✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Australia election: Rudd concedes as Abbott wins victory

busybeeburns

_69657564_019023794-1.jpg

Kevin Rudd (right) could not close the gap with Tony Abbott

Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has conceded defeat in the general election, as Tony Abbott's Liberal-National coalition swept to power.

With almost two-thirds of the votes counted, the opposition coalition has secured a parliamentary majority. Labor leader Mr Rudd said he had phoned Mr Abbott and wished him well.

The campaign has been dramatic, with Kevin Rudd ousting Julia Gillard as prime minister and Labor leader weeks from the polls. The economy, asylum and the carbon tax have been key election issues. Mr Rudd called the election after defeating Julia Gillard in a leadership challenge in June, amid dismal polling figures that showed Labor on course for a wipe-out.

Under Mr Rudd, Labor initially saw its figures improve significantly. But Mr Abbott, who enjoyed the strident support of Rupert Murdoch's newspapers, then broadened the gap again. "I gave it my all but it was not enough for us to win," Mr Rudd said. But he was pleased that Labor was preserved as a "viable fighting force for the future".

There has been no word yet from Mr Abbott, who took on the leadership of the coalition in 2009. A Rhodes scholar who once wanted to be a priest, Mr Abbott has pledged to repeal both the mining and carbon taxes introduced by Labor.

He has also promised a raft of budget cuts - including reducing the foreign aid budget by A$4.5bn ($4bn, £2.6bn) - but says he will fund an expanded paid parental leave scheme.

The economy has been at the heart of campaigning. Australia's next leader will be charged with managing the transition as the mining and resources boom subsides, amid slowing demand from China and slumping commodity prices. Both parties have also announced tough asylum policies to stem the number of people reaching Australia's shores by boat, an apparent cause of anxiety in some crucial swinging electorates.

The coalition, meanwhile, has highlighted bitter Labor infighting - seeking to portray itself as the more stable party. Former Labor Prime Minister Bob Hawke blamed the internal divisions for Labor's apparent defeat. "I really believe this was an election that was lost by the government rather than one that was won by the opposition."

More than 14 million people were expected to vote in Saturday's election. Voting is compulsory in Australia. Polling closed in eastern states at 18:00 (08:00GMT) and in Western Australia two hours later.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24000133

Despite the name 'Liberal Party' - they are rather conservative or right-wing.

OP points out some of those policies - repealing carbon and mining tax, reducing foreign aid, expanding paid parental leave (I think this heavily favours the mother taking it tho). Another rather sore point around my social circle lessening the extent of the work undertaken with the National Broadband Network (replacing our 30ish-year-old copper system with fiber) by making it fiber-to-the-node (a cabinet that serves a neighbourhood) instead of Labor's to-the-premises plan.

Not to mention all the creepy sexist comments Abbott has made... saying one of his female candidates has 'sex appeal' (don't remember if this was an appeal to voters to vote for her) and trying to appeal to Big Brother housemates by saying 'I'm the one with the attractive daughters'.

He is a lizard man. Well, in my thoughts anyway, I shall call him the lizard man.

Let's not forget though that Rudd had equally as harsh and racist policies planned on asylum seekers... especially those arriving by sea. As far as I am aware he did not look to reverse the cuts the previous Labor PM that he replaced (Julia Gillard) made to single parents allowance from social welfare, making them start on smaller payments when their kids reached 8 instead of 16. In most respects his views on other things were a bit better but by lordy-loo was it the lesser of two evils.

Seems like the instability the Labor party had cost them more than Liberal winning people over with their policies, I don't know how the bumbling campaign of Liberal would have been the number one reason apart from the fact that they pointed fingers at Labor and screeched 'TEH INSTABILITY!!! SHUUUUN!!!!'

Aussie politiks on Coldplaying! God you really can find anything here. Yeah Abbot kinda reminds me of Gorn from Star Trek

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1eFdUSnaQM]Worst Fight Scene Ever - YouTube[/ame]

Anyone care that New Zealand's labour party has a new leader?

EDIT: Whoah, I actually spelt politics like that by accident.