✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay Songs referencing other coldplay songs

Doolittle2008

Alright, so i just thought of this game. Pretty much what you do is think of a time in a coldplay song that they said the title to another song.

this applies to all b sides and unreleased too.

Try to only post one or two per post so you don't steal them all lol

Heres one:

LITII: "gravity release me, and don't ever hold me down, now my feet won't touch the ground"

Strawberry swing: "cold cold water, bring me round, now my feet won't touch the ground"

refrence to the song "now my feet won't touch the ground.

Theres plenty more.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
Chris seems to be very fond of his feet either not touching the ground or no more keeping his feet on the ground (the latter on the Safety EP)

you know he once said that if he could have a super power, he wanted to be able to fly.

On X&Y particularly the song Speed of Sound, there's this stanza:

"The buildings that you put up

Japan and China all lit up"

Chris mentioned Japan and China on that song which eventually became part of song titles on the next two albums:

Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

- Lovers in Japan

Mylo Xyloto

- Princess of China

:wink3:

• 3 months later...
How about...

Violet Hill: I don't want to be a soldier, or the captain of some sinking ship

Bucket For a Crown: I don't want to be the captain of a sinking ship

Right, another analogy ! The more you look and the more closely you listen, the more you find :)

(even though the VH lyric actually goes "I don't want to be a soldier, who the captain of some sinking ship would stow, far below)

Guest diogo_sg

True Love:

And all along

The fire below

Would rise

Ink:

All I know

Is that I'm lost

In your fire below

"I live to see the world"

I was a bit tired when I typed my last post in this thread haha :)

Anyways how about...

The Scientist: I'm going back to the start

Square One: You wonder if your chance will ever come, well if you're stuck in square one

There's the same idea of going back to the start, which can also be referred to as square one.

I was a bit tired when I typed my last post in this thread haha :)

Anyways how about...

The Scientist: I'm going back to the start

Square One: You wonder if your chance will ever come, well if you're stuck in square one

There's the same idea of going back to the start, which can also be referred to as square one.

If we take it idea wise, I'd add UATW here ("and just start again")

• 4 weeks later...
you know he once said that if he could have a super power, he wanted to be able to fly.

A-ha! That explains Chris' thing with birds! In "Fly On" :

"Maybe one day I'll fly next to you"

"Fly on, ride through"

"Maybe one day I can fly with you"

These lyrics in turn seem to slightly remind of "No More Keeping My Feet On The Ground". And as you said, he said himself he wanted to be able to fly. There are numerous references in Coldplay's songs hinting of this, including:

• "No More Keeping My Feet On The Ground (song)"
  • The lyrics in We Never Change: "I wanna fly and never come down"
  • The lyrics in LITII: "gravity release me, and don't ever hold me down, now my feet won't touch the ground"
  • The lyrics in Strawberry Swing: "cold cold water, bring me round, now my feet won't touch the ground" (not exactly flying but still no feet touching the ground).
  • The lyrics in Paradise: "In the night, the stormy night, away she flies."
  • Mentions of birds in "Speed of Sound", and there's a song named "Up With The Birds".
  • Also, even in Fly On as I said he mentions birds, referring back to "Up With The Birds".
  • many, many more examples, too long to list here.

He seems to have a thing for wanting to be able to fly...

I have A Head Full Of Dreams... and one of them is to go to a Coldplay Concert :laugh4:

A-ha! That explains Chris' thing with birds! In "Fly On" :

"Maybe one day I'll fly next to you"

"Fly on, ride through"

"Maybe one day I can fly with you"

These lyrics in turn seem to slightly remind of "No More Keeping My Feet On The Ground". And as you said, he said himself he wanted to be able to fly. There are numerous references in Coldplay's songs hinting of this, including:

• "No More Keeping My Feet On The Ground (song)"
  • The lyrics in We Never Change: "I wanna fly and never come down"
  • The lyrics in LITII: "gravity release me, and don't ever hold me down, now my feet won't touch the ground"
  • The lyrics in Strawberry Swing: "cold cold water, bring me round, now my feet won't touch the ground" (not exactly flying but still no feet touching the ground).
  • Mentions of birds in "Speed of Sound", and there's a song named "Up With The Birds".
  • Also, even in Fly On as I said he mentions birds, referring back to "Up With The Birds".

He seems to have a thing for wanting to be able to fly...

I have A Head Full Of Dreams... and one of them is to go to a Coldplay Concert :laugh4:

In the Strawberry Swing video, Chris plays a Superman sort of character who can fly. Also, there is a flight reference in the lyrics of Paradise: "In the night, the stormy night, away she flies."