✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Who's Next To Play The Superbowl Halftime Show?

coldplaymom

Who's next to play the Super Bowl halftime show?

By Dan Hanzus NFL.com

Published: Feb. 12, 2012 at 05:56 p.m.

Updated: Feb. 12, 2012 at 08:35 p.m.

Rolling Stone magazine recently asked its readers who should follow Madonna as next year's Super Bowl halftime act. The responses that populated the Top 10 ranged from, “Hmmm, that’s a great idea” to “Wow, people on the Internet are insane.”

Several factors make Coldplay a top choice to play halftime in New Orleans.

Several factors make Coldplay a top choice to play halftime in New Orleans. (Roberto Pfeil/Associated Press)

Here's the list, with our opinion included:

10. Phish

Two words: Not happening. Big Mouth Billy Bass has a better chance of playing the Super Bowl than the stoner rock legends. Seriously, the only way this happens is if Trey Anastasio overthrows Roger Goodell and assumes control of the league. And we’re not even sure that gets it done.

9. Coldplay

These guys are probably the closest to a lock on this list due to the combination of worldwide popularity, relative youth and safe factor (Chris Martin isn't flipping off anyone.) Coldplay has positioned itself as the logical successors to U2 for years, and playing the big game would do wonders on that front (Bono & Co. played a memorable post-9/11 halftime set at Super Bowl XXVI.)

8. Lady Gaga

If Coldplay is this generation’s U2, then Gaga is thought by many to be the new Madonna. As such, it’d be a surprise if the Powers That Be chose Gaga a year after the Material Girl’s performance at Super Bowl XLVI. Timing necessitates a longer commercial shelf life for Gaga, no small task in a fickle pop world.

Lady Gaga playing the Super Bowl a year after Madonna? Not likely.

Lady Gaga playing the Super Bowl a year after Madonna? Not likely. (Chris Pizzelo/Associated Press)

7. Rush

We’ve heard that Rush is the most underrated band in rock history so often the last few years they’ve become almost overrated because of it. Still, they have an extensive catalog of hits, and the band reached a new generation of fans when “Tom Sawyer” showed up on the video game “Rock Band 3.” Still, Rush? We don’t want to come off as anti-Canadian, but we don’t see it.

6. Metallica

The heavy metal legends certainly have the resume to put together a killer setlist (including the no-brainer “Enter Sandman”), but is Metallica mainstream enough to play the Super Bowl? It really depends on who you ask, but if it hasn’t happened yet it probably won’t happen now.

5. AC/DC

As The Who proved in Super Bowl XLIV, it’s not always a great idea to trot out a veteran rock band and assume they’ll be able to summon past glories. In fact, we’d like to enact an unofficial bylaw that disqualifies rock bands that feature members in their 60s. (If you’re a Beatle or Rolling Stone, this does not apply). In another decade, AC/DC were a great choice. Sadly, the window has closed.

4. The Black Keys

This would be the painfully transparent choice if the Powers That Be wanted to “hip up” halftime. The Black Keys have a loyal fan base and some great songs, but if we're going with a critically adored midwestern rock act, we'd much rather see a White Stripes reunion.

Foo Fighters and frontman Dave Grohl are a logical choice to play the Super Bowl.

Foo Fighters and frontman Dave Grohl are a logical choice to play the Super Bowl. (Joel Ryan/Associated Press)

3. Pearl Jam

Though it’s easy to dismiss this option citing Eddie Vedder’s well-known aversion to the commercial aspects of fame (the man once tried to bring down Ticketmaster, after all), it's possible Pearl Jam might be ready for the Super Bowl. The 2011 Cameron Crowe documentary "Pearl Jam Twenty" showed a group finally comfortable in its skin. Pearl Jam in 1993 wouldn't go near this event, but Pearl Jam in 2013? Could be a different story. Our dark horse.

2. Van Halen

Let’s see if David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen can get through their upcoming reunion tour without killing each other before discussing this one.

1. Foo Fighters

According to Rolling Stone, Foo Fighters were the overwhelming choice by readers to play halftime. Like Coldplay, Foo Fighters are at a stage in their career where playing the Super Bowl makes complete sense. They've been around long enough where even casual fans of rock music know their hits, but are still young enough to make the Powers That Be come off as hip. Let's make it happen.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d826e5df8/article/whos-next-to-play-the-super-bowl-halftime-show?module=HP11_content_stream

I was thinking about this when I was watching the Super Bowl last week. In this point in their careers it would make total sense if they'd played a show as massive as this one. Also, after having two more 'dance/disco' orientated acts the last two years (Black Eyed Peas and Madonna), I think it is time for a band next year and Coldplay can easily pull of a 15 minute hit medley. More than Foo Figthers, I think.

How many Foo Fighters hits would a Superbowl crowd recognize? Coldplay has a big pool of hits that an American audience will easily recognize: Viva, Clocks, Fix You, Politik, etc. Even the newest materiel like Charlie Brown would rock the place. Come on NFL!

'Best of You' would destroy anything Coldplay could put out. Be realistic, i think an american football crowd would enjoy a heavier rock sound to coldplay's 'limestone' rock. Having said that, I have no idea why they picked Madonna to do the show this year.

Coldplay, save your hits for a real global event. London 2012 anyone?

^They can't perform at the opening cermony, they have a sold out gig in Montreal that night. I know, what a shame. Maybe at the closing ceremony, but I doubt it. I know, they would have been perfect for the Olympics.

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92025

Ahh, that is a shame, but yes perhaps the closing gig. Either way, I still stand by Foo Fighters as a better act for a 'manly' sport than Coldplay. Keep yer pants on though everyone, i'm still a Coldplay fan, its just that they don't quite fit; kinda like Jay-Z at Glasto fiasco a few years back.

How many Foo Fighters hits would a Superbowl crowd recognize? Coldplay has a big pool of hits that an American audience will easily recognize: Viva, Clocks, Fix You, Politik, etc. Even the newest materiel like Charlie Brown would rock the place. Come on NFL!

Sorry if it seems like i'm picking on you :P, but from the article

1. Foo Fighters

According to Rolling Stone, Foo Fighters were the overwhelming choice by readers to play halftime. Like Coldplay, Foo Fighters are at a stage in their career where playing the Super Bowl makes complete sense. They've been around long enough where even casual fans of rock music know their hits, but are still young enough to make the Powers That Be come off as hip. Let's make it happen.

In other words, your worry about how many hits a Superbowl crowd would recognize seems to be solved with the second bolded part. The kicker is the first part asking the readers who they want and they want frickin' Foo Fighers

Everlong? Check.

Learn to Fly? Check.

My Hero? Check.

Best of You? Check.

All My Life? Check.

Times Like These? Check.

Those are, of course, older hits of theirs that have had a long time to settle in the mainstream world. There's more uncertainty to recent hits like "Walk" or "The Pretender", but you can't seriously believe more people recognize "Politik" than "Everlong".

Unfortunately for both, you're not allowed to play the Super Bowl until you're at least 50 years old in fears that you'll "scare off" the older generation. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately for both, you're not allowed to play the Super Bowl until you're at least 50 years old in fears that you'll "scare off" the older generation. :rolleyes:

lol, that's why they've been having cameos/duets lately (BEP/Slash, Madonna/LMFAO); terrible idea, esp since it doesnt work

'Best of You' would destroy anything Coldplay could put out. Be realistic, i think an american football crowd would enjoy a heavier rock sound to coldplay's 'limestone' rock. Having said that, I have no idea why they picked Madonna to do the show this year.

Coldplay, save your hits for a real global event. London 2012 anyone?

Of course you're speaking for yourself. I've just watched clips of Best Of You and I'll take any Coldplay hit any day.:) Though I did like the Walk Performance last night.

Even though "Walk" was wondrous last night, I still think Coldplay would be wonderful contenders for the Super Bowl! They may not be the "rock" band that a football crowd would appreciate on the surface, but once they pull out Viva and Clocks, and even Politik or Charlie Brown, nobody could say anything bad about them! They'd be too busy jumping up and down with their xylobands to criticize. Quite honestly, it would be perfect! :)

If they are sticking with "older / safe" acts with a number of well known hits then my guess would be Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

He has a number of crowd pleasing "bar" anthems for the over 40 crowd. Not to mention he has been an established stadium act for years. Just imagine...

Runnin Down a Dream / Learning to Fly / Free Fallin' / American Girl

all songs about making it through the hard times and following your dreams... perfect for the Super Bowl.

Everlong? Check.

Learn to Fly? Check.

My Hero? Check.

Best of You? Check.

All My Life? Check.

Times Like These? Check.

Those are, of course, older hits of theirs that have had a long time to settle in the mainstream world. There's more uncertainty to recent hits like "Walk" or "The Pretender", but you can't seriously believe more people recognize "Politik" than "Everlong".

As the French say, les gouts et les couleurs....... I watched every single of the Foo Fighters songs you listed and Coldplay is still #1 for me. I'd still prefer my Viva La Vida, Fix You, Clocks, etc..... Remember, a superbowl audience isn't a rock'n roll audience at all, but rather an act that transcends the genre, which is what Coldplay are all about these days.

As the French say, les gouts et les couleurs....... I watched every single of the Foo Fighters songs you listed and Coldplay is still #1 for me. I'd still prefer my Viva La Vida, Fix You, Clocks, etc..... Remember, a superbowl audience isn't a rock'n roll audience at all, but rather an act that transcends the genre, which is what Coldplay are all about these days.

Agreed on all counts. Coldplay + Superbowl= EPIC! :D

If they are sticking with "older / safe" acts with a number of well known hits then my guess would be Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

He has a number of crowd pleasing "bar" anthems for the over 40 crowd. Not to mention he has been an established stadium act for years. Just imagine...

Runnin Down a Dream / Learning to Fly / Free Fallin' / American Girl

all songs about making it through the hard times and following your dreams... perfect for the Super Bowl.

Tom is a good one. What is he doing these days though?

Even though "Walk" was wondrous last night, I still think Coldplay would be wonderful contenders for the Super Bowl! They may not be the "rock" band that a football crowd would appreciate on the surface, but once they pull out Viva and Clocks, and even Politik or Charlie Brown, nobody could say anything bad about them! They'd be too busy jumping up and down with their xylobands to criticize. Quite honestly, it would be perfect! :)

It don't see a stadium full of football fans wear Xylobands.

And I agree with Corkus, I think the majority of the audience knows the Foo hits. Don't get me wrong, I would really enjoy Coldplay during the Halftime show, but Foo Fighters would be pretty awesome too!

It don't see a stadium full of football fans wear Xylobands.

And I agree with Corkus, I think the majority of the audience knows the Foo hits. Don't get me wrong, I would really enjoy Coldplay during the Halftime show, but Foo Fighters would be pretty awesome too!

Well, my priority is Coldplay. What's yours?:P

PS. I find Foo Fighters very pleasant, but I prefer Coldplay.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers have performed at the Super Bowl already. They did so a couple years ago. I'll have to go back and check what their setlist was.

Ahh, that is a shame, but yes perhaps the closing gig. Either way, I still stand by Foo Fighters as a better act for a 'manly' sport than Coldplay. Keep yer pants on though everyone, i'm still a Coldplay fan, its just that they don't quite fit; kinda like Jay-Z at Glasto fiasco a few years back.

Unfortunately, yes, this would be an issue. A lot of people here in the States like to knock on Coldplay as "wimpy" music as it is, and I can imagine the confusion some would have with them being at the Super Bowl, and the teasing that would ensue.

I'd love to see them there-I don't care a whit about football, but I'd gladly watch the halftime show to see them. And I definitely think they'd make a great act. But the stupid attitudes of some people will make that a bit hard, unfortunately :(.

Course, if people seemed okay with Madonna performing...maybe they have a shot :).

Everlong? Check.

Learn to Fly? Check.

My Hero? Check.

Best of You? Check.

All My Life? Check.

Times Like These? Check.

Exactly. Even if people don't know the specific names of the songs, a LOT of people are familiar with, if not outright love, the Foo Fighters' music. I certainly agree they'd be a big draw at a halftime show, no question. Lady GaGa would fit well now that Madonna's done it and survived fine. I could see Metallica or AC/DC being there, and yes, if Van Halen doesn't kill each other, they'd DEFINITELY be a possiblity.

I'm not talking about what yours or my individual song opinions are, though. Believe me, I like Clocks better than most of those songs. But Foo Fighters have mainstream recognition at least equal to the level of Coldplay. Picks for performers are more about appeal than critical acclaim. CP and FF have both of those, of course, but I wouldn't give CP the advantage in either category.

And Super Bowl performances aren't bound by genres. For crying out loud, they got the Black Eyed Peas to perform in 2011, and I think the majority of us can agree they suck, but that was an example of both rock and pop taking a backseat.