✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Kodaline Thread

42JTR

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I love their live performances, Steve's voice is flawless!

The studio version is on iTunes and Spotify, sounds kind of like The Killers... previews for all the songs are on the iTunes store, War sounds exactly like the live version... Coming Alive is similar to Hurts Like Heaven, could just be my favourite track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This sounds great!

• 2 weeks later...

[h=1]Kodaline Keep Getting Compared to Coldplay, and They're Fine With It[/h]kodaline.jpg?w=600

Kodaline have been hovering around the U.K. rock scene for several years. They used to exist as 21 Demands, but changed their name in 2011, and added bass player Jason Boland to round out the group.

ow, they're working on a second record, Coming Up for Air, which is due Feb. 9.

There are other important matters, too. Namely, the fact that they keep getting compared to Coldplay. The Irish boys recently sat down with Digital Spy to address the issue.

People seem to like comparing you to Coldplay. Do you find that frustrating?

Mark Prendergast
: "We haven't got any on the new songs."

Steve Garrigan
: "The thing is right, I'd say us and 500,000 other bands get compared to Coldplay because Coldplay are so massive. We're Coldplay fans, so it's cool."

Boland
: "That's the music that was on the radio when we were growing up, that's the band we grew up on. U2, Coldplay and Snow Patrol. It's hard not to take in what's around you."

Garrigan
: "I think the goal for any band is to just get to the stage where they just sound themselves ... I don't know how long that takes. To us we're just who we are, we don't necessarily sound like anybody else. We don't try to rip anybody else off, we just put our own personalities into our music and the end product is our music."

The takeaway: Kodaline like Coldplay, but they don't want to be lumped into the same sonic category.

"We've never really found a sound as a band," Garrigan said. "We write per song — we never really think of an overall sound. If there's a riff that's really funky, it's going to end up being a funk song. That's the way we look at it, we don't think about sounds."

There's still hope for a specific identity, though.

"Maybe, touch wood, the next album we might find a sound — or maybe we already have."

From Music Times - http://www.musictimes.com/articles/26839/20150131/kodaline-keep-getting-compared-coldplay-theyre-fine.htm

I listened the album and I love it, as I expected :) Some of the love lyrics are so heartbreaking.

But I kinda like their acoustic/live performances even more than the original songs on the album.

I agree. I feel the album is a bit over produced (like Mylo Xyloto). Their acoustic performances are far better than the album version.

• 2 weeks later...
^yes that was the first thing I thought when I heard that song!

i prefer In A Perfect World though, not sure why

also I'm really looking forward to finally seeing them live next month! :awesome:

I'm not sure yet which one I prefer. They're both amazing in their own way :) I have the feeling this album is a bit more electronic and colorfull whereas In A Perfect World was more acoustic and stripped down.

Where will you be seeing them? I'm seeing them in Antwerp on the 6th of March :D

Does ''Coming Alive'' remind anyone of Hurts Like Heaven? :D I think the Coldplay influence on this album is even more than before, I love it!

Totally! I thought about it when I first heard the song too. I hear so much Coldplay on this album, which is good, but I think I prefer In A Perfect World, because it's not so produced.

You're gonna see them live, that's awesome!