✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mylo Xyloto or Strangeland

DavidB5

:huh:

Haha, I know. I'm just teasing.

MX makes me angry :angry:

And Perfect Symmetry makes me angry :angry:

So I'm a little wary of the new Keane album. But the first single is better than ANYTHING on Perfect Symmetry, so in my book it will be good. But this thread is silly because we don't even have Strangeland yet, so it's impossible to tell. Do we even have the track list yet? I haven't been keeping up with it as well as I should.

In the end I think that MX is a good album, but it's not up to par with Coldplay's past stuff. At all. Not even close. But I know they still have it in them because there are some truly great songwriting moments in the MX period (Us Against the World, UFO, Moving to Mars). But most of it is not up to snuff. I think they just weren't as motivated.

Perfect Symmetry was just garbage. I was so pissed off when that came out :angry:

I think in the end, because MX is not as good for Coldplay and Strangeland will be good for Keane, they'll be about the same.

summed it up perfectly. I'm super excited about strangeland cuz apparently it sounds more like their older stuff which is always great! and perfect symmetry? just NO!

I'm sure the new Keane album will be decent, solid etc. But there's a reason they'll never be as big or as great as Coldplay, and that's because they're not as dynamic.

I know its a novel idea having a band without a guitarist, but I really do feel it holds Keane back.

Looking at videos they seem quite good live, but nowhere near the standard of Coldplay. Take Bedshaped for example, a fantastic song, but when its played live at the end when your expecting the great guitar sounding part it just doesn't come.

That being said I prefer Silenced By The Night to ETIAW so sometimes it pays to stick to an original formula!

I'm sure the new Keane album will be decent, solid etc. But there's a reason they'll never be as big or as great as Coldplay, and that's because they're not as dynamic.

I know its a novel idea having a band without a guitarist, but I really do feel it holds Keane back.

Looking at videos they seem quite good live, but nowhere near the standard of Coldplay. Take Bedshaped for example, a fantastic song, but when its played live at the end when your expecting the great guitar sounding part it just doesn't come.

That being said I prefer Silenced By The Night to ETIAW so sometimes it pays to stick to an original formula!

+1

But then I believe that Keane are generally just a poor man's Coldplay, and I don't particularly like Coldplay's contemporaries in general.

But they do use a guitar now. It is very prominent on some of the songs from Perfect Symmetry. I think they are just as good as Coldplay, it doesn't seem like it because they are less mainstream which is actually more of a compliment to Keane than Coldplay.

In all fairness, they have said they want to revisit Hopes and Fears and it isn't as if every album they do is the same. UTIS and PS and The NT EP were very different but still brilliant.

Critical acclaim and mainstream popularity has dropped though. Which might say a lot about wanting to go back to Hopes and Fears.

Critical acclaim and mainstream popularity has dropped though. Which might say a lot about wanting to go back to Hopes and Fears.

True. I had never considered this possibility. They did get some bad reviews from fans and critics for the EP especially. Although, so far what they have seems really good for me. I really like Black Rain and The Starting Line.

True. I had never considered this possibility. They did get some bad reviews from fans and critics for the EP especially. Although, so far what they have seems really good for me. I really like Black Rain and The Starting Line.

I read Tim Rice-Oxley saying that he doesn't work hard enough as a songwriter. He re-examined himself a lot and he's working a lot harder now.

I read Tim Rice-Oxley saying that he doesn't work hard enough as a songwriter. He re-examined himself a lot and he's working a lot harder now.

mmm, interesting. I think he has consistently written brilliant songs throughout their short career. I have always got the impression that he has never been totally satisfied though.

mmm, interesting. I think he has consistently written brilliant songs throughout their short career. I have always got the impression that he has never been totally satisfied though.

As someone who used to quite like Keane and then grew disillusioned with them, with the whole what-they-stood-for thing... I never felt like Keane fitted in with anyone. The songs can be as great as you like, but with some people they just don't... connect.

As someone who used to quite like Keane and then grew disillusioned with them, with the whole what-they-stood-for thing... I never felt like Keane fitted in with anyone. The songs can be as great as you like, but with some people they just don't... connect.

Yeah. I often think thhat being branded a Piano Rock band hindered them a bit. Hopes and Fears went 9x Platinum in the UK but Strangeland wont be anywhere near as popular as people dont seem to be bothered about them anymore. Which is a shame but that's just the way it is.:\