✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay @ the Olympics? Any one else gutted?

Long Live Life

Heh, don't mean to stuff my nose in. I think they would be great for the Olympics, honestly, and a better chice than Blur (don't get me wrong I love Blur a lot, too). IDK I head a rumor somewhere that they might be recording a song for the Olympics (though not appearing) or something.

Though I'm not annoyed. They'll be in the US or Canada and I'm seeing them on that tour, heh. :laugh3:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:nod:

They will be in the US then for the MX tour (and performing at the Olympics involves pleasing the cameras).

Well as a Uk fan I feel a little miffed (and patronised by this remark). The world doesn't revolve around the US you know!

The UK has Coldplay fans too you know and each and every tour we're lucky if we get 5-10 shows in the Coldplay tour.

All I've seen lately of Coldplay is them on US TV talk shows giving interviews.

The Olympics is an important part of UK events in 2012, and whilst I realise the US is a much bigger country with 5x the population of the UK, we're getting a rough ratio even considering that.

So yes, Coldplay at the biggest event for the UK in the last 50 years please and less appearances on US talkshows (and more UK gigs)

This! :nod:

Personally, I watched the Grammys and the Brits, and even Coldplay aside, I thought the Brits were much better, I enjoyed lots of performances, as opposed to the Grammys that were kind of a pain in the ass :sick:

Though I agree that Blur kinda sucked (for the 2-3 first songs). But otherwise it was a great ceremony :)

You're right in terms of artists . Of course the Brits had Adele and Coldplay - both of which I adore.

My remark was directed at the presentation and organisation, not Coldplay winning/ not winning or the acts themselves.

The Brits was a shambles in its presentation and production and the US put us to shame (although I agree the acts on the BRITS were better)

Well as a Uk fan I feel a little miffed (and patronised by this remark). The world doesn't revolve around the US you know!

The UK has Coldplay fans too you know and each and every tour we're lucky if we get 5-10 shows in the Coldplay tour.

The Olympics is an important part of UK events in 2012, and whilst I realise the US is a much bigger country with 5x the population of the UK, we're getting a rough ratio even considering that.

So yes, Coldplay at the biggest event for the UK in the last 50 years please and less appearances on US talkshows (and more UK gigs)

Please don't start up with the "Coldplay dont play in UK enough" complaint again. How many shows did they play in the UK/Europe last year? Festivals and the December arena tour? Over 20, I think. How many US shows did they do? 3 festivals, one benefit concert and one tv show concert (ACL taping to a very small audience).

That assumes that the organizers even requested they appear at the olympics, which is nothing more than rumor at this point.

Please don't start up with the "Coldplay dont play in UK enough" complaint again. How many shows did they play in the UK/Europe last year? Festivals and the December arena tour? Over 20, I think. How many US shows did they do? 3 festivals, one benefit concert and one tv show concert (ACL taping to a very small audience).

Heck even UK bands (at least at the arena level) that don't approach the worldwide popularity of Coldplay don't mount UK tours with that many more gigs than they do.

Hold up, wait a minute!

On July 27th (Opening Ceremony) they play in Montreal which is in CANADA.

Now I know US and Canada are neighbours but we are two different countries.

US and UK should be so lucky, that they get so many shows. Coldplay come to Canada once every 3 years it seems.

They came to Toronto once last year for a mini-outdoor free concert and I think that covers their entire promo in Canada. (there may have been something else, but I can't recall it)

So its not even about the US and UK (and you guys get a fair amount of shows), its about Montreal and them touring Canada once every 3 years.

And let's be real, this is the Olympics, not the Grammys, no one really cares about musical performances. This is about the athletes and about sports.

About Michael Phelps, and the star of the Olympics, Usain Bolt.

All in all, Coldplay playing one or two songs at the opening or closing ceremonies is not that big of a deal.

Sincerely,

A Canadian.

Hold up, wait a minute!

On July 27th (Opening Ceremony) they play in Montreal which is in CANADA.

Now I know US and Canada are neighbours but we are two different countries.

US and UK should be so lucky, that they get so many shows. Coldplay come to Canada once every 3 years it seems.

They came to Toronto once last year for a mini-outdoor free concert and I think that covers their entire promo in Canada. (there may have been something else, but I can't recall it)

So its not even about the US and UK (and you guys get a fair amount of shows), its about Montreal and them touring Canada once every 3 years.

And let's be real, this is the Olympics, not the Grammys, no one really cares about musical performances. This is about the athletes and about sports.

About Michael Phelps, and the star of the Olympics, Usain Bolt.

All in all, Coldplay playing one or two songs at the opening or closing ceremonies is not that big of a deal.

Sincerely,

A Canadian.

Yeah, I live in the US, and I'm totally grateful for the shows we get, and the ones I've been to. There are some countries that the band has yet to visit, with thousands of fans that beg them to come every year. If you're lucky enough to go to a Coldplay show, enjoy it guys! A lot of people have never--and maybe will never --get that opportunity! :(

(Even though I wish every fan could see them live at least once! It's a truly amazing experience!)

Yeah, I live in the US, and I'm totally grateful for the shows we get, and the ones I've been to. There are some countries that the band has yet to visit, with thousands of fans that beg them to come every year. If you're lucky enough to go to a Coldplay show, enjoy it guys! A lot of people have never--and maybe will never --get that opportunity! :(

(Even though I wish every fan could see them live at least once! It's a truly amazing experience!)

Yes, but there are also regions of the U.S. as big, if not bigger, than some of those countries that they band have never played, so it's not really an apples to apples comparison. I have friends in Europe that have an easier time getting to gigs in neighboring countries than some of my friends here do getting to a gig.

Then you better find out why those in charge of the Olympics haven't included Coldplay in their programming. The North American tour was just announced. I doubt they'd be in Montreal if they were invited to the Olympics.

The world also doesn't revolve around the UK you know! Coldplay is an international band these days.

Yes, they did quite a lot of US talk shows, but they were promoting an album! Nothing wrong with that. And don't forget about the UK TV appearances (and they also did one in France if I remember correctly).

And I think you shouldn't compare population size to how many gigs they're playing in a country. Ever looked at the population size of China?

Then you better find out why those in charge of the Olympics haven't included Coldplay in their programming. The North American tour was just announced. I doubt they'd be in Montreal if they were invited to the Olympics.

Maybe they don't want to play at the Olympics, just a thought.

Maybe they don't want to play at the Olympics, just a thought.

Yeah, that has crossed my mind as well though I find it hard to believe only b/c Chris has said the objective is to get Coldplay's music exposed to as many people as possible. What better occasion than the Olympics in their home country. OTOH, the Olympics haven't been that big in the US for the past few years.

Anyway, I've emailed Debs Wild. Who knows if she'll ever answer?

Yeah, that has crossed my mind as well though I find it hard to believe only b/c Chris has said the objective is to get Coldplay's music exposed to as many people as possible. What better occasion than the Olympics in their home country. OTOH, the Olympics haven't been that big in the US for the past few years.

Anyway, I've emailed Debs Wild. Who knows if she'll ever answer?

The Olympics are still a huge event all around the world, whether US people watch it or not.

The Olympics are still a huge event all around the world, whether US people watch it or not.

By most objective measures (tv viewership, revenue) the olympics have been decreasing in popularity for some time now.

Yes, but there are also regions of the U.S. as big, if not bigger, than some of those countries that they band have never played, so it's not really an apples to apples comparison. I have friends in Europe that have an easier time getting to gigs in neighboring countries than some of my friends here do getting to a gig.

For some silly reason, this reminds me of Chris answering a question about his favorite city in the US. The Shilo Inn in Boise, Idaho. I listen to that gig, I know it's coming, yet it always cracks me up.:laugh3:

And? Show me where I've said otherwise.

Sure, I mean that, sur, it's always great exposure to have US audience watching, but if not, there's still the rest of the world.

And even if there's indeed a worldwide decrease, as fakfak (sorry I don't know your name) pointed out, I'm sure the Olympics are still a major event.

Anyway.

Sure, I mean that, sur, it's always great exposure to have US audience watching, but if not, there's still the rest of the world.

And even if there's indeed a worldwide decrease, as fakfak (sorry I don't know your name) pointed out, I'm sure the Olympics are still a major event.

Anyway.

Again, where did I say otherwise? We're not in disagreement. I don't know why this is turning into US and the rest of the world.

• 4 weeks later...

AS FOR ME

I absolutely agree that Blur will close the Olympics. Maybe it will seem strange for people who are not acquainted with their music but for UK (and for me although i am not British) they're a symbol of Great Britain, they really made a great contribution to music, they are the legends.

Times change, music also, and Blur now are a bit another than some years ago, but never the less people respect them for their songs! Not saying about Damon Albarn who is absolutely a genius.

Coldplay will always be my favorite band in everyhing (*Blur is the second haha) but this ceremony is another thing and i think Blur as no one else deserve it! Hope we will see Coldplay some time there too)

So, that's my point.

/// P.S. anyone is going to Blur concert on 12 August?) ///

Well, here's one person they asked to perform.....

Who Drummer Keith Moon Asked To Perform At Olympics Ceremony -- 34 Years After His Death

The Who sang "Won't Get Fooled Again," but apparently organizers of this summer's London Olympics didn't get the memo.

Recently, they approached The Who's manager, Bill Curbishley, to see if the group's legendary bad boy drummer Keith Moon would be available to perform.

Problem is, Moon died in 1978 from an accidental overdose of prescription medicine.

Curbishley said he made sure to answer the request in a timely fashion.

"I emailed back saying Keith now resides in Golders Green crematorium, having lived up to The Who's anthemic line 'I hope I die before I get old,'" Curbishley told Metro.co.uk. "If they have a round table, some glasses and candles, we might contact him."

There was speculation last year The Who would be performing, but nothing has been confirmed, Spinner reported.

Considering Moon's current state, it's unlikely he would show, but Buzz60 correspondent Gillian Pennsavalle wonders if the Olympics organizers are exploring other options.

"What's next?" she asked. "Asking John Lennon to perform?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/12/keith-moon-olympics-the-who_n_1421627.html

AS FOR ME

I absolutely agree that Blur will close the Olympics. Maybe it will seem strange for people who are not acquainted with their music but for UK (and for me although i am not British) they're a symbol of Great Britain, they really made a great contribution to music, they are the legends.

Times change, music also, and Blur now are a bit another than some years ago, but never the less people respect them for their songs! Not saying about Damon Albarn who is absolutely a genius.

Coldplay will always be my favorite band in everyhing (*Blur is the second haha) but this ceremony is another thing and i think Blur as no one else deserve it! Hope we will see Coldplay some time there too)

So, that's my point.

/// P.S. anyone is going to Blur concert on 12 August?) ///

I don't know that they're quite that iconic. They're not even the most iconic band of the brit pop generation (though they're undoubtedly close to the top.) I think they probably just wanted to add a britpop band to the bill, and Blur is the only one still together.:rolleyes:

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/adele-coldplay-to-mime-at-olympic-concerts_1316815

Adele, Coldplay To Mime At Olympic Concerts?

It's been confirmed that musicians performing at the special Olympic concerts in the summer will in fact be miming to backing tracks. A spokesperson for the London 2012 Organising Committee (Locog) told music website the Nme "There are elements that will be pre-recorded, but much of the show will be live." It's odd news, and perhaps disappointing for many, although the nature of the performers hasn't been revealed yet and so any grumblings would likely be confined to any bands booked for the show.

It's been rumoured for weeks that this might end up being the eventuality, and the reasons behind it are thought to be to do with the inconsistent British summertime weather and the size and shape of the Olympic stadium. Sound tests were conducted at the venue and its bowl-shaped design meant that the sound was swamped with microphone feedback.

The gigs will take place on July 27th and August 12th, with the likes of The Who, Adele and Coldplay all rumoured to be playing. Of course the other big gig taking place in London to mark the end of the Olympics will also fall on August 12th and will feature Blur playing possibly their final ever gig as they headline a Hyde Park bill that features New Order and The Specials among others.