✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2016-06-23] Amsterdam ArenA, Amsterdam, Netherlands

stephen

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also right next to me TheSavage and timyyy, I recognize that Carrasco Belgium shirt!

We were also a bit late so we decided to stand near the C-stage. It was amazing to see them so close! I really hoped they would play Amsterdam, See You Soon or Don't Panic but Til Kingdom Come was a really nice surprise. The only downside from standing near the C-stage was that I could not see them really well on the A-stage, the average Dutchman is too tall for me...

Overall it was a great show and I am sure everyone will have a great time tonight! Chris promised they will be back soon in the Netherlands. Hopefully it is true as Coldplay concerts are really addictive. I can't go tonight but can't wait till they come again!

Haha, we thought we had the right to wear the Belgian shirt [emoji6] maybe I was standing next to you without knowing it.. Next time we have to wear the coldplaying shirts!

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Coldplaying mobile app

So I unexpectedly got a free ticket for this show :freak: here's a long ass review type of thing (ft. a photo or two), if anyone's interested

A lot of cats, a little bit of macaroni, and Coldplay

Well that was quite the day.

Everything started as planned; I took the train to Amsterdam, met up with a Twitter friend and visited the cat café. :dazzled: Our obligatory selfie with a cat kind of failed, and of course it was all the cat's fault.

After a lot of kitty-petting and -watching, we travelled to Bijlmer. After my friend had entered the stadium, I walked over to entrance G (my queue for night two) to see how things looked over there. I watched some people go in and got rather jealous, but it was also sunny and the atmosphere around the stadium was very nice so I stayed there for a bit.

Of course I couldn't stay there the whole night; humans have to eat from time to time and stuff like that, so I met up with another Twitter friend and Tash, whom I hope some of you remember as the mod who used to keep this place up-to-date Coldplay-wise, and we went to buy some food at the supermarket. That's where the madness started. When I had finally managed to choose what to eat (I am used to my mum choosing for me), I randomly looked at my phone and saw a bunch of people were tweeting me. The tweets involved a lot of exclamation marks, the account @coldplaytix and the word 'giveaway'. The unfortunate thing was that I had zero reception in the supermarket. I desperately tried to load the tweets for a couple of minutes, holding my phone up in the air like a lunatic, and apparently also shaking like a leaf. No avail, and when Tash did manage to load the tweets, there was already a reply saying the ticket was gone. Bummer, but hey I was still going the next day so I bought my macaroni and we went to the hostel.

Then, all of a sudden, the ticket person tweeted me saying "DM me!!!!" I flipped my shit and literally DMed her 4 question marks, then asked what was happening. Apparently the person who replied to the tweet before I could, only wanted the ticket if it got sent to them. That was obviously impossible since the ticket holder was already on his way to the stadium. I didn't know what to do or say for a couple of minutes but I obviously didn't see a big disadvantage in going except for being tired in the queue the next day. And who cares about that, right? So I ate only half of my macaroni, got my shit sort of together and went back to the stadium.

I greeted my ticket hero with the word "HERO!", then definitely did not thank him enough and a couple of minutes later, after I had flipped my shit a second time upon seeing the actual stadium full of people, I was Xylobanded and standing at the C-stage, second row. That's a great spot considering how late we were. And because there is this sort of open space near the C-stage, I could actually see some of the stadium and not just people's backs.

Unexpected Coldplay gig from far away

We got in near the end of Lianne La Havas' set and throughout her last songs it just wouldn't sink in yet. It hit me when the intro started playing. I am not a fan of opera at all, but it was so touching for some reason. Then the intro videos: 2 fans from each show saying hi on the middle screen, and a map indicating all the cities on the side screens. It ended with the introduction for the Dutch shows, and then A Head Full Of Dreams kicked in. A song I don't even like on the album, but when you're in a stadium with 70 000 people that doesn't really matter.

Hearing Yellow live for the first time was very nice, and people were singing along at the back too, unless that was some weird echo. The Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall confetti didn't reach me and I remember regretting not having a barrier to barrier-drum on. But knowing I had a good chance of getting a barrier the next day, I wasn't bothered at all. After all this concert was a free (!) bonus.

The Scientist, a very nice sing along - 9.5/10. Then Birds, also known as BIRDS! Hands down the best song on A Head Full Of Dreams. Paradise was just Paradise; it was more like an intro to the remix to be honest. I had heard good things about that one, and I can only echo those good things. Mother of remixes.

Always In My Head on the other hand…. It's a good one to recover from the remix I guess. Weird song choice for a stadium gig but it's over in the blink of an eye anyway so people didn't even have enough time to go and get a drink. Speaking of weird song choices: fucking Princess Of China. Why. On. Earth. The only thing I liked about it was that I got a good MX vibe and it's nice to get the vibe of a tour you missed, but honestly it didn't make sense to play it at all. It would have if Rihanna was there but she wasn't, so why play this when there are so many great songs to choose from? Clocks was next and featured a lot of red lasers, and also a playbacking Chris. It's a shame but I can't really enjoy the song when I know Chris is pretending to sing. I understand he needs to rest his voice but there are better ways to do that; an instrumental, let Will sing Death Will Never Conquer, I don't know. Anything really.

This is not turning into a negative review though. Let's go back a bit and talk about the band introductions: "If that happens [brexit], then moving to Rotterdam, is gonna be our beautiful bassman Guy Berryman. Moving to The Hague is our gorgeous, lovely, anchor guitarist Jonny Buckland. I'm gonna move to Amsterdam, of course, to open some sort of T-shirt shop and maybe fix people's hair, I don't know, I'll work it out. But this man is gonna grow his own weed. It's gonna be the best weed in the world. As Donald Trump would say, it's gonna be incredible weed, incredible weed. This is Will Champion; he might become Dutch tomorrow, we'll see what happens. This is Will, our drummer. He's happy to be here and he's fucking awesome." Good band introductions, very good band introductions.

Back to the Music. The Xylobands had their full effect during Charlie Brown. I'm a bit tired of the studio version and I actually never listen to it, but I loved it live. Hymn For The Weekend then; I had been looking forward to that one. I love the song. For me it's the proof happy songs do work, and it sure worked live too. Not every note was perfect but hey, can't have everything, right? A lot of people at the back were singing along again, and Fix You didn't make them stop. Viva La Vida, excellent sing along - 9.6/10. It sounds a bit casual fan-ish but it's one of my favourite parts of a Coldplay show. I'm not sure why, it's not even the chant. Adventure Of A Lifetime is also a favourite. I love them balloons, I love that moment where Chris asks everyone to go down, and I love me some loud woohooing.

Then it was C-stage time. The kid in the request video was very cute but I hadn't even understood what song they were going to play. It turned out to be In My Place, not bad. During Til Kingdom Come, Guy's harmonica was loud. It was the first and probably also the last time in my life I had to push my earplugs deeper into my ears because a harmonica was a bit too loud. The Walk The Line cover was unexpected and seemed a bit random (yes yes I know, Johnny Cash), which I like. Amazing Day is a lovely song and A Sky Full Of Stars made everyone sing along again. After ASFOS the woman in front of me left, so I was at the barrier of the C-stage for Up & Up. View - 9.7/10.

Clqpmf9XEAEb_KU.jpg

Clqpmf-XEAAv95C.jpg

(The lack of 10/10s is mainly due to the atmosphere, which was certainly okay at the back but not that great either, except for during a couple of songs.)

• Like 2