✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mixtape Exchange #20 [REVIEWS & TRACKLISTS]

arushofjacktothehead

Hello,

I have a problem and I've already informed @arushofjacktothehead about it. As I had to fly abroad due to an accident in our family when I was going to make a mixtape this week, this all led to my inability to make it now. At first I thought of withdrawing but then I asked for postponing the deadline for sharing mixtapes to next Tuesday. I hope I'll be understood. I'm sorry for causing this inconvenience and I believe it is also my obligation to let you, the rest of participants, know about this.

• Like 3

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I have a problem and I've already informed @arushofjacktothehead about it. As I had to fly abroad due to an accident in our family when I was going to make a mixtape this week, this all led to my inability to make it now. At first I thought of withdrawing but then I asked for postponing the deadline for sharing mixtapes to next Tuesday. I hope I'll be understood. I'm sorry for causing this inconvenience and I believe it is also my obligation to let you, the rest of participants, know about this.

Hope all is well with your family and the accident isn't grave !

• Like 1

Here's to the track by track review of a mixtape that was made for me. :D

1) Great introduction song, beautiful melody. I like how instruments begin to play one by one, especially the drums.

2) This one sounds really jazzy like something from the 30s last century. I can imagine a singer performing this in a jazz club. Nice voice, anyway.

3) This reminds me of lo-fi music as though I had found it on Soundcloud. Interesting to hear a female and male voice blending together.

4) Is this folk or country music? It's not a cup of my tea but I enjoyed it. Quite refreshing and something different for a while. Like something I expect grandparents to play at their homes.

5) This one is marvellous! Very radio-friendly in my opinion. I didn't resist the temptation and looked for the song by lyrics I had been able to caught. I was suprised to find out who sang this one. I might check their music!

6) I'm keen on this one as it's incredible. Though it's an instrumental track I imagined someone singing over it. Really splendid song. I need to find more songs similar to this one.

7) Slow song suitable for slow dance I guess. It sounds quite sentimental to me.

8) This one makes me think of 80s' and 90s' music. Very disco and almost like a dancefloor filler. Again I looked for the song and I was amazed to learn that it was released last year!

9) This one also sounds 80s and 90s to me. Retro and cute track. Perhaps an aerobics song for children.

10) I couldn't believe that this was what it was. Oh my God, I know this one! One of my favourites by this musician. Pleasant suprise! I'm fond of the chorus.

11) Sounds like a slow pop song from the latest Top 40 chart. Is this Bebe Rexha by any chance?

12) Um, something Betty Who or Dua Lipa would sing but the melody is so The Chainsmokers-esque.

13) It's like something I would play after a bad day at school or work or even at a family gathering. Like when you're feeling low but you want to buoy yourself up.

14) I like his voice. I find the way he sings mesmerizing. Uplifting and fine to listen.

15) This one might be used as a "sorry-for-what-I've-done song". This reminds me of track 13.

16) I didn't expect that singing-talking or spoken word so this was really refreshing. It's like a companion to track 2.

17) Truly shocked to hear this song! I can't remember the last time I listened to this song so it must have been ages ago. Well, appropriate outro and calming song for the end.

I find this mixtape well-done and am glad to have heard something I've never heard before. Definitely will keep this mixtape saved in the computer and my mobile phone to revisit it again as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I have limited (mobile) internet right now and the mixtape I got is in wav, almost 900 MB, so I can't download them these days :( I'll probably have to wait until next Monday or so...

EDIT: Just got them in Mp3, so I decided to download them now after all ! Will listen and comment later today :D

• Like 1

From the names of the tracks to the lack of capitalization in some, before listening to the mixtape I think it might have been made by @arushofjacktothehead (it looks kind of similar to the one you posted publicly !) But I'm not sure if it's just the four of us (MMTS, LRLRA, yoyo2000 and myself) exchanging these tapes.

Well, gonna listen now and tell you my honest opinions:

1. Oh my god, begins and ends with a modem dial. This instrumental track sounds very spacey and science fictiony, also reminds me a bit of the intro music that played at an Arcade Fire concert I went to this year.

2. The synthy, heavy soundscape in this reminds me of a Wolf Alice song I heard on the radio. Could this be another Wolf Alice song ?

3. The drums which start off the track remind me of The Goldrush somehow. The only lyrics I think I understood here are "wherever you go" (?), the rest sound as if they are in another language ? Interesting electric guitar rhythm on the right speaker.

4. So many female vocalists on this mixtape ! So far the songs blend into each other very well. I prefer the second half of this track that feels like a rave, although the male vocal snippets that come in at some point are a bit jarring.

5. Very atmospheric beginning set to spoken words. The rest of the song is not my cup of tea, I'm afraid, and the saxophone in the end is a nice addition but doesn't change that either.

6. I begin to think this is an all-female vocals mixtape. Understated, quiet song that could be fitting for a slow dance late at night.

7. Electronic dance track that sounds like Madonna with a touch of Gwen Stefani.

8. OK, this is an all-female vocals mixtape, right ? Another synthy song. The chiming melody in the background that comes to the foreground in the middle part of the song is nice, rest of the soundscape is not my thing.

9. The melody and sound of this song are very reminiscent of early MGMT. I like it when songs have a strong leitmotif/melody that gets repeated.

10. A male vocalist for a change, and there goes my previous assumption :D I expected this song to evolve somewhat differently after what seemed like this huge buildup at the beginning. A lot of chopped up vocal snippets in this one too.

11. I like the melody at the beginning. Unexpected false end in the middle before the chorus resumes again.

12. The modem dial comes back to haunt me. Then calm guitar and piano chimes occasionally pierced by strange drilling noises. Instrumental then builds up to another electronic rave before it unexpectedly drops in volume, back to acoustic piano and guitar - again very unexpected (track seems a bit comparable to 42 in structure). Probably my favourite track of the whole mixtape, a beautiful and calming closer.

After hearing the songs and the way the songs blend into each other still believe it could have been made by arushofjacktothehead. But I might be completely wrong. If it's not him, my second guess would be @LeftrightleftArchi :D And who knows, maybe I'm wrong again.

Whoever made it, thank you so much for making it and introducing me to music I had never heard before. The mixtape was put together well and had a great flow. The songs could have been a tad more different from each other, tempo- and style-wise; as I went along, all the songs except for No. 6 and No. 12 blurred into one in my head, but maybe that was the intention of the tape ;)

• Like 1

From the names of the tracks to the lack of capitalization in some, before listening to the mixtape I think it might have been made by @arushofjacktothehead (it looks kind of similar to the one you posted publicly !) But I'm not sure if it's just the four of us (MMTS, LRLRA, yoyo2000 and myself) exchanging these tapes.

Well, gonna listen now and tell you my honest opinions:

1. Oh my god, begins and ends with a modem dial. This instrumental track sounds very spacey and science fictiony, also reminds me a bit of the intro music that played at an Arcade Fire concert I went to this year.

2. The synthy, heavy soundscape in this reminds me of a Wolf Alice song I heard on the radio. Could this be another Wolf Alice song ?

3. The drums which start off the track remind me of The Goldrush somehow. The only lyrics I think I understood here are "wherever you go" (?), the rest sound as if they are in another language ? Interesting electric guitar rhythm on the right speaker.

4. So many female vocalists on this mixtape ! So far the songs blend into each other very well. I prefer the second half of this track that feels like a rave, although the male vocal snippets that come in at some point are a bit jarring.

5. Very atmospheric beginning set to spoken words. The rest of the song is not my cup of tea, I'm afraid, and the saxophone in the end is a nice addition but doesn't change that either.

6. I begin to think this is an all-female vocals mixtape. Understated, quiet song that could be fitting for a slow dance late at night.

7. Electronic dance track that sounds like Madonna with a touch of Gwen Stefani.

8. OK, this is an all-female vocals mixtape, right ? Another synthy song. The chiming melody in the background that comes to the foreground in the middle part of the song is nice, rest of the soundscape is not my thing.

9. The melody and sound of this song are very reminiscent of early MGMT. I like it when songs have a strong leitmotif/melody that gets repeated.

10. A male vocalist for a change, and there goes my previous assumption :D I expected this song to evolve somewhat differently after what seemed like this huge buildup at the beginning. A lot of chopped up vocal snippets in this one too.

11. I like the melody at the beginning. Unexpected false end in the middle before the chorus resumes again.

12. The modem dial comes back to haunt me. Then calm guitar and piano chimes occasionally pierced by strange drilling noises. Instrumental then builds up to another electronic rave before it unexpectedly drops in volume, back to acoustic piano and guitar - again very unexpected (track seems a bit comparable to 42 in structure). Probably my favourite track of the whole mixtape, a beautiful and calming closer.

After hearing the songs and the way the songs blend into each other still believe it could have been made by arushofjacktothehead. But I might be completely wrong. If it's not him, my second guess would be @LeftrightleftArchi :D And who knows, maybe I'm wrong again.

Whoever made it, thank you so much for making it and introducing me to music I had never heard before. The mixtape was put together well and had a great flow. The songs could have been a tad more different from each other, tempo- and style-wise; as I went along, all the songs except for No. 6 and No. 12 blurred into one in my head, but maybe that was the intention of the tape ;)

nope. mine a lot was longer than 12 tracks ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So here's another review I've written, this time focusing on the mixtape by @arushofjacktothehead .

1) It begins with a sound of a river, than you can hear footsteps and a bang as if you closed the car boot door. Another footsteps, door being opened followed by a miaow. (I could hear a cat but I'm not sure if that really had been an animal.) Then few notes of dance music while a car goes by fast... Finally, a melody comes in which reminds me of retrowave or synthwave, something I can imagine Pet Shop Boys or The Sound of Arrows would release. A distorted female voice whispers and out of nowhere there's a male voice shouting the same sentence and later singing. In my opinion this sounds really euphoric and festive, almost like something that might be played at a major sport event (let's say "Olympics"), very suitable for the winter.

2) It starts with few chords of bass or guitar and a telephone ringing in the background. (That's very 90s!) Also a man talking quietly while the sound becomes a little bit psychedelic. Then another melody kicks in with a deep male voice singing. This must be rock for sure but the singer sounds so preachy as though the end of the world was approaching. The end sounds more joyful and carefree. Ends with glass breaking and many people chatting.

3) People screaming, buildings crumbling, missiles shooting across the sky and hitting the targets. Sounds of a battle or war? Replaced with a song focused on the piano and some synths, joined by a bass. Oh, a male singer singing! Sounds like he's regretting something. I can't recall any details of this track but it sounds familiar to me. Then a guitar breakdown! Woah, this is the best part for me, love that sound. I wish it had lasted longer. The song ends with a dialouge between two males.

4) At the beginning there are still the voices from the end of the previous song. Later a mysterious melody appears, sounds very futuristic (#freshfor3000). May serve as a soundtrack to a gangland or underworld. In the end it turns into a city noise.

5) I've never heard this song before but I instantly recognized the melody, sampling Shape of My Heart by Sting. (Or it's the other way round?) A heartbreak song, sounds quite sad and melancholic. This might be Post Malone on the track. At the end I can hear a radio being tuned then a very old song, something our grandparents would happily bop to. Though I hardly ever find this type of songs voluntarily, I enjoyed it.

6) Two words. Ambient music? Anyway, splendid and calming song! It feels like entering another dimension or floating in the space. Love the way it makes me feel. :D

7) The first few seconds sound like Line of Sight by ODESZA to me. However, soon it turns into a dark melody with noise of photographs taking photos in the background, people shouting as though they were running away. Perhaps a sound of a gun firing or helicopter blades rotating. Still people being frightened and cursing. It's like a horrible nightmare. Then a pulsating sound comes in and it reminds me of James Bond. Thrilling and creepy, something I would connect with a haunted house.

8) Begins with sounds of a machine. Then I can hear wind chimes and the sea waves crashing upon a shore. Oh, I know this one! What a pleasant discovery this was! I don't listen to this song much that's why I was more keen on it than anytime else. It's like this song is a crescendo, the energy just builds up and in the end it feels like a light explosion. Not that big but still wonderful.

9) Begins with an alarm clock and then a guitar kicks in! This also must be rock. Reminds me of Thirty Seconds to Mars meeting Savage Garden meeting U2. Uplifting and inspiring track though.

10) An instrumental track, futuristic (#freshfor3000), pulsating, completely out of this world but then a string instrument joins. I perceived it as a banjo. It has that Eastern feeling and somehow sounds desolated.

11) Korean language! Whatever sung in Korean becomes my guilty pleasure. :D At first I considered this a song by the rappers of BTS (arguably the biggest and hottest boy band out there!) that I've never heard before but the chorus sounds as sung by DEAN. Great bass and very groovy song. It makes me think of warm late spring evening. Something like a scene when a boy and a girl go on a date with each other.

12) Starts with a siren howling, later followed by a brass instrument. (probably a saxophone) A female voice singing about inviting someone on the dance floor but the song reminds of film scenes in which a protagonist is fleeing before enemies not to be caught. (Maybe Matrix film series?) Anyway, something that could have been released by Fatboy Slim or The Prodigy (#freshfor2000). Very energetic, dance track with those hard-hitting beats and irresistable instrumental.

13) Very Euro-pop. The female singer reminds me of Medina or any other female soloist releasing dance tracks whether energetic or mellow around the years 2008 to 2011. Also joined by a choir which lifts up this track to a higher ground. (Mission accomplished!)

14) Begins with a city noise, makes me feel like being in rush and hurry. Soon followed by an instrumental which reminds me of ambient music but this track doesn't sound much ethereal in my eyes. Yet intriguing and mystifying.

15) Sounds like lo-fi music to me. A male singer appears and a band accompanies him which makes it more rock. This might have been released by any Britpop band back in the 90s. (Oasis, Blur, The Verve...)

16) Third time lucky. Ambient music again? I don't mind, I'm fond of that. :D But as the last track in this mixtape it's been used appropiately. Wise choice of a closing song. Not much to describe. It literally makes me wanna sleep right here, right now which doesn't mean that it's bad. It just sounds calming and mesmerizing.

It crossed my mind that some songs or "random noises" which appear in some of the songs above might have been intended as interludes. If so, then that's very creative and noteworthy.

In conclusion, I've really enjoyed this mixtape, I mean, this is I'd call a shocker! Really marvellous collection and interesting tracks in it. Thank you for making this mixtape and sharing it with us all!

I'm sorry for such a long post but I just couldn't help myself. :joy:

• Like 1

So here's another review I've written, this time focusing on the mixtape by @arushofjacktothehead .

1) It begins with a sound of a river, than you can hear footsteps and a bang as if you closed the car boot door. Another footsteps, door being opened followed by a miaow. (I could hear a cat but I'm not sure if that really had been an animal.) Then few notes of dance music while a car goes by fast... Finally, a melody comes in which reminds me of retrowave or synthwave, something I can imagine Pet Shop Boys or The Sound of Arrows would release. A distorted female voice whispers and out of nowhere there's a male voice shouting the same sentence and later singing. In my opinion this sounds really euphoric and festive, almost like something that might be played at a major sport event (let's say "Olympics"), very suitable for the winter.

2) It starts with few chords of bass or guitar and a telephone ringing in the background. (That's very 90s!) Also a man talking quietly while the sound becomes a little bit psychedelic. Then another melody kicks in with a deep male voice singing. This must be rock for sure but the singer sounds so preachy as though the end of the world was approaching. The end sounds more joyful and carefree. Ends with glass breaking and many people chatting.

3) People screaming, buildings crumbling, missiles shooting across the sky and hitting the targets. Sounds of a battle or war? Replaced with a song focused on the piano and some synths, joined by a bass. Oh, a male singer singing! Sounds like he's regretting something. I can't recall any details of this track but it sounds familiar to me. Then a guitar breakdown! Woah, this is the best part for me, love that sound. I wish it had lasted longer. The song ends with a dialouge between two males.

4) At the beginning there are still the voices from the end of the previous song. Later a mysterious melody appears, sounds very futuristic (#freshfor3000). May serve as a soundtrack to a gangland or underworld. In the end it turns into a city noise.

5) I've never heard this song before but I instantly recognized the melody, sampling Shape of My Heart by Sting. (Or it's the other way round?) A heartbreak song, sounds quite sad and melancholic. This might be Post Malone on the track. At the end I can hear a radio being tuned then a very old song, something our grandparents would happily bop to. Though I hardly ever find this type of songs voluntarily, I enjoyed it.

6) Two words. Ambient music? Anyway, splendid and calming song! It feels like entering another dimension or floating in the space. Love the way it makes me feel. :D

7) The first few seconds sound like Line of Sight by ODESZA to me. However, soon it turns into a dark melody with noise of photographs taking photos in the background, people shouting as though they were running away. Perhaps a sound of a gun firing or helicopter blades rotating. Still people being frightened and cursing. It's like a horrible nightmare. Then a pulsating sound comes in and it reminds me of James Bond. Thrilling and creepy, something I would connect with a haunted house.

8) Begins with sounds of a machine. Then I can hear wind chimes and the sea waves crashing upon a shore. Oh, I know this one! What a pleasant discovery this was! I don't listen to this song much that's why I was more keen on it than anytime else. It's like this song is a crescendo, the energy just builds up and in the end it feels like a light explosion. Not that big but still wonderful.

9) Begins with an alarm clock and then a guitar kicks in! This also must be rock. Reminds me of Thirty Seconds to Mars meeting Savage Garden meeting U2. Uplifting and inspiring track though.

10) An instrumental track, futuristic (#freshfor3000), pulsating, completely out of this world but then a string instrument joins. I perceived it as a banjo. It has that Eastern feeling and somehow sounds desolated.

11) Korean language! Whatever sung in Korean becomes my guilty pleasure. :D At first I considered this a song by the rappers of BTS (arguably the biggest and hottest boy band out there!) that I've never heard before but the chorus sounds as sung by DEAN. Great bass and very groovy song. It makes me think of warm late spring evening. Something like a scene when a boy and a girl go on a date with each other.

12) Starts with a siren howling, later followed by a brass instrument. (probably a saxophone) A female voice singing about inviting someone on the dance floor but the song reminds of film scenes in which a protagonist is fleeing before enemies not to be caught. (Maybe Matrix film series?) Anyway, something that could have been released by Fatboy Slim or The Prodigy (#freshfor2000). Very energetic, dance track with those hard-hitting beats and irresistable instrumental.

13) Very Euro-pop. The female singer reminds me of Medina or any other female soloist releasing dance tracks whether energetic or mellow around the years 2008 to 2011. Also joined by a choir which lifts up this track to a higher ground. (Mission accomplished!)

14) Begins with a city noise, makes me feel like being in rush and hurry. Soon followed by an instrumental which reminds me of ambient music but this track doesn't sound much ethereal in my eyes. Yet intriguing and mystifying.

15) Sounds like lo-fi music to me. A male singer appears and a band accompanies him which makes it more rock. This might have been released by any Britpop band back in the 90s. (Oasis, Blur, The Verve...)

16) Third time lucky. Ambient music again? I don't mind, I'm fond of that. :D But as the last track in this mixtape it's been used appropiately. Wise choice of a closing song. Not much to describe. It literally makes me wanna sleep right here, right now which doesn't mean that it's bad. It just sounds calming and mesmerizing.

It crossed my mind that some songs or "random noises" which appear in some of the songs above might have been intended as interludes. If so, then that's very creative and noteworthy.

In conclusion, I've really enjoyed this mixtape, I mean, this is I'd call a shocker! Really marvellous collection and interesting tracks in it. Thank you for making this mixtape and sharing it with us all!

I'm sorry for such a long post but I just couldn't help myself. :joy:

...yeah. i'm a sucker for ambient music, so i plonked it all over that goddamn thing. fits well with it's futuristic aesthetic/theme. very happy that you enjoyed my tape! there will be a sequel to it in the future called Futureworlds_002.

Real Track-list

1. Intro- M83 feat. Zola Jesus

2. Colossus- IDLES

3. Burning In The Skies- Linkin Park (w/ Matrix end sample)

4. Eye Of The Temple- 2 8 1 4 (w/ continued Matrix opening sample)

5. Lucid Dreams- Juice WRLD/All I Have To Do Is Dream- The Everly Brothers

6. An Obedient Ear- Olan Mill

7. Volk- Thom Yorke (w/ It and Slipknot samples)

8. Careful Where You Stand- Coldplay (w/ Boredoms- Super You sample)

9. Find Me- Kings of Leon

10. Gossip- Tame Impala

11. Trivia 轉: Seesaw- BTS

12. Warrior's Dance- The Prodigy

13. Loud Places- Jamie xx feat. Romy

14. あなたの愛への憧れ- t e l e p a t h

15. 505- Arctic Monkeys

16. Treefingers- Radiohead

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Where are the other reviews ?

Spent a lot of my very limited mobile internet budget to download and listen to the mixtape I received so that i could review it in time. A bit disappointed that 5 weeks later the one I made still hasn't been reviewed...

• Like 2

Where are the other reviews ?

Spent a lot of my very limited mobile internet budget to download and listen to the mixtape I received so that i could review it in time. A bit disappointed that 5 weeks later the one I made still hasn't been reviewed...

it would seem as if the person i sent it to has yet to respond. that's a shame. hopefully they will eventually. they should, at least. they definitely recieved it.

How did you find out about ambient music? :)

...that's a simple answer: Jon Hopkins and Treefingers. I'd probably say that Radiohead was the band who not only introduced me to other ambient artists, but also loads of other rock/alternative artists as well.

(But I wouldn't have been introduced to Radiohead if it wasn't for Coldplay's blog post about them failing to play Paranoid Android, lol)

• Like 1

...that's a simple answer: Jon Hopkins and Treefingers. I'd probably say that Radiohead was the band who not only introduced me to other ambient artists, but also loads of other rock/alternative artists as well.

(But I wouldn't have been introduced to Radiohead if it wasn't for Coldplay's blog post about them failing to play Paranoid Android, lol)

Oh, what an interesting trigger!

• 2 weeks later...
Will we ever see reviews by those ones who haven't written them here yet? I'm a little bit fed up as some of us had to sacrifice our free time to listen to mixtapes and share our opinions on it... Didn't truly expect it to come to this point at all but oh well.

i don't know, tbh. people seem to be creating/posting on other threads and this one seems to have been left in the dark. if all has truly come to a halt here, then maybe when the next exchange happens we can continue where this one left off first, before you all create your next tapes.

• Like 1