✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

THE REAL ANSWERS ABOUT PLAYBACK

Dannyrobertsonviva

I wont lie. I'm pissed off with the amount of threads about Coldplay's use of playback which give out wrong information! I want to give you the facts and give you all a better understanding of how it works and why they use playback. Lets start with the song viva la vida and I will go through some of the most asked about.

The strings in this song aren't played live they are in the playback mix . How ever Jonny isn't miming anything when playing the keyboard! he is playing over the main riff of viva with the same tack piano sound used in lovers in japan. Listen closely to live performances and you should notice. The reason the strings aren't live is because they couldn't be replicated on the keyboard even using the best samples you an get. Not only this, the songs string track has many different parts for 1 man to play live. Also and orchestral section like many of you have suggested would be unrealistic to take on tour and onto every live performance and HARD TO MIX :embarrassed:

Charlie Brown- There isn't vast amounts of playback in this song to be honest but still it is there. Behind Jonny's guitar line on the song you will hear what is called a hammered dulcimer in the playback mix (I'm sick of saying playback) the dulcimer was played by Matt McGinn on the record. This obviously is sometimes more recognisable in some shows depending on the mix. You can also hear chris voice sped up at the start and in the middle, this is not live. Apart from various other small synth parts that is charlie brown. Oh and anyone saying jon mimes the guitar.......you are wrong :P

Fix you-All I have to say is Chris is playing the piano with an organ sound via midi, he is not miming. Near the end of the song there is some playback organ (tears stream bit) but he plays over the top when he does sit down. Apart from some strings and back up vocals that is that.

Lost-I'm going to keep this short many of you think guy is miming WRONG he is playing over the top of the playback drums, the reason there is playback drums is because 1-he comes off them at some point 2-it gives the mix more bang. The organ is playback jonny plays over the top at the start.

I'm really tired so I can't be botherd to write any more :sneaky: so now I will tell you the reason coldplay uses playback is 1-Because it is impractical for some parts to be played live 2-It gives the mix more BANG 3-Record lables ask you to sound as much like your recorded songs as you can when you reach a high level of success (thank you my sister who told me that from working at EMI) this does not always have to be done . 4-Its coldplay and they can do what they like and we still love them :D

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo sorry for the long post but I needed to get that out. ps roadie 42's job is playback and keyboards :L

Just so people know I have no problem with playback at all.

I do not see any problems with playback and I also do not believe in mimes (among Coldplay).

Except on this performance in which I don't believe Guy is singing live AT ALL (after the first chorus(?))

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LwqTtZuQ9A]Coldplay - Chinese Sleep Chant (live) - YouTube[/ame]

I do not see any problems with playback and I also do not believe in mimes (among Coldplay).

Except on this performance in which I don't believe Guy is singing live AT ALL (after the first chorus(?))

looks like he is just singing over the top of some pre-recorded vocals which are done by Chris.

ffs why does this happen. Just go -_- why did you even bother coming onto this thread?

I came

to tell you

that I think your expertise and smart rebuttal is

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_GUvIGMhCk]Cool Beans Gangsta Rap - YouTube[/ame]

I was shocked to find out your a woman :L

I don't see how that is shocking

She wants you!;)

ASSUMPTIONS YEAH

that goes for lots of people on these forums they say what they like because they can :)

well yeah, internet in general