✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Share an article that interested you today

Prince Myshkin

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-01-02/biggest-redistribution-wealth-middle-class-and-poor-rich-ever-explained

Unless the distribution of wealth in America begins to change for the better, assets will continue to benefit the rich and debt will continue to burden the middle class and the poor.

For an economy that’s largely based on consumption, excess debt only serves to reduce expenditures and to slow economic growth over time.

Quality of life for the median American household is only going to get better if the issues associated monetary policy, entitlements, taxes, and income are addressed and dealt with.

"The Fall of France", by Janine Di Giovanni

http://www.newsweek.com/fall-france-225368#.Usr0i4UGMhU.twitter

It interested me at first but quickly just made me quite angry, as it is full of mistakes (I don't mean grammar mistakes, I mean wrong/unverified/invented facts), and completely biased.

Anyway, one of those French-bashing articles that have been quite trendy apparently.

"The Fall of France", by Janine Di Giovanni

http://www.newsweek.com/fall-france-225368#.Usr0i4UGMhU.twitter

It interested me at first but quickly just made me quite angry, as it is full of mistakes (I don't mean grammar mistakes, I mean wrong/unverified/invented facts), and completely biased.

Anyway, one of those French-bashing articles that have been quite trendy apparently.

Well the 75% tax-rate can't be helping.

Well the 75% tax-rate can't be helping.
The 75% tax-rate was declared unconstitutional at first, but since our silly president really wanted his promise to somehow make it, the tax rate now somehow relies on some companies. And most people don't have a 70% tax-rate, that's completely wrong. When you add up the different kinds of taxes, you have a few very fortunate people getting something around that %, sure, but most of the time, people with a lot of wealth benefit a lot from all sorts of tax deductions.

What infuriates me is that she is vague and making wrong generalizations, because she is clearly unfamiliar with how the system works in France, or how it was built (hm social security didn't appear right after WWI...), and, on top of that, she adds some completely invented (silly) things that makes France sound like a crazy, ridiculous place: the price of milk for instance or how diapers/nappies and day nurseries are free? Like, seriously. Completely bogus.

She might have some sort of point regarding France's politics, but it is/should be invalidated by the overload of inaccurate or simply wrong information.

/offtopic

Still though, you could have a right winger in...

The left need to learn through experience, as badly as they are doing now.

I just find it quite dangerous that it is considered acceptable for journalists to publish stuff like that. Twisting reality to express your opinion, that's the daily life of politicians, and exactly the opposite of what journalists are supposed to do.

I just find it quite dangerous that it is considered acceptable for journalists to publish stuff like that. Twisting reality to express your opinion, that's the daily life of politicians, and exactly the opposite of what journalists are supposed to do.

I'm used to the English press so it's no real surprise for me.

This is less interesting and more funny

Pocket money link to drug use by teenagers

There is also this "fantastic" piece of journalism, less funny but you gotta love Facebook research, this was on the front of the paper as "Easton Woodhead had it all before him - young, popular and a 2012 Melbourne Grammar graduate. Then he started smoking marijuana - and everything changed. Yesterday he was charged with the murder of homeless man Wayne 'Mousey' Perry"

Accused killer of homeless man was popular grammar boy who changed on drugs

Surprisingly, this newspaper is not typically this ridiculously sensationalist and is often beaten by another.