✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mixtape Exchange XIV CLOSED! XVI coming soon!!! Very soon!

DiOli05

Yeah, you're right Kat. Too much Jonas Bjerre I guess, hahaha!

I'll put comments in your post in Cyan :DMe, me?

The tracklisting is:

1. Thirteen Senses - Crystal Sounds

2. múm - Moon Pulls

3. Violens - It Couldn't Be Perceived

4. Boy & Bear - Feeding Line

5. Mew - Like Paper Cuts

6. moi Caprice - To The Lighthouse

Flashing Red Rabbits Oh No! =

7. The Shins - Red Rabbits

8. Oh No Ono - Swim

9. The Boxer Rebellion - Flashing Red Light Means Go

One For The Nightfall =

10. a-ha - How Sweet It Was

11. Mew - Saviours of Jazz Ballet

12. The Rumour Said Fire - Sanctuary

13. Foals - Stepson

We Sit and We Sigh =

14. Bloc Party - Compliments

hidden track: Brian Eno's Emerald and Lime

Thank you for listening. I am glad the mixtape got taken care of by someone. Thank you for the review. You were so fast :blush: If you want I can also send you the whole songs, because some are cropped quite a bit in this mixtape.

Thankyou again, it's been very enjoyable and I shall be checking out a few of those artists... especially Moi Caprice :hug:

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yussss, moi Caprice is my second favorite band (next to Mew - obv). Their sound is very similar, it's just what I love in music :bomb:

dreamorlife, sure you can let me have a look at your tape, but if it's the same Diana reviewed, then I already know the tracklisting :/ (you also had Boy & Bear's Feeding line in your mixtape :P like I did)

I made one originally for RazorEye, and this one is still not reviewed.

After that, I made a second, different one for Deirdre because she hadn't gotten any. So my fast-mixtape, put together in less time, is reviewed, but it's the one into which I put more of my time (and which has completely different music on it) that's still unreviewed, and where I would be glad if anyone would like to listen to it.

Guess what :cheesy:

So, finally, here is my review of the mixtape I received. It’s titled In Synthesis which is kind of a fitting title. It’s a mixtape consisting of electronic and ambient music, which I like since I don’t have too much knowledge about it.

1: The mixtape starts off with an upbeat ambient track. An electronic beat begins, accompanied by various other percussive sounds and effects, before a keyboard forms a soft backdrop. The beat pauses and gives way for synthesizer arpeggios before it all starts again now with the synths taking center stage further up in the register giving the song a new edge. Halfway through the track a synth bass line does what the synthesizers did in the first pause and joins in. The mix progress towards dubstep, then returns to the singing synthesizers before throwing everything on for the final push. It’s a good track and opener, but not something I really picture myself listening to otherwise. It reminded me a bit of The Prodigy. The artwork was still attached to this one. I’ve actually seen them live a couple of years ago, but I think they’ve broken up since :\

2: Röyksopp! This is a lot smoother and flowing than the opener. A soundscape of synths pave the way for a distorted voice. Then a beat drives the song forward. The first interlude where the synth takes over is so beautiful, and somewhat typically Röyksopp. It’s a really good song and made me want to go back to Melody A.M. It’ has interesting percussion too, which is something I haven’t noticed before.

3: Floating synths/organs lie behind a “soloing” electric drumkit. When it pauses, light synths start playing a riff, then the drumming resumes with the riffs still going. There are a few breaks where a distorted voice says something I can’t make out. I like how the calmer synths work against stressful beat, and manage to make it kind of calming.

4: A guitar that almost sounds like a sitar starts playing an arpeggiated chord progression. Then a whining synth, bass and percussion using a lot of shakers start. A man sings and I’m pretty sure he’s European. The synths have a big role here as well, filling in with riffs and motifs in between, but it’s a more “normally” instrumented track. The chord progression returns in between. It’s a very laidback track.

5: This is built primarily around arpeggios. Synth/harp arpeggios with more synths as backdrop start off, and then a slow beat starts. After a while the arpeggios start playing a different progression, and another synth drops chords. This progression returns a couple of times. A digital synth is put on top of it all and it all builds up gradually before tuning it down and taking a step back for a while, then building up again. It’s a more meditating track then the earlier ones with a lot more space. I like it.

6: A track more centered on electric percussion and beats, and sound effects. Not really my thing, but works well in the contest of the mixtape.

7: One of my favorite songs! I’ve listened to it and Heligoland countless times. Horace Andy and Robert del Naja sound great singing together and the backing synth line that repeats throughout until it’s alone is just about perfect. So is the curtain of strings that lies behind all the time. My second favorite track off the album next to Paradise Circus :nice: Great pick!

8: Two guitars both picking begin and are joined a bending synth and drumset with lots of symbal. I’m not a big fan of the synth sound they use. A lot of digi-synths. There’s a guitar solo, heavy in effects, towards the end. A lot of it sounds like a demo off a casio keyboard. Not a big fan.

9: A sea of strings and a poppy synth arpeggio form the core here. It’s interesting how other instruments take turns and how it affects what’s center stage so to say. The section toward the end with the choir sound and riff is really cool. I like this.

10: Distorted electric guitars chiming over a soundscape where synth lines kind of float in and out in the background. Then there’s a stop and a chord progression takes shape. The drums become more dominant (2 sets) and the synth lines move forward in the mix. I think this may be one of my favorites this far. I like the use of strings, and the percussion really adds a lot.

11: A synth line a beat start out, then a man starts singing with a lot of sustain. Then there’re some chaotic violin sounds, and in the the next interlude more synth sounds. The chorus has a lot of

different synth sounds (riffs, strings and rhythmic progressions). Another favorite, I especially like the falling synth line. The artist info was still on here, and it’s Caribou who I’ve been meaning to look more into.

12: This is a very floating, minimalistic track. There isn’t much going on instrumentally, but the sound takes a lot of space. I like how the guitar works against the anaoluge strings, using some unusual picking techniques. I really like it, and this is another track that works very well on the mixtape. Could it be Japan?

13: A piano chord progression is joined by a bass, then a voice in a lot of reverb. An electronic drumkit joins toward the chorus which sounds kind of like “If you Wish Upon a Star” played by Tame Impala and Caribou. I love the instrumentation. Great closer.

All in all it’s a solid tape that should be listened to as a whole. I like how the different tracks flown into and complement each other, though there were maybe a bit to many synthesizers. Maybe it’s just that I’m not used to listening to so much ambient. All in all it’s a solid mixtape, I enjoyed listening to it and reviewing it very much, and look forward to tracklist :)

Everyone who sent a tape, got a tape, so there are no people waiting for links, but they are waiting for reviews.

Squareonefivesix check to see if your link still works, if it does not, send me a new one. I will review it, if you want, of course.

I'm just hoping for some users to capture the cool concerts and reupload them. Because, living in Germany, I can't even see the stream (even if I would stay up late).

Gutted about so much amazing technology and so stupid licensing issues, because there are some quite interesting bands I'd like to see.

As for the Exchange: Seems like there are some reviews missing, guessing from the post by Diana. Maybe assemble a list of willing participants willing to do a second review?

(if necessary, I could also do a third. Getting a real routine with that :) )

Hi William! :)

I was your mixtape partner.

First of all, thank you for spending some your time reviewing my mixtape despite last two week beeing busy and all the troubles you've had with your PC. Oh, and I hope the piano exam went well!

Anyway, it's time to unveil the song and the artists. My comments are in lime

So, finally, here is my review of the mixtape I received. It’s titled In Synthesis which is kind of a fitting title. It’s a mixtape consisting of electronic and ambient music, which I like since I don’t have too much knowledge about it.

I've been listening mostly to this kind of electronic stuff lately, so I wanted to put some of my favourite recent discoveries. I know you're not really into this kind of music and I tried not to be too much "alien" to your taste

1: The mixtape starts off with an upbeat ambient track. An electronic beat begins, accompanied by various other percussive sounds and effects, before a keyboard forms a soft backdrop. The beat pauses and gives way for synthesizer arpeggios before it all starts again now with the synths taking center stage further up in the register giving the song a new edge. Halfway through the track a synth bass line does what the synthesizers did in the first pause and joins in. The mix progress towards dubstep, then returns to the singing synthesizers before throwing everything on for the final push. It’s a good track and opener, but not something I really picture myself listening to otherwise. It reminded me a bit of The Prodigy. The artwork was still attached to this one. I’ve actually seen them live a couple of years ago, but I think they’ve broken up since :\

I thought this one was a really energetic song and a good one to start with. I like how it manages to be fast and syncopated and full of glitch-y bass sounds but still rich in ambience. It may have reminded you of The Prodigy because the song has some drum 'n' bass elements.

2: Röyksopp! This is a lot smoother and flowing than the opener. A soundscape of synths pave the way for a distorted voice. Then a beat drives the song forward. The first interlude where the synth takes over is so beautiful, and somewhat typically Röyksopp. It’s a really good song and made me want to go back to Melody A.M. It’ has interesting percussion too, which is something I haven’t noticed before.

I know you're from Norway, so I wanted to include a song by my favourite Norwegian band. :wacky:

I think the percussions blends really well with the melody and the vocals and they indeed make the song special.

3: Floating synths/organs lie behind a “soloing” electric drumkit. When it pauses, light synths start playing a riff, then the drumming resumes with the riffs still going. There are a few breaks where a distorted voice says something I can’t make out. I like how the calmer synths work against stressful beat, and manage to make it kind of calming.

Surprisinlgy, this is from Deadmau5 debut album. Most people know him because of his house and electro stuff, but he also has some really good ambient/trip-hop oriented numbers, including this one.

4: A guitar that almost sounds like a sitar starts playing an arpeggiated chord progression. Then a whining synth, bass and percussion using a lot of shakers start. A man sings and I’m pretty sure he’s European. The synths have a big role here as well, filling in with riffs and motifs in between, but it’s a more “normally” instrumented track. The chord progression returns in between. It’s a very laidback track.

One of my favourite songs of this year so far. It's a really good mixture of folk and electronic music (some people call it folktronica) and the guitar+synth riff is quite addicting. I hope the album this song is from will be as good (it's still to be relased)

5: This is built primarily around arpeggios. Synth/harp arpeggios with more synths as backdrop start off, and then a slow beat starts. After a while the arpeggios start playing a different progression, and another synth drops chords. This progression returns a couple of times. A digital synth is put on top of it all and it all builds up gradually before tuning it down and taking a step back for a while, then building up again. It’s a more meditating track then the earlier ones with a lot more space. I like it.

Very soothing track indeed. I love this kind of "progressing" ambient songs, which add elements as it goes. Some rithmic changes were kind of unexpected the first time I heard it.

6: A track more centered on electric percussion and beats, and sound effects. Not really my thing, but works well in the contest of the mixtape.

Well, in every mixtape I make I just like to put at least one particulary weird song I like just to see my partner's reaction.:p This is actually one of my favourite Autechre songs.

7: One of my favorite songs! I’ve listened to it and Heligoland countless times. Horace Andy and Robert del Naja sound great singing together and the backing synth line that repeats throughout until it’s alone is just about perfect. So is the curtain of strings that lies behind all the time. My second favorite track off the album next to Paradise Circus :nice: Great pick!

I love this song too! :wacko: I love it's haunting melody and the string and synths arrangement is just sublime.

8: Two guitars both picking begin and are joined a bending synth and drumset with lots of symbal. I’m not a big fan of the synth sound they use. A lot of digi-synths. There’s a guitar solo, heavy in effects, towards the end. A lot of it sounds like a demo off a casio keyboard. Not a big fan.

This one is from Pendulum's debut album. The guitars have some kind of warm vibe I really like but I can totally see why you may find the production a bit "plastic". Actuallly, I didn't really like that talk box effext too at first.

9: A sea of strings and a poppy synth arpeggio form the core here. It’s interesting how other instruments take turns and how it affects what’s center stage so to say. The section toward the end with the choir sound and riff is really cool. I like this.

Despite this song is 20 years old, it still sounds fresh and intriguing. I stumbled across this song for a pure casuality, and I'm glad that I've found it. It's by Intermix, one of Bill Leeb's (Front Line Assembly leader) side projects.

10: Distorted electric guitars chiming over a soundscape where synth lines kind of float in and out in the background. Then there’s a stop and a chord progression takes shape. The drums become more dominant (2 sets) and the synth lines move forward in the mix. I think this may be one of my favorites this far. I like the use of strings, and the percussion really adds a lot.

Boards Of Canada classic here. I think I heard this song some years ago. but I only found out recently about the name and the artist.

11: A synth line a beat start out, then a man starts singing with a lot of sustain. Then there’re some chaotic violin sounds, and in the the next interlude more synth sounds. The chorus has a lot of

different synth sounds (riffs, strings and rhythmic progressions). Another favorite, I especially like the falling synth line. The artist info was still on here, and it’s Caribou who I’ve been meaning to look more into.

I saw Caribou live when they were supporting Radiohead last October. I love the whole atmosphere created by the synths and the voice and the climax at the end makes the song for me.

12: This is a very floating, minimalistic track. There isn’t much going on instrumentally, but the sound takes a lot of space. I like how the guitar works against the anaoluge strings, using some unusual picking techniques. I really like it, and this is another track that works very well on the mixtape. Could it be Japan?

Actually, this one is from Brian Eno's album Small Craft On A Milk Sea, which I think I listened to a million of times. Some great guitar work by Leo Abrahams (I included one of his songs on another mixtape I think) and synth work by Jon Hopkins here too.

13: A piano chord progression is joined by a bass, then a voice in a lot of reverb. An electronic drumkit joins toward the chorus which sounds kind of like “If you Wish Upon a Star” played by Tame Impala and Caribou. I love the instrumentation. Great closer.

This song sounds a bit vintage yet very modern. I really like the "poor quality MP3 sound" effect for some reason. Also, I thought it would have been a good closer and it seems it was :wacko:

All in all it’s a solid tape that should be listened to as a whole. I like how the different tracks flown into and complement each other, though there were maybe a bit to many synthesizers. Maybe it’s just that I’m not used to listening to so much ambient. All in all it’s a solid mixtape, I enjoyed listening to it and reviewing it very much, and look forward to tracklist :)

Yeah, you're right, I've exaggerated a bit with electronic/ambient stuff. I think I should be more careful to "balance" the tape's sound next time. Anyway, I'm glad that you liked it :nice:

Tracklist:

1. "4001" - Squarepusher (Ufabulum, 2012)

2. "Poor Leno" - Röyksopp (Melody A.M., 2001)

3. "Try Again" - Deadmau5 (Get Scraped, 2005)

4. "A Tout A L'heure" - Bibio (Silver Wilkinson, 2013)

5. "Decoder" - Kodomo (Frozen In Motion, 2011)

6. "FLeure" - Autechre (Exai, 2013)

7. "Splitting The Atom" - Massive Attack (Heligoland, 2010)

8. "Girl In The Fire" - Pendulum (Hold Your Colour, 2005)

9. "Voices" - Intermix (Intermix, 1992)

10. "Dayvan Cowboy" - Boards Of Canada (The Campfire Headphase, 2005)

11. "Jamelia" - Caribou (Swim, 2010)

12. "Written, Forgotten" - Brian Eno (Small Craft On A Milk Sea, 2010)

13. "A Day's Pay For A Day's Work" - Darkstar (News From Nowhere, 2013)

First of all, thank you for spending some your time reviewing my mixtape despite last two week beeing busy and all the troubles you've had with your PC. Oh, and I hope the piano exam went well!

Tracklist:

Oh, I thought 1 was Pendulum. They're the ones I've seen.

I guess I have a list of artists to check out :nice: Been meaning to give Squarepusher and Boards of Canada a listen for a while now. Thanks again! Again the piano exam went very well :)

I made one originally for RazorEye, and this one is still not reviewed.

After that, I made a second, different one for Deirdre because she hadn't gotten any. So my fast-mixtape, put together in less time, is reviewed, but it's the one into which I put more of my time (and which has completely different music on it) that's still unreviewed, and where I would be glad if anyone would like to listen to it.

Ah! It's a different one :pleased:

Then sure I'd love to listen to it and review it. :awesome:

omg Mark, you have Bibio on it :dazzled:

Tracklist:

OMG so many soft moody electronic feels

That's brilliant. Had a full-blown review ready to post, but Mozilla decided to crash. Excuse me while I go outside and kill the neighbors' cat. :saw:
Pity you didn't post the review after all :(

Second Review

Ok, so since Maple went MIA, I offered to review Paula's mixtape, and I am glad I did, it was amazing! She really put work into it! It has lovely Maple leaves as the artwork, and the album name is For Maple. Most of the songs are soft beats, and there are some that rock pretty hard.

I have been listening to it this whole past week, and the first days after I got it, I listened to it at least three times a day lol

Onto the songs!

1. Has an unexpected beginning! and then a man starts singing. It has an upbeat background, but the way he sings is very soft, and the music slow downs with him in the chorus. It is a song that definitively catches your attention! No clue of who it is!

2. Slow song! Soft voice. I think all of the singers in the mixtape were males... I really really liked this one. It is very relaxing... It has a soft beat, and the lyrics are lovely. The chorus is just them saying "Aaaahhh aaaahhh", but the way it goes with the music makes it amazing! It kind of stops for a little bit, and then it goes back to the choir, to end.

3. His voice sounds so strange at the beginning lol. It has more guitars and strong drums, making it more upbeat and fun to listen to! I cannot really make up most of the words... the solo is pretty amazing though. It does not do anything wild, but instead just keeps going in that upbeat way.

4. The "SUMMERING!" at the end is great. Could help to sing it every time. It starts with the guy's voice and piano, with a fast rhythm, and it is then accompanied by drums. Piano solo... and then the drums are back. The song continues in the same fashion, and it ends with a "summering" (or at least that is what i hear lol)

5. This is a cover of "Maps", by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. This one has guitars on it only, though. Also it makes me think of Hawaii... lol. The way the guitar sounds, i guess. I am not really a fan of covers, so i do not have much to say... I guess it lacks the emotions behind the lyrics... it feels weird lol, I did like the solo at the end. It does not really sound like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs version.

6. Men singing in a choir-like fashion, accompanied by a guitar. Then you have drums in the choir, and it goes back to just them and the guitar chords, and it keeps going like that throughout the song. Then you have a bass coming on, playing in the "empty" spaces lol. It finishes with all of them playing together, giving it a nice ending. I really liked this one!

7. I love how this one starts! drums and guitar with a lovely rhythm! He has a nice calm voice, and the sound in the background reminds me of a whale call lol. As soon as he starts singing the song gets calmer, and goes back to more upbeat in the chorus. It goes like that till it ends. Loved it.

8. Oh man! I know this voice. I am so sure. So SO sure! but I have no clue. I need to pay attention when I listen to music lol. I really enjoyed this song! It has a nice rhythm, makes you move your head from side to side. "Don't let them go" I really like the lyrics! It is kind of a sad song (my crying roommate kind of proves it...) but I loved it so much.

9. This one has a Phoenix sound to it, but his voice does not seem familiar. The lyrics are so lovely! It is kind of romantic. The "Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh" in the chorus have the most moved part of the song, it is great.

10. This is one reminds me of Gregorian chant... lol. It is men singing, accompanied by a repeating couple of guitar chords, then the main vocalist starts singing apart from everyone, and it is followed by an intense sound of guitars in the choir. It then goes back to calm, and it ends like that.

11. This one has an old song feeling to it. Maybe I have heard it before and that is why... I do not recognize the voice though. Not much to say about this one, though.

12. This is a slow, romantic song. Also has the old feeling to it. I love the chorus. "you got me where you want me..." I almost feel identified with it lol (</3). Really loved it. No clue of who sings it though.

13. tambourine at the start, and then a guitar starts playing... then it is just the steady beat of the tambourine. Then a steady guitar rift on. His voice is really soft. The song has the same beat throughout, and every now and then there is a second guitar with a sharper sound. In the middle it turns to hard rock. it stops, and then goes back to the guitar rifts and the normal singing. Then it goes hard again and that is how it ends.

14. Piano and a sad trumpet! jaja. Loved this one. It has a jazzy feeling to it. Then you have drums, and guitar, and slowly sounds start coming together, to then leave the piano by itself, to come back together again. Voices! high pitches in some parts. Lovely song. It is fun, and has sounds you are not really expecting! It was a great ending!

So it is around 51 minutes long! It is pretty amazing. Most of the songs were really calm, and I do not think I know any of the artists!

Also, the first listen I gave it to it was while I was writing a paper, and it really helped a lot! jajaja thank you for sharing it with me! Loved it!

I would totally review it, but I noticed how long it took me to review Paula's and I do not want you to wait more for a review, since it is my last week of school and I would hardly have any time to breathe.

You were the first person in submitting a mixtape, so it really sucks that you have not gotten it reviewed yet.

Is anyone else up to review it, please? I think it is the last one that has not been reviewed yet.