🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Lana Del Rey

S.@.m.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehhh it's good I think but it does NOT live up to the ridiculous expectations. I feel like I either don't "get" it, or there's nothing to get at all. I need to see if it's a grower. Probz not though. I felt weird about it.

I listened to it for a second time, this time on headphones instead of shitty speakers, and I can definitively say it was a LOT better. Sounded almost like a different album. I like it more now, but I still don't think it lives up to lofty explanations. And the alcohol/weed references get old after like 2 songs.

I'm actually starting to feel really bad for her. The reviews are trickling in and for the most part, they are slamming the album like Pitchfork did.

I'm not really surprised by the album's reception. In fact, I posted a couple of weeks ago that this album was probably going to be a massive flop. There was just too much hype and anticipation that the album just couldn't meet. But more than that, I wrote how with the exception of Video Games and Blue Jeans, the songs were mediocre at best (this was all before the leak).

After getting the album, my suspicions were confirmed. Video Games remains the highlight of the album while the other songs just try too hard to fit this "Lana Del Rey" image. Not to mention the lyrics are some of the worst in recent memory.

I agree the lyrics are kinda .... mwe. She sings about being high/stoned too much and uses the word 'fucking' to emphasize on something .... what the fuck? It's a bit like she tried to make the same song several times :|

Still love it, ahahahahahahahahhaa, will buy.

I'm actually starting to feel really bad for her. The reviews are trickling in and for the most part, they are slamming the album like Pitchfork did.

I'm not really surprised by the album's reception. In fact, I posted a couple of weeks ago that this album was probably going to be a massive flop. There was just too much hype and anticipation that the album just couldn't meet. But more than that, I wrote how with the exception of Video Games and Blue Jeans, the songs were mediocre at best (this was all before the leak).

After getting the album, my suspicions were confirmed. Video Games remains the highlight of the album while the other songs just try too hard to fit this "Lana Del Rey" image. Not to mention the lyrics are some of the worst in recent memory.

Good point. I agree that Video Games is the highlight and that it made too much hype. But also, I don't really agree with Pitchfork review, 70% of the review is about the lyrics! A song isn't just lyrics, Pitchfork, it's lyrics, music, and the message.

I agree the lyrics are kinda .... mwe. She sings about being high/stoned too much and uses the word 'fucking' to emphasize on something .... what the fuck? It's a bit like she tried to make the same song several times :|

Still love it, ahahahahahahahahhaa, will buy.

Agreed, the lyrics are not anything special, but I still like the album. It's not the album of the year, but it's still enjoyable. + The National Anthem and Dark Paradise are great :wacky:

Well, if you think about it, 5.5 for Pitchfork is actually okay. And Metacritic says it's averaged at about 62, which is decent. I don't think it's being slammed so much as people are disappointed because it was ridiculously hyped.

My only complaints are:

1. The album is too produced. Those random yells and stuff in the background are so annoying, and her voice is divided into too many layers on most songs. Every song seems like it's LONGER than it actually is because there's too much stuff jammed into every tune.

2. The depth of the album isn't very versed. Her attitude on every song is pretty much the same, bored-sounding, melancholy girl. I dunno, maybe I'm just being overly-critical.

3. Album is messy, doesn't flow well. Reminds me of Coldplay's X&Y: It's too ambitious and there's filler junk on it.

But I think overall it's pretty good, and the p4k review is fair. Though I'd probably be more generous, but p4k is NOT generous whatsoever. Well, the MX review was a weird anomaly.

I agree usually with Pitchfork and I think it's a really fair review even tho I personally like the album. It's not one of the most amazing things I've ever heard in my life but it's not a complete waste of my time either. And I enjoy listening to it. So yeah!