🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Albums of the Year 2011 - The Countdown

Wyrd

And there you go, boys and girls. Thank you all so much for your participation and your patience. Wyrd will probably post some alternate stats or lists for comparison's sake. I really couldn't have managed half as well this year without her.

So this was my fifth year doing this poll. Five years is a long time on the internet. It's a long time in real life! This board has changed my tastes and knowledge and whatever else so much. But the rest of my life has changed a lot too and I don't have the time for things I used to. So after 5 years I'm retiring. I really hope someone organizes this poll next year. I want to participate again, but I doubt I'll be able to put it all together.

Thanks for all the magic.

Goodbye. :hat2:

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MX couldn't have finished 1st, read the first post of the voting thread ;)

Right, it couldn't technically finish #1 but I thought it would be the undisputed #1 pick after all the votes were counted and the points were added up.

But interestingly enough, Mylo Xyloto didn't 1) receive the most votes; or 2) accumulate the most points.

And that's why the results were so shocking to me.

Right, it couldn't technically finish #1 but I thought it would be the undisputed #1 pick after all the votes were counted and the points were added up.

But interestingly enough, Mylo Xyloto didn't 1) receive the most votes; or 2) accumulate the most points.

And that's why Coldplay albums are still more or less allowed. There's always that chance for surprise. :thinking::D

I guess a lot of the people who voted are massive Radiohead or Bon Iver fans :shrug:

The number of people who voted wasn't particularly huge I don't think, but if the whole board had voted then I'm pretty sure MX would have come out on top.

and thanks Space Cadet, you did a great job :D

I guess a lot of the people who voted are massive Radiohead or Bon Iver fans :shrug:

The number of people who voted wasn't particularly huge I don't think, but if the whole board had voted then I'm pretty sure MX would have come out on top.

and thanks Space Cadet, you did a great job :D

There were just over 50 lists if I remember correctly, which is about average. A lot of the old world of music regulars who vote in these polls have moved on from Coldplay but still hang around the board, which has always given these countdowns a rather distinctive flavour.

And there you go, boys and girls. Thank you all so much for your participation and your patience. Wyrd will probably post some alternate stats or lists for comparison's sake. I really couldn't have managed half as well this year without her.

So this was my fifth year doing this poll. Five years is a long time on the internet. It's a long time in real life! This board has changed my tastes and knowledge and whatever else so much. But the rest of my life has changed a lot too and I don't have the time for things I used to. So after 5 years I'm retiring. I really hope someone organizes this poll next year. I want to participate again, but I doubt I'll be able to put it all together.

thank you for organizing this and all the time and effort dedicated to it!

Thanks for compiling all the results girls - fantastic job. It won't be the same without you next time SC :kiss:

Anyway, as much as I disagree with the top ten (Seeds at #11 :disgusted: !!) it's always interesting seeing the final list. Shame Coldplay couldn't defend their 'King of the Board' crown, but in all honesty, I'm not really surprised...maybe they'll raise the bar for their next one... :inquisitive:

Thanks, Space Cadet! :nice:

If I am still around on the board next year, I don't mind starting the poll. I will then look more carefully at what people are submitting :P but I can get pretty cranky when people submit stuff in a weird way, so I don't know if I am the right kind of person to do this stuff, hahaha.

MX couldn't have finished 1st, read the first post of the voting thread ;)
It could have. Even if people would not place it as number one in their list it could have become number one if enough people would have voted for the album, because the list is about total points an album gets, not about which place an album has on people's list.

Despite the guideline, some people had placed it at number one anyway and I let them. There's not many people who had it at number two, so I guess not too many people found it the best album this year anyway. If the number two's would have been number ones, the album would still have been on the third place (although I wonder how many people would then have put Bon Iver or Radiohead on the second place instead ...)

It is, and it is even better live! You should get their first album 'To Lose My Life' it's better than Ritual IMO. Of course, Ritual is still a great album :)
Yep, I agree. Their first album is even better! Give it a listen if you haven't heard more of White Lies.

More lists to follow. I'll give the top 50 for the simple counting system (so no.1 would get 25 points and no. 25 1 point) soon.

Top 50 if the simple point system was used:

Between brackets you also find the rank it got on the ultimate list

50. Shlohmo - Bad Vibes (51 pts)(53)

49. Explosions In The Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care (52 pts)(53)

48. The Boxer Rebellion - The Cold Still (53 pts)(55)

47. The Joy Formidable - The Big Roar (54 pts)(57)

46. R.E.M. - Collapse Into Now (57 pts)(44)

45. Miles Kane - Colour of The Trap (58 pts)(45)

44. Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones (60 pts)(46)

43. Noah & The Whale - Last Night on Earth (61 pts)(43)

42. The Black Keys - El Camino (63 pts)(39)

41. Wild Beasts - Smother (66 pts)(41)

39. James Blake - James Blake (67 pts)(40)

39. Drake - Take Care (67 pts)(37)

38. Laura Marling - A Creature I Don't Know (72 pts)(36)

37. Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow (74 pts)(38)

35. The Weeknd - House of Balloons (76 pts)(42)

35. Youth Lagoon - The Year Of Hibernation (76 pts)(21)

34. Beady Eye - Different Gear, Still Speeding (78 pts)(35)

32. Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes (84 pts)(34)

32. Modeselektor - Monkeytown (84 pts)(31)

31. Björk - Biophilia (87.5 pts)(33)

30. Braids - Native Speaker (92 pts)(32)

27. Bombay Bicycle Club - A Different Kind of Fix (99 pts)(30)

27. Snow Patrol - Fallen Empires (99 pts)(29)

27. Kasabian - Velociraptor (99pts)(27)

26. Death Cab For Cutie - Codes and Keys (100,5 pts)(28)

25. Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (101,5 pts)(26)

24. White Lies - Ritual (103 pts)(25)

23. Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With You (107 pts)(24)

22. M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming (125 pts)(23)

21. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake (126 pts)(20)

20. The Vaccines - What Did You Expect From The Vaccines (128 pts)(22)

19. Beirut - The Rip Tide (141 pts)(19)

18. Other Lives - Tamer Animals (143 pts)(17)

16. Wilco - The Whole Love (149 pts)(18)

16. Feist - Metals (149 pts)(13)

15. Adele - 21 (152.5 pts)(13)

14. Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds - Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds (158 pts)(12)

13. Jay-Z & Kanye West - Watch The Throne (160.5 pts)(16)

12. The Strokes - Angles (164.5 pts)(15)

11. Hey Rosetta! - Seeds (170 pts)(11)

10. St. Vincent - Strange Mercy (185.5 pts)(10)

9. Arctic Monkeys - Suck It and See (208 pts)(9)

8. The Antlers - Burst Apart (220 pts)(7)

7.Elbow - Build a Rocket Boys! (238 pts)(8)

6. Foster The People - Torches (274 pts)(6)

5. Florence + The Machine - Ceremonials (301 pts)(5)

4. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues (505.5 pts)(4)

3. Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto (523.5 pts)(3)

2. Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver (544 pts)(1)

1. Radiohead - The King of Limbs (595 pts)(2)

I think it's interesting to see that Youth Lagoon got so low (no. 35) on this list but got on no. 21 on the big list. I guess that's due to the high rank it got on the lists of people that voted for it. Which is one of the reasons why I like that system better than just using 25-1 points for each place. Another reason is that with the original ranking there's less overlap in number of points albums get, so less shared places.

Why Radiohead is on no.1 in the list is mostly due to the amount of people that voted for them and not so much because they got so high in people's list.

Top 10 number of times voted for:

9. Feist - Metals (11)

9. Arctic Monkeys - Suck It and See (11)

9. The Antlers - Burst Apart (11)

8. St. Vincent - Strange Mercy (12)

7. Elbow - Build a Rocket Boys! (13)

6. Foster The People - Torches (15)

5. Florence + The Machine - Ceremonials (16)

4. Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver (25)

3. Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto (26)

2. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues (27)

1. Radiohead - The King of Limbs (31)

Top 5 albums with number 1 votes:

5. Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds - Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds (2)

5. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues (2)

3. Hey Rosetta! - Seeds (3)

3. Radiohead - The King Of Limbs (3)

2. Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto (4)

1. Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver (9)

I tried to get a top of most unique voters, because I saw some voters had several albums in their list that no one else voted for while the majority of people voted only for albums that were in more lists. The Top 10 is a bit of a more-or-less thing I'd say, since some lists are longer than others so they automatically have more chance to contain unique albums. I tried to correct for the list lenght but not let it weight too much.

David should come up as no.1 anyway, because this guy only voted for albums that no one else voted for. :o

For the rest I tried to have a point system that works as follows:

only unique votes 2000

unique vote 400

album had two votes 200

album had three votes 100

album had four votes 50

album had five votes 25

album had six votes 12

album had seven votes 6

album had eight votes 3

album had nine votes 1

To correct for the amount of songs in the list I devided the total points per username by the amount of albums that was voted for +20

The +20 is just there to not let smaller lists weight too much just because they were small. Why it's 20 I don't know, it just looked good, hahaha! So don't take the list too serious ;)

Now for the Indie Kids :earmuffs:

Top 10 voting users with most unique taste this year?

1. David ( 178 pts)

2. Timothy Q. Mouse ( 149 pts)

3. The Final Track ( 121 pts)

4. squareonefivesix ( 108 pts)

5. para-para-parrotdies ( 103 pts)

6. Wyrd ( 102 pts)

7. domscientist ( 101 pts)

8. Italian Plastic ( 89 pts)

9. dreamorlife ( 74 pts)

10. winigwl ( 71 pts)

I am thinking of making a list of albums that might be worth a listen because they hardly show up on people's list but when they do they get really high rating ... I don't know if that will work however, because it can also be that they are hardly on someone's list because most have heard it but just thought they sucked too much to be on the list at all :( I dunno ..... Gotey is for example such an album that only got two votes of which one no.1 position, but I am sure many have heard it but just thought it was too bad to make the Top (as I did :uhoh:)