✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

How has Coldplay changed you?

Guest FlyboyTrevy

Guest FlyboyTrevy

Hey Guys!

There are so many reasons why Coldplay is the greatest band in the world. But everyone has their own personal reasons, and experiences that made them love the band so much. I could go on and on, how easy going and polite the guys are, the musical and lyrical depth and breadth. But I think it would be better and make more sense if we all shared our experiences and reasons.

Me personally, first off, they are so much Deeper theatrically and musically, it doesnt just feel like music or another band, to me... it feels like Coldplay are Artists. They are creating the most beautiful and wonderful pieces of art people can dream up. And the way in which they present that is better than anyone else can.

But I think there is something deeper to this. I think all of us have deeper more personal reasons why we connect with the band and their music so much.

Me... Years ago I struggled with the loss of a close family member. It was a car accident that killed her, and thats when I stumbled upon The Scientist music video. I had heard the song on the radio multiple times, and loved it, but never really searched. Remember, this was late 2002, so the Internet wasnt a huge thing. I dug around a ton of local stores, and discovered, Coldplay...

The Scientist Music video brought me to tears, I connected with that so much. It was interesting and cool, up until the end reveal of the story, and I broke...

Then, 2008 happens, I'm struggling with depression, and Viva La Vida or Death & All His Friends: Changed. My. Life. It was released and turned everything around. The tales of a life worth living, and realizing that your life is something to be grateful for. Something to enjoy and make the most out of for yourself and for other people.

This was further ignited in me when Mylo Xyloto, the tales of Color and expression bursting through a world of oppression and a sea of grey. Hearing Up With The Birds, breathed a new light in me that not only motivated me to be where I am now, but once again, changed me as a person.

-----------------------------

So how has Coldplay changed your lives? Or what is it about them that makes you love them.

Cheer's To All of You!

TJ

Hey Guys!

There are so many reasons why Coldplay is the greatest band in the world. But everyone has their own personal reasons, and experiences that made them love the band so much. I could go on and on, how easy going and polite the guys are, the musical and lyrical depth and breadth. But I think it would be better and make more sense if we all shared our experiences and reasons.

Me personally, first off, they are so much Deeper theatrically and musically, it doesnt just feel like music or another band, to me... it feels like Coldplay are Artists. They are creating the most beautiful and wonderful pieces of art people can dream up. And the way in which they present that is better than anyone else can.

But I think there is something deeper to this. I think all of us have deeper more personal reasons why we connect with the band and their music so much.

Me... Years ago I struggled with the loss of a close family member. It was a car accident that killed her, and thats when I stumbled upon The Scientist music video. I had heard the song on the radio multiple times, and loved it, but never really searched. Remember, this was late 2002, so the Internet wasnt a huge thing. I dug around a ton of local stores, and discovered, Coldplay...

The Scientist Music video brought me to tears, I connected with that so much. It was interesting and cool, up until the end reveal of the story, and I broke...

Then, 2008 happens, I'm struggling with depression, and Viva La Vida or Death & All His Friends: Changed. My. Life. It was released and turned everything around. The tales of a life worth living, and realizing that your life is something to be grateful for. Something to enjoy and make the most out of for yourself and for other people.

This was further ignited in me when Mylo Xyloto, the tales of Color and expression bursting through a world of oppression and a sea of grey. Hearing Up With The Birds, breathed a new light in me that not only motivated me to be where I am now, but once again, changed me as a person.

-----------------------------

So how has Coldplay changed your lives? Or what is it about them that makes you love them.

Cheer's To All of You!

TJ

*squeezes eyes*

*hits CTRL - a few times*

well, let's just say, if I'm having a bad time and I see/hear/listen anything Coldplay related it makes me feel better. They influenced me that much that even a mentioning them in any way triggers so much random stuff in my brain that I'm feeling great after a few couple of seconds.

Guest FlyboyTrevy

Awesome!

Hey Batman, Im exactly the same, particularly MX, whenever I hear the music it makes me a lot happier.

Guest FlyboyTrevy
For me - as a 64 year old - it's made me feel like a teenager again. SFOS just blasting out from my bedroom now as I type.......

Wow, Ive never met someone as old that enjoy's coldplay. Thats awesome!

I'm sure most of it was because I was just a lame 15 year-old with shitty music taste, but when Viva released, I almost instantly changed my entire taste in music. It shifted from Christian rock to alternative rock in less than a year, and it's already grown out and expanded more in the six years since. Because of Coldplay, I've met some very close friends I never would have met previously, and I've gone places I never would have imagined had I never talked to the same people.

It's incredibly cheesy, and a bit complex, but I have Coldplay to thank (in some way) for where I am today. I love that. And speaking of Viva, today's six year anniversary also marks the day I became a fan of Coldplay. Good times!

Hi.

I'm completely in love with Coldplay ♥ I was 14 when I got Parachutes and AROBTTH together after hearing their music on the radio for years and at 24 I now own all the other albums too. I love their music so much and love how different each album is! I feel like Coldplay have shaped me in a way. They have sort of given me something to turn to through their music. The lyrics in their songs are amazing and I can really relate to them. In September 2011 my Mum passed away and a couple of mornings after losing her I was lying in bed with my earphones in listening to the radio. As soon as the radio came on I recognised Chris Martin's voice and enjoyed listening to new Coldplay material (it was Paradise by the way :) ) that I wasnt even expecting (with everything that had happened with my Mum I don't think I realised when they were releasing new material). Anyway, when I went back to uni a couple of weeks later to do my final year, I think their music really helped me, especially when they released Mylo Xyloto. I guess Coldplay helped me to grieve! I like how Coldplay differ in sound and you can aways find a song to suit your mood. When I got back home to the UK after seeing Coldplay in Paris I used the "Life is for living" lyric in my Facebook post and made a point of saying it was something they said ^_^ I hope they continue to make people across the world happy for many more years to come! x

Guest FlyboyTrevy
Hi.

I'm completely in love with Coldplay ♥ I was 14 when I got Parachutes and AROBTTH together after hearing their music on the radio for years and at 24 I now own all the other albums too. I love their music so much and love how different each album is! I feel like Coldplay have shaped me in a way. They have sort of given me something to turn to through their music. The lyrics in their songs are amazing and I can really relate to them. In September 2011 my Mum passed away and a couple of mornings after losing her I was lying in bed with my earphones in listening to the radio. As soon as the radio came on I recognised Chris Martin's voice and enjoyed listening to new Coldplay material (it was Paradise by the way :) ) that I wasnt even expecting (with everything that had happened with my Mum I don't think I realised when they were releasing new material). Anyway, when I went back to uni a couple of weeks later to do my final year, I think their music really helped me, especially when they released Mylo Xyloto. I guess Coldplay helped me to grieve! I like how Coldplay differ in sound and you can aways find a song to suit your mood. When I got back home to the UK after seeing Coldplay in Paris I used the "Life is for living" lyric in my Facebook post and made a point of saying it was something they said ^_^ I hope they continue to make people across the world happy for many more years to come! x

I have a friend who very much had the same sort of experience as you. Very cool.

So this is my a little bit of story why Coldplay has changed my life ever since:

I listened to Dont Panic back in 2001, I was 8 years old, my sister used to mix songs in one single cassette and this song has always been my favorite since then! The song's got cut out at the end but I felt I was falling in love for the first time with the band. Funny thing at that time was I didnt even know who sang the song until 2005 -- I discovered Speed of Sound on MTV and my cousin showed the X&Y album to me and I began to realize that Coldplay has been really tuning in my head for a few years! Since then, my love for the band has grown...and till now even more! The band has changed me from my personality, music taste, and literally different comparing with other people's music taste over Coldplay, I mean I also do listen to any other bands or singers but Coldplay is obviously and apparently on top of my list, and will always be!

The band always gives fans surprises, new genres in every album, new looks, and even new concepts of concerts. All I can say this now that I am very thankful to know them as public figures, I always respect in what they do. Thank you, Coldplay! :) :) :)

While it was a big part of my life from the ages of 15-16 I think of Coldplay as more of an accompaniment to the various events and stages/periods of time in my life, the songs that speak to me change over time though there's always a core that I hold close

blabber blaber

Guest FlyboyTrevy

The band always gives fans surprises, new genres in every album, new looks, and even new concepts of concerts.

Very True. It seems nothing can be truly "expected" from the band. They are always on their feet to surprise us with new ventures and beauty.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FlyboyTrevy
before Coldplay I had horrible music taste....but then Viva happened :P

Yes me as well. Coldplay over the years has entirely transformed my tastes into things far more colorful, vibrant, and wonderful. I thank them continually for that.

I´m not sure if Coldplay really changed me. But this is a good moment to think about my first time listening to Coldplay and how it developed over the years...

Before I heard Coldplay I was deep in the music of Genesis and Marillion, old bands also with deep musical journeys, tales and goose-bumping atmosphere. My first songs I ever heard from Coldplay was The Scientist, Politik and Clocks. It happened instantly that I fell in love with their music. I had some MP3s from them but soon got the entire Rush of Blood album. It was the time when I was together with my then-girldfriend who also liked their music. Rush grew so close to me that I was looking forward to X&Y. I remember people saying that it sounded to much the same like Rush but I disagreed. It was a few years later that I finally bought Parachutes. The atmosphere on it was so warm, so intimate and nothing like I have heard before. And then came the big moment: I started to collect B-Sides... I couldn´t believe there were SO MANY! Crest of Waves, Animals... I have goose-bumps all over me RIGHT NOW just thinking about it! I have never seen a band that has so many unknown non-album tracks that were partly better than the songs on the albums. Then came Viva la Vida with its positive attitude and yet it strikes you to tears, especially when hearing the song Prospekt´s March. The imagery in my head during the verses is like an old movie full of melancholia. There are those goose-bumps again... I couldn´t wait until MX came out and again the colors in the music spread around in my soul. So much energy and positive thoughts! That was also the first time when I saw them live on a concert! I was in Cologne when I realized that I was watching the best concert in my live! So much energy, so much fireworks, paper flying around and the blinking LED strips on all the peoples´arms! The concert was way too short, but so was the MX as an album. I was a bit disappointed about that fact, also that there was only one single B-Side. But even that was worth it! I then found the non-album track "How You See The World" that is still running in my car with the volume up to the max! Then came Ghoststories and I have to admit that I still haven´t hooked up to it yet. I heard it only one time since the release and was a bit disappointed. It sounds too technical and also I´m a drum-lover and there were too many drum machine-like sounds on it. But I´m sure it will grow over time...

Did Coldplay changed me? I think they have when you see the many songs that connect seamlessly into my life. They have given me power in hard times, gave me hope when needed it and I just like the goose-bumps on my arms... perhaps because I have split from my girl-friend a while back and want to look into the future now I cannot really connect to Ghoststories yet. Too much reminds me of old times...

I hope there will be many many more albums in the future... for the soundtrack of my life...

• 2 years later...
Coldplay is the single most overrated band. Nickelback is by far the greatest band that's ever existed as evidence, I conceived my first child with "Animals" on repeat, "Rockstar" gave me a totally new direction in life and their Dark Horse Album is Grammy worthy. Coldplay SUCKS!!!!!

HOW DARE YOU!!!!. Cold Play is a national treasure. Nickleback is a bunch of washed up has-beens who couldn't sing their way out of a paper bag. Those of us at the "We would die for ColdPlay" Buffalo chapter challenge you to think of one song by nickle back that has touched as many lives as Cold Plays Viva La Vida. Also why dont you educate yourself. Not only was Nicklebacks Rockstar a knockoff but instead it was a tribute to how much nickleback wants to be coldplay. #ColdPlayforlife

i'm loving this weird af Nickelback trolling going on here, but actually can we legit revive this thread? i think this is such an interesting question that i'm sure many of the newer Coldplayers might like to answer... and since i never responded to this thread, either:

part of what i find so interesting here is that i'm not sure i could say that Coldplay CHANGED me. they have... become me? well, when i first started listening to them i was only 13 (12.5 if you want to get technical... almost half my life now), so i hadn't really become my own person yet. so it's for that reason that i can't say they changed me. there wasn't a set me yet to change. :P and being a Coldplayer, defining yourself as a Coldplayer, is more of a lifestyle than just a fandom, you know? maybe that's true for any kind of "hardcore" fan, but definitely true in this case, in my experience...

probably there were pieces of me solidifying when i was 13 that were what drew me to Coldplay from the start and what kept me coming back, even after the last three eras which saw many other Coldplayers lose interest - and sometimes faith - in the band. i love sci-fi and it's no coincidence that my two favorite Coldplay albums are the two most sci-fi, MX and X&Y. and then of course my hippie brain loves all the peace and happiness stuff going on in AHFOD era. the band just have this incredible way of making me feel so happy listening to their music.

sometimes i really connect with what Chris says about how he can look around at his life and think that none of it would be the same without the band. in many ways that's true for me, too. so many things that have happened to me over the years, people i've become friends with and remain in at least slight contact with, and so many things that i do now stem from me being a Coldplayer, even if i don't realize it anymore.

so i guess to sum it all up, it's just that i've been a fan for so long and from a young enough age that i don't really remember "me" before Coldplay. i don't think they changed me - who i was going to become probably just aligned with what the band represents to me anyway, miraculously even after all these years - but they definitely have helped to really shape most aspects of my life and who i am today.

• Like 1