✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Colour blindness

Prince Myshkin

I think I have it between greeny browns and browny greens (I'm fine when there isn't any ambiguity - so I see the traffic light as green).

Anyway, I was reading up on it recently and found out that there is such a thing as a tetrachromats. As a species, humans are trichromatic. But there is a polymorphism in the red pigment, so not everybody has the same. It is possible for a female to have two different red receptors - say, orange-red and yellow-red. Tests have been done on retinas from an eye bank and found that some had the gene expression for four types of receptor. This was present in about 1 in 200 women. After carrying out genetic tests on people who say they have experiences seeing hues that other people can't see, it turns out that they have genes for the extra pigments. These people are tetrachromatic.

It is believed these people see a hundred times more colours than normal. Sounds pretty fucking cool.

So basically, does anybody have colour blindness or tetrachromatic vision?

How did you make such a test? Scientists are struggling to test for this and have had to develop new systems for this given that there is a huge learning experience to our experience of colour. Monitors and screens only show the colours trichromats would see, and most commercial paints are based on similar colour mixing. If you're surrounded by human made objects then there is nothing to stimulate the extra colour sense.

I got 27 so that's good I think

I swear though it was just like 3 colors in total and once you did the two extremes of colors and had something in the middle, the individual plates were indistinguishable, no idea how you can get a perfect score. Maybe if they were physical plates I could do it but my eyes were annoyed with looking at them

I don't think I have either of those things, but this thread does remind me of a story a professor once told me. The professor in question is extremely color blind. (He said his parents knew something was wrong when he mentioned to them that the neighbor's dog was green.) Anyway, in between stints of college, he went to go work at some textile factory or something, and one of the tests they have the employees do is to sort these squares of fabric (which were basically the same color) by shade. He explained to the person doing this test that he was color blind, but the person insisted that he just go ahead and do the test, anyway. What ended up happening is that, despite his color blindness, he ended up getting an exceptionally high score on this test, and they ended up hiring him as the head of color quality control or some position like that.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool.

I keep forgetting that one of my best friends is colour-blind, so sometimes he'll say that something is one colour when it's actually a different one. We were playing a board game with different coloured spaces recently, which ended up being pretty confusing.

That tetrachromatic vision sounds pretty interesting. I always wonder what it would be like to see the world like that. It reminds me of that shrimp that sees like a million times more colours than we do.

Colour blindness is becoming more and more important in our colour coded world.

Anyway, they have cured colour blindness in chimps and are now working on doing it in humans. The only obstacle appears to be how to do it safely. They even believe it will get to the stage where they will be able to offer everybody tetrachromatic sight. And you'd imagine everyone would take it. I would. It'd be like getting somebody a better tv, but it would be their everyday sight.

They even believe it will get to the stage where they will be able to offer everybody tetrachromatic sight. And you'd imagine everyone would take it. I would. It'd be like getting somebody a better tv, but it would be their everyday sight.

How would that work? Would they have to inject your eyes or something, or would you have to have new eyes, or what? I know nothing of how eyes work, so I have no idea how they would go about doing that.

I feel like this is the kind of thing Karl Pilkington and Ricky Gervais would have a discussion about.

This dude in my summer camp kept on rambling for 20 minutes about how pink is not a "real color" because it falls somewhere outside of red and violet on the visible light spectrum, so what we see as pink is not actually pink but a variety of different shades that we are unable to tell apart

Is this true too lazy to Google