✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay @ the Olympics? Any one else gutted?

Long Live Life

Unless someone knows something we don't it seems unlikely in this that Coldplay will be appearing at the Olympics.

I think it's a shame because the Blur performance at the Brits last month did not enthuse me at all. I was never a big fan of Blur in the first place, but I thought their live performance was awful and they were a shadow of their former selves.

I usually agree with Chris on most things, and I know it's tongue in cheek when he said "the Brits used to be awful until we got involved" (or something to that effect) but I hate what the Brits have become. They're tacky, badly organised and presented and far from making Britain look cool it makes us look naff. The awards themselves looked cheap and nasty, like a cheap toy; no one looked like they knew how to dress up for the occassion, the presenting was awful; and the disrespect shown to Adele was a disgrace. The Grammies looked much more professional IMO.

I digress but re the Olympics I really don't think a has-been band just reformed is the best showcase for Britain, and I'm desparately sad that my favourite band are not there in some part.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the majority of people said that the Brits performances were much much better than the Grammys.

I actually enjoyed the Brit awards (not just because Coldplay won :P), the Grammys were the tacky ones.

And of course, it's a huge stupid mistake not to call Coldplay to perform at the London Olympics.

Blur sucked, they were clearly rusty. Coldplay has antithetic songs much more suited for such spectacle.

Blur's performance at the Brits wasn't their best. The main problem was the song choice, especially the first two they played (Girls & Boys and Song 2). Those have never been their strongest songs live, but they have some epic live songs, believe me. I'm confident that at the Olympic closing concert they will play a much better set, probably with some fan favourites that work well live and not just 'greatest hits'.

As for Coldplay, I think they would be a great choice of band for the Olympics, but the band are touring in North America at that time, so they wouldn't be able to make it. I'm sure if they were able to make it then they would have agreed to play at the Olympics, it's just that I guess touring the new album is more important to them right now.

^^ I don't believe they turned down the offer and decided to tour instead. They were probably never contacted.

Surely they could have easily adjusted their touring plans to one night of the Olympics opening/closing ceremony.

As for Coldplay, I think they would be a great choice of band for the Olympics, but the band are touring in North America at that time, so they wouldn't be able to make it.

Where's Concorde when you need it?

I remember Live Aid in 1985 when Phill Collins did the gig in London, then flew to the US and performed for their Live Aid concert too

Actually, the majority of people said that the Brits performances were much much better than the Grammys.

I actually enjoyed the Brit awards (not just because Coldplay won :P), the Grammys were the tacky ones.

Who said? On here or was there a poll somewhere?

I haven't forgiven the Brits for their 2009 snub of Coldplay, with 4 nominations going unrewarded and yet the Grammies acknowledging Coldplay.

I stand by what i said -the presentation of the Brits is tacky and unrprofessional. James Corden presenting from the floor and people walking in front of camera. Adele being cut off after just two sentances to hear a dreadful band performing. Buckets of booze all over the place. Yuk on all counts!

Who said? On here or was there a poll somewhere?

I haven't forgiven the Brits for their 2009 snub of Coldplay, with 4 nominations going unrewarded and yet the Grammies acknowledging Coldplay.

I stand by what i said -the presentation of the Brits is tacky and unrprofessional. James Corden presenting from the floor and people walking in front of camera. Adele being cut off after just two sentances to hear a dreadful band performing. Buckets of booze all over the place. Yuk on all counts!

There were threads for both events, and the comments were hugely positive for the Brit awards. Grammys were mostly negative (well Coldplay did lose ALL 3 awards). They were humiliated in 2009 and there were glitches at this year's awards but I'm telling you, if make a poll, the Brits would win by a landslide. ;)

I think it's about time Coldplay stopped pleasing the cameras and started pleasing the Coldplay fans. Bring on the MX tour, forget any more TV appearances!

:nod:

Exactly, which is why we want them at the Olympics and not over in the US for the umpteenth time!

They will be in the US then for the MX tour (and performing at the Olympics involves pleasing the cameras).

:nod:

They will be in the US then for the MX tour (and performing at the Olympics involves pleasing the cameras).

Touché! :charming:

We know the tour continues in April, and they actually did surprisingly few TV appearances during the break. They're probably just... living.

I thought the majority said Coldplay's performance at the Brits was better, not that the whole event was better than the Grammys.

Exactly, which is why we want them at the Olympics and not over in the US for the umpteenth time!

They're actually in Montreal, doing a sold out gig, the night of the opening ceremony :|

As for the closing ceremony, it would be higly unlikely because, indeed, they're in the US the night before.

Anyway, they were probably never contacted, as Nikola pointed out.

So they're not doing it, that's it, and we should embrace their immense tour :D

End of discussion. :|

I thought the majority said Coldplay's performance at the Brits was better, not that the whole event was better than the Grammys.

I meant what I said. It was my impression that more people enjoyed that night's performances.

But it was a better night for Coldplay. They won 1 award, which isn't a big difference from 0 Grammys, but losing 3 was definitely a downer.

+Their performance was better, and Chris performed with NGHFB!

I meant what I said. It was my impression that more people enjoyed that night's performances.

But it was definitely a better night for Coldplay. They one 1 award, which isn't a big difference from 0, but losing 3 was definitely a downer.

This! :nod:

Personally, I watched the Grammys and the Brits, and even Coldplay aside, I thought the Brits were much better, I enjoyed lots of performances, as opposed to the Grammys that were kind of a pain in the ass :sick:

Though I agree that Blur kinda sucked (for the 2-3 first songs). But otherwise it was a great ceremony :)

I've never liked blur at all (except for Graham Coxon's playing), but their set at the brits was one of the worst things I've ever seen. Damon was clearly wasted, and if I didn't know Graham was off the bottle, I'd have sworn he was too. They looked like s^&t and sounded worse.

But it was a better night for Coldplay. They won 1 award, which isn't a big difference from 0 Grammys, but losing 3 was definitely a downer.

I didn't care for either event. I wouldn't have watched if Coldplay weren't performing. Overall I'd say the Grammys were better than the Brits. But then again, I live over here and am more familiar with most artists who performed at the Grammys. Until the Brits awards I didn't even know who Blur were.

I didn't care for either event. I wouldn't have watched if Coldplay weren't performing. Overall I'd say the Grammys were better than the Brits. But then again, I live over here and am more familiar with most artists who performed at the Grammys. Until the Brits awards I didn't even know who The Blurr were.

It's just Blur, actually.

I didn't care for either event. I wouldn't have watched if Coldplay weren't performing. Overall I'd say the Grammys were better than the Brits. But then again, I live over here and am more familiar with most artists who performed at the Grammys. Until the Brits awards I didn't even know who Blur were.

Fair enough. Us Europeans know more American artists than vice versa, I think.

Sad but true.:( When I moved here over 20 yrs ago, I knew more international artists. Not so much now.

Well, American anything is well known across the world.

So you're from France, Veronique? :)

It's just Blur, actually.

OMG Celine that's your 5555th post!!!1 :bomb:

Fair enough. Us Europeans know more American artists than vice versa, I think.

Blur were fairly popular over here in the late 90's. I think Song 2 had some fairly big commercial impact over here, and Coffee and TV got a lot of airplay as I remember, certainly much more than most of their contemporaries.

I just always thought they were one of those bands that tried so hard to be "important" that they forgot that people listen to music to have a good time. And no one will EVER convince me that parklife is in any way a good song.:P