✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Politik - a very personal view

Davesnell

Politik has become a very personal song to me. My 23 year old son recently took his own life and it was the first song I chose to play a week after his death. I have been suffering from the pain of his death and loved him dearly. This morning, I played Politik and it helped ease my pain.

When I listened to the words, they touched me deeply and profoundly because they seemed to me to talk about depression and suicide. Here are my thoughts on the specific lyrics:

Look at earth from outer space - look inwards at yourself

Everyone must find a place - everyone must find their own answers to their depression

Give me time and give me space - it takes time to find those answers

Give me real don't give me fake - be honest with yourself

Give me strength reserve control - be strong and have the self-control needed to hang on

Give me heart and give me soul - give me the emotions which is what makes us want to live

Give me time give us a kiss - give me time and show me love while I search

Tell me your own politik - tell me what your answers are

And open up your eyes - open up your eyes to be able to find the answers

Open up your eyes

Open up your eyes

Open up your eyes

Give me one, 'cause one is best

In confusion, confidence - when your soul is hurting and you are struggling have faith in yourself

Give me peace of mind and trust - Ease the mental anguish that is depression

Don't forget the rest of us - stay in touch with the rest of the human race

Give me strength reserve control

Give me heart and give me soul

Wounds that heal and cracks that fix - refers to healing the pain of depression

Tell me all your politik

And open up your eyes

Open up your eyes

Open up your eyes

Open up your eyes

Just open up your eyes

But give me love over, love over, love over this, ah - give me love instead of this mental pain

And give me love over, love over, love over this, ah

The basic meaning in my opinion is that a person suffering from depression and wanting to end their life needs to find the answers to their own depression. They need to open their eyes and keep give looking hard, for as long as it takes and have the strength to hold on and wait for their answers to come (rather than lose the will to live and take their own life).

For me the words give me heart and give me soul are the most important. They are about finding the one thing that makes us human, emotion. The strongest emotion is love. It is the only thing worth living for and without it we cannot live.

To all those suffering, please hold on and find your answers. Much love to you all x

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing. I don't think i've experienced anything quite like that personally, but you don't have to to appreciate the healing powers (Coldplay's) music possesses. Those who have been following me around the Random Coldplay Thoughts thread understand i'm going through a breakup right now, so on a very small level, I can understand how uplifting it can be to find a song that just clicks with you so well.

I can understand how/why the band in particular are sometimes reluctant to answer questions about what song X is about. I know what Politik is about and the circumstances in which it was written. But who am I to say what it should or should not be about. In fact, i'm not even sold that the band should either even though they penned it! The song means something slightly different to everyone, and that's the beauty of it.

Thanks again for sharing and I hope you find your answers as well.

• Like 1

Politik has become a very personal song to me. My 23 year old son recently took his own life and it was the first song I chose to play a week after his death. I have been suffering from the pain of his death and loved him dearly. This morning, I played Politik and it helped ease my pain.

When I listened to the words, they touched me deeply and profoundly because they seemed to me to talk about depression and suicide. Here are my thoughts on the specific lyrics:

Look at earth from outer space - look inwards at yourself

Everyone must find a place - everyone must find their own answers to their depression

Give me time and give me space - it takes time to find those answers

Give me real don't give me fake - be honest with yourself

Give me strength reserve control - be strong and have the self-control needed to hang on

Give me heart and give me soul - give me the emotions which is what makes us want to live

Give me time give us a kiss - give me time and show me love while I search

Tell me your own politik - tell me what your answers are

And open up your eyes - open up your eyes to be able to find the answers

Open up your eyes

Open up your eyes

Open up your eyes

Give me one, 'cause one is best

In confusion, confidence - when your soul is hurting and you are struggling have faith in yourself

Give me peace of mind and trust - Ease the mental anguish that is depression

Don't forget the rest of us - stay in touch with the rest of the human race

Give me strength reserve control

Give me heart and give me soul

Wounds that heal and cracks that fix - refers to healing the pain of depression

Tell me all your politik

And open up your eyes

Open up your eyes

Open up your eyes

Open up your eyes

Just open up your eyes

But give me love over, love over, love over this, ah - give me love instead of this mental pain

And give me love over, love over, love over this, ah

The basic meaning in my opinion is that a person suffering from depression and wanting to end their life needs to find the answers to their own depression. They need to open their eyes and keep give looking hard, for as long as it takes and have the strength to hold on and wait for their answers to come (rather than lose the will to live and take their own life).

For me the words give me heart and give me soul are the most important. They are about finding the one thing that makes us human, emotion. The strongest emotion is love. It is the only thing worth living for and without it we cannot live.

To all those suffering, please hold on and find your answers. Much love to you all x

So sorry to hear what happened :( Wishing you lots of strength and sending you a big hug.