, it started with a bang, too – fireworks shot into the sky, immediately winning the crowd over. The fireworks seemed to match the wristbands in colour, and the wristbands started flashing as soon as the song began.

The band then launched into megahit (which is used to describe 90% of their catalogue) In My Place, and now we had confetti shooting out of cannons. For those who complain that rock bands just play in front of video screens and lack a proper show, you have not seen a Coldplay show. Singer Chris Martin sung the last few lines from his knees, leaning against Guy Berryman holding the mic up for him to sign the last word of the song, somewhat to his surprise.

Chris pandered to the audience for the first of many times, applying that charm and wit that he exudes in concerts. “Thanks for giving us your Jubilee Monday. This is our third show in London – the last 2 nights were rehearsal for tonight.” Cue the applause!

The upbeat Major Minus off of Mylo Xyloto was up next, followed by Lovers in Japan. The party at the crowd hit an early high, as large, inflatable balls with paint blotches on them made their way through the crowd. Confetti continued to be blasted into the crowd. Virtually no one was watching the stage – Chris Martin could’ve been naked and I’d be none the wiser.

DSCF6748.jpg

Arguably Coldplay’s best song, and my personal favourite of theirs, The Scientist followed the confetti party. In my opinion, this was slightly bad sequencing, going from a party atmosphere to a slower song about a breakup. However, the crowd LOVES to sing the “nobody said it was easy” part, which might have been the loudest refrain sung the entire night. Martin changed the end of the song, trying to milk the crowd sign alongs, adding some “nobody said it was easy” call and response parts, which didn’t quite fit. After the song, Martin joked “I don’t care what Lady Gaga says, we have the best fans in the world.” Cue the applause!

The hit parade continued with Yellow, with Martin starting the song off on piano instead of guitar, and signing it in a slightly deeper voice. When launching into Violet Hill, Martin was laughing slightly, and the singing throughout the song wasn’t as strong as the studio version. Martin played to the crowd once again, asking if they could hear him in various parts of the stadium, earning cheers from everyone.

Another different arrangement started off God Put a Smile Upon Your Face. It was a slow, acoustic intro, with only Martin playing before the full band eventually joined. He also did some ad lib, saying “all the boys make some noise.” Somewhat surprisingly, Martin threw his guitar over the back of the stage when the song finished, but the slow motion replay on the screens indicated this was (of course) a calculated move. And for a minute, I thought Chris Martin grew some balls!

Up next was Princess of China featuring Rihanna. I honestly expected louder cheers – the crowd wasn’t huge into it. Martin sung a bit lower than on the album. You’re wondering if Rihanna made an appearance for her duet with Chris Martin on the song. If Martin thought the wristbands were expensive, having Rihanna in tow would be ludicrous – she appeared in pre-recorded video form.

Up in Flames followed, and was a slower song from Mylo Xyloto and seemed to lose the crowd. Warning Sign had a slowed introduction, with Chris on the piano, and the band only joining for the chorus.

Don’t Let It Break Your Heart was next, and to my surprise, the crowd loved it. It was upbeat, so that might have been part of the reason, but I was surprised that this non-catchy, average song from Mylo Xyloto had that much of a positive reaction. Moreso than new single (and a guilty pleasure of mine) Princess of China.

One thing about Coldplay is they always seem to be having a lot of fun doing what they are doing. Viva la Vida showed this, as Martin ran around the stage, hugging and bumping the band members, as they played. Some were surprised, but everyone smiled and kept on playing. I’ve read this critique before about the band, but attending a concert, you really notice that a lot of their songs have “oooohs” and “wooooaahhhhs”. Interestingly, the crowd seems to have adopted to “wooahh ooo ooo ooooooo” from Viva La Vida as some sort of unofficial Coldplay cheer, singing it before the encore to call the band back on stage, and even in the streets after the concert.

It was now an hour into the band’s set. The sky had finally darkened. Cue Charlie Brown, a song which has the line “we’ll run wild, we’ll be glowing in the dark.” This meant it was time for US to glow in the dark, and the Xylobands (which had been off since the second song) to come back on. And man, did it look beautiful. The lights also flashed at different speeds, or were temporarily on and not flashing. The bands had colours such as blue, green, yellow, and looked great across 50,000 waving and jumping people. Interesting that a band has to plan a set list based on the sunset.

Someone must really like Paradise and the elephants in the video for it, as evidenced by the costume below. I also think Chris Martin might’ve started off the song by mumbling “that shit cray” but I’m not entirely sure. As he has done several times tonight, Martin sort of forced a crowd sing along, noting “We’ll sing one chorus together” after the song had basically wrapped up. This concluded the regular set.

DSCF6704.jpg

The encore started with Martin appearing on a side stage at the back of the arena on the pitch. As he launched into Us Against the World, the other band members – drummer Will Champion, bass player Guy Berryman, and guitarist Jonny Buckland – all joined Martin one by one. At the end of the song, Martin introduced comedic actor, Simon Pegg. What?! Sure, the Diamond Jubilee concert might’ve had Sir Paul McCartney and Sir Elton John, but we got Simon Pegg – we win!

Simon played harmonica on the next song, Speed of Sound. As the band slyly made their way back to the main stage, Simon Pegg milked a harmonica solo. And with that, he was gone. He didn’t even plug his new movie, so I will – A Fantastic Fear of Everything is out on June 8. I expect my free tickets in the post, Simon!

Over-rated crowd favourite Clocks was next, with Martin singing a bit of Adele, slipping in the largely unnoticed lines of “we could’ve had it all, rolling in the deep”.

Those of you who weren’t miles away or could at least see 1 of the 5 circular video screens would’ve noticed that Will Champion had a pink breast cancer ribbon on his right shoulder. As Martin introduced Fix You, he noted that they are going to play this song for Sara Champion. Sara is Will’s mother who passed away from cancer in 2000, and the album Parachutes is dedicated to her. The big building crescendo of the emotional song brought out more colourful fireworks.

DSCF6790.jpg

Martin noted that we would get “1 last song before we disappear from London for years and years.” That last song was Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall, which once again featured some call and response with the crowd. The crowd definitely enjoyed this last song.

One thing you’ve got to admire about the band is they sure stick with their album themes, from cover art right through to concert attire and backdrops. Viva La Vida was revolutionary themed and had Sgt. Pepper-esque costumes. This album is about graffiti and some neon colours, with Chris Martin even having some paint on his hand and a few dabs on his face when he performed.

The only thing missing from the 1 hour and 45 minute set was Politik. Not only is it a great song, but it is during this song that Martin is at his most clever and playful, often ad libbing comments about the city or venue or something else relevant. Other than that, Coldplay and their concert experience was very memorable, visually appealing, sensory overload, with plenty of sing along opportunities. Definitely one that will be remembered for ages.

For more concert reviews, music news, and general awesomeness a) “follow PeteHatesMusic on Twitter” and b) “Like PeteHatesMusic on Facebook“, and be the coolest person on your street (note: this is only guaranteed if you are the only person on your street).

PHM Rating: 9.0 out of 10

http://www.petehatesmusic.com/2012/06/05/concert-review-coldplay-emirates-stadium-london-england-with-setlist/

I'm not one for big gigs. The smaller, the more intimate, the better. The upstairs room of a pub is probably my most favourite venue. So booking tickets for Coldplay, who don't do small, at the vast Emirates Stadium seemed quite scary and alien for me. I love Coldplay, but know many who don't. They are, I think, the band who people feel they should dislike. Too middle of the road, too precious, too perfect, too Gwyneth! But the truth is they have written so many incredible and diverse pop songs; Fix You, Amsterdam, Everything's not Lost and the more recent Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, just to name a few. We, and thousands of others, arrive at the Emirates to organised and polite queues, waiting at each entry gate. On entry, we are give a Xyloband, and there on the huge stage, watched over by 5 five vast circular screens - we are given the following instructions. Loosen wristband, place on wrist, tighten wristband, enjoy the show. We sit through a very poor five song set by Rita Ora and then a very bizarre but entertaining set by Robyn. Finally at 8.50pm Coldplay burst on to the stage with Hurts Like Heaven. Accompanied by the deafenening cheers of 50,000 people, fireworks, flouresent paper cut confetti - MASSES of it raning down - and our activated wrist bands flashing like crazy! It was spellbinding, exhilirating, mesmerising and most of all laugh inducing! Chris Martin is a ball of energy. His quips, his pacing, dancing, running, playing, cajoling, all whipping us into a frenzy of adoration. An hour and a half later, he's still going strong. Playing a small set at the back of the stadium accompanied by Simon Pegg on harmonica which left Chris Martin giggling uncontrollably into his mike. Every Coldplay song is sung at full belt by the crowd. The impact this has on the band is palpable, and of course makes them want to perform even more, even better. The gig finished with a stomping rendition of Every Teardrop. More fireworks, more flashing wristbands like fireflies dashing around the arena, and an exhausted, super sweaty Chris Martin kissing the stage. Really an incredible night that brought on two hours of non stop smiling, singing and awe and led my daughter to say 'That is the best thing I have ever done'. Even if you're a non believer, I'd urge you to see Coldplay live. They are amazing musicians, and certainly know how to do 'the greatest show on earth'. [thanks Anne-Marie] http://madeuk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/coldplay-at-emirates-stadium-040612.html

Went to my first every Coldplay show las night,

Aboslutely, brilliantly amazing!!!!

No one can do it better and there is no one better, just brilliant.

Also got my xyloband working lol

Wanted it to go n longer as well, also not familiar with all songs but everyone has there favourites and preferences.

And very good stadium facilities to compliment it

Want to go again!!!!!

Me and my friend shouted ''WE LOVE YOU CHRIS'' and everyone around us cheered and I think he smiled too!!

Here you are :nice:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qt6qXcbEPA]Coldplay - Warning Sign [London Emirates Stadium] - YouTube[/ame]

Unfortunetely his smile can't be seen owing to the light..

Coldplay are a band that are not really my bag, but who come up with the occasional song that I really like. I decided to get tickets to see the band on the Mylo Xyloto tour partly out of curiosity and partly on a gamble that a girl I had seen a couple of times might want to go. Unfortunately things with the girl didn't go past a few dates, but that's a whole other story! :)

Clashing with the Queen's Diamond Jubilee made the tube journey from Osterley across to Arsenal a bit of a nightmare as it was completely packed the whole way. I fed myself outside, knowing from experience how overpriced food is at the Arsenal ground and then I managed to get a reasonable price for the spare ticket outside the stadium The show was stunning! Yes I would prefer to be in a smaller sweaty venue watching alternative guitar songs, but credit where credit is due. The band bashed out hit after hit to an enthusiastic audience who knew the words to all the songs. Highlights for me were Fix You and Viva La Vida. The multi-stage set idea worked well, the oval video screens were impressive and the band came up with a nifty wrist band idea which lit up the stadium brilliantly in the dark. Giant inflatable balloons and ticker tape meant there was never a dull moment.

http://tim-allthingsmusicandme.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/coldplay-emirates-stadium-4th-june-2012.html

Rita Ora and Robyn both seem strange choices for support acts, but Jayz’s Roc Nation’s new darling Rita Ora’s set is punchy and energetic. It’s obvious the 21 year old London-born blonde can sing despite the heavy backing track. She does rock up her number one singles ‘Hot Right Now’ and ‘RIP’ to make the non-dance orientated fans in the audience more interested.

Robyn’s set isn’t quite as enjoyable. The Swedish blonde shrieks over a heavy bass that makes the metal frame of the stadium rattle uncomfortably. The lyrics get lost in the drums and Robyn’s psychotic dancing makes the general set awkward. ‘Call your girlfriend’ is the only song that comes across as anything other than a pixie shrieking. I was just waiting for Jedward to appear and join in the dancing routine.

Coldplay are a different story…

Setting the tone for the evening opening with ‘Hurts Like Heaven’ together with added pyrotechnics and confetti, the visual onslaught doesn’t stop as neon balls dance across the crowd, and the radio operated wristbands given to the audience start to light up in time to the music. The wristsbands, which they debuted at the Brit awards, are a simple concept but connect the audience and lifts the atmosphere out of the everyday, and into ‘lifetime experience’.

After the first fifteen minutes it’s hard to know how they will keep this atmosphere alive for the next two hours. Don’t worry, they can.

Coldplay are one of those ‘event’ bands that can play a rousing rock anthem that will get the crowd singing and confetti flying, and then change the mood with stripped back acoustic beauty. ‘In my Place’ and ‘Yellow’ are songs you think could become lost inside a big stadium, but Coldplay make them sound intimate and moving, and to me, more moving so than on record.

For me though stompers like ‘Violet Hill’ and ‘Viva La Vida’ are the ones that leave the lasting memory and the band give it their all, especially Chris Martin. No matter how much he runs, jumps and sweats, his vocals are spot on, and is visually moved from the audience love beamed back to the band from the adoring crowd.

The one blip is Rihanna’s cameo on the backdrop video for ‘Princess of China’, is slightly disjointed and the backing track doesn’t work with the rawness of the rest of the show, but asking for perfection is a bit much.

For the encore they set up stage in the centre of the floor, among the crowd to sing ‘Us Against The World’ and ‘Speed of Sound’. As a nod to the heavy rain that tries (but fails), to dampen the evening, they also drop a verse of ‘Singing In The Rain’ into the mix.

Ending the show with the emotional ‘Fix You’, but leaving us on a happier note with ‘Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall’, collapsed to the ground by the last note Chris Martin is physically and emotionally drained. Coldplay live is not just an experience for the ears but a spectacle for the eyes, a bath of music and colour. It seems fitting to have these British musical monsters playing throughout Jubilee weekend.

http://www.flushthefashion.com/music/live-review-coldplay-emirates-stadium/

Coldplay played a slew of shows at the O2 Arena in London just 6 months ago, but that didn’t stop them from easily fitting 50,000+ fans in the Emirates in North London for three shows this week. For those fans of the Queen, you had a dilemma on your hands last night, as the Diamond Jubilee concert with Paul McCartney, Elton John and other no names played a show to hundreds of thousands of fans outside Buckingham Palace. Now I’m not saying I chose Coldplay over a former Beatle and a once in a lifetime event – the Diamond Jubilee concert wasn’t announced until after I’d purchased my tickets.

-----

The band then launched into megahit (which is used to describe 90% of their catalogue) In My Place, and now we had confetti shooting out of cannons. For those who complain that rock bands just play in front of video screens and lack a proper show, you have not seen a Coldplay show. Singer Chris Martin sung the last few lines from his knees, leaning against Guy Berryman holding the mic up for him to sign the last word of the song, somewhat to his surprise.

-------

For more concert reviews, music news, and general awesomeness a) “follow PeteHatesMusic on Twitter” and b) “Like PeteHatesMusic on Facebook“, and be the coolest person on your street (note: this is only guaranteed if you are the only person on your street).

PHM Rating: 9.0 out of 10

http://www.petehatesmusic.com/2012/06/05/concert-review-coldplay-emirates-stadium-london-england-with-setlist/

Um, what??? LOL Has GUY ever sang the last bit of IMP? LOL Dude, get your band members straight.

What was short? Setlist? It was all the same for 3 London shows.

Was that you? :D I have a video of that moment, it was during Warning Sign right? He gave a huge smile to you :nice: I'll upload it tonight.

Please upload it and reply the link to me :D WOO! <3