✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is it just me...

I also think that since january it's a bit boring, with nothing really exciting about our favourite band.

But now, with the MX tour, I'm sure things will speed up, with new played live songs, crazy gigs experiences to speak of and perhaps an EP.

"Just be patient and don't worry"

I also think that since january it's a bit boring, with nothing really exciting about our favourite band.

Charlie Brown video

Jimmy Kimmel show performance

MusiCares - We Can Work It Out

Grammys performance

Brit Awards performance

Brit Award for Best British Group

Announcement of the North American support acts

GMA performance

Secret Policeman Ball performance

Announcement of the European support acts

Australia announcement

Princess Of China video shoot

and

4 Roadie #42 blogs and interviews with Jason Regler, Mat Whitecross and Paris

And that's not exciting?

They haven't even announced dates for Australia and it's been 1-2 months since the "ok we're going there sometime in the year"

I think people are getting a bit antsy for live performances after 2 months of only promo appearances

They haven't even announced dates for Australia and it's been 1-2 months since the "ok we're going there sometime in the year"

The Herald Sun wrote on 24 March that the dates would be announced next month. I guess we can expect an announcement between now and 16 days :P

Hello :)

I'm new here and I thought I will write my first posting here!

Welcome on Coldplaying! :nice:

Ok, here's how I see it:

After X&Y, there was absolutely no one telling us what was going to happen until in 2007, they launched that timeline website which was great because they kept adding new things to it and everytime a little star in 2007/08 came on, you knew it was going to be about the album. Prospekt wrote about it with honesty and great expectation. You could immediately feel his giddiness. Then, after months and months Violet Hill came out which was absolutely different than anything they'd done before, but just as brilliant as well. Then the video came out, the songs, one by one, Death will never Conquer, Lost?, A Spell a Rebel Yell, LIT instrumental...that whole period was one of unbelievable excitement, and then they added some massive tour dates all around the world. The album was brilliant as well when it came out, it was supported with at least some b-sides or live versions on singles (apart from Strawberry Swing)! Then only five months after the album release, the EP came out, and then Lhuna, then The Goldrush in Feb, then the live album 'LeftRightLeftRightLeft.'

EVERY LITTLE THING WAS PLANNED TO PERFECTION!

What do we have from this era? Ok the festivals were a great idea in my opinion, Every Teardrop video, the song...inch perfect! Raising expectation maybe wasn't. Everyone thought Coldplay had come up with another Viva which would have been great if it was, but it wasn't!

The album's fine, I like it and play it often (although I don't know why the interludes are there at all, don't really fit I think) but this era has had a lot less music to offer and also fewer tour dates. Maybe there will be an EP - I hope. Plus there's no C-stage, perhaps for logistic reasons but anyone who's gone to a concert will know the difference between being 200 yards away from the action or being at the front.

Also, one of the best songs of the era, has gone on to a short three track EP, when it might have even been a single. Moving to Mars is genuinely a great song acknowledged by many fans and it hasn't had the promotion it deserved.

It's a shame because even though Charlie Brown is getting a lot of attention this song isn't as good as what they've done before, and neither is Princess of China.

I love the general look of the era, even if it's only an update from Viva. But it just doesn't feel as good. Just how I see it.

This era was going fine up until they screwed up with the whole Charlie Brown situation. Now it just seems like they don't have a clue what they're doing. Hopefully once they go back on tour in a few days things will be a bit more interesting.

Agreed, every week or two they'd be on TV or there would be new pics of the music video from Charlie Brown so that'd keep us going, but after the video kinda sucked things went downhill.

This era was going fine up until they screwed up with the whole Charlie Brown situation. Now it just seems like they don't have a clue what they're doing. Hopefully once they go back on tour in a few days things will be a bit more interesting.

They know exactly what they're doing. CB is the third single from this campaign and was NEVER going to have the impact of the pre-release singles. People here expect WAY, WAY to much out of things sometimes.

The marketing for CB has definitely been botched. I see it as a song that can be MUCH more universally liked than ETIAW or Paradise (as good as those are too, both musically and on the radio).

Ok, here's how I see it:

After X&Y, there was absolutely no one telling us what was going to happen until in 2007, they launched that timeline website which was great because they kept adding new things to it and everytime a little star in 2007/08 came on, you knew it was going to be about the album. Prospekt wrote about it with honesty and great expectation. You could immediately feel his giddiness. Then, after months and months Violet Hill came out which was absolutely different than anything they'd done before, but just as brilliant as well. Then the video came out, the songs, one by one, Death will never Conquer, Lost?, A Spell a Rebel Yell, LIT instrumental...that whole period was one of unbelievable excitement, and then they added some massive tour dates all around the world. The album was brilliant as well when it came out, it was supported with at least some b-sides or live versions on singles (apart from Strawberry Swing)! Then only five months after the album release, the EP came out, and then Lhuna, then The Goldrush in Feb, then the live album 'LeftRightLeftRightLeft.'

EVERY LITTLE THING WAS PLANNED TO PERFECTION!

What do we have from this era? Ok the festivals were a great idea in my opinion, Every Teardrop video, the song...inch perfect! Raising expectation maybe wasn't. Everyone thought Coldplay had come up with another Viva which would have been great if it was, but it wasn't!

The album's fine, I like it and play it often (although I don't know why the interludes are there at all, don't really fit I think) but this era has had a lot less music to offer and also fewer tour dates. Maybe there will be an EP - I hope. Plus there's no C-stage, perhaps for logistic reasons but anyone who's gone to a concert will know the difference between being 200 yards away from the action or being at the front.

Also, one of the best songs of the era, has gone on to a short three track EP, when it might have even been a single. Moving to Mars is genuinely a great song acknowledged by many fans and it hasn't had the promotion it deserved.

It's a shame because even though Charlie Brown is getting a lot of attention this song isn't as good as what they've done before, and neither is Princess of China.

I love the general look of the era, even if it's only an update from Viva. But it just doesn't feel as good. Just how I see it.

This.

If they ever release MTM, UATW...................or a ATH-DLIBYH-UWTB double A-side as singles...then I'd have a lot more faith in the marketing side of Coldplay. (although I think the beginning of MTM would have to be changed to make it more radio friendly)

ETIAW and Paradise were pretty solid in the context of making cool stuff happen in the CP world. But now with the ambivalence over CB and POC...it's created kind of a depression.

I'm optimistic the tour will bring things up...and hopefully they'll pick up the pieces and make CB a full blown single with B-sides.

And an 8 song EP would make my life...I would even be happy if they put MTM on there again just so that song gets the exposure it deserves.

The marketing for CB has definitely been botched. I see it as a song that can be MUCH more universally liked than ETIAW or Paradise (as good as those are too, both musically and on the radio).

This.

If they ever release MTM, UATW...................or a ATH-DLIBYH-UWTB double A-side as singles...then I'd have a lot more faith in the marketing side of Coldplay. (although I think the beginning of MTM would have to be changed to make it more radio friendly)

ETIAW and Paradise were pretty solid in the context of making cool stuff happen in the CP world. But now with the ambivalence over CB and POC...it's created kind of a depression.

I'm optimistic the tour will bring things up...and hopefully they'll pick up the pieces and make CB a full blown single with B-sides.

And an 8 song EP would make my life...I would even be happy if they put MTM on there again just so that song gets the exposure it deserves.

It has nothing to do with with the perceived quality of one song vs the other. Paradise and ETIAWF were pre-release singles released in an atmosphere of pre-release hype, CB is not. There was no "marketing" that would've greatly altered the reception that CB recieved as a single. There are no pieces to pick up as you say, because things are going fine. The band is about to embark on a major tour with sales figures that already look to be the best of their career. I doubt they care if they're on the radio or not.

It has nothing to do with with the perceived quality of one song vs the other. Paradise and ETIAWF were pre-release singles released in an atmosphere of pre-release hype, CB is not. There was no "marketing" that would've greatly altered the reception that CB recieved as a single. There are no pieces to pick up as you say, because things are going fine. The band is about to embark on a major tour with sales figures that already look to be the best of their career. I doubt they care if they're on the radio or not.

Yeah, I agree with you.

If CB had been the second single and Paradise the third, we would be saying the same thing about Paradise. I guess we feel this way because CB is generally viewed as the better song, but as you said, it all has to do with release and hype.

Same thing in the VLV era where LiJ and Lost flopped commercially, but no one really dashed an eyelid because it didn't really matter.

Coldplay aren't and never were a singles band (like Rihanna, Katy Perry, Bruno Mars etc) where they have to release single after single to sell their album. They sell albums based on the totality of their work and by having a loyal fanbase.

The only way for them to have 'marketed' CB would be if they went on more talk shows and talent shows to promote the single. I highly doubt they would do that again (That's a main reason why Paradise went to Number 1).

Sure, they could have had a proper release date for CB and been more clear about it, but in the end, I doubt it would have mattered.

CB will be a Coldplay-staple in the long-term and now its time for PoC.

Also, in terms of B-sides, you previously mentioned that they are becoming increasingly rare and I agree with you as I don't expect any to be released.

I do, however, expect an EP to be released.

(One small note: you mentioned that their sales figures are the best of their career. AROBTTH was their commercial peak and they won't get anywhere near that with MX, but MX is doing great relative to the current climate of the sales market.)

I was talking about live sales, not album sales. According to Pollstar and other analysts, advance demand for Coldplay Tickets (at least in north america) is higher than it's ever been. I believe their UK/Europe stadium tour has also met with exceptional demand. Since that's where big bands make virtually all of their money now anyway, that's probably a truer measure of success/popularity.

I think the problem is that the only thing that's really changed since the Viva era is the album. Sure everything's got a coat of paint and whatever, but it's essentially the same thing.

The Viva era was a revolution for the band, when they brought out the costumes, painted instruments, Roadie 42, the Oracle, Anchorman, detailed album artwork and interesting themes.

Here, nothing's new, it's just been adapted for the new album.

That's an interesting point, actually. I hadn't ever thought of MX like that, but it makes sense now that you say that. All of Coldplay's albums have been significantly different from each other (from indie to alternative to rock to pop-rock), but all they really did to transition from Viva to MX was add another layer of synths and effects.

Plus, Viva is miles better than MX both lyrically and musically. :nod:

Guest howyousawtheworld
Yeah, I feel the same way... I don't even listen to the new album anymore :confused:

Hmmm. Indeed.

Where the likes of A Rush Of Blood To The Head and Viva La Vida were like fine wines in that they seemed to get better as each month and year went on Mylo Xyloto on the other hand seems to have had the lifespan of a bottle of milk. Like yourselves it has been ages since I listened to the album and I'm in no rush at all to listen to it again. Such a shame. I really think it's their weakest album yet.

It's done one good thing though - it's made me rekindle my love for X&Y!

Hmmm. Indeed.

Where the likes of A Rush Of Blood To The Head and Viva La Vida were like fine wines in that they seemed to get better as each month and year went on Mylo Xyloto on the other hand seems to have had the lifespan of a bottle of milk. Like yourselves it has been ages since I listened to the album and I'm in no rush at all to listen to it again. Such a shame. I really think it's their weakest album yet.

It's done one good thing though - it's made me rekindle my love for X&Y!

That's an interesting point. Perhaps you're perception of how much "excitement" this era has (or doesn't) has to do with how much you like the album. I don't think that accounts for all of it though, as MX has actually outsold VLVODAAHF through it's comprable point of release. But yeah, if you think MX is their weakest album I can see how that would sort of drain the excitement out of everything else.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but yeah the viva era was a lot more exciting with all the roadie #42 videos and blogs im hoping.. HOPING! they do that when the actual tour begins but as of right now this era is pree boring

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but yeah the viva era was a lot more exciting with all the roadie #42 videos and blogs im hoping.. HOPING! they do that when the actual tour begins but as of right now this era is pree boring

There were R42 entries during the period of time last year when the band were doing appearences/promotion. They can't blog when nothing's going on. We'll probably get plenty of updates once there's something to actually update people on.

Yeah it's been a bit dull lately, but with the break they took after Christmas and prep for the tour they probably haven't had much extra time. Be patient people, this era isn't even a year old yet. :P

Yeah. I at least actually listen to Christmas Lights since the era began. I also don't listen to MX too much but there are those moments every day where playing it seems appropriate. My only hope is for something to happen, I'm patient for what Coldplay still hasn't given us and I hope it's gosh darn good. :P

(BTW, idk why but I'm anticipating a very dark song as a future b-side in this era, a meaner song than Major Minus :sneaky:)

I think you are right. I never been so uninterested in coldplay! i still love them lots, but i just feel that mylo xyloto was not close to a good album for them, even though i do like all the songs on it! It was a big mistake that we knew most of the songs before the release. we where all so exited for it, like over a year before it came out. we needed to have never heard the songs before they came out.