✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[4-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ Emirates Stadium, London, UK

Tash

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the gig - I probably didn't enjoy it as much as the O2 in December, but I think part of the reason for that is because that was my first Coldplay gig ever. I prefer this new setlist by a long way, particularly Warning Sign; separates the men from the boys in terms of who's a proper fan and knows the words :cool:

I was, unfortunately, surrounded by quite a few people who wouldn't sing at all, not even for the biggest hits (bar Fix You and Paradise) - surprising given that we weren't very far back (about level with the X-Stage). Still, me and my friend were in the mood and singing nonetheless, and it was great to see the people in the top tier of seating singing and dancing as much, if not more, than the people standing. It's a great testimony to the quality of the live performance and the dedication of the fans (Chris made a point of saying we're better than Lady Gaga's fans :lol: ) that everyone in the place was feeling electric.

The obvious talking point was Simon Pegg coming on during Speed Of Sound. Couldn't stop laughing when it happened, if I'd had seen his tweet before the concert then I probably would've guessed, but it was great surprise nonetheless.

All in all, it was a great night, and the Xyloband and the fireworks in particular were spectacular, helping to further give weight to the argument that the boys are the best live act around :)

I just got back to my parents from the gig, wow is all I can say and no, there were no mess ups, planned or otherwise. I also went on Friday and when I get my breath back I will write a little review.

I can honestly say. in 10 years of seeing this band, I don't know how they can possibly get any better!

Just rolled in, cracked open a cold IPA, sat back and had a reflective ciggie on the balcony, and am gathering my thoughts for my review...

Just to reply to a few things on this page first (haven't had time to look back at the other pages yet):

Apart from that being pretty funny, isn't it hard to... survive in this thing? IN A FREAKING COLDPLAY GIG? :lol:

He was round the back of the gig, there was loads of room. I felt more sorry for the guy in the (very tight :stunned:) pink panther costume on Saturday stuck out in the rain!

OMG, they played SoS for the first time in AGES :shocked2:

Y I'M NOT THEEEEEEEEEEERE?

Um, they played it three nights ago and two nights ago too :laugh3:

I get the novelty value of Simon Pegg but as I'm not a fan it doesn't do anything for me. And he absolutely KILLED Speed of Sound with his dreadful, dreadful harmonica. I know he can play it - I've seen him join the band before. But he was utterly awful trying to play along with this, and trashed the song imo :veryangry2:

A question, did they have to restart any of the songs due to a pre-planned "mess-up"?

No, I think it's the first time I've seen them there wasn't an 'accidental' mess up :laugh3:

I just got back to my parents from the gig, wow is all I can say and no, there were no mess ups, planned or otherwise. I also went on Friday and when I get my breath back I will write a little review.

I can honestly say. in 10 years of seeing this band, I don't know how they can possibly get any better!

So glad you had a great time - we did too!! :dance:

Just a quick side-note - my only disappointment was that Chris didn't sing anything in the intro to Fix You! Obviously he couldn't do Singing In The Rain tonight since it was clear skies, but he's got so many he's used before. Perhaps they needed a proper version for the film...

Just a quick side-note - my only disappointment was that Chris didn't sing anything in the intro to Fix You! Obviously he couldn't do Singing In The Rain tonight since it was clear skies, but he's got so many he's used before. Perhaps they needed a proper version for the film...

He didnt do an intro at the Ricoh either and I was so look forward to it, but it was clear skies then too. I wanted him to do 'what a wonderful world' love that version he does. When I found out he did an intro at the emirates i was like 'ahhhhh! so unfair' :P lol

All the pictures from the show look amazing

He didnt do an intro at the Ricoh either and I was so look forward to it, but it was clear skies then too. I wanted him to do 'what a wonderful world' love that version he does. When I found out he did an intro at the emirates i was like 'ahhhhh! so unfair' :P lol

At the O2 in December he did Rehab too, so there were definitely options. Still, he sneaked in a line from Rolling In The Deep during Clocks, perhaps as a cheeky reference to Adele being in the crowd :)

Just got in, absolutely shattered and with a bit of a croaky voice from screaming and singing along so much and so loud. Feet are killing me and I've gotta get up and go to work tomorrow, but you know what? - none of that even matters, because I have just attended one of THE best gigs of my whole life, no kidding. The whole band were on top form tonight. One of the best moments for me was Charlie Brown and Paradise - by the time these songs were played it was really dark so when the xylobands were switched on you really got the full effect of them which you didn't earlier on in the show cos it was still too light. Now I've seen them in action before when Coldplay performed Charlie Brown on the X Factor and even then I thought "wow," but to see them all light up and dancing to the beat of the music in perfect harmony, all 58,000 of them, is just something else - maybe it's cos I'm knackered and my head's still buzzing, but I just can't find words good enough to do justice to just how magnificent and completely magical that experience, that sight, was. It was truly one of the most beautiful things i've ever witnessed in my life. Aside from that though, another highlight for me was definitely Viva La Vida - I'd waited so long to take part in a mass singalong of the Viva chant again and boy was it worth the wait!! I was also very happy to hear Lovers in Japan again, and A Warning Sign was a very tender moment, as was Us Against the World. I was also delighted when they joined on stage, on harmonica, by the wonderful Simon Pegg for Speed of Sound (which in itself I was pleased to hear again anyway)! I hadn't heard about it beforehand so it was a lovely surprise, and actually the second time I'd seen him perform with them, the first being at the O2 arena a few years ago. I could probably continue and write loads more but I'm too tired to think any more! So I'll have to just leave you with that until I can post some of my pics and videos. Gonna try and get some sleep now, with my xyloband still on my wrist. :nice: :heart:

EDITING TO SAY: Just gone back a few pages to look at the pics/comments etc and OMG, I'm totally welling up at all the amazing pics of all the xylobands all lit up across the stadium, having just had the honour of witnessing it first hand just a couple of hours ago, I think I'm dying here. :wacky:

/emotional wreck

Just got back from this gig a little while ago.. Coldplay were immense! Was stuck in club level with a bunch of people who didnt want to stand or sing, so the atmosphere in my section wasn't great.. on the plus, Gwyneth, Apple and Moses were sat directly above me, and Gwyneth was LOVING every minute of it.. the kids on the other hand looked extremely bored haha..!

So...

Home, home again, I like to be here when I can ;)

It's very, very early to be writing any sort of review, as I haven't had time to reflect, so here are a few (no doubt garbled and ill-organised) thoughts :laugh3:

I'll edit this now to put it in spoiler tags. It is loooooooooooooooooooooooooong, and very self-indulgent. You have been warned! :)

Firstly the background to my evening was that I was up all night last night very very sick, and had a migraine during the gig, so that didn't help things and although we had an amazing night and ROCKED hard all night, singing and dancing non-stop (as ever!) I'm sure it took a bit of the shine off...

It is also hard to come back to the same gig and setlist two days later and enjoy it in the same way.

Secondly I wrote probably my most glowing review of the band ever (on here) after Saturday's show (http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5314448&postcount=432). After that, I got to thinking why songs I don't particularly like from this new era that I didn't enjoy at the 02 in December were suddenly really good and amazing fun here (Up In Flames, Paradise and this time DLIBYH). And the answer's so obvious - it's the set-up and the pyrotechnics. Indoors at the 02 they didn't have most of the stuff they need to 'support' these songs (hell, they didn't even have screens for those further back, or the running man etc). Paradise will never be a top-tier song, but it is good (and was fantastic tonight!) but most of the MX stuff, for me, doesn't hold up without the effects. It's X-Factor generation pop, and it relies on all the tricks and gimmicks imo to make it work. That's the difference between this album and the rest of them (for me). Heard the Lovers in Japan acoustic? Speed of Sound? Yellow? Lost? Hardest Part? I could go on here but I won't - there is no way in the world they'll be playing anything acoustic of MX in the future I don't think, musically it's just not up to their previous work. (MX rant over :laugh3:)

We were in club level seats tonight (the very small tier just above the GA seats) and it made a huge difference. We had nice lounges, decent bars with no queues, luxury toilets - they even sold decent food unlike the warmed up cardboard you get downstairs. The staff again, while in some cases exceptionally polite and helpful, were very poor at actually organising anything, or even knowing basic things like where the exits were. Enough of that.

The other big thing I noticed was that, by just being 30 feet higher than on Saturday, but in the very same area, the effect of the lasers didn't carry to that height AT ALL. You just didn't see them up there. Odd that they've designed the show seemingly with all the focus on the floor and all the seated (more expensive) tickets don't get them. Oh well, I had my eyes closed singing and dancing half the time anyway so no problem :)

The sky was crystal clear tonight and what a difference! It didn't really get dark until 9:50! This made a huge impact on the visual side of things and obviously with the importance of the special effects that a lot of that was lost.

On Saturday everything was new and sparkling fresh for me, but I was able to be a bit more objective tonight. I said before that the set was too short, and that was what really struck me tonight - it needs two more songs (more would be even better but this is Coldplay, there are very strict rations available as we all know!!). 1hr35 is too short when for at least ten minutes of that they are not playing. I thought they'd drop Politik back in after two nights getting comfortable with the new set, and after a day off, but no...:cry: In a large way this is a huge compliment to the band - everyone was screaming for more, and I know they prefer to quit while they're ahead, but it really did feel very short.

Another thing from the view higher up - the GA standing were very very 'flat' compared to Saturday. They hardly seemed to be dancing, there was no kinetic energy coming from there (lots of noise though) while all around in the seated tickets people were going nuts!!

The other thing missing from Saturday was the rain (not for people standing though I'm sure!) It added so much atmosphere and the interplay with the lighting was just a wonder to behold, I think that added a huge amount to that gig which we didn't have tonight. Until the band get a rain machine to go with the fireworks not much can be done there methinks :laugh3:

Another difference was the sound. Maybe it was where we were 'seated' but it didn't sound as good and there were a couple of songs I was sure Chris' earpiece thing (whatever it's called) wasn't working because he was almost half a bar behind the music with his singing. Just a minor thing :)

What else? Oh yes! LOTS more balloons today, they lasted for ages beyond the sublime Lovers in Japan, and one or two even made it up to the top tier!

At this point I must mention that LiJ was storming and why it was ever dropped is a complete mystery to me, the crowd went berserk for it. Chris changed the words again to something I couldn't make out. As an Osaka-jin (man of Osaka) after my five years living there that always makes me a bit sad...

Princess of China was, again, an absolute triumph for me. A completely unique flavour in the set, and a really powerful song to boot. Splendid :dance:

Warning Sign - stunningly beautiful. I have been to almost twenty gigs (sounds better than 'eighteen' right?! :laugh3:) over nine years now and before this weekend only heard it ONCE at Crystal Palace. I still miss the original version, with that hauntingly-beautiful guitar from Jonny at the end (a la Glastonbury 2005) but just feel blessed to have heard it - and twice in three days!! My worry is that they'll drop it because the crowd on the whole didn't give it the reception it deserved, whereas for those 'in the know' it's probably one of the finest moments of the night. COLDPLAY IF YOU HADN'T GIVEN UP PLAYING THIS FAR TOO MANY YEARS AGO THEN EVERYONE WOULD KNOW IT BY HEART NOW BECAUSE IT'S ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SONGS EVER WRITTEN, AND YOU OWE IT TO THE LONG-TERM FANS AROUND THE WORLD TO KEEP PLAYING IT :angry: At the same time, thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOO much for playing it every night at the Emirates :kiss: :D

I can't think of much else that happened really. Oh...bloody Simon Pegg. Completely ruined the beautiful, gorgeous version of Speed of Sound they played on Saturday. The C-stage is such a great idea, but they often ruin it a bit somehow. If it's not a completely unnecessary and boring version of Billie Jean or something else it's always Simon bloody Pegg (in London anyway). The guy can play harmonica, I've seen him join them before, but he got this awfully wrong - Chris was cracking up at how wrong he was playing, lost his place himself, and (for me) the whole song was ruined. A thing of absolute beauty and delicacy on Saturday became a bit of a joke and a 'Simon Pegg show' tonight...a real shame.

Not a single setlist change for three nights running was a bit poor, really.

Overall though, as almost always, a fantastic night!! :dance: We rocked the club level, and sang and danced our hearts out. It was great to have a very different perspective on the show. I think they still haven't quite nailed it for an entire stadium. On Saturday we were near the floor, but just one level further up today and a whole heap of the show was lost. To be fair, I only knew what I was missing with the lasers etc because I'd been further down on Saturday, but still.

An incredible night though again. I am very sad indeed to think it may be a VERY long time before they play London again :cry: (And someone please tell Simon Pegg to move to LA :laugh3:).

Sorry for the waffle but I'm sure (at least I hope) that one or two people enjoy reading my thoughts, or at least get something from it.

Cheers!!!

Enjoyed reading your thoughts Tonsu.

oh dear, I usually like Simon Pegg, but yeah...this - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTKIFc8RAoc]Coldplay Speed of Sound at Emirates w/ Simon Pegg - YouTube[/ame]

Enjoyed reading your thoughts Tonsu.

oh dear, I usually like Simon Pegg, but yeah...this - Coldplay Speed of Sound at Emirates w/ Simon Pegg - YouTube

Thanks mate :)

Pegg was diabolical, I just want to forget him, and feel so sorry for people who didn't get a proper version of Speed of Sound like we did on Saturday :( No-one from club level up seemed to recognise him anyway, so I really don't get the point. Anyway, I'll shut up about this now! While it certainly wasn't the high point, I need to focus on the rest of the gig which was, as usual, tremendous :)