✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

NO COLOR SONG!

matti

Chris has said in the past that the colour song titles are just coincidence. I too think midnight could be the colour title but it seems doubtful considering ink could also be considered a title. What Chris has confirmed in the past though is that he tries to always have at least three songs on a album that starts with the same letter. This time being "A".

IIRC, it was brought up to the Oracle as well. I'm para-para-paraphrasing but the response was that it's not something the band goes out of their way to try and do. The oracle actually didn't count Charlie Brown as a "colour song" anyways.

Edit: Here's the Oracle post

April 16, 2013 / submitted by Angela, United Kingdom

Q. Hi Oracle ! :)

I would like to know.. There's a colour song in each album:

- Yellow in Parachutes

- Green Eyes in AROBTTH

- White Shadows in X&Y

- Violet Hill in VLVODAAHF

- Charlie Brown in Mylo Xyloto

Did they do this on purpose or it's just a coincidence ?

Thanks !

The Oracle Replies

Total coincidence. Violet Hill is a place and Charlie Brown is a name so I don't associate either of those songs with their title's colour.

Nah, just haven't seen it being discussed before until now. Also, apart from having the name of a color in the title, why is it a thing, exactly?

Just another one of those little things the fandom can talk about, like CarKids and 42. Meaningless in the end, but good to kill time with in between albums

edit: oh god, wouldn't car kids be amazing as one of the exclusive target songs?!

See, ^ just like that, meaningless, unlikely but keeps the fandom running

Blue Dream, Celeste, Psyche in Silver

Back to the topic of the missing color name song in Ghost Stories, I was curious and I got in the website of Mila Furstova, the designer of the album covers, and I found out those names that makes me thing that could have been inspiration for Coldplay to some song titles, especially for the famous color name song of each album. So... thinking about the whole theme of the album and considering that there will be 3 bonus tracks, could those ones be those songs? And not only one color name song, even three color name songs? Or maybe they could be included as hidden tracks.

Take a look at these explanations:

- Blue: Blue is the colour of the clear sky and the deep sea. On the optical spectrum, blue is located between violet and green.

Surveys in the U.S. and Europe show that blue is the colour most commonly associated with harmony, faithfulness, and confidence. In U.S. and European public opinion polls it is overwhelmingly the most popular colour, chosen by almost half of both men and women as their favourite colour. It is also commonly associated with the sky, the sea, ice, cold, and sometimes with sadness.

- Celeste: Heaven (Latin caelum; tangi of caelum ': be-touched-struck by lightning) is often defined as the space in which the stars move and visual effect seems to surround the Earth. In astronomy, sky blue field stands for: an imaginary dome on which the Sun, stars, planets and the moon are distributed. The celestial sphere is divided into regions called constellations.

In mythology, among the Romans, the Latin name of the god Uranus and pre-Olympic deities.

- Psyche: In psychology, the psyche /ˈsaɪki/ is the totality of the human mind, conscious, and unconscious. Psychology is the scientific or objective study of the psyche. The word has a long history of use in psychology and philosophy, dating back to ancient times, and has been one of the fundamental concepts for understanding human nature from a scientific point of view. The English word soul is sometimes used synonymously, especially in older texts.

Don't you think that it all makes some sense?

Nah, just haven't seen it being discussed before until now. Also, apart from having the name of a color in the title, why is it a thing, exactly?

Yellow (Parachutes)

Green Eyes (AROBTH)

White Shadows (X&Y)

Violet Hill (Viva la Vida)

Charlie Brown (MX)

and ??? (Ghost Stories)

Something that makes no sense to the Coldplay fan.

Nowadays there are inks of lots of colors, so it could be but it looks like it is more generic. I'm starting to consider Midnight as the color song, as a dark blue almost black color, at least until they confirm which ones are the 3 bonus tracks or if there are some hidden tracks.

Again, why do we need a colour song at all? Is it purely desperation to keep the streak going? A streak Coldplay have denied existing intentionally anyways?

edit: For the record, Midnight would be a closer 'colour song' than Ink anyways.

• 11 months later...
Yellow (Parachutes)

Green Eyes (AROBTH)

White Shadows (X&Y)

Violet Hill (Viva la Vida)

Charlie Brown (MX)

and ??? (Ghost Stories)

Something that makes no sense to the Coldplay fan.

I was pondering on the colours of the last 6 LP's....and also the confetti used in each era....I just love the way they have always had art in their music in a way....that whole blend of science/music/art....

Anyone have any further thoughts?.....What type of confetti could be used for LP7?

Just thinking what has been used....butterflies, stars....