✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mixtape Exchange XIV CLOSED! XVI coming soon!!! Very soon!

DiOli05

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so since Maple went MIA, I offered to review Paula's mixtape, and I am glad I did, it was amazing! She really put work into it! It has lovely Maple leaves as the artwork, and the album name is For Maple. Most of the songs are soft beats, and there are some that rock pretty hard.

I have been listening to it this whole past week, and the first days after I got it, I listened to it at least three times a day lol

Awww thanks so much for reviewing it and for saying such lovely things about it. I did put a bit of work into getting it just right so it's nice it was appreciated :)

1. Has an unexpected beginning! and then a man starts singing. It has an upbeat background, but the way he sings is very soft, and the music slow downs with him in the chorus. It is a song that definitively catches your attention! No clue of who it is!

Very ambient, sort of semi-electronic stuff, the band's called North Atlantic Oscillation and they're different from the usual indie-rock-fare I usually go for. The album's great, totally recommend it.

Soft Coda ~ North Atlantic Oscillation

2. Slow song! Soft voice. I think all of the singers in the mixtape were males... I really really liked this one. It is very relaxing... It has a soft beat, and the lyrics are lovely. The chorus is just them saying "Aaaahhh aaaahhh", but the way it goes with the music makes it amazing! It kind of stops for a little bit, and then it goes back to the choir, to end.

By The Sea - a new band that are reasonably local to me, from the Liverpool area, they quite literally live 'by the sea' lol. The vocal's are really soft and 'breath-y' (dunno how else to describe it)

So Long, So Far ~ By The Sea

3. His voice sounds so strange at the beginning lol. It has more guitars and strong drums, making it more upbeat and fun to listen to! I cannot really make up most of the words... the solo is pretty amazing though. It does not do anything wild, but instead just keeps going in that upbeat way.

They are pretty strange. This is Pond, who share band members with Tame Impala - Aussie psychedelia. Modern band but they sound like they're from the 60s/70s.

Moth Wings ~ Pond

4. The "SUMMERING!" at the end is great. Could help to sing it every time. It starts with the guy's voice and piano, with a fast rhythm, and it is then accompanied by drums. Piano solo... and then the drums are back. The song continues in the same fashion, and it ends with a "summering" (or at least that is what i hear lol)

Haha Submarines not summering, although I agree it must be hard to get that if you don't know the trackname. I love this, it's a fun track, upbeat, kind of nonsense lyrics

Submarines ~ The Lumineers

5. This is a cover of "Maps", by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. This one has guitars on it only, though. Also it makes me think of Hawaii... lol. The way the guitar sounds, i guess. I am not really a fan of covers, so i do not have much to say... I guess it lacks the emotions behind the lyrics... it feels weird lol, I did like the solo at the end. It does not really sound like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs version.

Yep cover of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I don't actually like the original, I think this version is far more heartfelt and matches the emotion of the lyrics more, but then I did hear this version first, so that makes me biased haha. I love the pedal steel guitar on this, but then The Sand Band use a lot of pedal steel in such a beautiful way. Plus this is another Liverpool area band, connections with track 2 and track 6 - I listen to a lot of Scouse music

Maps (cover) ~ The Sand Band

6. Men singing in a choir-like fashion, accompanied by a guitar. Then you have drums in the choir, and it goes back to just them and the guitar chords, and it keeps going like that throughout the song. Then you have a bass coming on, playing in the "empty" spaces lol. It finishes with all of them playing together, giving it a nice ending. I really liked this one!

This is off the solo album of the drummer from my favourite band, The Coral. More of that Scouse music :) It's just really pretty chilled out psychedelic stuff

Nickel And A Dime ~ Ian Skelly

7. I love how this one starts! drums and guitar with a lovely rhythm! He has a nice calm voice, and the sound in the background reminds me of a whale call lol. As soon as he starts singing the song gets calmer, and goes back to more upbeat in the chorus. It goes like that till it ends. Loved it.

Local Natives - they are a wee bit bonkers, I think. Off their new album from earlier this year. American, kind of folky.

Breakers ~ Local Natives

8. Oh man! I know this voice. I am so sure. So SO sure! but I have no clue. I need to pay attention when I listen to music lol. I really enjoyed this song! It has a nice rhythm, makes you move your head from side to side. "Don't let them go" I really like the lyrics! It is kind of a sad song (my crying roommate kind of proves it...) but I loved it so much.

Dan Mangan. I love him, he has a great way with words. Another one with slightly mad lyrics - in a good way of course

Robots ~ Dan Mangan

9. This one has a Phoenix sound to it, but his voice does not seem familiar. The lyrics are so lovely! It is kind of romantic. The "Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh" in the chorus have the most moved part of the song, it is great.

Romantic is a good description. This band do a lot of kitchen-sink romanticism, kind of like The Smiths used to. They are a fairly newish band, second album in 2 or 3 years.

Afterglow ~ The Crookes

10. This is one reminds me of Gregorian chant... lol. It is men singing, accompanied by a repeating couple of guitar chords, then the main vocalist starts singing apart from everyone, and it is followed by an intense sound of guitars in the choir. It then goes back to calm, and it ends like that.

Absolutely in love with this song at the moment - it's gorgeous. American band Two Gallants, my brother got me into them but I've only heard the one album of theirs so far.

Decay ~ Two Gallants

11. This one has an old song feeling to it. Maybe I have heard it before and that is why... I do not recognize the voice though. Not much to say about this one, though.

Oldest track on the mixtape - off the solo album of The Stones Roses' guitarist, John Squire - the best guitarist to have ever lived in my humble opinion ;) Not such a great singer tho, I grant that lol - his voice is a bit gravelly. He's still a total legend tho

Time Changes Everything ~ John Squire

12. This is a slow, romantic song. Also has the old feeling to it. I love the chorus. "you got me where you want me..." I almost feel identified with it lol (</3). Really loved it. No clue of who sings it though.

Another beautiful one, it's the guitar that gets me on this one, the way he makes it sing, I love it.

Long Vows ~ Band of Horses

13. tambourine at the start, and then a guitar starts playing... then it is just the steady beat of the tambourine. Then a steady guitar rift on. His voice is really soft. The song has the same beat throughout, and every now and then there is a second guitar with a sharper sound. In the middle it turns to hard rock. it stops, and then goes back to the guitar rifts and the normal singing. Then it goes hard again and that is how it ends.

Long one, but the way it changes up and stops and starts makes it feel like different tracks. I think it goes well with the ambience of the first track, the two compliment each other and kind of 'bookend' the tape, in a way. This guy used to be in Supergrass - a 90s Britpop band, but his solo album is a really different direction

Universal Cinema ~ Gaz Coombes

14. Piano and a sad trumpet! jaja. Loved this one. It has a jazzy feeling to it. Then you have drums, and guitar, and slowly sounds start coming together, to then leave the piano by itself, to come back together again. Voices! high pitches in some parts. Lovely song. It is fun, and has sounds you are not really expecting! It was a great ending!

Just a fun, odd kind of bonus track, thought I throw in a curveball at the end ;) This band are a little bit crazy, hard to categorise, they use a lot weird instruments. Oh and it's sung in Welsh by the way - they just repeat the title. It means 'Goodbye everybody' - fitting end :)

Hwyl Fawr I Pawb ~ Gorky's Zygotic Mynci

Anyway, thanks again so much for stepping into Maple's shoes and taking over the review. You're a star ! :D

Tracklist: {track ~ artist}

Soft Coda ~ North Atlantic Oscillation

So Long, So Far ~ By The Sea

Moth Wings ~ Pond

Submarines ~ The Lumineers

Maps ~ The Sand Band

Nickel And A Dime ~ Ian Skelly

Breakers ~ Local Natives

Robots ~ Dan Mangan

Afterglow ~ The Crookes

Decay ~ Two Gallants

Time Changes Everything ~ John Squire

Long Vows ~ Band of Horses

Universal Cinema ~ Gaz Coombes

Hwyl Fawr I Pawb ~ Gorky's Zygotic Mynci

Mixtape link

Also, for those people still waiting on a review - I know how frustrating it can be so I'm totally up for reviewing one or more. Pm me if you want (if that's allowed) :D

Sure it is! I am on my last week of school, and then next week is finals week, so i would not have time to review. :(

In the meantime I gave dreamorlife's tape some spins. More than I had to, but that's a good thing I guess, hahaha!

At first glance I noticed the 20 numbers! And yeah, it’s more than 80 minutes long. Niiiiice.

The theme might have to do with travelling? I say that while looking at the artwork and some titles of the songs; first one nicely says bonjour and last one says goodbye. But that could also be a personal hello of the mixtape maker, rather than referring to a journey. Unless we go all metaphorical and the mixtape is like a journey through all kinds of music. Nice cover, it added to the feeling I got while listening to the tape. Is it self-made or did you look for it to fit the theme? (it looks very familiar to me, so I think it's not self-made)

In the cover there's a personal note to me, hahaha. I imagine this used to be one for RazorEye :angry:

1. I know this song. It is good for setting the mood of the tape, I think. I like that. It is chill and something that would be played in a nice club that I imagine myself in during a trip. But I am not a fan of the song, the trick with the high-up pitched voice is something I can't really handle. Beat is too loud for me as well, too dominant.

2. This is Moddi, I think. I never really got into his songs, but I have heard some of his work. It starts off with something that could be Sigur Rós-like, I mean the stuff from their last album then. Then he sings a very honest song. It’s sad.

3. Royksöpp. I like this. It is chill-out, kind of lounge like.

4. Django Django. I like their CD, but to the honest, this is the song of them I like the least :( It is the most poppy and catchy I guess, but I don’t like the default mumbles, which are like robotic. Too bad I let that ruin the song for me, because the beat is very nice, it’s uplifting and the guitars are nice.

5. Simple and cute song. Guy in love with a girl. Your singer-song writer song. “you are a radar detector” what?

6. Aaaah, nice start. Very lounge. Very relaxing. This is neat, it is not one of my favourite music styles, but this song I like. If I would do a three point system per song, this song would get three. It’s soooo nice. It’s like how I wish lounge would sound like.

7. Oh no, I think this is one of these artists that I don’t like. I don’t like it, sorry. When the guy goes all ‘heartbeat ringing out of MY CHEST’ ... no. The song is like what you would hear in a club, I imagine.

8. We’re still in the club. Another way. This sounds like the remix of the song. I’d like to hear the original version, I think it would be better than this remix. If this is not the remix, then I don’t understand why they made the song like this :S hahaha, eh yeah. Like the guitar is cute and nice, but seems out of place when it gets overruled by the remixing of ‘walkanotherway wa wak walkanotherway wa wak’

9. This is nice. Slow build-up, guitar coming in ... then a nice voice singing. Also a funny ‘kin-kin-kin’ like the guy is mumbling along with the music. Very nice singing. Funky bass. I like this song!

10. Hahaha, I know this song. Rap. The lyrics are ..... yeah well. A bit ridiculous. But that makes it funny. It’s an okay song though. I wouldn’t place it on my iPod (if I’d have one), but I kind of dig it. I also have to laugh about the part when he says ‘Go Play. Go play’ because at first I heard ‘Coldplay, coldplay’ :laugh4:

11. folk, this is very nice! Probably from The Hobbit soundtrack, the dwarf song, right? I never listened to the soundtrack, while I have that one of LotR and that one I have listened to endlessly. Maybe I should get the one from The Hobbit as well. They only sing, no instruments, but the bass voice makes it sound like an instrument to accompany the singing. I really like this song.

12. Nice guitar to start with. Then a girl singing. This reminds me of Blonde Redhead somehow, but it isn’t. She also reminds me somehow of Florence and the Machine. I like this song, it’s rocky, poppy and had weird twists, like halfway it suddenly becomes heavier or the beginning of the bridge where they go Nirvana, hahaha. And the changing in tempo. It seems like a whole lot is going on in the song, but they do it in such a way that it makes sense and sounds good.

13. Starts like a videogame. Then Thom Yorke’s voice. Is this a remix of some of Thom Yorke’s work or did he sing in someone's work? No, I hear more typical Tom York things in the song than just his singing. Okay, I really like to know what this is.

14. Jazz, not my cup of tea

15. Ah nice. Pop/Rock band. “Nikola, we’re gonna make a difference” Simple song, but nice.

16. The guy sounds drunk yes. But the music underneath is nice. But I don’t know about this type of ‘rapping’, it goes smooth because of the way he does, I bet that isn’t easy, but is it rapping? Anyway, it fits the song (lyrics especially) and the song is smooth, okay. I can listen to this some more times :)

17. Piano song and a girl with real girlpower :lol: like the one in #12 bunch of strings accompany the song later one, pretty. This song has a very nice feeling to it. I would like to hear more from this artist.

18. I know this song. Comes by a lot on radio, in clubs and my bf listens to it. We don’t have the same taste, hahaha, maybe I should let him listen to the songs that I don’t get on this mixtape, because those are the type of songs he likes. Nice song to party on.

19. A completely different song again. A soft piano tune. It’s pretty, could be from a movie. Is it Nils Frahm or someone? I want this song.

20. Indeed a summer feeling tune. The beginning makes me very sentimental, because it makes me go back to Nicaragua. How happy memories can make you sad, eh? Nice ending of the mixtape.

This tape had so much variation, jazz, rap, dwarfs singing folk, straight pop, electronic, lounge, ambient. Definitely made it interesting to listen to it. My favourite songs were 6 (not only because it sounds good, but mostly because it is in a genre that I usually dislike), 9, of course 11, and 12 :heart:

Thank you for the mixtape! I am sure a lot of work went into it. Perhaps good to know that I surely will check out some of these artists and found some new love :}

In the meantime I gave dreamorlife's tape some spins. More than I had to, but that's a good thing I guess, hahaha!

At first glance I noticed the 20 numbers! And yeah, it’s more than 80 minutes long. Niiiiice.

The theme might have to do with travelling? I say that while looking at the artwork and some titles of the songs; first one nicely says bonjour and last one says goodbye. But that could also be a personal hello of the mixtape maker, rather than referring to a journey. Unless we go all metaphorical and the mixtape is like a journey through all kinds of music. Nice cover, it added to the feeling I got while listening to the tape. Is it self-made or did you look for it to fit the theme? (it looks very familiar to me, so I think it's not self-made)

In the cover there's a personal note to me, hahaha. I imagine this used to be one for RazorEye :angry:

I just found some great illustrator (my second mixtape had also as a cover basis one of his works) and I just added some fonts, so to avoid the embarrassment of me drawing

1. I know this song. It is good for setting the mood of the tape, I think. I like that. It is chill and something that would be played in a nice club that I imagine myself in during a trip. But I am not a fan of the song, the trick with the high-up pitched voice is something I can't really handle. Beat is too loud for me as well, too dominant.

It's a guy called "Flume" who just released his debut record in Australia, I love pretty much all of it so I had no idea which to put on here. But you're right, he's definitely on the more pop-side of the electronic things

2. This is Moddi, I think. I never really got into his songs, but I have heard some of his work. It starts off with something that could be Sigur Rós-like, I mean the stuff from their last album then. Then he sings a very honest song. It’s sad.

Let me then surprise you and say it's Keaton Henson. Guy from London I think, who seems to suffer from social anxiety or something because he just likes to be at home and write music. That song is from a record about a heartbreak he had to endure, it's just a personal thing because I felt so with him after reading a profile of him (and there were people in the comments like "what a looser"). I just feel with him :)

3. Royksöpp. I like this. It is chill-out, kind of lounge like.

Again managed to sneak in my pop-preferences, this one is from the bass player of the Chili Peppers. He did a solo EP which I found surprisingly interesting and more offbeat than what the Chillis usually do

4. Django Django. I like their CD, but to the honest, this is the song of them I like the least :( It is the most poppy and catchy I guess, but I don’t like the default mumbles, which are like robotic. Too bad I let that ruin the song for me, because the beat is very nice, it’s uplifting and the guitars are nice.

To bad, the monotonic repetition is what got me originally into the track :D

5. Simple and cute song. Guy in love with a girl. Your singer-song writer song. “you are a radar detector” what?

This one is indeed called "Radar Detector", from Darwin Deez. Funny and senseless, either hate or love it (or don't care) :D

6. Aaaah, nice start. Very lounge. Very relaxing. This is neat, it is not one of my favourite music styles, but this song I like. If I would do a three point system per song, this song would get three. It’s soooo nice. It’s like how I wish lounge would sound like.

Here we go with the Radiohead references. This one is originally the title track from The Eraser solo album by Thom, but covered by a trumpet player called Christian Scott. If you approach him with care, you may actually start to like jazz. It's the guy that got me also into this sort of music because always has an awesome band, blending Radiohead-style-rock with other things (from loungy to real jazz-rocky). Seems that was a lucky pick :)

7. Oh no, I think this is one of these artists that I don’t like. I don’t like it, sorry. When the guy goes all ‘heartbeat ringing out of MY CHEST’ ... no. The song is like what you would hear in a club, I imagine.

This one was the housy thing on the tape, from upcoming UK's brothers Disclosure. As also RazorEye just said "throw them music at me" (or something like that :D ), I just tried everything, so this was always going to be a hit-or-miss thing.

8. We’re still in the club. Another way. This sounds like the remix of the song. I’d like to hear the original version, I think it would be better than this remix. If this is not the remix, then I don’t understand why they made the song like this :S hahaha, eh yeah. Like the guitar is cute and nice, but seems out of place when it gets overruled by the remixing of ‘walkanotherway wa wak walkanotherway wa wak’

If you want to look for the original of this one, it's Come Back Home by Two Door Cinema Club

9. This is nice. Slow build-up, guitar coming in ... then a nice voice singing. Also a funny ‘kin-kin-kin’ like the guy is mumbling along with the music. Very nice singing. Funky bass. I like this song!

Again something RHCP-related :D Their former guitarist, with their now guitarist (but on drums) and the bass player from Fugazi, forming a short-lived psychedelic outfit called Ataxia. This one was the shortest song from them I found, but if you're into long jams with distorted guitars, but emotional and with (I think) beautiful voices (both guitarists sing and even the Fugazi guy I think at some point), look no further :)

10. Hahaha, I know this song. Rap. The lyrics are ..... yeah well. A bit ridiculous. But that makes it funny. It’s an okay song though. I wouldn’t place it on my iPod (if I’d have one), but I kind of dig it. I also have to laugh about the part when he says ‘Go Play. Go play’ because at first I heard ‘Coldplay, coldplay’ :laugh4:

I even looked into the lyrics to be sure about what he said :D Sort of a niche reference to Coldplay :D But critics praise him for that record, so he seems to be at least one step above other contemporaries *cough* insert name*. The "Backseat Freestyle" from Kendrick Lamar

11. folk, this is very nice! Probably from The Hobbit soundtrack, the dwarf song, right? I never listened to the soundtrack, while I have that one of LotR and that one I have listened to endlessly. Maybe I should get the one from The Hobbit as well. They only sing, no instruments, but the bass voice makes it sound like an instrument to accompany the singing. I really like this song.

"Misty Mountains", but otherwise correct. Really loved how much atmosphere he can create in such a short time. Must now listen to the rest of the soundtrack :D

12. Nice guitar to start with. Then a girl singing. This reminds me of Blonde Redhead somehow, but it isn’t. She also reminds me somehow of Florence and the Machine. I like this song, it’s rocky, poppy and had weird twists, like halfway it suddenly becomes heavier or the beginning of the bridge where they go Nirvana, hahaha. And the changing in tempo. It seems like a whole lot is going on in the song, but they do it in such a way that it makes sense and sounds good.

Again RHCP-related (should stop that now :D). Their former guitarist produced their first EP, a female rock band from America called Warpaint. Also sort of psychedelic, but they make really great music. And how many female rock bands are their that make actually good music?!, instead of being the realisation of their managers fantasies...

13. Starts like a videogame. Then Thom Yorke’s voice. Is this a remix of some of Thom Yorke’s work or did he sing in someone's work? No, I hear more typical Tom York things in the song than just his singing. Okay, I really like to know what this is.

One of the more challenging references here, but really well spotted! He is featured on a track by an American guy called "Flying Lotus" who does all sorts of weird stuff with electronics, but I thought if Thom features on it that must quite be worthwhile listening. His whole albums are still a bit difficult (depending on your mood :D), but really interesting ventures, showing what you can do with electronic music.

14. Jazz, not my cup of tea

Well, I at least I had to try it. But, as I said, I just wanted it to be a

15. Ah nice. Pop/Rock band. “Nikola, we’re gonna make a difference” Simple song, but nice.

A bit of a cheer after all these melancholy things. Last Dinosaurs, from Australia.

16. The guy sounds drunk yes. But the music underneath is nice. But I don’t know about this type of ‘rapping’, it goes smooth because of the way he does, I bet that isn’t easy, but is it rapping? Anyway, it fits the song (lyrics especially) and the song is smooth, okay. I can listen to this some more times :)

The guy is called Ghostpoet, and was probably the first album I loved just because of it's title (it's called "Peanut Butter Blues and Melancholy Jam"). He absolutely hates it to be called a rapper, he says he just "mumbles" and does art. Or whatever. Bit melancholic again, but I really like him

17. Piano song and a girl with real girlpower :lol: like the one in #12 bunch of strings accompany the song later one, pretty. This song has a very nice feeling to it. I would like to hear more from this artist.

From a group I think I should know more about, but I don't. Paradise Circus from Massive Attack

18. I know this song. Comes by a lot on radio, in clubs and my bf listens to it. We don’t have the same taste, hahaha, maybe I should let him listen to the songs that I don’t get on this mixtape, because those are the type of songs he likes. Nice song to party on.

Literally one week after putting this onto the mixtape I realized how huge this song actually was in terms of radio presence (and how big Macklemore has become). Nearly ashamed, but I still love him. The same guy who wrote "Same Love", a song about gay rights (and he's an American rapper). Just for that I love him. And his poor producer, Ryan Lewis. They really seem to work as a team, but people always forget him (or mistake him, like that guy Letterman from the late night show). :D

19. A completely different song again. A soft piano tune. It’s pretty, could be from a movie. Is it Nils Frahm or someone? I want this song.

Seems like the unnoticed star of the exchange, yes! The only time I ever listen to solo piano music.

20. Indeed a summer feeling tune. The beginning makes me very sentimental, because it makes me go back to Nicaragua. How happy memories can make you sad, eh? Nice ending of the mixtape.

Recurring motif, again a remix by Two Door CinemaClub. RazorEye is in Australia, where the summer should vanish now, so I thought about memories and not like us here, where we can now hope for summer (and be excited and listen to the great tapes we already got :)

This tape had so much variation, jazz, rap, dwarfs singing folk, straight pop, electronic, lounge, ambient. Definitely made it interesting to listen to it. My favourite songs were 6 (not only because it sounds good, but mostly because it is in a genre that I usually dislike), 9, of course 11, and 12 :heart:

Thank you for the mixtape! I am sure a lot of work went into it. Perhaps good to know that I surely will check out some of these artists and found some new love :}

Thanks just for reviewing, and if you found just on new artist you may like I think was already worth it. But really thanks for a (altough belated) finish to this exchange and making me confident again to participate in the next one :)

Tracklist:

1. Sleepless (Flume feat. Jezzabell Doran)

2. You Don't Know How Lucky You Are (Keaton Henson)

3. Pedestal of Infamy (Flea from the "Helen Burns" EP)

4. Default (Django Django)

5. Radar Detector (Darwin Deez)

6. The Eraser (Christian Scott)

7. Latch (Disclosure)

8. Come Back Home Myd Remix (Two Door Cinema Club)

9. Another (Ataxia)

10. Backseat Freestyle (Kendrick Lamar)

11. Misty Mountains (Richard Armitage, The Hobbit Soundtrack)

12. Elephants (Warpaint)

13. ... And the World Laughs With You (Flying Lotus ft. Thom Yorke)

14. Do You Feel (Jose James)

15. Time & Place (Last Dinosaurs)

16. Cash and Carry Me Home (Ghostpoet)

17. Paradise Circus (Massive Attack)

18. Can't Hold Us (Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Ray Dalton)

19. Ambre (Nils Frahm)

20. Something Good Can Work (Two Door Cinema Club/Ted & Francis Remix Deluxe Edition Version)

Hope you fun discovering some of these people ;)

I just found some great illustrator (my second mixtape had also as a cover basis one of his works) and I just added some fonts, so to avoid the embarrassment of me drawing

Ahhh, that's maybe why the cover looked familiar.

Let me then surprise you and say it's Keaton Henson. Guy from London I think, who seems to suffer from social anxiety or something because he just likes to be at home and write music. That song is from a record about a heartbreak he had to endure, it's just a personal thing because I felt so with him after reading a profile of him (and there were people in the comments like "what a looser"). I just feel with him :)

Woah, that guy sounds a lot like Moddi then. I haven't heard of Keaton Henson.

Again managed to sneak in my pop-preferences, this one is from the bass player of the Chili Peppers. He did a solo EP which I found surprisingly interesting and more offbeat than what the Chillis usually doAgain woah. I was pretty sure it was Royksöpp or a remix by Royksöpp. Interesting!

Here we go with the Radiohead references. This one is originally the title track from The Eraser solo album by Thom, but covered by a trumpet player called Christian Scott. If you approach him with care, you may actually start to like jazz. It's the guy that got me also into this sort of music because always has an awesome band, blending Radiohead-style-rock with other things (from loungy to real jazz-rocky). Seems that was a lucky pick :)

Oh shit, I really have to listen to The Eraser then. I don't know why I never did. I love Radiohead and I like Atoms for Piece as well, so why didn't I listen to it before :bomb:

Again something RHCP-related :D Their former guitarist, with their now guitarist (but on drums) and the bass player from Fugazi, forming a short-lived psychedelic outfit called Ataxia. This one was the shortest song from them I found, but if you're into long jams with distorted guitars, but emotional and with (I think) beautiful voices (both guitarists sing and even the Fugazi guy I think at some point), look no further :)

I can see :wacky: wow, I am sure I will like their stuff. Will listen to it!

Again RHCP-related (should stop that now :D). Their former guitarist produced their first EP, a female rock band from America called Warpaint. Also sort of psychedelic, but they make really great music. And how many female rock bands are their that make actually good music?!, instead of being the realisation of their managers fantasies...

Hahaha, well I can name a few ;) But cool! I have heard of the name Warpaint, I think last.fm even recommends it to me, but I had never gotten to listen to it yet :S

From a group I think I should know more about, but I don't. Paradise Circus from Massive Attack

:bomb: Okay another band I never gave the attention I should have. I know Massive Attack but never listened to a CD of them.

Seems like the unnoticed star of the exchange, yes! The only time I ever listen to solo piano music.

Funny, I just listened to a concert of Nils Frahm online. That's why I had to think of him.

Aaaah, this tape gave me nice artists to go after :wacky: Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

So, given that we have not gotten any new posts in two weeks, I think we can close the exchange :)

I am sorry for those who did not get a review :/ I hope you participate in the next one, and that the mixtape you make gets a it-rocked-my-socks-off review!!! And that the mixtape you receive gets the same effect on you.

It was fun to be the host! It was the first time doing it, and thank you God for whoever came up with excel lol

Have a nice day everyone!

• 1 month later...

Well, given that this last one more or less ended around the end of April, I imagine it might be good to have the next one around, say, end of July/beginning of August? It'll give people plenty of time to get ready for it, and more people would be able to participate because school won't have started yet. If anyone would like to put forth a different time frame, I'm all ears.

Well, the tapes for this past exchange were sent in March, and we usually wait 3-4 months before putting up the next one. Otherwise, it's too fresh. I'm not gonna say we haven't waited a shorter amount of time (because we have), but the one time I recall doing that, we ended up not having nearly as much people. I'm not saying that's necessarily bad, as it was I suppose a more intimate exchange, but we usually try to get as many people on board as possible. That's why I had suggested late July/early August.

Having said that, I'm pretty flexible, and I wouldn't necessarily mind the end of June or something. We'll see what other people think before making a decision.

While we're doing that, we should also perhaps figure out who will head this new exchange. I've done it once before, and I'd be up for doing it again, but if someone just really wants to run it this time, just say so.

^ She goes by both, so either one is fine. :nice:

Anyway, I'm not sure if she's really been around the forum at all that much lately, if I'm honest. Of course, I could be wrong. Should she want to host, she can always just come back and be like, "OOOH PICK ME!" I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Jajaja yeah, sounds good. And I also think we should wait another month to start with the next exchange, just let people know it is happening. A friend was sad he missed the last one, so given them a month to be aware of it should work better maybe?

I agree with Violet and think we should wait till at least mid-July if the last one was only finished with a few weeks or a month back. I'm away from my laptop from the 29th June till the 10th July but I'd be up for hosting unless someone else wants it more?

If signing up happens during those dates can someone throw my name down for me? :)