✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay Songs referencing other coldplay songs

Doolittle2008

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In White Shadows, it says "things you never understand" => Things I Don't Understand

I wanna emphasize one thing though. I believe most of these things are not actual and deliberate references to other songs, but the results of Chris being preoccupied with the same themes and phrases during a certain time.

In White Shadows, it says "things you never understand" => Things I Don't Understand

I wanna emphasize one thing though. I believe most of these things are not actual and deliberate references to other songs, but the results of Chris being preoccupied with the same themes and phrases during a certain time.

That nailed it. My friends used to joke when i'd get into my car that I was going on a trip with Coldplay to "outer space," and that my car might just take off. The theme of outer space is a popular one. LP's 2 and 3 both start in outer space that's for sure. Look at earth from outer space and then maybe the most outer space odyssey song of all, Square One. "Look at the stars." :) i think it's a great musical theme. full of awe and wonder and mystery and beauty.

Yes, it it. Also, I have the feeling that songs were Coldplay/Chris felt genuinely uncertain about their future, doubtful if they'll make it and worryng about tlife were the best. A common theme of doubt about one#s place in life runs through all early EPs and the first 3 albums.

Is it just me or does the X&Y era have the most of these instances? I think the lyrics are more closely intertwined than those of any other era.

Probably because they reworked those songs so many times they all just blended together

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one I never knew before! (And just checked the thread, this one never got posted either, so yay for original thinking!:D)

A Whisper - I hear the sound of a ticking of clocks

The lyrics have the word "Clocks" in it's name, which is also the name of a very, very popular and amazing Coldplay song (which we all know).

Clocks - Closing walls and ticking clocks

I wonder why Coldplay does this to other songs in a specific album in the first place... I'm not criticizing them at all for it, I'm just curious as to why they refer to other songs in the same album, it's quite interesting how that is :D

I wanna emphasize one thing though. I believe most of these things are not actual and deliberate references to other songs' date=' but the results of Chris being preoccupied with the same themes and phrases during a certain time[/quote']

Minus Paradise's lyrics reffering to Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall, which I'm almost certain is a deliberate reference :P

That nailed it. My friends used to joke when i'd get into my car that I was going on a trip with Coldplay to "outer space' date='" and that my car might just take off. The theme of outer space is a popular one. LP's 2 and 3 both start in outer space that's for sure. Look at earth from outer space and then maybe the most outer space odyssey song of all, Square One. "Look at the stars." :) i think it's a great musical theme. full of awe and wonder and mystery and beauty.[/quote']

Don't forget the lyrics from Yellow: "Look at the stars, look how they shine for you".

These two themes, outer space and flying, have a few things in common: you're at a high height from anything, your feet aren't touching anything... interesting. I think Chris really likes heights... heights. NEW heights. BIGGER heights. Even metaphorical... heights! I've GOT IT!!!!

Maybe he's putting all these lyrics about reaching high heights whether in the form of birds, no feet touching the ground, or outer space, maybe because he wants to reach there too, but I think there's also a metaphorical sign to it... to reach new heights! He's might be showing us in a different way that he's always trying to reach new heights... he's always trying his best when it comes to music. He's trying his best with the artwork, the feel of different music, the feel of different albums, and he's always trying something different and trying his best on each new album to try to reach those new heights... and this probably does apply to the other band members as well. Now we know why each album sounds so great in it's own way... and each has it's own different atmosphere and feel... and immersiveness and artwork that seems to connect together in ways we probably have never even thought of yet. The band is trying to reach new heights with everything like this and that's why all of Coldplay's work is so magnificent... there's always something new you find if you listen a little closer. Just like this theory I'm coming up with right now... it's very interesting indeed.

Although Chris did say if he wanted any superpower of his choice he wanted to be able to fly... so there definetely is a real side to it too.

Yes' date=' it it. Also, I have the feeling that songs were Coldplay/Chris felt genuinely uncertain about their future, doubtful if they'll make it and worryng about tlife were the best. A common theme of doubt about one#s place in life runs through all early EPs and the first 3 albums.[/quote']

Hmm... maybe that's why their first 3 albums had that feel to them. They were always uncertain about their future, and they knew how that felt so it felt more authentic. We've clearly seen that they've broken out of that stage now and now feel comfortable and happy and very cheerful about their future, as majorly displayed in MX. This is one thing to consider, as if they try to go back to the "unsafe, insecure" feeling of the first 3 albums, it probably won't feel as authentic because they doesn't feel that way now. they knew exactly how it felt back then to be unsure of his future, which flowed into their first 3 albums. If they try to write an entire album based on that again when they're not feeling that way anymore it won't feel as real and authentic as the first 3 just because they're not feeling that way anymore and doesn't know exactly how it feels to be legitimately unsure of their future. Just a thought... a saddening one at that, because we probably won't be seeing an "insecure"-type album as authentic as the first 3.

Sorry for this unnecessarily long post. I just got really in-depth on my new thoughts I came up with...

I've never noticed this one before until now... Death Will Never Conquer and Now My Feet Won't Touch the Ground share a line:

"Let me go, boys, let me go"

Another unrelated case occurs with Rainy Day and Death And All His Friends. In both songs Chris mentions someone "coming over." That one is not surprising because School was moved from Rainy Day to DAAHF.

Here's one I never knew before! (And just checked the thread, this one never got posted either, so yay for original thinking!:D)

A Whisper - I hear the sound of a ticking of clocks

The lyrics have the word "Clocks" in it's name, which is also the name of a very, very popular and amazing Coldplay song (which we all know).

Clocks - Closing walls and ticking clocks

I wonder why Coldplay does this to other songs in a specific album in the first place... I'm not criticizing them at all for it, I'm just curious as to why they refer to other songs in the same album, it's quite interesting how that is :D

Clocks is connected with both A Whisper and Daylight.

From Daylight:

"Slowly breaking through the daylight"

From A Whisper:

"Night turns to day and I still have these questions

You just won't break, should I go forwards or backwards

Night turns to day and I've still got no answers"

Clocks for me is about the questions and fears that come with making big decisions for the future - where will I end up, am I running out of time? After that, in Daylight, things start to improve. But then in A Whisper, he talks about how even though he's happier, he's still doubtful about the direction of his life.

This is one thing to consider, as if they try to go back to the "unsafe, insecure" feeling of the first 3 albums, it probably won't feel as authentic because they doesn't feel that way now. they knew exactly how it felt back then to be unsure of his future, which flowed into their first 3 albums. If they try to write an entire album based on that again when they're not feeling that way anymore it won't feel as real and authentic as the first 3 just because they're not feeling that way anymore and doesn't know exactly how it feels to be legitimately unsure of their future. Just a thought... a saddening one at that, because we probably won't be seeing an "insecure"-type album as authentic as the first 3.

I think, that (unfortunately), you're absolutely right about that. :( I'd love to hear them make an album about memories, nostalgia and missed choices (cursed missed opportunities ;)) once, but I think they are too positive for even that. Maybe in the far, far future.

Clocks is connected with both A Whisper and Daylight.

From Daylight:

"Slowly breaking through the daylight"

From A Whisper:

"Night turns to day and I still have these questions

You just won't break, should I go forwards or backwards

Night turns to day and I've still got no answers"

Clocks for me is about the questions and fears that come with making big decisions for the future - where will I end up, am I running out of time? After that, in Daylight, things start to improve. But then in A Whisper, he talks about how even though he's happier, he's still doubtful about the direction of his life.

Great theory! I agree... that's probably why the lyrics are intertwined like that. I never noticed the Daylight side, good Catch! :D

I think' date=' that (unfortunately), you're absolutely right about that. :( [b']I'd love to hear them make an album about memories, nostalgia and missed choices (cursed missed opportunities ;)) once, but I think they are too positive for even that.[/b] Maybe in the far, far future.

You know what, that'd be a perfect compromise! :D it could have the same dark theme as the first three albums (although there could be a bright side to it, which is actually fine, it'd actually give more depth to the album if you know what I mean) which they seem to be masters at. Eventually they'll make an album about that and hopefully it'll be like those first four albums. I love the new stuff as well but I'd love to hear another one of those types of oldplay albums in in the future. I'd be interested to see what the story in that album would be...

Well, hopefully they'll eventually make that kind of album...

I'm feeling that it's a bit too early for Coldplay to write an album about that already though.

Speed of sound: If you've never tried then you'll never know

Fix you: But if you never try you'll never know

Adding on to this, (a little less obvious) but the lyrics from What If makes this a "lyric triplet":

"How can you know it, if you don't even try"

BTW, what a gorgeous song that is...

Also, not sure if this was posted before, but, lyrics from White Shadows:

"Things you never understand" --> reference to the title "Things I Don't Understand".

Just came up with another one (lyric triplet! :D). These are only loosely connected and are probably a coincidence but I think it works. This is also the first entry to include a newest song, Amazing Day!! :D

Amazing Day: "Sat on a roof, named every star"

White Shadows: "All of the stars and the outer space"

Politik: "Look at Earth from outer space"

All of them involve outer space/stars... another thing with Coldplay just like with flying. I think I posted a possible theory as to what this may mean on the last page...

Glass of Water - "Will I see heaven in mine?"

Atlas - "Heaven, we hope, is just up the road"

ETIAW: "Heaven is in sight"

And a less explicit connection to the same idea:

U.F.O. - "I know, I swear, we'll find somewhere the streets are paved with gold"

Paradise - most of the song :)

Adding on to this, (a little less obvious) but the lyrics from What If makes this a "lyric triplet":

"How can you know it, if you don't even try"

BTW, what a gorgeous song that is...

Also, not sure if this was posted before, but, lyrics from White Shadows:

"Things you never understand" --> reference to the title "Things I Don't Understand".

Just came up with another one (lyric triplet! :D). These are only loosely connected and are probably a coincidence but I think it works. This is also the first entry to include a newest song, Amazing Day!! :D

Amazing Day: "Sat on a roof, named every star"

White Shadows: "All of the stars and the outer space"

Politik: "Look at Earth from outer space"

All of them involve outer space/stars... another thing with Coldplay just like with flying. I think I posted a possible theory as to what this may mean on the last page...

Yellow: "Look at the stars, look how they shine for you"

Ink: "See the stars begin to shine"

Moving to Mars: "Somewhere up above the stars"

Chris has a clear obsession with stars here. :D

Yellow: "Look at the stars, look how they shine for you"

Ink: "See the stars begin to shine"

Moving to Mars: "Somewhere up above the stars"

Chris has a clear obsession with stars here. :D

Yup... :D It's mostly apparent in GS but if you look it's elsewhere too :P

Twisted Logic: "Sunlight opened up my eyes"

UFO: "Sunlight comes streaming through the holes"

Daylight: "To my surprise, and my delight. I saw sunrise, I saw sunlight" "And the clouds burst to show daylight"

Us Against the World: "Morning come bursting the clouds, amen"

I'm thinking of so many of these lyrical connections right now... :p