✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Oasis vs. Blur

Til_Kingdom_Come

Brent you comment on things just to bring everyone down. I don't care what post it is. When I see the last post in a thread is by you I don't even click it. If you have nothing to add to the conversation other then being sarcastic or trolling just don't comment. I understand in this case you don't like either band - fine- but saying "I can't decide who's more overrated", that's just unnessisary. You're not just posting your opinion, you're trying to get people angry and you know it. It's every post you make I swear. You're trying to get on people's nerves and you succeed. You're always going on about your "opinions" and how your entitled to think what you want. Well guess what, so am I, and my opinion is that you need to grow up. I'm sorry man but I'm getting pretty sick of it. If you have nothing better to do then argue I suggest you take it elsewhere, because I'm sure there are a lot of other people on this forum who are sick of it as well.

Woah woah WOAH there, buddy! Hold your horses.

I'm a pretty nice guy. I'm legitimately not trying to get anyone angry, I just do not fit in the mold of what you consider to be an ideal member: I don't blend into the misinformed blind fandom that saturates every corner of the forum. I look at work objectively, and am not suckered into the mass acceptance of shitty lyricism and bad songwriting shrouded in a catchy, tacky chorus. I'm being honest as to what my opinion is, and I think that's pretty respectable.

Just because I don't fit in with you doesn't mean I'm trying to piss you off. Isn't that the rationale behind racism/misogyny/homophobia? Being different, having a different opinion, and being bullied for it?

Yikes. Simmer it down. You're the rude ones, not me. All I said was that they're overrated: One opinion in a sea of them. Put me on your ignore list or something! Sheesh. Sorry I'm such a detriment on your life. Perhaps you should step away from the computer. All I am to you is text on a screen. Don't let it get to you.

Woah woah WOAH there, buddy! Hold your horses.

I'm a pretty nice guy. I'm legitimately not trying to get anyone angry, I just do not fit in the mold of what you consider to be an ideal member: I don't blend into the misinformed blind fandom that saturates every corner of the forum. I look at work objectively, and am not suckered into the mass acceptance of shitty lyricism and bad songwriting shrouded in a catchy, tacky chorus. I'm being honest as to what my opinion is, and I think that's pretty respectable.

Just because I don't fit in with you doesn't mean I'm trying to piss you off. Isn't that the rationale behind racism/misogyny/homophobia? Being different, having a different opinion, and being bullied for it?

Yikes. Simmer it down. You're the rude ones, not me. All I said was that they're overrated: One opinion in a sea of them. Put me on your ignore list or something! Sheesh. Sorry I'm such a detriment on your life. Perhaps you should step away from the computer. All I am to you is text on a screen. Don't let it get to you.

If that's true okay. I just sometimes really feel like your egging people on. My mistake if that's not your intention.

If that's true okay. I just sometimes really feel like your egging people on. My mistake if that's not your intention.

I'll egg people on in the Coldplay section by saying Chris Martin has "Car Kids" tattooed on the inside of his colon, but if people actually get flustered over that, that's their problem.

I thought the WoM section, by definition, is more open-minded to critical viewpoints instead of just happy-go-lucky praise (i.e. last year's WoM Coldplay discussion), but I guess I was wrong.

Oh God forbid I have a real opinion that they're both mediocre bands. Naturally if I can't heap praise on them, I'm trolling.

Through my eyes (my opinion), the question is kind of like: Would you rather put bull shit or dog shit in your ears? To me, it doesn't it really matter. I'm expressing my opinion, and Coldplaying is an excellent forum for that.

Your job is to understand that people who don't agree with you, people that won't lick Chris Martin's, the Gallaghers', and Damon Albarn's butthole all in one go; exist on this forum. And they are just as entitled to post here as you, and you should respect it.

I think what annoyed me in criticizing my comments is that it was lame. Plus, if they are "overrated" like the dude above me says, someone likes them. They're rated well. You can do better than that. Prove me wrong, tell me why I shouldn't think Oasis is a bad band. Or be witty or something. I'm bored.

I have no problem with your opinion, Brent. I have no problem with anyone's opinion on this forum, and I don't see why this is an issue that has to be raised, because frankly, I don't think I need my respect for people questioned. If someone has a problem with me, they should raise it, as someone did the other day. I apologised, for any offence caused, but stuck to my opinion, and the guy stuck to his. "Just cause you're offended, doesn't mean you're right."

My comment was written to suggest that perhaps you are just as irrelevant as them. Maybe you haven't seen how people see you, yet; perhaps you piss people off. Perhaps some people see you as a troll, and not a paragon of fine music taste or a beacon of strength in your beliefs.

And that's not my opinion. My opinion is that you're well-informed. Funny at times. Hell, lots of times. It's my opinion that you're one of the more intellectual people on this forum. You know it. It's also my opinion that both bands changed the musical landscape of my country for better, and I'm proud of that. It's my opinion that Blur and Oasis should be celebrated, because why should something be overrated when it meant so, so much, to so, so many?

But hey, when did my opinion matter or mean something? Because when you say things like "Prove me wrong", "Be witty or something", tell me what my job is, tell me I should have respect for people... that doesn't feel good. That's condescending, patronising, as if I'm less than you, or you're a higher authority than me.

Have your opinion, and stay true to it. Just... don't talk down to me, please.

Why be a fan of chart music today when there are such great bands out there?

I've said it before, I'll say it again, music is not about division, it's about unification, inclusion

These two points are contradictory to me. How can you unify and include music if you're frowning upon mainstream music?

The thing is, ~20 years ago, there were people who thought Blur and Oasis were mediocre chart music and yearned for music made 20 years before then. And it's just a cycle that goes on and on and on. It's a whole culture in the musical world to look at the past with rose-colored glasses and it really sucks because it means that very, very few people can actually open themselves up to all kind of music without any bias.

I'm not saying you're not a 'real' music lover if you don't like Justin Bieber, Carly Rae Jepsen, etc. but to disregard popular music as a whole is insanity.

I hope it doesn't look like I'm antagonizing you or anything, I'm really not :sad:

bla bla everyone's angry

Just a heads-up: if someone is saying something that irritates you, just ignore them. Completely ignore them. It has a greater effect than riling both sides up (though this was a pretty funny read)

I'm just gonna comment on this though because it's too good to be true:

shitty lyricism and bad songwriting shrouded in a catchy, tacky chorus

You do realize you're on a Coldplay fansite, right?

Haha

yeeeeeahhhhhh

I'll still contend that wa wa wa wa waterfall is better than Wonderwaaaaaahhhall. I can't stand that song.

I think I just decided on Blur because I just remembered that Wonderwall is a thing that happened to us in the 90's.

These two points are contradictory to me. How can you unify and include music if you're frowning upon mainstream music?

The thing is, ~20 years ago, there were people who thought Blur and Oasis were mediocre chart music and yearned for music made 20 years before then. And it's just a cycle that goes on and on and on. It's a whole culture in the musical world to look at the past with rose-colored glasses and it really sucks because it means that very, very few people can actually open themselves up to all kind of music without any bias.

I'm not saying you're not a 'real' music lover if you don't like Justin Bieber, Carly Rae Jepsen, etc. but to disregard popular music as a whole is insanity.

I hope it doesn't look like I'm antagonizing you or anything, I'm really not :sad:

Just a heads-up: if someone is saying something that irritates you, just ignore them. Completely ignore them. It has a greater effect than riling both sides up (though this was a pretty funny read)

I'm just gonna comment on this though because it's too good to be true:

I get that, and when I say chart music, obviously I don't mean everything. I don't think that if something's number 1 it's obviously a pile of shit, it was more an attack on the likes of Flo Rida, will.i.am and the like, who I doubt I'll ever look back on with rose-tinted glasses. They weren't even my words, I was quoting a friend. But I'm pretty sure he agrees with me.

No one's antagonising me, don't worry. Just it's a bit irritating when I'm clearly being patronised, for whatever reason, and then being told to have respect for people. Trying to be nice to all sides, here.