✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[10-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ Etihad Stadium, Manchester, UK (warning: m'cr will be busy see P7)

Tash

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys, added a few more photos to my Flickr if you're interested :)

THanks! I usually just go ahead and post if people aren't regular to the forum, but if you're sticking around, I won't be so presumptous,lol. And I ALWAYS give photo/posting credit when I know it. :)

No probs! I am a bit fly-by-night :D

Well, this on top of the fact I met some nice girls around me but got no names and I'm in a desperate attempt to find out who they were. One person I wasn't looking for called ILUVCOLDPLAY, not sure if that's right, was near me but there was a family and these girls that I haven't got yet. They're in the coldplay panorama, that's all I have to go on!

aww - were they super nice? Hope you track em down? Are they potential gig meetup pals?

I quite like having these ships-passing-in-the-night friends from gigs :)

Though someone did ask for my FB yesterday - the magic of smartphones

Great weather, a surprise appearance by Jay-Z, Beyonce and naturally Gwyneth Paltrow (Chris Martin's wife), awesome crowd (new friends) and a smashing set. Coldplay's live show was simply amazing. We arrived early enough to guarantee us a quite-close-to-the-stage position. Then, the waiting. People naturally found ways to entertain themselves with beach balls, singing, Mexican waves etc. It was great fun. Some one next to us was smoking (and distributing) hash...tsk tsk. So the 4 hours passed rather quickly (not really, actually)........ and after a not so amazing Rita Ora, but a great show by Robyn..it was time!~ Chris Martin is energetic as he is entertaining. Never fails to create desire in the crowd for more. Johnny ripped on his guitar, screaming out the oh-so-addictive solos that we know, especially in the newer songs. Of course, when they played the classics like Yellow and The Scientist, we were happy souls. But nothing blew the mind more than the Xylobands. Yes, those wrist bands that light up like Christmas lights. "Charlie Brown" came on, and suddenly the wrist bands exploded to life. 50000 lights shone the area, and everybody went mad. You'll see all this in the video below! All in all, it was worth the trip to Manchester. Enjoyed some dimsum in China town and the nice weather proved uplifting for the rest of the time there.

[thanks TheSkateMusicianer]

http://theskatemusicianer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/coldplay-live-in-manchester-concert.html

On Sunday I went to see Coldplay with my Scottish friend Neil Bird. We went into Manchester for lunch with Laura and Cathrin of Goodnight Astor fame. We had lunch at Bella Italia which was really nice then walked around the city and had a couple beers at a place called Dry.

We got the bus to the venue which was the Etihad Staium and had a sneaky portion of chips.

Opening the show was Ritaora who was quite good but nothing special in my opinion. Then Robyn did a set, I didn't think she was very good at first but as her set went on it got a lot better and I found myself enjoying her set more then Ritaora's.

Coldplay were pretty damn awesome and performed really well. I am not the biggest Coldplay fan but I did really enjoy myself and was excited to be going. Chris Martin is a pretty good showman and performed really well. He used the lights and they did a few sneaky things that were pretty cool. I really liked the stage setup it was very Coldplay.

Before the set they handed out wristbands for free which flashed during set and looked really cool.

After the set we walked back to the car as the traffic was a nightmare. The night was pretty good I was a bit tired for work the next day but it was all cool.

http://wyatthaplo.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/coldplay.html

I think only Mods can delete posts, but don't worry, double-posts happen all the time. No big deal. :)

Ah, that's ok then - thanks for the heads up :)

...a great show by Robyn...

[thanks TheSkateMusicianer]

http://theskatemusicianer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/coldplay-live-in-manchester-concert.html

Robyn did a set, I didn't think she was very good at first but as her set went on it got a lot better and I found myself enjoying her set more then Ritaora's.

http://wyatthaplo.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/coldplay.html

Yaaaaaay! Thanks for the review links and quotes - that leu103 review's a bit flowery isn't it?!

I'm glad Robyn had a better reception from some of the crowd :) (Though I agree she started with some inaccessible songs, but that's the way she starts her own shows and I admire her sticking to her guns)

a few more photos[/url] to my Flickr if you're interested :)

No probs! I am a bit fly-by-night :D

aww - were they super nice? Hope you track em down? Are they potential gig meetup pals?

I quite like having these ships-passing-in-the-night friends from gigs :)

Though someone did ask for my FB yesterday - the magic of smartphones

They were cute! :( I'm an idiot for not getting names but atleast next time I'll learn. I've posted in the facebook event page to see if I get anything but upto now, no luck.

I would happily go to a gig with them again.

The idea for the panorama tagging came from this. It'd make it easier for us coldplay fans to track down those we've danced with but never got the names. I'm not sure how we'd go about it (other than facebook), though.

I'm kind of settling down again to normal life. Pictures of the band make me smile though, it's like a relationship! The only thing that'd make the experience complete would be finding out who these girls were!

Eve81.... Pretty sure it was 'Nothing Lasts Forever' by Echo and the Bunmymen in between Clocks and Fix You on 10th June... Chris making it sound way better stripped down IMHO....

Am still buzzing from that gig even a week later :)

The weather was good for our trip down the motorway to Manchester but I felt lousy. I had done a night shift at work on the Friday and for some reason hardly slept on the Saturday night, so Sunday during the trip tiredness caught up with me, so much so that I felt physically sick. At around 2.30pm we arrived at Glen's son's house (he was at the Download Festival with his girlfriend that weekend) in Swinton where we were staying, I went to bed for a couple of hours and actually slept, anyone who knows me knows that normally I don't take naps but I so needed this one! I felt much better when I got up.

At 6pm we went for am meal at a nearby pub called The Farmer's Arms. It was ok, typical pub fayre, nothing, special but ok. With the aid of my sat nav Glen drove through the centre of Manchester and on to the Etihad Stadium, I doubt we would have managed it without the sat nav. We parked our car for the extortionate fee of £10 and then walked the short distance to the stadium, it was a cool but pleasant evening, so much better than the monsoon conditions there had been the previous night. Everyone was given wristbands (xylobands) to wear at the turnstiles.

Our seats were in the 2nd last row of the top tier but not far back from the stage, it was a bit windy up there lol! One of the support acts, Robyn, was just finishing her slot. The set consisted of four circular screens at the back of the stage, a curved main stage and a small, x-shaped b stage reached by a catwalk, it was all decorated with vividly coloured graffiti. There was a buzz in the audience, I just love the atmosphere of a live gig.

Coldplay made their grand entrance at 9.15pm. Everyone's xylobands (named after part of the latest album's title Mylo Xyloto) started flashing in unison. There was a sea of red, blue, pink, green, blue and white lights all around the stadium and fireworks whizzed into the air from behind the stage, it was pretty amazing. Later confetti canons spewed hearts and butterflies into the air, some even managed to float up to our level. It must have been amazing to be in the crowd at the front.

The opening song was Hurts Like Heaven, followed by Rush of Blood to the Head. The sound where we were (I know sound can vary so much in a stadium) was not good unfortunately, it seemed to improve as the gig progressed but was never really good.

Chris Martin gave an energetic performance, bouncing about like one of the huge balloons that were fed into the audience at one point. He talked to the crowd a bit, but I didn't feel he had the charisma that makes a front person in a band really special.

It was good to hear some of my favourite songs such as Yellow, Viva La Vida, Paradise which I really enjoyed. But there was never a time that I got that lump in my throat, felt deep emotions, felt transported by the music. Coldplay are good but they - for me as music is very subjective - haven't the depth about them that I find in bands like U2 and Snow Patrol.

They came on for the encore and for a moment I thought "where the hell are they?" It turned out that they had come one at a time onto small stage right at the back of the field, a nice touch giving those fans furtherest away a close up treat for a couple of songs. The band then ran down the side of the pitch and went back onto the main stage for the final three songs. The first was Clocks and the xylobands flashed into life again. Now that it was completely dark the effect was absolutely stunning, so beautiful, like colourful blanket lying over the whole stadium, gently flashing and undulating in time to the music. It made every person feel a part of the gig as indeed they were. To see that on such a huge scale (I think the stadium holds 55,000 people) and hear the crowd singing along was awe-inspiring.

The penultimate song was the lovely Fix You, another of my favourite songs by Coldplay. Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, combined with communal singing, sparkly xylobands and then fireworks brought the gig to an end.

I enjoyed the concert, it didn't move me, but I had fun. Coldplay have been accused of being a bit bland, and sometimes I can see where that comes from. But it can't be denied that they have also created some wonderful songs over the years too. Would I see them again? I don't think so, but I am glad I went this once - though I am miffed my xyloband remained stubbornly dark lol!

[thanks Sue Fell]

http://the-crystal-gazer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/coldplay-manchester-10th-june-2012.html

some pictures:

osakht.jpg

345eepw.jpg

eja62r.jpg

ra43dj.jpg

1fbv2d.jpg

245h7o8.jpg

316ta0x.jpg

And just a few words about the show:

I arrived around 11am. The sun was there finally! It's better to wait under sunshine.

Just few people were waiting when I arrived.

They opened the doors earlier: around 4:30pm.

I was the 1st in the stadium!!! So I could choose where I wanted to be: Jonny side in front row just in front of him ;)

Just before Rita Ora, all around me was crazy because Beyonce was there.

34skks1.jpg

Coldplay appeared after Back to the Future for more than 1h30min of a great, amazing show as usual!

It was my 5th show this year and I had always different impressions after each show :)

The crowd was amazing, maybe better than on saturday.

I love the crowd in UK, very different than in France, that's why I prefer to go in UK to see Coldplay or other bands.

Now, I can't wait to see them again in August!

PS: the picture I took with Chris and Guy was from the 2nd show in London...It was a mistake, sorry

• 2 months later...

1754965436.jpg

Serial con artist sold non-existant Manchester Coldplay tickets to victims

A serial fraudster has been warned he could face a prison sentence after pleading guilty to selling tickets he never had to a Coldplay concert on an internet site.

James Shevlin, who is one of Preston’s most prolific con men, has 55 previous offences for fraud, thefts and deceptions, dating back as far as the 1970s. he last hit the headlines in May 2007 when he was jailed for three-and-a-half years when he stole pub landlord Peter Hough’s identity and went on a £21,000 spending spree.

He tricked information out of Mr Hough by posing as a friendly customer at the Smiths Arms Hotel in Lea. In his latest spate of offending he sold non existent tickets to a Coldplay concert on a website.

He has admitted one count of fraud and has had six other crimes taken into consideration. Prosecuting at Preston Magistrates Court, Elliott Taylforth described how the 51-year-old, from Tag Croft, Ingol, Preston, had advertised tickets for Coldplay’s Manchester concert, which took place in June, on the Gumtree website at a cost of around £300.

One victim from Hampshire had paid cash into his bank account but the tickets had never arrived and the matter was reported to the police. When arrested Shevlin admitted he did not possess any Coldplay tickets.

He confessed to police about six other similar matters, involving Coldplays fans from various counties. All the crimes happened in April and May, just before the band’s Manchester concert.

Those deceptions, amounting to around £1,500, will now be taken into consideration by the judge. Sgt Michelle Doughty, of Lea Police said: “We welcome any fraud conviction and await his sentence in the hope it will deter other people from committing serious offences.”

The case was committed to Preston Crown Court for sentence on October 2.

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/local/serial-con-artist-sold-coldplay-tickets-to-victims-1-4891019