✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

AHFOD is not on Spotify, but on a couple of pay-only platforms

Wanted to discuss this move of Coldplay with you. Considering Chris's shareholding of Tidal, it's obvious the album would be on Tidal but it is also on Apple Music, another pay-only streaming service. This move is reminiscent of Taylor Swift's some time ago.

Thoughts ?

(My own personal opinion: I am opposed to the move. They try to force consumers who don't have these two streaming services to pay for the digital album directly, as a unit. Many less wealthy bands and artists seem to have no problem with seeing their album on Spotify, and I think it is somewhat shameful that some of the most wealthy of artists like Coldplay or Taylor Swift feel the need to enrich themselves in that way. Disclaimer, I don't personally use Spotify and obviously you can find AHFOD in many other ways, but I still strongly feel it is the wrong thing.)

EDIT: I know, I know. Criticising Coldplay is not really a popular opinion here. No need to flame but if you wanna have a go at validly deconstructing the argument, well I don't care, go on and tear it apart !

I use spotify for all my music, so I'm kind of diappointed. The only music I have downloaded on my phone is the 7 albums, so I guess if I wanna listen to AHFOD, it will have to be a special thing.

I already have AOAL and Everglow in my Spotify library, will they be removed?

I read an article on this just today, where they wrote how also previous Coldplay albums were kept from Spotify for weeks/months? So its not really a new move. I guess Taylor made it come to the surface , but she´s hardly the first to do this. I kinda get it though...I mean Spotify is totally free (in some of its forms), so I can see why it would make sense to prioritise mediums which actually guarantee a sale for every listener.

Yeah, Ghost Stories had a blocking period on Spotify for about six (?) months as well. I guess it will be the same with AHFOD now.

I also use Spotify for all my streaming and was definitely disappointed that it didn't appear there. I bought the vinyl as well and got the downloads, but the ease of using Spotify (offline) on the go is just something different. I wish they would have a deal that makes these withheld albums available for premium users at least. Would be equal to Apple Music, Tidal etc. then.

Well, I caved and got Tidal for my listening pleasure. :D Will probably just take the trial month, though.

NEW COLDPLAY ALBUM WILL LAND ON SPOTIFY IN ‘NEXT FEW DAYS’

DECEMBER 6, 2015

BY TIM INGHAM

The new Coldplay album, A Head Full Of Dreams, will arrive on Spotify sooner than many people thought.

When the LP was officially released on Friday (December 4), it was notably available on paid-for streaming platforms such as Apple Music, Amazon Prime Music and TIDAL, but not Spotify.

Reports of an out-and-out snub, however, now look a little exaggerated: MBW understands that A Head Full Of Dreams will be made available on Spotify later this week, to both its free and premium customers.

Collaboration between Coldplay and Spotify won’t stop there, either: MBW is being told that “something special” is being cooked up by the band in tandem with the service, to be unveiled next year.

The last two Coldplay albums – Ghost Stories (2014) and Mylo Xyloto (2011) – both took months to arrive on Spotify after their release.

A Head Full Of Dreams, on the other hand, will have taken a matter of days to reach the platform.

Spotify last confirmed an official update on its user numbers six months ago, when it revealed it had 75m active users and 20m paying customers.

MBW understands that total user number is now nudging the magic 100m mark, with subscriber numbers moving up at a similar rate.

The Coldplay news comes as Spotify runs a series of promotions to accelerate its growth around the world.

The company is currently offering would-be customers the chance to subscribe for three months for just $0.99 in the US and £0.99 in the UK – a global promotion which expires on January 2, 2016.

x

Oh, that sounds better. Wonder what that special thing is gonna be, though - maybe a Best Of Playlist selected by the band themselves ?

Which consists entirely of MX, GS, AHFOD, and two older songs chosen by Guy and Will