✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Muse Thread - Hate This & I'll Hate You

CountingDemons

this[/url] posted on .mu. :facepalm:

:lol: Oh, Twilight fans.

I watched the AMAs with my friends, and . . . seriously. I need to stop watching American music award shows like this. :dozey:

But I seriously was not expecting Muse to actually be there. So when the camera showed Matt, Dom, and Tom getting out of their seats . . .

Me: :o :cheesy: :dance: :wacky: :freak: ZOMG THEY ACTUALLY SHOWED UP ASDFLJLKA;SDFJKLSL

Non-Muser friends: :blank: Calm down.

That really is facepalm worthy. :facepalm:

Now look at this. . . Matt trying to be the political one. :lol: :rolleyes:

Lulz at the comment a twihard wrote:

Cheesy? As a Twilight fan I thought that neutron song was cheesy. A ripoff of Queen. He tried to clean it up but it's too late. It's just like Paramore. What's with these ungreatful little ******* bands? Twilight makes them famous and then they give us their asses to kiss. The cat's out of the bag. Muse used Twilight to get their music out which they did. Made millions and now wants to try and dis Twilight and distance itsself just like Paramore did which is why I don't follow their music anymore. Fans need to take a stand and start dissing them back. I hope they aren't used for Breaking Dawn. Time to move on Steph.

Lulz at the comment a twihard wrote:

. . . Made millions and now wants to try and dis Twilight and distance itsself just like Paramore did which is why I don't follow their music anymore . . .

More Muse for us, then. :tongue:

i want to know if they got bored with beiber winning 4 awards

I want to know how they sat through those performances. :lol:

More Muse for us, then. :tongue:

I want to know how they sat through those performances. :lol:

I think Tom mentioned Darwin because Bieber and Usher (I think) were both thanking God for winning, and Darwin's the complete opposite of God. :lol:

I bet Dom and Matt were giggling the whole time. :laugh4:

Matt was probably cracking jokes at Bieber. :awesome:

i think matt thought the zetas were just checking his patience:laugh3:

and dom and tom just drank loads:p

:lol: That's totally Matt.

I think Tom mentioned Darwin because Bieber and Usher (I think) were both thanking God for winning, and Darwin's the complete opposite of God. :lol:

I bet Dom and Matt were giggling the whole time. :laugh4:

Matt was probably cracking jokes at Bieber. :awesome:

I didn't really get the whole Darwin thing until people on Twitter and other online articles pointed that out. That's pretty hilarious of Tom. :D

Heheh, yeah, the boys were probably having a good time just laughing at the others. :P

I would do that too. :lol:

I didn't see them at all until they stood up, and I had been watching the crowd. . . :anxious:

Yeah, I couldn't find them in the crowd either. Maybe that's because I was not expecting them to be at the awards at all, so it was such a nice surprise to see them (and Kirk!). When they got on stage, I kept thinking, "Go on, Matt, say something weird. :awesome:"

I'm listening to Resistance, and I just remembered something.

Resistance was my first Muse song.

I actually bought it for the piano part and the backing vocals (the It could be wrong, could be wrong, etc part :P). . . I originally didn't even like Matt's voice! :wreck: I thought his voice was just too powerful. :lol:

So, yeah. I was stupid. :anxious:

And then I bought Uprising and I thought it was really depressing, and then I played Resistance and Uprising constantly, and then bought Supermassive Black Hole, and then Knights of Cydonia because I saw Ren's user name, and then I bought the whole Resistance album. :lol:

I can't believe I used to hate Matt's voice though. That's just unacceptable. :mean: :disappointed:

I'm listening to Resistance, and I just remembered something.

Resistance was my first Muse song.

I actually bought it for the piano part and the backing vocals (the It could be wrong, could be wrong, etc part :P). . . I originally didn't even like Matt's voice! :wreck: I thought his voice was just too powerful. :lol:

So, yeah. I was stupid. :anxious:

And then I bought Uprising and I thought it was really depressing, and then I played Resistance and Uprising constantly, and then bought Supermassive Black Hole, and then Knights of Cydonia because I saw Ren's user name, and then I bought the whole Resistance album. :lol:

I can't believe I used to hate Matt's voice though. That's just unacceptable. :mean: :disappointed:

It's ok, at least you've come around by now :nice: :lol:

In other news... 12 DAYS!!!!! :dance:

I have a feeling you're in store for some rarities! :wacky:

Oh, don't worry, the last two weeks flew by for me. :lol:

Good luck with your exams! :hug:

:freak:

That would be EPIC!!!!

Thanks! :hug:

I'm sure they will, especially if I keep coming on here and not studying... :uhoh:

:lol:

Aw, no! Tastes change and all. At least you're now a Muser. :awesome:

Although, I can see why some people would not like Matt's voice for other reasons. :uhoh: For me, I find his voice to be a little whine-y on the first three albums. When other singers sing like that, it bothers me so much. But with Matt, I really, really like it. :blank:

3 days after my exams FINALLY finish! It is my motivation to get through them right now.

AAAAGGHHHHH still too far away! :laugh3:

Have a great time! Good luck on your exams too. :nice:

:freak:

That would be EPIC!!!!

Thanks! :hug:

I'm sure they will, especially if I keep coming on here and not studying... :uhoh:

:lol:

:awesome:

I do that too. Speaking of which, I have a bio quiz tomorrow. . . :uhoh2:

Aw, no! Tastes change and all. At least you're now a Muser. :awesome:

Although, I can see why some people would not like Matt's voice for other reasons. :uhoh: For me, I find his voice to be a little whine-y on the first three albums. When other singers sing like that, it bothers me so much. But with Matt, I really, really like it. :blank:

Yeah. :awesome:

I know what you mean, but it works real well with the music. :wacky:

Now his voice has matured, and it's even moar pretty. :blush:

Thank you! :hug:

Yeah, I'm still not a huge fan of their really early songs, bar a few. His voice was rather whiney... but then there's songs like Unintended and Sunburn which are amazing regardless! :wacky:

:awesome:

I do that too. Speaking of which, I have a bio quiz tomorrow. . . :uhoh2:

Haha, good work :P

Thankfully my next one isn't until Friday :D

Good luck with it!!

I know what you mean, but it works real well with the music. :wacky:

Now his voice has matured, and it's even moar pretty. :blush:

You're right. It really matches the style of the music from back then.

I love how he's still a fantastic live singer. :wacky:

Thank you! :hug:

Yeah, I'm still not a huge fan of their really early songs, bar a few. His voice was rather whiney... but then there's songs like Unintended and Sunburn which are amazing regardless! :wacky:

You're welcome. :nice:

I think I'm in the middle with Muse's earlier songs and their newer music.

Unintended and Sunburn are lovely. :D

apologies if this has already been posted

The Devon-upon-Entire Universe trio Muse have been coming here for years, and though they’ve been progressively growing in stature and nipping at U2’s heels in the So Big It’s Ridiculous Stakes, their performances have never been anything less than amazing.

The band will be back in the antipodes with their mind-bending, visually arresting and American-conquering Resistance tour in the next month. Drummer and occasional fake frontman Dominic Howard phoned in from New York to tell fans what to expect this time around, why rotating 360-degree risers aren’t as fun as they look and how recording bass drum sounds in a swimming pool is a totally legitimate thing to do, even when said pool is full.

“Well, you know, arenas, not stadiums. Like what they play basketball in and stuff.” There is, apparently a difference. Howard, humble rock star that he is, would like to point out that Muse are currently playing an arena, rather than a stadium tour across the US of A. Not that it makes much difference when you consider the kind of set-up the band has going at the moment. For Howard and bandmates Matt Bellamy and Chris Wolstenholme to put their current show on the road, they need no less than eighty crew members travelling with a custom-made stage. “Sometimes you can turn up and the stage is already there,” Dom jokes, “but that doesn’t work for us.” That might have something to do with the ridiculous set-up the boys have going at the moment, which includes purpose-built skyscrapers for each player, enough lights to blind an entire invading alien army and, you know, a giant UFO with an acrobat inside it.

“So it’s actually a massive helium sphere,” explains Dom, “which is controlled by two guys with ropes because naturally it just wants to float off back into space. It looks so cool and it looks good for us, too, because we have something to get distracted with given that nobody’s looking at us at that point in the song!” The subtle difference between a stadium and an arena tour, then, “is the amount of crazy shit we get to pull off. Like in Europe, we had this massive spaceship docking on the stage and we’d walk out of it.” Howard is nevertheless wary about the prospect of bringing the UFO to Australia, “We are doing one outdoor gig in Perth, though, so they might get lucky.” The rest of the bells and whistles, however, are on their way over, including the best ‘party trick’ of all, the skyscrapers.

Nobody has it worse (or better, depending on your ability to deal with heights and motion sickness) than Howard, whose drum riser not only propels up to five metres off the ground, but also spins around, while he’s playing. “When they stop [at the top] they kind of shake and wobble…it was slightly nauseating,” he says, “The whole drum riser also rotates around 360, so I can face the entire audience who are behind the stage; to be honest, that’s a bit weird. Looks cool, but it really puts me off a bit. Most times I just try to close my eyes, try and remember where the drums are!”

In case you haven’t heard The Resistance, Space Dementia or perhaps their latest polarising opus, Neutron Star Collision (Love Is Forever), Muse don’t do a lot of middle ground recording, either. Fans have famously retold the story of how the band cut Absolution opener Apocalypse Please underwater, and Howard is on hand to confirm the rumour. “We were in this studio in Ireland and really isolated,” he says, “and we were just trying out all the different rooms for sound, as you do. The hotel’s swimming pool was great, though, because it supplied this massive reverb. I set up some bass drums and got in the pool to play them, ‘cause that was the most comfortable thing to do.” Its kind of what you’d expect from a band that cut a three-part symphony on their latest record. “We do a lot of experiments with old and rusty things and we hit them to see what happens,” Howard admits, “a lot of the time, nothing happens.”

America is strange place for Muse, having only recently warmed to the group properly, in light of their involvement in the Twilight films. Dom admits it’s strange playing songs like Plug-In Baby, New Born and Feeling Good that weren’t even released in the States the first time around. Unlike Australian audiences, who Howard believes he could play Muscle Museum to and they’d know most of the words, most Yanks only own the band’s last two albums, so they’re being re-taught the back catalogue.

Australian fans of Muse will also be interested to note that this may be the last time they’ll see the band for a while; after almost ten years without either touring or writing, Dom reveals they’re hoping to take a bit of siesta next year. “Generally we’re going to take it easy I think, and maybe think about some new stuff towards the end of the year,” he says, “We might play a few gigs in places we haven’t been to in ages, like South America or Eastern Europe, but other than that, maybe just kick back and reflect.” And that’s a good thing, because really, there’s no worse a place to kick back and reflect than on a twirling drum riser, five metres above the Earth.