✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Speed of Sound- Acoustic

mackemlad79

I actually love this acoustic version (it has this awesome nostalgia feeling!) and yesterday here in Portugal everyone was singing along and seemed to love it too. I also think it fits good on the setlist since after it comes Clocks and this two songs one after the other would look too similar.

I actually love this acoustic version (it has this awesome nostalgia feeling!) and yesterday here in Portugal everyone was singing along and seemed to love it too. I also think it fits good on the setlist since after it comes Clocks and this two songs one after the other would look too similar.

my opinion :)

They don't see to enjoy playing the original one while this acoustic sounds much more relaxed. I' not a fan of the song but I like this version.

This is true :nod: Chris said on the Howard Stern interview that he liked the song originally but the band weren't happy with how it sounded on the album. Stern suggested that they try finding a version of it that they were happy to play, so I guess they enjoy playing this version better :)

• 3 weeks later...

I love the live version they played during the X&Y era, but I'm also totally in love with this acoustic version, and I'm so glad the song is back on the setlist! :awesome:

I don't know if it'll last enough so they play it on September 2, though.

I love the live version they played during the X&Y era, but I'm also totally in love with this acoustic version, and I'm so glad the song is back on the setlist! :awesome:

I don't know if it'll last enough so they play it on September 2, though.

When we spoke with Chris on May 4, it was just 2 days after they'd played it for the first time on C-stage. We told him that we were happy to hear it, and he said it was a "bit shaky" and weren't sure they were going to keep it. I told him I thought it was beautiful, and he thanked me :wacky: I'm glad they've decided to keep it.

• 7 months later...

To be honest .. i didn't like the old version of speed of sound .. but when i heard them live doing this song i was surprised .. And this is how it is supposed to be in the first place ..

I hope they do a studio recording of this new version of speed of sound

You know, people might disagree, but I personally think SoS was the main reason Coldplay went from aspiring band that could do no wrong to U2 "copiers". Critics are like sharks. Even at the hint of blood, they go all out. When you had the similar melodies of Clocks and SoS, it really put a damper on the album. It was the lead single, after all. It's like a birthday party, where the same friend give you two huge gifts, then he gives you the same gift again, but only in a lower quality the next time. You get disapointed. Now imagine an acoustic version of SoS. It couldn't have been the lead single, but I think it would have made a great third single. Put Fix You as he lead single or Talk and X&Y I think would be more critically acclaimed.

kingzilla kind of touched on this, but having studio versions of clocks and speed of sound in the same concert just feels redundant. As far as the up and down flow of a setlist, they play the same role. SOS was the low of the Viva tour for me because it was 2 or 3 songs after Clocks, as a result it didn't really keep my interest.