✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A Sky Full of Stars - your review

Sparky

I am compiling an ultimate Coldplaying fan review of Ghost Stories.

It will be posted on the main site shortly after the best review for each song on the album is picked, your name will be listed in credit should your review be chosen! Closing date is Monday 26th May

Get your writing fingers ready! Good luck! :)

You can also vote in the poll too, out of 10 which will be interesting as its usually only when a pre-album single is released.

A Sky Full of Stars is a rousing song on a minimalistic, serene album. The opening piano is upbeat and a complete change of mood from the previous track on the album, Oceans, which was a more mellow and stripped-back affair. Chris Martin's vocals are sharp and his lyrics are hopeful. The production of A Sky Full of Stars was done by Avicii, a solid DJ/producer who has been behind many EDM hits of recent times. This song explodes into an instrumental EDM type chorus that undoubtedly sounds similar to big house songs that have found success in the charts. But, in its entirety, A Sky Full of Stars would just be another one of those mainstream house songs if it wasn't for Martin's excellent delivery and the perfect guitar licks done by Jonny Buckland. A Sky Full of Stars is still not the most original song, but it is catchy, and a fun celebration on a gloomy record.

9/10

The only moment of release and euphoria in a heartbreaking album, A Sky Full of Stars starts with a classic Coldplay piano riff. Such riff is so catchy that it immediately lifts the song to a hit status. However, it finds Chris Martin's lyrics at its worst, since they are excessively repetitively and a bit too corny. Worst part comes when the song builds up and explodes into EDM, with the help of Avicii. After anyone has heard this song live, it is obvious that the band could have made up something very similar without compromising so much. Of special attention is Jonny's riff throughout the song, indeed lifting it in an unprecedented way. In a very subtle album, this song screams charts and sales. When compared to Viva la Vida (a massive hit), it is clear that the boys did not make it through this time.

6/10.

A Sky Full Of Stars is a bittersweet EDM climax for Ghost Stories, very clearly produced by the poster-child of Swedish-house, Avicii. The fast paced, airy piano that opens the track is a welcome blast of optimism but builds with Chris Martin's clean (and understandably cheesy) vocals to the expected crescendo of modern day dance beats. This becomes the greatest detractor for an otherwise decent track. Rightfully drawing comparisons from Rihanna's "We Found Love," the song directly treads on the same tracks of other EDM hits that are ultimately far better. The production here is top-notch, but drowns out the interesting instrumentation with heavy synths and repetitive beats. Different textures are offered , notably the acoustic guitar during the second verse and the "Streets Have No Name," sendoff, but they can't help this track from feeling overly generic, or worse, more like a remix. Coldplay was striving for the same joyous romps as Every Tear Drop Is A Waterfall, Paradise, or even Viva La Vida, but A Sky Full Of Stars ultimately falls short of becoming the unique classic.

5/10

If I heard this track on the radio without knowing who it was, I would love it. I would have seen it as a long like "Hey Brother" by Avicii- something that made me feel good rather than something that I enjoy lyrically or musically. Then I realised- ASFOS IS Hey Brother, and every other Avicii song. It is Avicci ft. Chris Martin, which is the biggest disappointment for me about this song. It sticks out like a sore thumb on the album, tearing apart the relaxed and chilled vibes with in-your-face synths and brash bass drum. But I can't stop singing along to it. I can't stop imagining being in the crowd when it's played, and jumping up and down. I can't get it out of my head, which means quite a lot. It's so obviously the song from Ghost Stories that was intended to sell and chart well, and I can't blame Coldplay for that. It is this album's "ETIAW", but with a bit less heart. As a live spectacle and as a feel-good song, I would rate ASFOS extremely highly, but as an album track, I think it is extremely out of place and very commercial.

6/10

I see this as the beacon of hope in what is a heartbreak record however I don't really get a positive Coldplay vibe from it. Maybe it was the hype around the track but I thought it would be THE hit from the album. I am surprised it hasn't been a radio hit as it really has the potential to do so. Overall I think it fits into the album with the end of Oceans and I bet it will be fantastic live with less of a manufactured EDM vibe.

6/10

A good song but completely out of place on this album. I have no beef with Avicii or EDM. A good song but it feels wrong to be wanting to dance and spin just after being brought close to tears on Oceans. Yes, it shows how versatile Coldplay are and how they can make you feel two polar opposites in just over 9 minutes of music (Oceans and ASFOS) but, for me, doesn't belong on the album.

As a song 8/10

On the album 6/10

"A sky full of stars"

Oh, let's try to write review for this one. If there would be possibility to choose - do you want this song on album or not - I would say no. But we have it and we have to put up with it. Good quality pop song, but lyrics are boring, except such a heavenly view. It's not my cup of tea. Well, maybe it's not too bad that we have one song for dancing at parties. It might sound better for you when you will drink some liqueur or other drink, haha. But it's very bad that A sky full of stars is going to be hit from Ghost Stories. Situation will be like on Mylo Xyloto - they will always play Paradise, even though there are many better songs from MX. Same with Ghost Stories - they will play only "A sky full of stars" even though there are songs like O, Always in my head, Midnight etc. Anyway, I'm not going to hate this song, I will just ignore it.

Coldplay have always managed to create a show stopping number on each album that will stand the test of time - Yellow, Clocks, Fix You, Viva La Vida, Paradise. Ghost Stories’ candidate can be found in A Sky Full Of Stars.

I am going to say this up front - this is the most positive song on the album. It almost seems out of place in the overall scheme of things but that doesn’t mean it’s a disappointing song. This is a song that is bound to get your out of your seat and dancing.

Filled to the brim with pulsating EDM beats and a piano riff from another unlikely source in Avicii, Martin’s lyrics are extremely delightful, although they do get a bit repetitive. However, this song is too glorious to even care. It’s in the lyrics “Cause you get lighter the more it gets dark” and “Go on and tear me apart / I don’t care if you do” that listeners get the impression that this is a love song of a different kind.

The only negative I have with A Sky Full Of Stars is that it sounds like any pop star could’ve made it. However, Coldplay have managed to keep their trademark soaring melodies and climaxes that makes them so identifiable.

RATING - 5/5

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...

This song was excellent and have a place of this album. If you look the lyrics, this song was heartbreaking but also resilient. It's a song who Chris became transition the darkness to the lightness of his end of his relationship who he started to became the light of his chanel. It's wasn't just a EDM song, the lyrics was more deep and emotional. This song was a testify of resilience and have the place at the end of the album because after he put all his emotionals (angers, pain, sadness) about his personal life, Chris voice was more colourful and agile, but also like the rest of the album, very sad and emotional. It's also fit with the ambient, synth-pop sound of this album. This was a transition to darkness to daylight, i hear that in his entire song.