Coldplay in Israel

yarok

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting plot twist. I just knew those rumous couldn't be right.

The weird thing is that there are pictures of Chris meeting with people who apparently are promotors according to their instagram accounts (pics from months ago though). Hmm.

It could be that that was something Global Citizen Festival-, not Coldplay-related.

Although the wording is a little ambiguous, so they don't have a "signed contract" - is that a hint that they still are thinking about signing something ? But then, it would be unwise to tweet this if you plan to sign something, that would be a sure way of making fans feel as though they have been fooled later on and I don't think they would do that. Hmm....

How do we know they're not donating the 5 million to charity though? I feel like it's a bit too early to judge.

I see some of your points re the hypocrisy but to be honest I struggle to see why performing in Israel is by definition always wrong. I don't support the government of my country, many Americans don't support their government, lots of Israelis don't either. And I'm pretty sure a large majority of Coldplay's fanbase in Israel belongs to that category. I really hope I'm not being too optimistic.

The only thing I struggle with (and ok it's not a minor thing) is that a concert there would support Israel's economy & that Israel can use it to show the world how great

they are. That's wrong, very wrong. Coldplay is a huge band and the #hype this concert would create would potentially spread a wrong image. But still, a lot depends on what they do with the money. For now, I still trust the band and I don't think they'd take the 5 million home and do nothing with it. We know they're decent people with brains, don't we? Imagine the slap in N*tanyahu's face if they openly donate everything to the organisation you mentioned.

For now I can't see them doing this just for the money. That's unlike them.

No matter how big a band is, they can't override governmental policies and laws. Frankly, they've played in a lot of countries with controversial political aspects to them. At the end of the day, they are professionals and do earn their living from their music and concerts, but I'm not sure you can really read anything more into their decision to tour in Israel (if it even ends up being true) than their decision to tour anywhere else. Any policies dictating who can attend etc. are almost certainly completely out of their hands.

we don't know if they are going to donate the money because it is just a suggestion I came up in attempt to please all parties & I don't think they actually read the forums to read it o_O

your comparison doesn't seem correct. There is a huge difference between performing in the U.S. for Americans & performing for American soldiers occupying Iraq. The Palestinian-Israeli conflict is not a conflict between 2 states fighting over borders, it is an occupation. Occupiers occupy the land, massacre its people & force them out of their homes, destroy them, then build settlements & reside there. Palestinians are being oppressed & discriminated in every way you can imagine.

you can compare them performing in Israel as if they were performing in apartheid South Africa in the 1970s or 80s for the white minority. There was a movement for boycotting the regime there at the time including musicians, even supported by the UN

Cultural boycott is a thing that wasn't invented just now, it actually had an effect to end this discriminating regime in South Africa. When politics fail & UN resolutions are either vetoed or remain as ink on paper because the powerful are forcing facts on the ground, it is then the responsibility of civilians to do what they can to make a change. A peaceful means to do so is boycotting, whether economical or cultural

There are already musicians joining this movement & calling for the cultural boycott of Israel, & Coldplay can't be totally oblivious of it.

www.vice.com/read/musicians-should-boycott-israel-until-palestinians-are-free-1117

I wish I were optimistic just like you, but living in this side of the world made me learn that worst case scenario always occurs, sometimes reality is even worse..I would nothing more than to be proven wrong, but all the signs are not encouraging :(

so maybe I got it wrong, but the gossip I mentioned was actually the promoters words at the time. Who says they were scouting places? both Phil & Chris went to one concert venue (Masada) with promoters. It is a venue where other concerts have been performed. The rest was Chris hanging out with friends/ fans, visiting historical sites & buying rings from jewelry shop. Unless you saw something else, he was just mixing work with fun/ tourism. He has friends there & the band have already collaborated with Israeli artists/ directors recently, so they don't believe in the cultural boycotting.

I can't tell what they are thinking, & I hate to be the one presuming bad things. If I did not care about them that much, I would not even bother to write or argue. You say they are growing, & I hate to see them grow into hypocrites who advocate one thing & work against it, specially when it directly affects me.

Actually I had seen signs of them leaning towards Israelis for a few years now, but I ignored them till I saw Chris & Phil there & read the concert rumours :broken_heart: you think it is for a special event, then I hope it won't be an event to support Israelis against terrorism or sthg :lol:

I wrote my opinion about the boycotting movement before, but let me tell that boycotting Israelis does not necessarily mean you hate them or it is contradictory to love everyone. If you have a friend & he tells you that he is gonna take a gun & kill some people, you won't applaud him & say you will support, you will do whatever you can in order to stop them from doing wrong.

Sorry for the rant. I actually dislike the fact that I had to talk politics in a music forum, but it's all Coldplay's fault.

The problem is, in this scenario, there's literally no action the band can take seen as a political statement. If they play, a lot of people will be mad because of their perceived lack of support for the Palestinians, if they don't a lot of people will be mad because of their perceived lack of support for the Israelis. They'll get negative reaction no matter which "side" they choose, when all that might really be going through their heads is a desire to play a concert somewhere they haven't been yet.

I have been reading all the threads and I don't get one thing.. What is the connection between playing a concert in Israel for your fans and politics.

Radiohead are playing in Israel, Nick cave, Aerosmith, Justin biber , guns n roses, rod Stuart, etc... Are all of them Israel politics lovers? I'm sure they don't support Israel occupation but they are professional that understands that they have fans in Israel and that's it.... Coldplay Should do the same and leave the conflict alone. It's not that simple.....

Sent from my LG-H815 using Coldplaying mobile app

• Like 2

here is an invitation they obviously did not accept because they were busy visiting military bases, & taking photos with with IDF soldiers.

[MEDIA=twitter]835381596429639680[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/BDSmovement/status/835381596429639680

Well, it is one thing thinking of playing a concert for the fans, & a totally different thing to visit soldiers in military bases..

Gai dear, tell me again what you were saying about the band not being morally bankrupt...

• Like 1

Have to say I'm very disappointed as well, to put it mildly.

Last time I checked Coldplay were still on the side of the weak & powerless (and I mean that regardless of where in the world).

Now posing with occupiers ? You do know that human rights organizations like Amnesty International, which Coldplay supposedly support, have charged these people with human rights abuses and war crimes numerous times, yes ? What were Chris and Jonny thinking ??

• Like 2

Oh he please stop the bullshit... They have pictured with Israeli soldiers so what? What that means? They were just kind enough to say yes to a bunch of soldiers that asked for a fhoto... Will you be satisfied if instead they were with hamas soldiers?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Coldplaying mobile app

You can have a different opinion but that doesn't mean other people's opinion is bullshit. Yes it's only a picture, but it's a picture with soldiers who are part of an army that's guilty of war crimes. It's not like they're taking a picture with random fans (they may be fans but that doesn't change anything) They could make an exception to their kind attitude in scenario's like this... And to answer your question: no, of course I wouldn't be satisfied if it were Hamas, of course not.

• Like 1

^^ perhaps not posing with anyone who holds weapons aimed at killing people would be more consistent with the band who always advocates peace & love..+ please watch your language..we are trying to have a civil conversation here..

• Like 2

A lot has already been said by @Captain Crieff and @Safy, but I just wanted to add: An army in which sometimes the soldiers themselves are not able to reconciliate the atrocities demanded of them with their conscience and speak out about it.

These are accounts by former IDF soldiers, they are worth a read; I specifically picked these and not another source so that no one comes here and accuses me of the reports of being biased in favor of Palestine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/08/israel-soldiers-speak-out-brutality-palestine-occupation

http://www.breakingthesilence.org.il/

I still can't get over the fact that Chris and Jonny...whatever they were thinking, don't they know what message this photo sends to the world ? They have been in the public eye for 17 years now; they should know the weight that their appearance carries, this is so disappointing.

• Like 2