✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Goodnight Sweet Prince, the Artist known as Prince has died

Christa42

FUCK 2016.

First a leading Grunge giant, Scott Weiland.

Second a leading hard rock icon, Lemmy Kilmster.

Third a Starman waiting in the sky, a person I could relate to, a true genre bender and innovator, David Bowie.

Fourth a funny man and another person I could relate to, a true gentleman, Terry Wogan.

Fifth a guitar legend and a true man to his band, the Hotel California, Glenn Frey.

Sixth a band that were only just getting started and had so much potential, Viola Beach.

Seventh, the man formally known as Prince. A rule breaker, a game changer, a man, a myth, a legend, and a creator of a song that really made me enjoy and love his works.

RIP Prince:cry:

• Like 3

I am sick over the cruel, early death of a legend, Prince. In the 80's, I spent a year Minneapolis over two work assignments. Prince was already my musical hero. Friends danced with him at his downtown nightclub. They said he barely came up over their waist. One weekend, on a whim, I took a road trip out to the country in search of his infamous purple house. My car was completely covered in mud in the rain. I never found it, but later learned it was nearby. His music, while I may not have agreed with its overt themes and language, was a big part of the soundtrack of my life. Heartbroken.

• Like 2

From Fader Magazine

FYI I did not know what "Mawkish" meant so -" sad or romantic in a foolish or exaggerated way"

Prince's Radiohead Cover Is A Reminder He Was Watching Us Too

In 2008 he performed “Creep” at Coachella.

In 2008, Prince covered Radiohead’s “Creep” at Coachella. Camera phones, affordable 3G, and social media had gone mainstream by then, but it would be years before most of us were finally able to see the eight-minute clip. Prince, protective over his work in a way that now feels prescient, monitored YouTube and Instagram and had footage taken down by claiming copyright violations. He was often called a technophobe for taking a hard line on the digital platforms that were actually upending the music industry, but he recognized that genius was a commodity to protect. “There is nothing minor about you,” he said in his acceptance speech for Artist of the Decade at the 2000 Soul Train Awards. “You are a blessed people, you are the most talented on Earth and you are still grateful. That is why upon winning in their game, you always thank God.”

He may have been particular about his business, but he wasn’t miserly. If you ever basked in Prince’s purple charisma live—I did, just once, in 2011—you'd know. From hour-long encores to audience members dancing on stage, celebrity guests, and unexpected covers, Prince could hold down a show. So I think we thirsted after the Radiohead cover not because we couldn't have it, but because it was the rare reminder, outside of being at a Prince concert or hearing him speak at an awards show, that he was watching us too.

“Creep” might be Radiohead's most mawkish song but, like Coldplay’s “The Scientist” or Lauryn Hill’s “To Zion” or Adele’s “Someone Like You” or Prince’s own “Purple Rain,” it’s unique in its ability to speak to the inner voice of literal billions. These are songs we privately cry to, together. Vulnerability can be isolating, but it’s not a solitary condition. And watching him cover “Creep” feels like a profound moment in Prince fandom. We didn’t know him like we wanted because he didn’t participate in the sinkhole of modern celebrity;

. His ineffable courage in being black, alpha, flamboyant, ageless, feminist, genius, private, and sexy, was so great we thought he couldn’t possibly be of our time—our world, even. But that video of Prince covering “Creep” at Coachella stands out because, from the soft opening riff to his closing, fishhook of a solo, it was a reminder that he might know what it was to be merely mortal like us.